Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell’s corporation, wife allegedly benefited from $120,000 more from donor

A prominent political donor gave $70,000 to a corporation owned by Virginia Gov. Robert F. McDonnell and his sister last year, and the governor did not disclose the money as a gift or loan, according to people with knowledge of the payments.

The donor, wealthy businessman Jonnie R. Williams Sr., also gave a previously unknown $50,000 check to the governor’s wife, Maureen, in 2011, the people said.

by Anonymousreply 3007/28/2013

And everyone here in Virginia thought he was such a boyscout. He also thought he was a shoe in to be Romney's VP pick.

I hope he's indicted. There are calls for his resignation.

by Anonymousreply 107/10/2013

McDonnell is such a right-wing hardass nutcase on many social issues such as a woman's right to choose and gay issues of equality.

However, McDonnell doesn't seem to have a problem with the immorality of financial shenanigans and accpeting gifts to benefit he and his family.

by Anonymousreply 207/10/2013

HUGE scandal here in Ole Virginie.

Star Scientific paid for Bob's daughter's wedding, took the governor's wife to NYC and bought her a $10K Oscar de la Renta suede coat along two pairs of Manolos and bought Bob a $6K rolex. You know Bob's wife had to do some serious dick sucking to get that much of a haul in 2 days.

Then there is the scandal involving the chef. Bob had the chef do extra work for his private parties and paid him off with tax payer funded food.

Ken "The Cooch" Cuccinelli has also received several high dollar "gifts" from Star scientific.

Terry McAuliffe is pretty much a shoe-in for Governor in November which would make the former "reliably red" Virginia standing as having gone for Obama twice, 2 Democratic senators and a Democrat for a Governor. Which is hilarious because all the Repubs around here keep saying Obama is so hated and that the GOP star is back on the rise.

by Anonymousreply 307/10/2013

This is the guy who signed the transvaginal probe law?

by Anonymousreply 407/10/2013

R4. McDonnell proposed it but eventually backed off when there was so much bad press and outrage.

However, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin actually signed into law a vaginal probe requirement.

Oh yeah, they sure do want government out of our lives.

by Anonymousreply 507/10/2013

Please, please, PLEASE don't call it fascism.

Damn.

When will you people wake up and realize that giving the government unlimited power will ALWAYS result in this kind of shit?

by Anonymousreply 607/10/2013

Has he tried to defend himself yet? Taking the money is bad enough, but he also lobbied for the vitamin the guy's company produced to his state health director, extolling its potential health benefits for Virginia. The director correctly saw it as BS. Any chance he'll step down.

by Anonymousreply 707/10/2013

He just had the scandal of his twin sons taking state booze and food to college. Then, over the weekend, one of the twins was arrested for being drunk in public.

by Anonymousreply 807/10/2013

I hope he gets nailed. This is what happens when karma hits you for trying to oust all gay workers at universities here in Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 907/10/2013

R9, that was Cuccinelli.

by Anonymousreply 1007/11/2013

[quote]However, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin actually signed into law a vaginal probe requirement.

I knew I'd just read something recently. This is the headline that I've buried in the back of my mind. I probably conflated it with the Virginia character.

by Anonymousreply 1107/11/2013

R11-

The "leaders" in DC are ALL corrupted by power.

Secession is the only way to stop them.

by Anonymousreply 1207/11/2013

Secession? Oh, my.

by Anonymousreply 1307/11/2013

R13-

Can you see any other way of getting the petty tyrants and busybody fucktards that run DC out of our lives?

by Anonymousreply 1407/11/2013

R6/R12/R14 - this thread is about Virginia. Who's talking about the federal government here other than you? Is Virginia supposed to secede from Virginia? Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 1507/11/2013

He received $130,000 from the guy. That's the latest and that's the part that could be criminal. It wasn't to his wife - so called "loans" paid to the small corporation he had with his sister. He owned two beach rental houses, bought in 2005 - and he was in real financial trouble. So Star Scientific lent that corporation $130,000. None paid back nor does there seem to have been any payment plan. His financial disclosure forms don't reflect the truth of it.

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2013

The family received more. It wasn't just the loans.

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2013

R15-

If we didn't have to worry about how DC was screwing us then we might pay more attention to how our local government screws us.

by Anonymousreply 1807/11/2013

Is he still holding on? Will he gone by the end of the month?

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2013

There are rumors that he's trying to negotiate a resignation in exchange for no criminal charges.

At this point, the General Assembly ought to be considering impeachment, but things are too partisan for it to get very far and he's only got about six months left in his term, and he can't run for re-election.

As I said in another thread, when he finally moves out of the governor's mansion, they need to make sure to count the silver.

by Anonymousreply 2007/12/2013

[quote]There are rumors that he's trying to negotiate a resignation in exchange for no criminal charges.

I bet Bolling is just salivating if this is true.

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2013

I love Rachel Maddow (even more) for ripping Bob McDonnell a new asshole this week. He wouldn't have won if the Dems hadn't nominated a pussy back in 09.

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2013

[quote]I bet Bolling is just salivating if this is true.

It's not really much of a prize for Bolling. Cuccinelli did an end-run around his gentleman's agreement with McDonnell that then AG McDonnell would run for Governor (with his eye on the 2016 Presidential race) and Bolling would run for re-election as Lieutenant Governor and then try for the Governor's Mansion this year.

Although he probably would be laughing if he ends up serving out the rest of McDonnell's term, and the scandal continues to spill over onto Cooch,

Also, if Bolling becomes Governor, the State Senate would be split 20/20, and even though he'd have the power to appoint his replacement, it would still require confirmation by a completely deadlocked Senate with no tie-breaker.

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2013

Creigh Deeds wasn't a pussy, he just didn't have any money, and he was running in an off-year against a highly-motivated GOP electorate who had just seen Virginia vote for a Democratic president for the first time in 44 years, two Democratic United States Senators, and six Democrats in the House out of eleven total seats.

The only other choices were Brian Moran, who is so sleazy, I doubt I would have been able to vote for him had he been the nominee, and Terry McAuliffe--who's only going to win this year because Cooch is A) insane, B) stupid, and C) tainted by this scandal himself--would have done even worse.

Also, McDonnell kept his general craziness under his hat until he was actually in office.

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2013

I just hope it all tarnishes Cuccinelli as well. His election would be actually scary.

by Anonymousreply 2507/13/2013

[quote]then AG McDonnell would run for Governor (with his eye on the 2016 Presidential race)

Dear god, what hubris.

by Anonymousreply 2607/13/2013

[quote]Dear god, what hubris.

It wasn't any kind of great secret.

The Cooch wants to be President too, bless his heart.

by Anonymousreply 2707/13/2013

A corrupt politician!

Oh, my, get me my fainting chair!

ALL politicians, Republicrats, DemoPublican, whatever- they are scum who want to tell "the little people" what they can, cannot, must or MUST NOT do--- and god help them if they step out of line.

Look at the Martin/Zimmerman trial- if Zim had a badge, it would just be another day, another dead minority child, all in a day's work for our "heroic police officers". Just because he didn't have the "thin blue line" to protect him the world goes apeshit.

Cops kill black people everyday. Why aren't we rioting against them?

by Anonymousreply 2807/16/2013

Typical politics.

Both parties are evil.

by Anonymousreply 2907/22/2013

Why can't we execute them?

by Anonymousreply 3007/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!