Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

13 Slasher Movies You’ve Never Seen (But Should)

NEVER seen?

I've seen all but #5-7.

Don't waste your time with Cherry Falls and Hatchet. They are incredibly boring.

by Anonymousreply 2007/23/2013

I'm not Psych101. You got a list or a link?

by Anonymousreply 107/11/2013

Oops

by Anonymousreply 207/11/2013

Have people really never heard of "Motel Hell" or "Silent Night Deadly Night"? And no mention that "Scream" totally ripped of the ending of "Happy Birthday To Me."

"Cherry Falls" was supposedly much better before the MPAA forced major cuts but I somehow think slasher fans have built up the cut gore footage into something more than it probably is.

"Valentine" is another one that had much of the violence cut out but I don't think any added gore could make that what you'd call a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 307/11/2013

Gabriel Mann has a toe sucking scene in "Cherry Falls". Unfortunately, them feets belong to Brittany Murphy.

I LOVE "Curtains" starring bug-eyed Joan Collins lookalike, Samantha Eggar.

by Anonymousreply 407/11/2013

Ah, an old favorite: Motel Hell.

by Anonymousreply 507/11/2013

I've seen all of them except Curtains, Twitch of the Death Nerve and Blood Rage. I had heard of all of them except Blood Rage. LAME list.

by Anonymousreply 607/11/2013

Is "Curtains" worth renting?

by Anonymousreply 707/11/2013

"Curtains" has a few good moments and lots of dull stretches. It was plagued with production problems - the backstory of the making of the movie is almost more interesting than the finished product. But that ice-skating scene is good stuff.

It's kind of hard to track down to watch. It's probably on youtube and a VHS rip is available on one of those Horror Movie DVD Collections if you want to dig in the Walmart bins. No decent DVD release exists.

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2013

Seen 90 % of them too. But I'm sure that list is intended for folks who were not even born when most of those flicks came out. The only one any of that audience might know would be the most recent one 'Hatchet'.

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2013

Yeah I've seen everything but Blood Rage, which I hadn't even heard of. Love Curtains!

The best forgotten slasher movie is Just Before Dawn, which might not be as forgotten as it once was since it's gotten a DVD release and is on Netflix now. But I think it's legitimately scary, and has one of the best final girls ever.

Hatchet and Hatchet 2 are terrible. How could they not list Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon in that junk's spot?

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2013

I've never seen "The Fan", that Lauren Bacall thriller form the '80's.

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2013

I'm not really much of a horror nut, so maybe that's the problem, but I stumbled across both MOTEL HELL and SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT and I really didn't care for either of them. MOTEL HELL was difficult to sit through in particular.

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2013

What about "sleep away Camp"? Or has everyone already seen that one?

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2013

I've got 'Blood Rage' on VHS tape. Bought it years ago for a buck. Still haven't watched it.

by Anonymousreply 1407/13/2013

I think Cherry Falls was very underrated and deserved a better release than it got. And The Fan is pretty interesting R11. It has the gayest sensibility of any horror film (outside of A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, of course).

by Anonymousreply 1507/13/2013

Motel Hell scared the shit out of me as a kid, even though (seen today) it's borderline camp.

The scences of living people buried vertically with their heads sticking out of the ground and their vocal chords sliced freaked my shit out.

by Anonymousreply 1607/13/2013

Thanks, R8.

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2013

"Curtains" update: Synapse has acquired the rights to release the movie and is right now working on restoring the film from a 35mm master. They're also working on the original "Prom Night." Great news for slasher fans.

by Anonymousreply 1807/23/2013

I loved Curtains. It was one of several Canadian slashers penned by future "General Hospital" hack Bob Guza.

What is the BTS backstory?

by Anonymousreply 1907/23/2013

Here's an interview with producer/director Peter Simpson discussing the production problems. Basically, the original director shot a slow-moving psychological thriller that Simpson didn't believe was marketable so he came in a year or so later and filmed a bunch of slasher material to try and salvage the production. Also some good info on "Prom Night," another Simpson production.

The interview is full of SPOILERS so don't read it if you've never seen the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2007/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!