Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fish oils may raise prostate cancer risks, study confirms

The same team published a study in 2011 that showed men with the highest levels of one omega-3 fatty acid called docosahexaenoic acid, DHA for short, had double the risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Other studies have had similar findings.

This is very discouraging. I take fish oil pills regularly.

by Anonymousreply 3507/14/2013

I love how "studies" are always saying "Such and such vitamin/supplement is good for you" and then a few years later, there's a "study" that same vitamin/supplement is bad. They can never make up their damn minds.

This is why I just take a regular multivitamin and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 107/10/2013

Before I get worked up about this, I need to know which brands of fish oil they studied, along with other pertinent information.

by Anonymousreply 207/10/2013

[quote]"We've shown once again that use of nutritional supplements may be harmful," said Alan Kristal of Fred Hutchinson, who also worked on the study.

I wonder where Alan Kristal gets his funding.

[quote]The difference between the group with the highest levels of omega-3s in their blood and those with the lowest works out to about what someone would get by eating salmon twice a week, the researchers said.

So it's not all about fish oil capsules. Medical experts keep telling us to increase the amounts of fish in our diet, especially fatty fish like salmon.

Again, I need to know a whole lot more about sources and amounts. This article could be very misleading.

by Anonymousreply 307/10/2013

Human nutrition studies maintain almost a higher proportion of bunk than sociological ones.

by Anonymousreply 407/10/2013

I'm vegetarian, and my doc recommended flax oil, which has a similar positive effect on blood lipids without the risky DHA component.

by Anonymousreply 507/10/2013

I remember a study a number of years ago that determined table salt had no deleterious effects on human beings.

When someone dug deeper, the study was funded by Morton Salt.

by Anonymousreply 607/10/2013

I take fish oil because without it I have joint pain.

If I'm at greater risk of cancer fine. But maybe I'll be at greater risk for cancer because I'm at less risk for heart attack and live longer.

by Anonymousreply 707/10/2013

My opthamologist wants me to take fish oil pills daily because I have a case of slight dry eye. I'm not really aware of it, but after my last thorough eye exam, that was her diagnosis.

On the other hand, I'd prefer not to cause undue damage to my prostate.

by Anonymousreply 807/10/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 907/10/2013

Probably the flaxseed oil industry.

by Anonymousreply 1007/10/2013

I'd like to see a critical analysis of the study before I put too much faith in it. And, I certainly don't expect that from NBC News. They dutifully report whatever is in a press release with little to no critical research into what the paper stated. [I would expect more in-depth reporting from The New York Times Health Section than NBC.] As R1 notes, this is why news organizations -- especially television news -- are constantly highlighting studies that report seemingly contradictory findings.

For example, there was a study a few years ago that stated that "Vitamin E may not be beneficial, and in fact may be harmful to your health." Upon closer inspection, the study applied only to plain alpha tocopherol Vitamin E and not to Vitamin E that contains "mixed tocopherols." An important and fairly critical distinction.

And, as R2, R3, and R6 observe, we need to know more about who or what group is funding the study. That is often very telling information as to whether the conclusions were predetermined from the outset.

by Anonymousreply 1107/11/2013

Fish oil made me feel queasy. Stopped taking it. Just listen to what your body tells you. Everyone's different.

by Anonymousreply 1207/11/2013

Maybe cancer causes higher levels of the chemical in the blood, rather than is caused BY higher levels of chemical in the blood. They did not show causation, just correlation.

by Anonymousreply 1307/11/2013

That's what I'm afraid of, R9. A lot of these guys have shady funding sources and they skew results to benefit those who fund them.

by Anonymousreply 1407/11/2013

What this really means is that it's not good to use fish oil as lube.

by Anonymousreply 1507/11/2013

The truth about all nutritional supplements is that it is better to get it naturally through your diet. Want the benefits of fish oil? Eat more fish!

A supplement will never be exactly the same as the actual natural source taken in with a healthy and varied diet.

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2013

Oh fer chrissakes, how many fish do you know that have prostate cancer, huh?

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2013

Read the article at the link more carefully, R16. They're saying the detrimental effects of fish oil are equivalent to eating salmon twice a week.

by Anonymousreply 1807/11/2013

[quote]Want the benefits of fish oil? Eat more fish!

R16. True, but if you eat more fish--or too much fish (whatever 'too much' might be), then you run the risk of having too much mercury in your system, which is not healthy. So yes, eat fish regularly--but the fish oil pill supplements helped to get the 'benefits' of fish while not ingesting too much mercuty.

It's a dilemma.

by Anonymousreply 1907/11/2013

Big Flax propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 2007/11/2013

People in Scandinavia take a spoonful of cod liver oil every morning as a part of their breakfast and oily fish are the staple of their diet. They also have the highest life expectancy rates in Western Europe. You do the math.

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2013

I've taken fish oil caps for a few years, but only at one-quarter the recommended rate. I figured if they were bad for us, I'd buy myself a little bit of time.I also take flaxseed oil caps, I guess they'll be next?

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2013

Centrum is running TV spots saying their product was asked to be part of a major study. In small print at the end we learn Centrum wasn't included in the results of the study.

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2013

So should I throw away my fish oil capsules?

I have about 100 left?

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2013

Don't throw away your fish oil. Look for the report to be debunked.

by Anonymousreply 2507/12/2013

To prevent queasiness from Fish Oil and Vitamin E, keep them in the refrigerator and always take with food.

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2013

Any study will get the results for the group who pays for it. Anti-vitamin studies are all funded by drug companies. They create scientific sounding names for the group doing the study to make it sound legit.

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2013

You can keep fish oil capsules in the freezer to help cut unwanted side effects.

I read this as a tip on the web in articles about fish oil.

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2013

Today Ronald Hoffman, MD, a nutritionist for 30 years discussed this study on his radio program. He said supposed health reporters have created fear where it's not warranted by regurgitating press releases without any personal investigation.

by Anonymousreply 2907/13/2013

What about Flax Seed Oil? I take that. Does it have DHA?

by Anonymousreply 3007/13/2013

r30 I wanna' know too. I stopped fish oil capsules til this thing gets settled.

by Anonymousreply 3107/13/2013

There was a recent study that showed Flax Seed Oil caused bitch tits in males, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 3207/13/2013

To those who take fish oil supplements. Do they actually help with joint pain?

by Anonymousreply 3307/13/2013

Aaron Katz, head of Urology at Winthrop University Medical Center says this was a retrospective Fish Oil study and should be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 3407/14/2013

Yes, R33. I started taking fish oil before it was known to alleviate joint pain. My doctor and I were pleasantly surprised when it had that effect.

by Anonymousreply 3507/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!