Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cecil Beaton

The other day I picked up his book "The Face of the World" at a secondhand bookstore and have been surprised & charmed by his sharp skill at describing in prose all the very famous people he photographed. What are your thoughts on Beaton- over/underrated, anecdotes, ambition, etc.? Which of his published diaries is the most rewarding?

by Anonymousreply 2207/10/2013

His designs for the flashbacks in On A Clear Day You Can See Forever are fabulous. He hated them appearing in the same movie as the modern fashions Barbra wore in the 60's-set scenes.

by Anonymousreply 107/10/2013

Read his Diaries.

He was a world-class snob. But he worked with other world-class snobs who were all trying to one-up each other.

His stories about the creation of the Broadway musical CoCo and trying to dress Katharine Hepburn as French couturier Chanel are hilarious and a good lesson in humility.

The same goes for his stories about his power struggle with George Cukor on the design of the film of My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 207/10/2013

His period costume designs for film still look beautiful and fresh today, in spite of the jarring and ugly contemporary hairdos, of which he may not have had much control.

by Anonymousreply 307/10/2013

[quote]The same goes for his stories about his power struggle with George Cukor on the design of the film of My Fair Lady.

kaWEENS, puhLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 407/10/2013

R4 takes one of the fundamental, commonplace facts about gay cultural history tries to turn it into a buoy marking Celestial Eleganzaville.

Ass, if you're ignorant don't stick your tongue out while cocking your ample hip, trying to vogue us into not noticing. Get educated, ass.

by Anonymousreply 507/10/2013

Beaton's snobbery went with the territory, partly fueled by his middle-class background (one assumes) and partly reflecting the fact that he had one of the most fabulous lives imaginable. His photos are among the best of the century, in the context of his focus. He embraced America, though, and really got his start here. His diaries are great.

by Anonymousreply 607/10/2013

He did some fantastic photos of QE2.

by Anonymousreply 707/10/2013

R5, if the mere mention of George Cukor's name doesn't bring out the "Oh, queen" in you, you weren't paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 807/10/2013

He was the William Ivey Long of his day.

by Anonymousreply 907/10/2013

He had great access to royals, he took glamour shots of Princess Paul of Yugoslavia, Princess Marina of Kent, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Princess Alice of Gloucster, Princess Marie-Louise of Schleswig Holstein, many others.

by Anonymousreply 1007/10/2013

The Hugo Vickers biography is, well, fabulous.

As noted, he was a fierce snob in the way reserved for the upwardly mobile middle (lower-middle?) class.

by Anonymousreply 1107/10/2013

He went around telling everyone he had a crazy affair with Garbo and they were lovers. No one believed a word of it and behind his back they all snickered at him and called him a pansy.

by Anonymousreply 1207/10/2013

1938, he wrote a book about New York, where he was always visiting incl. his own photos and drawings.

It's so worth tracking down a copy if you like NY.

by Anonymousreply 1307/10/2013

& here's the cover.

by Anonymousreply 1407/10/2013

& here's a very interesting article about the book.

(If this was a new book I'd be accused of trolling).

by Anonymousreply 1507/10/2013

Wasn't he, along with Noel Coward, a pet gay of the Queen Mother?

by Anonymousreply 1607/10/2013

Judging by the illustration on his book cover at r14, his anatomy was, at best, iffy.

by Anonymousreply 1707/10/2013

I always fancied his house on Pelham Place in London. It looked like the set from Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 1807/10/2013

Cecil Beaton went to art school as an adult. His art teacher told him that he might be able to amuse his friends by sketching portraits, but he would never be an artist.

by Anonymousreply 1907/10/2013

Well, his teacher was right. His strength was not in his drawing and painting abilities (have you ever seen his costume sketches?) and he never could have made a living as a fine artist.

His great strength was in his sense of design.

by Anonymousreply 2007/10/2013

[quote]His great strength was in his sense of design.

His strength was in being the ultimate sycophant.

by Anonymousreply 2107/10/2013

Well, for a whore, he made me look fabulous and did well keeping us, my simple-minded lapdog husband and I, as favourites in the eyes of the masses.

by Anonymousreply 2207/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.