Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Washington, DC residents -- would you live in Petworth?

I know there are a few DC denizens here. I'm considering renting a place in this neighborhood after several people recommended it to me, plus a website called Prince of Petworth led me to discover more. went in person today. The place looked nice but the neighborhood had a creepy, somewhat seedy vibe. I'm torn - anyone know/live there? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 8205/23/2015

You rent? Get a job dear.

by Anonymousreply 107/09/2013

No, OP, I would not live in Petworth.

And yes, it has a seedy vibe.

Out of all the neighborhoods, why choose Petworth when there are other better choices.

by Anonymousreply 207/09/2013

Why would I want to leave Georgetown?

by Anonymousreply 307/09/2013

It's pretty far uptown. Will you have a car? (A lot of people in DC don't.)

I lived in DC during the '80s and '90s, and Petworth wasn't one of the neighborhoods we gays inhabited. In all my years in DC, I only knew one person who lived that far up.

But everything changed in the '00s. It might be a very nice place to live now.

by Anonymousreply 407/09/2013

Jesus, R4, why even weigh in when you know absolutely nothing?

Uptown? No one says 'uptown' in DC. An 'uptown' doesn't even exist in DC. Do you mean 'north'?

And why would you say maybe Petworth is a 'very nice place to live now' when you have no idea in hell.

by Anonymousreply 507/09/2013

[quote]Uptown? No one says 'uptown' in DC. An 'uptown' doesn't even exist in DC.

You've never heard of the Uptown Theater?

by Anonymousreply 607/09/2013

I used to go to movies when I lived in DC. Most times at a theatre called the Uptown, which, relative to the 09 and 36 zipcodes was -- guess where -- UPTOWN.

And guess what else, shitnostrils R5, it's a bit to the west and a little bit south of Petworth. So I'm guessing Petworth is actually -- that's right -- UPTOWN.

Now go freshen your drink, or call your sponsor, skidmark. Your anger over absolutely nothing is frightening. You should be ashamed of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 707/09/2013

Petworth is getting progressively better, but I still wouldn't live there. I don't know...you can get some good deals though (which would make it more logical to buy rather than rent).

by Anonymousreply 807/09/2013

R5 is kind of a douchebag, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's fundamentally right: I've never heard anybody refer to an "uptown" in DC. Hell, it's rare that you hear people talk about going "downtown."

by Anonymousreply 907/09/2013

'uptown' does not exist in DC.

And mouthy R7, you saying maybe Petworth is a very nice place to live now shows that you mouth off on topics you know absolutely nothing about.

And who gives a damn,R4, R7, whether gays lived in Petworth in the 1980's and 1990's. You open your mouth when you have nothing to say.

by Anonymousreply 1107/09/2013

When I lived in Dupont Circle, "downtown" was the area around the department stores, and we definitely called it "downtown." We referred to the K Street area as "the new downtown."

by Anonymousreply 1207/09/2013

R9, I am not a 'douchebag' at all and an area called 'uptown' does not exist in Washington DC.

R4,R7 is trying to apply New York City areas to DC.

by Anonymousreply 1307/09/2013

It's not an area with a name, moron. It's a direction. Uptown, i.e., north of Dupont Circle (or most areas someone gay would typically look to live in DC).

Downtown, as I described in another post, is the opposite direction. Though it actually is a named neighborhood.

So, yes, you are a douchebag. Did you get another drink or call your sponsor?

by Anonymousreply 1407/09/2013

Every freakin' city and town has a downtown. It's the main business district.

R4, R7 is trying to apply NYC terminology in a ridiculous way to Washington DC.

You sound rather stupid too, R12, not to know that every city and town has a main business district called downtown.

by Anonymousreply 1507/09/2013

I lived in Crestwood, not many blocks west of Petworth but, to my mind, a much pleasanter, more prosperous looking established neighborhood (though entirely residential and removed from everything.)

Petworth seems a little low and spread out, and core-less, an interstitial space rather than a place itself. And, yes, a bit seedy -- remnants of hard times and sad stories and hints of George Wilson's garage in The Great Gatsby, or the diner in The Postman Always Rings Twice (from the 1946 film.)

by Anonymousreply 1607/09/2013

You're too stupid to talk to any further, R15. I wish you hell.

by Anonymousreply 1707/09/2013

You should do it OP. Look at the changing demographics and the housing prices (see link). Get in now and in a few years, you will be sitting pretty in 'the hot' DC neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 1807/09/2013

looks of gay bars there

by Anonymousreply 1907/09/2013

R18, the OP is renting not buying.

by Anonymousreply 2007/09/2013

Martians, Rose. Martians.

by Anonymousreply 2307/10/2013

Can someone actually weigh on on Petworth itself, not whether DC is has an "uptown"?? FWIW, I left DC in 2008 and at the time I wouldn't live in Petworth if you paid me. A friend now rents there. It is getting better, verrrrrrry slowly. I visited last month and still thought it was dangerous (random people screaming at one another in the street, a somewhat desolate vibe after dark). There are new bars/restaurants coming in though. In general, I'd look elsewhere, but if you want to buy, it might be a good place to build equity over time.

by Anonymousreply 2507/10/2013

The fundamental problem is that you people rent.

by Anonymousreply 2607/10/2013

r26, most savvy people rent in this market.

by Anonymousreply 2707/10/2013

[quote]"downtown" was the area around the department stores, and we definitely called it "downtown."

That's correct, R12.

by Anonymousreply 2807/10/2013

There are no department stores plural in DC's downtown.

There is Macy's and that's the only department store.

Yes, R25, since you're so free in giving advice, why don't you buy a house or unit in Petworth and trying living there among the crime, desolate streets, ugly human behavior, and low lifes so that YOU can build equity.

by Anonymousreply 2907/10/2013

And of course, DC has no history. It is not possible that at one time there were three or four (or more) department stores downtown, simply because there is only one left. DC only existed as it exists today.

How do you manage, douchebag, having so much anger over things that, logically speaking, aren't anger-inducing in 99% of humankind.

I guess it's because you're so hung over. Too embarrassed to call your sponsor?

by Anonymousreply 3007/10/2013

I'm not angry at all, vacuous constant open-mouth with nothing of worth to say R30.

You characterizing me as angry shows that your sense of reality is very skewed.

You're still hurting and embarrassed over your silly asinine 'uptown' statement about DC and you knowing absolutely nothing about Petworth but still saying it might be a nice place to live.

Now we're talking about the current DC downtown, not the historial one of 25 to 40 years ago.

You were just WAITING to call me angry again.

Why not weigh in on threads when you have something pertinent to say.

by Anonymousreply 3107/10/2013

Fucking hell, R2 R5 R11 R13 R15 R20 is a vicious little cunt.

If every least little thing (on a thread about an obscure D.C. neighborhood) sets him off like some yappy little lap dog, imagine what a fucking pleasure he is as a neighbor or coworker or most casual of acquaintances.

by Anonymousreply 3207/10/2013

Petworth is not an obscure DC neighborhood.

Anyone who lives in DC is aware of Petworth.

by Anonymousreply 3307/10/2013

[quote] Petworth is not an obscure DC neighborhood.

And yet he doesn't argue that he's not a vicious little cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3407/10/2013

Noted: R31 R33 (ad nauseam), who is "not angry at all," did not deny being a "vicious little cunt."

You actually think it would [italic]embarrass[/italic] someone to describe the direction Petworth is from the gayer areas of town as uptown from them?

You're as stupid as you are mean.

Call your sponsor, if only to let him know how you [italic]really[/italic] told someone off on the internet today.

by Anonymousreply 3507/10/2013

There's a fuck buddy of mine who lives in Petworth and that's pretty much the ONLY reason I ever go there (he has a really amazing cock). People keep trying to make that neighborhood happen and it's just...not. Dollar stores, hair braiding places and fried chicken take-out is about all it currently has to offer. "Seedy" is almost too kind.

Can you afford the U Street neighborhood? Much more hip, fun and cool. And a lot safer, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 3607/10/2013

The area that once housed Lansburgh's, Woodward & Lothrop, Hecht Company, and Garfinckel's department stores has always been considered the "downtown" area of DC. No matter where you lived or worked in the city, that area was and is Downtown DC.

by Anonymousreply 3707/10/2013

Agreed, R37.

To clarify, I didn't call Petworth "uptown." I used "uptown" as a direction:

[quote]It's pretty far uptown.

That's all I said, and VLC for some reason has turned it into a federal case.

by Anonymousreply 3807/10/2013

R37, no one is disputing that that area is called the downtown of DC.

by Anonymousreply 3907/10/2013

Look at this. It's a message on Google Groups about a Book Club that meets at 14th and Whittier NW, and the writer describes as being "pretty far" -- wait for it! -- "UPTOWN."

by Anonymousreply 4007/10/2013

What IS IT with DL posters and their obsession with the exact boundaries of neighborhoods? The NYC threads are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 4107/10/2013

New Yorkers are the worst when it comes to neighborhood boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 4207/10/2013

Father was killed near uptown, and they brought him back to me all broken and torn. Well, it was uppertowner than the house. As if any of us were locals. The locals were all savages, savages! And fair lot of yellers and rapscallions. Taddy, put that andiron down! I hate the soot, like the soot of Daddy's wife meddling with Maisie - we always had her hotcakes fine as she brought them, but SHE in her uptown ways had to make a mark in everything. And the stovepipe crashed down and such a mess. I would have laughed but for the crying. Mr. Douglas had called later and I told him no, no, no, no, I would not ride because I had a headache. He wanted to take us uptown to the Lexington Square but that was so long ago. We are now here, back in Springfield, the start of my nightmares and finish of my dreams. Elizabeth is too, too kind. Kind to my DISTRACTION! And Father lies out there, uptown, in Oak Ridge, with Eddie and Willy, where I shall nestle among my boys. But not THAT ONE. Robert is no son to me, locking me in that uptown Chicago hovel, with the LUNATICS! But we were speaking of that other uptown, yes, the drear uptown where Father was sacrificed. No, I would not reside there again, not for a petworth of Sundays. Taddy! NO! But Taddy died. You are not Taddy. He died, in that uptown Chicago hotel I called my widow's hole. O Jesus. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 4307/10/2013

Right R27, prices are low, interest rates are incredibly low. Anyone with an ounce of sense is buying a primary and a couple of investment properties. I suppose I shouldn't say anything, we do need renters for the investment properties to generate revenue.

by Anonymousreply 4407/10/2013

I lived and worked in DC for 3 years and rented the whole time. Why? I was only there for the professional experience and got the hell out as soon as I accomplished that. I had no desire to set down roots in that shithole.

by Anonymousreply 4507/10/2013

Fuck you, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4607/10/2013

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SAY IF PETWORTH IS COOL OR NOT?

by Anonymousreply 4707/10/2013

I did at R36. The answer was no.

by Anonymousreply 4807/10/2013

Petworth = Ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 4907/10/2013

R47, R25 also gave you the answer.

by Anonymousreply 5007/10/2013

A lot of DC is a hellhole, and I could have written the exact same post as R45.

While there are some beautiful areas of DC proper, there are too many parts of the city which ruin the overall city in terms of quality of life.

by Anonymousreply 5107/10/2013

What r51 said. DC has some lovely streets, but the problem is that the nasty areas are literally right next to them. Like two blacks away. It's not safe even on the 'nice' streets. At least in NY you know where the bad neighborhoods are and you can avoid them. In DC they're literally next door. It's fucking nuts.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the self-hating closeted gays and the Republican gays. Freaks, all of them. As soon as I got my 3 years' worth of work experience to go on my resume, it was "buh-bye!"

by Anonymousreply 5207/10/2013

[quote]Every freakin' city and town has a downtown. It's the main business district.

No, it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 5307/10/2013

I am so fucking tired of people who put down renters. All you who bought during the boom are now underwater with your homes. Buying a home was a good option for our parents. Buying a home is still a good option for couples and families.

I don't need the hassles and headaches associated with homeownership. And quite frankly, I need to buy a house for investments.

by Anonymousreply 5407/10/2013

Every city except NYC.

NYC does not set the standard for everything.

by Anonymousreply 5507/10/2013

Just out of curiosity, where did you live during your 3-year stint, R52?

by Anonymousreply 5607/10/2013

R55 was in answer to R53.

by Anonymousreply 5707/10/2013

[quote]Like two blacks away.

Freudian slip? That pretty much says it all, R45, R52.

I've lived just north of Petworth and Brightwood for 24 years. It is not U Street and it is not Logan, Dupont, or 17th Street. If you want hip and cool and lots of gays, look elsewhere. But, be prepared to pay higher rent for it in those areas.

by Anonymousreply 5807/10/2013

r56, my first year was in Logan Circle and the next two years was in Dupont Circle, near the West End. And I don't miss DC at all!

by Anonymousreply 5907/10/2013

Black people live everywhere in DC, R58.

And DC has a predominantly black culture.

Almost all service workers in DC are black and all minimum wage workers are black with a few Hispanics thrown in.

Some really crime-ridden neighborhoods characterized by poverty are all black.

by Anonymousreply 6007/10/2013

They are doing their best to gentrify the area, however, it has a long ways to go. Plus, Georgia Ave is pain the ass. Also, there really isn't a lot there.

by Anonymousreply 6107/10/2013

[quote]Fucking hell, [R2] [R5] [R11] [R13] [R15] [R20] is a vicious little cunt.

And that's why most of the modern gays live outside the DC gay ghetto. Petworth is perfectly fine. Love some of my neighbors; others, not so much. Same as when I lived on Capitol Hill.

by Anonymousreply 6207/10/2013

Blacks don't live "everywhere", at least not in numbers, but they do live in many parts of the city, and many of these places are considered "nice areas."

Thousands of people manage to live comfortably in the city and to avoid the poorest, crime-ridden areas. It's not that hard if you're not ridiculously paranoid or ridiculously stupid. Yes, there is some risk involved and your number could get called, but middle-class people live in DC for a reason.

Please stay away if you have some racist, outmoded concept of "black culture" and want to spread unjustified hate in fear in the area. We don't need it or you.

by Anonymousreply 6307/10/2013

There are a lot of sort of empty, barren DC neighborhoods with pockets of beautiful blocks tucked away. Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, and Georgetown are pricy for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 6407/10/2013

I'd do Anacostia before Petworth.

by Anonymousreply 6507/10/2013

I wouldn't live in Petworth, unless you are willing to live in an up and coming neighborhood that might never actually get there...and are willing to do home improvements.

You're probably better off around the U Street area. There's about to be a surge of construction just north of U, east of Georgia Avenue, with a lot of high end apartments and some retail right around Town.

by Anonymousreply 6607/10/2013

Cleveland Park? Why not just send yourself into a coma? Same experience.

by Anonymousreply 6707/10/2013

When was this, R59? Logan Circle was not the same neighborhood around 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6807/10/2013

One man's heaven is another man's hell.

I live in the Clarendon neighborhood of Arlington, which is generally considered nice...but I loathe it. If I lived in DC I'd want to live in Adams Morgan; however, I don't have a single friend in the District who isn't itching to escape.

by Anonymousreply 6907/10/2013

It was almost 10 years ago, r68. And I've been back to DC many times since to visit friends. I have no regrets about leaving.

by Anonymousreply 7007/10/2013

Thanks, R59. I've lived in DC about 10 years and am starting to tire of it.

by Anonymousreply 7107/10/2013

I lived in Del Ray for years and loved it. I miss it now.

by Anonymousreply 7207/10/2013

I have lived in DC for 4.5 years now and have lived in several different neighborhoods on purpose so I could get a sense of the whole city. Also to help me determine where I want to buy when I'm ready because I rent too. :)

I would not have considered Petworth a year ago, but the gays are definitely moving in now and it is one of the neighborhoods on our list for buying (next year). It isn't fancy and there isn't a lot there, but Columbia Heights is close ad has tons of shopping and restaurants. The U Street corridor is right down from that with plenty of bars.

The one nice thing about DC is that there are gays in every neighborhood here.

Hope that helps!

by Anonymousreply 7307/10/2013

If Columbia Heights can become a neighborhood again, so can anywhere else. It used to be nothing but an open-air drug and murder mart.

by Anonymousreply 7407/10/2013

The only "uptown" in D.C. is the upstairs portion of the gay club, Town where the Bear Happy Hour occurs every Friday (and calling it "uptown" has never really taken).

by Anonymousreply 7507/11/2013

My friends recently bought in Petworth. The gays are definitely there and have already started turning things around. Do it OP!

by Anonymousreply 7607/11/2013

Petworth neighborhood has been said to "be turning around" for at least 20 or 25 years.

The turn-around is not happening.

Plus you cannot read R66 and R76 - the OP specifically wrote how he is looking to rent NOT buy.

And even if Petworth did have a tiny turnaround, it is still a desolate, crime-ridden neighborhood full of sketchy people with a feeling of lack of safety and too much caution must be taken.

by Anonymousreply 7707/11/2013

Georgia Avenue is a bleak and depressing stretch.

by Anonymousreply 7807/11/2013

The colored children are loud and wear brightly colored clothing on public transit. I find it distressing.

by Anonymousreply 7901/11/2015

My dad lived in the Old Soldiers' Home, so he liked it.

by Anonymousreply 8001/11/2015

Not surprisingly, the value of homes in Petworth and surrounding neighborhoods continues to rise. In the last two years, a lot more gays live there as well.

by Anonymousreply 8101/11/2015

Bump

by Anonymousreply 8205/23/2015
Need more help? Click Here.