Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Top of the Lake -- Jane Champion BBC- NZ series available on Showtime. Anyone?

Just finished it and was wondering what other people thought. No spoilers here. It was beautifully shot, Moss was interesting, Hunter her usual charismatic weirdo and the other actors equally good. I just couldn't understand all the holes in the story. Did that one guy really just live in a tent? Why were people wearing parkas while others were swimming in the river and frolicking? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2013

Campion. It's also on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 107/10/2013

It was shown originally on Sundance Channel in late March through April, by which time it was available on iTunes. We had a long thread about it then that I can't find now.

I loved it, though I confess I didn't understand every element of the story.

by Anonymousreply 207/10/2013

^ Such as: if she was visiting her sick mother in her hometown on an extended leave of absence from her job in Australia, where she was presumably a resident, how could she just start working for her hometown police department in New Zealand?

by Anonymousreply 307/10/2013

Why are people always being dropped off miles away from where they live?

by Anonymousreply 407/10/2013

I watched the Sundance run and missed the original thread, unfortunately. I really enjoyed it and thought Elisabeth Moss did a very good job.

by Anonymousreply 507/10/2013

Moss is a great actress. It's a shame she's a scieno.

by Anonymousreply 607/10/2013

And OP, if you liked this, you should check out The Fall with Gillian Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 707/10/2013

Thanks. The Fall looks great.

by Anonymousreply 807/10/2013

If you are actually interested in the opinion of others OP, there is a thread already that you could read.

by Anonymousreply 907/10/2013

DL is boring without repetitive threads, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1007/10/2013

R3 Ur, because she was born in NZ, is therefore a citizen and doesn't need a permit?

Stick to Reba's sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 1107/10/2013

The whole Holly Hunter guru storyline was just ridiculous...and Hunter chewed more scenery than PAC-Man

by Anonymousreply 1207/10/2013

R11, that made me laugh, so I'll let it slide, but that's not what I meant.

I mean, she already has a job; she's just visiting her mother on vacation. It just seemed strange that she'd be called about the case in the first place while she's visiting and that she'd then be hired by the local police department, when she already works for a different police department.

by Anonymousreply 1307/11/2013

I can't remember, but I thought she'd gotten fired by the Sydney PD.

I agree that the Holly Hunter part of the show was like it was in another show entirely. And it was such a small, nothing role. Clearly, Holly felt as if she owed Jane.

by Anonymousreply 1407/11/2013

I agree as well. I appreciated the character, but it was not at all well-integrated.

by Anonymousreply 1507/11/2013

[quote]I can't remember, but I thought she'd gotten fired by the Sydney PD.

I thought the reason she was called to consult on Tui's disappearance (which I found strange, as she was in town on personal business) was that she was (still) a detective with the Sydney PD. I guess what confused me was that later the hometown PD fired her, which meant that she had been hired by them. She then lamented "I'm not a detective anymore"; I didn't understand why she didn't still work for Sydney PD.

Other than my confusion over the premise, I enjoyed the series immensely.

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2013

Champion intended the role for Sookie, and you can really see it.

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.