Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Northampton, AKA Lesbianville, USA

Home of Smith College, Sonic Youth, The Bell Jar, and Rachel Maddow. I think I want to live there. What is it like?

by Anonymousreply 2607/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 107/10/2013

There are many boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 207/10/2013

Michfest 24/7/365.

by Anonymousreply 307/10/2013

Once a month, it's hell!

by Anonymousreply 407/10/2013

R4, it's actually wonderful. Don't go looking for a huge lesbian parade; everybody is integrated.

I grew up near there, went to college near there, spent a lot of weekends in town. Close to nature and the cities. Best of both worlds.

by Anonymousreply 507/10/2013

This went nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 607/10/2013

It's hairier than Bear Week in Provincetown.

by Anonymousreply 707/10/2013

[quote]What is it like?

by Anonymousreply 807/10/2013

It's a lovely little New England town.

Please leave Rachel alone.

by Anonymousreply 907/10/2013

OP here. I was looking for a small town gay community with a college. I don't know of many others that sound as appealing.

by Anonymousreply 1007/10/2013

It's a wonderful New England town. Big arts and music scene. Lots of history, dating back to the 1600s.

by Anonymousreply 1107/10/2013

Should also mention that Augusten Burrows grew up there.

by Anonymousreply 1207/10/2013

R11 is right. It really is a lovely place. I've thought about retiring there except I can't deal with New England winters.

by Anonymousreply 1307/10/2013

um...if you want to live in the middle of nowhere and be away from any big city, go here. The closet thing you'll have is Amherst and those college kiddies. It would take probably close to an hour to go to Boston.

by Anonymousreply 1407/11/2013

It's fucking BORING.

If you love c-c-cold weather, snotty people, and gray skies, definitely go there.

by Anonymousreply 1507/11/2013

Nice town with a surprisingly large homeless population that regularly occupy space on the downtown sidewalks.

It's also got a big drug problem. At one time it was heroin, not sure what the drug of choice is these days.

These kind of "problems" exist along side a vibrant downtown area.

It's not just lesbians who live there, it has a large gay male population. The men are not as visible - they've married, purchased homes, settled down over the years.

Also, within city politics, there's a big gap between the locals (they refer to the town as Hamp) and the more recent and more progressive arrivlas who refer to the town as Noho.

It's not the Paradise City that many see when visiting...

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2013

Yes, when I visited I thought it was quite cute, then I noticed the homeless and druggies (they seem to come out around 6pm).

I will still assume the problems are much smaller than some places...say Springfield?

Has anyone been in the Emily Dickinson house, or the one beside it will the old crumbling wallpaper and walls?

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2013

"everybody is integrated"

What does that mean? Translate this Mitchspeak.

by Anonymousreply 1807/11/2013

It's one of the best towns in New England. I've spent a lot of time there over the years.

by Anonymousreply 1907/11/2013

I always have fantasies about places I visit,and here I thought - who would I talk to? It is just students.

by Anonymousreply 2007/11/2013

"Everybody is integrated" means you don't have many lesbian only spaces or see roving gangs of dykes all over.

I prefer Amherst but I think that's because I went to college there (UMASS) and it's much the way Alice sees Monterey in "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore."

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2013

[quote] OP here. I was looking for a small town gay community with a college. I don't know of many others that sound as appealing.

May I suggest Oberlin, Ohio? I live near there, and Oberlin is like it's own little universe in Northern Ohhoho. Oberlin is about a 30 minute drive from Cleveland, so you have access to culture, sports, nightlife, etc. VERY LGBT friendly, as is Lakewood--a Cleveland suburb.

Oberlin College has always been on the cutting edge, in being one the first colleges to admit blacks and women.

Oberlin isn't too far from Lake Erie if you enjoy fishing, boating, etc and there are a couple of small gay beaches ( The Rocks is one)

Cost of living is relatively cheap in this part of the country. I live in a 2 story Colonial one block from the lake--I paid $96,000.00 for it.

by Anonymousreply 2207/11/2013

Emily Dickinson house? Isn't that in Amherst? She was the Belle of Amherst.

by Anonymousreply 2307/11/2013

R23, you are correct.

The get to Emily's abode you have to leave Northampton and travel about 20 minutes east on rte 9 to Amherst.

The home is about as exciting as Emily... z z z z

by Anonymousreply 2407/11/2013

Oberlin does sound nice. Are there any other good options within Massachusetts?

by Anonymousreply 2507/12/2013

Hey, no one on this thread said, or thought the Emily Dickinson was in Northampton. Both Northampton and Amherst were mentioned on this thread, and they are close to each other - most people would go to both, that is why I asked.

Emily's house is normal, but the one next to it with the peeling wallpaper and the death room is spooky.

by Anonymousreply 2607/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!