Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kelis

Who's into her? She's a highly underrated artist in my opinion. She's a total chameleon, and she was doing the avant-garde thing with her hair, wardrobe and make-up even before Lady Gaga hit the scene. Her biggest hit was "Milkshake", but she's got lot of good songs. She's bigger in Europe than she is here in the States.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 15, 2022 11:59 PM

Her first album was great. It was produced by the Neptunes and begat the singles "Caught Out There" and the moody "Get Along With You".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2013 2:15 AM

I never could get into her music, and her last album was just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2013 2:20 AM

Get Along With You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2013 2:21 AM

She released a new song a couple of months ago that was called "Call On Me", but the title was abruptly changed to "Jerk Ribs". Under either name it's still a funky, catchy track. I think it will be included on her upcoming album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2013 2:31 AM

R4 That song sucks.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2013 2:38 AM

Her music smells worse than crayons.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2013 2:39 AM

R5, you have no soul.

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2013 2:40 AM

Her music smells worse than melted crayons.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2013 2:40 AM

OP YAAAAAS hunty, so glad you made a thread about her. LOVE this woman. She would have been more famous, but she got screwed by her label after "Milkshake" became a hit. The label folded and the rest of her singles on that album weren't promoted properly in the US.

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2013 2:42 AM

It's a shame, R9, because that album had lots of potential.

She started out grungy with a gigantic multi-colored afro, but by the time 2006's "Kelis Was Here" dropped, she had changed up her style with a more sophisticated look. The first single from the album, "Bossy", was probably her biggest hit since "Milkshake". Another standout track from that album was "Goodbyes".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2013 2:54 AM

Kelis is a goddess. I hope she can get at least 1 more big mainstream hit again. What she should do is start producing and guesting on other people's records, like what Pharrell is doing. Look what a year he is having again after first making it big about 10 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2013 9:52 AM

I like the remix of Spaceship, the Benny Benassi track, features her almost exclusively. Her voice is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2013 10:08 AM

Her last album, the Euro-trance "Flesh Tone" was spectacular!

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2013 10:52 AM

[quote]Look what a year he is having again after first making it big about 10 years ago!

What is Pharrell doing nowadays that's so great? I haven't heard about him in years.

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2013 11:00 AM

I love the huskiness of her voice.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2013 10:16 PM

Kelis will remain a huge unsung talent. Im sorry that her music career stalled because of the shitty music industry. She's only 33, she might not ever get a pop hit but she still has potential for other success in music.

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2013 10:45 PM

She had one with Milkshake, R16.

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2013 10:47 PM

sorry r17, I meant another pop hit

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2013 10:52 AM

R14 gurl yes you have. Pharrell is co-writer, producer to and featured on 2 of the year's biggest hits, "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke and "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk. Pharrell is also on the newest single from Nelly "Get Like Me". Pharrell is back and making a LOT of paper this year.

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2013 8:30 PM

I like Esthero better, but her last album was meh.

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2013 10:23 PM

Never heard of her, R20

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2013 10:27 PM

LOVE HER. Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio is producing her new album - I think I have unrealistically high expectations for it but Jerk Ribs is pretty damn good.

by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2013 11:01 PM

It sure is good, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23July 12, 2013 11:02 PM

I hope her next album does well. She's great.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2013 2:39 PM

I like her song "Blindfold Me".

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2013 2:08 AM

Kelis sings lead on the Timo Maas track, "Help Me." Killer track.

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2013 3:37 AM

Going to listen to it now, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2013 4:28 AM

Esthero used to co-sing/back up vocals for Black Eyed Peas, CeeLo, etc. (I heard she was first pick for BEP when they were looking for a female member). I've also heard she was difficult to work with.

Here's one of her songs:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2013 12:02 PM

Love Jerk Ribs. Great feel.

She is a risk taker - not everything works but she's willing to take chances so good on her.

Also love Acapella.

by Anonymousreply 29July 16, 2013 12:06 PM

I love her, she is a very cool lady and has a great voice. Fleshtone is almost brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 30July 16, 2013 12:24 PM

Official "Jerk Ribs" video!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 27, 2014 12:39 AM

live performance of "Jerk Ribs" on Letterman!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 27, 2014 12:40 AM

another new song/video, "Rumble"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 27, 2014 12:45 AM

I loved Caught Out there but it grates now. I still love Good Stuff, Trick Me, and Milkshake (especially the mashup of Milkshake and Billie Jean)

by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2014 1:10 AM

Sorry, boys, we have decided that she's gone as far as she'll be allowed to go.

by Anonymousreply 35April 27, 2014 1:20 AM

Love Esthero!

I like Kelis on the Timo Maas track, Help Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 27, 2014 3:02 AM

Unlike Beyonce and Rihanna, Kelis is naturally quirky and you can really see her personality come through in her lyrics, beats and music videos. I feel she's a lot less manufactured than those 2. Kelis also has a different tone but it's not grating on the ears like Rihanna's tone. Obviously Beyonce is the best singer out of the 3.

I still stan for Kelis and it's a shame her label screwed her chances of making her HUGE. Sadly she'll be remembered as a 1 hit wonder with a few minor hits.

by Anonymousreply 37April 27, 2014 5:34 AM

Kelis did a great interview last week for Hollywood Unlocked. I dont think I've ever learned so much about her and her relationship with Nas. She really put Nas on blast for so many things. I had no idea she got married again and has another son!

I wonder if she's ever considered acting. She has a great personality and she's very outgoing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2018 8:40 PM

She’s way more interesting than Beyoncé.

by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2018 8:54 PM

I liked her disco album 21st Century I think it was called. It's pretty awesome. Not every song is great but many are. 4th of July Fireworks is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2018 9:04 PM

husband is pretty cute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2018 9:04 PM

Gorgeous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2018 9:07 PM

I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Total, complete, gold-plated classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2018 9:12 PM

I also loved "Trick Me" — those beats oh my god.

"Freedom to us has always been a trick / Freedom to you was whoever landed on your dick."

The video was brilliantly art directed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2018 9:16 PM

Ii always like her and wondered why she had not caught on she is really pretty The new is husband is way more attractive than Nas. I agree with her having a much more raw and less manufactured feel to her.

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2018 9:24 PM

She sang on ODB (ol' dirty bastard) song Got Your Money. I'd link it but I'm too lazy to figure out how. Went: Hey, Dirty, baby I got your money.

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2018 9:30 PM

FleshTone was her disco/dance album

by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2018 10:03 PM

Kelis is a farmer now, growing and selling food! What can't she do lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 8, 2021 2:00 AM

[quote] She's bigger in Europe than she is here in the States.

She'd pretty much have to be.

by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2021 2:01 AM

She's effortlessly authentic cool. It's criminal that she's not at the top of the heap.

by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2021 2:30 AM

My favorite Kelis. The video is fun, though I think it could've been better edited. The song is uplifting, and definitely a banger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 8, 2021 2:36 AM

I always liked Kelis. The Kaleidoscope album was probably my favorites. She has a lot of goods album tracks and remixes too. That album that was never released in the US was good.

by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2021 2:39 AM

Get Along With You is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2021 2:51 AM

Kelis Was Here was a really good album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 8, 2021 2:53 AM

She hit with a bang and made really interesting music. Then she married Nas and I think he was intimidated by her creativity and wanted to ensure he would be the only musical 'genius' in the household. I think it may have stunted her creative development as an artist. But through it all she always had strong cuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 8, 2021 3:01 AM

In 2001, she came with "Young Fresh and New" and I thought she was on her way. But the label didn't support it and it wasn't a hit. Her sophomore album wasn't even released in the U.S. That's how they used to do the girls that refused to conform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2021 3:11 AM

Does anyone else remember Millionaire?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 8, 2021 9:46 AM

I love Kelis and I'm glad she's getting attention. I always found her underrated. This is refreshing compared to the millions of Madonna, Gaga, Swift and Britney threads that keep popping up everyday.

by Anonymousreply 58February 8, 2021 11:35 AM

I love Kelis. Was lucky enough to see her perform at Shepherd's Bush ten (!) years ago and it remains one of the most brilliant gigs I've ever been to. She was fantastic. It got 5 star reviews from even the most unusual newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 59February 8, 2021 11:42 AM

LOVE Millionaire. Used to play it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 60February 8, 2021 2:52 PM

Millionaire is amazing! I always thought her mid tempos were her strong point not the shouty ones she's known for. 'In Public', 'Brave', 'Bless The Telephone', 'Good Stuff' and my fave 'Bossy'! she also did a cool track with RichardX back in the day.....name escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 61February 8, 2021 6:25 PM

R61 Finest Dreams

by Anonymousreply 62February 8, 2021 6:32 PM

Perfect Day from Wanderland is amazing. No Doubt is playing the instruments on the track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 9, 2021 12:57 AM

I always think really fondly of Kelis, even though I don't know much about her music. The first thing I heard was "Caught Out There", and my brother and I just fell about laughing in the most delighted way at her screaming her way through that chorus. Like not laughing at her but laughing in a "this is hilarious and awesome!" sort of way. Then I heard "Trick Me", "Milkshake" and "Bossy" and that's about it.

I've heard a few more of her tracks recently. I do really like this one from her first album. However in the beginning when she says: "We're going to the roller rink" she does sound, um, kinda subnormal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2021 9:14 AM

I wonder if Lady Gaga copied her too? I see some visual similarities.

by Anonymousreply 65February 14, 2021 10:30 AM

Wow, her husband died after fighting cancer for a few months. He was only 37. Damn he was fine too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 15, 2022 11:36 PM

Terrible news about her husband. 37 is dreadfully young to have stomach cancer.

by Anonymousreply 67March 15, 2022 11:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!