Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Now, Voyager

is on TCM again. I can't resist watching though I've seen it over 20 times.

by Anonymousreply 3807/12/2013

Jerry, why let's ask for the moon? We have the moon?

by Anonymousreply 107/09/2013

And the stars, r1. But nice try.

by Anonymousreply 207/09/2013

Truly one of Ms. Davis' masterpiece performances. If I'm not mistaken, her and 3-time co-star Claude Rains were close friends in real life.

by Anonymousreply 307/09/2013

Damn, I repeated moon. Damn it. Still, it's one of my favorite movie lines ever.

by Anonymousreply 407/09/2013

Can we skip the part after Momma dies and she hooks up with the drippy kid?

by Anonymousreply 507/09/2013

Wear the black and white foulard.

by Anonymousreply 607/09/2013

I love this movie; it holds up beautifully. I wonder how many people started smoking because of it back in the day.

Gladys Cooper, who played Bette's ice-cold bitch of a mother, was actually a very nice woman in real life and she and Bette got along well and stayed in touch for many years afterward.

by Anonymousreply 707/09/2013

In the Dick Cavett interview with Bette Davis from the early 70's, he interviews her the day after Gladys Cooper died. She remembers both Cooper and "her" Claude Rains with great fondness. (Claude Rains is in the Top Five of "shoulda won Oscars" performers.)

by Anonymousreply 807/09/2013

Kate Mulgrew is vastly underrated.

by Anonymousreply 907/09/2013

I'm not afraid, I'm not afraid! I am not afraid!

by Anonymousreply 1007/09/2013

The mother was a cunt in that film. If she was nice in real life, she must have used Bette as a model.

by Anonymousreply 1107/09/2013

Here's Bette Davis talking to Dick Cavett in the early 70s about Now Voyager, Gladys Cooper and Claude Rains. Offhand, I can't think of a single contemporary star who is this articulate and well-spoken.

by Anonymousreply 1207/09/2013

r1 sounds like a quote from a remake starring Charo.

by Anonymousreply 1307/09/2013

Nice clip R12. Bette is utterly charming.

They got me curious about Gladys George (the mother in NV) being a great beauty in her youth. You could tell she must have been a looker, she was a good looking older woman.

Anyway, I googled and even in the those days, it was all about the hair.

by Anonymousreply 1407/10/2013

That is some gorgeous hair!

by Anonymousreply 1507/10/2013

James Woods on Davis in Now, Voyager.

He's absolutely correct in everything he says.

by Anonymousreply 1607/10/2013

[quote]Damn, I repeated moon. Damn it. Still, it's one of my favorite movie lines ever.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a dear.

by Anonymousreply 1707/10/2013

Dora, I suspect you're a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 1807/10/2013

An architect! I could cry with pride.

by Anonymousreply 1907/10/2013

[quote]Kate Mulgrew is vastly underrated.

LOL, r9.

by Anonymousreply 2007/11/2013

Just a personal idiosyncrasy, we're all entitled to one.

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2013

That's such a good scene, R21. As her fiance is grilling her about the camellias, she doesn't break her stride while getting ready to walk out the door for the evening.

"Ahhhn'tchu full of QUEST-ions."

"And aren't YOU full of mystery."

And she throws on her coat and replies over her shoulder... "I?"

End of discussion.

Fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 2207/11/2013

I love the scene where she breaks up with the intended beau: "lets not dwell on it".

by Anonymousreply 2307/11/2013

Now, Voyager is my favorite Bette Davis movie; among many great Davis movies and performances this is my personal favorite. The transformation she undergoes in this film is nothing short of miraculous.

And I cannot believe how gorgeous Gladys Cooper is in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 2407/11/2013

John Loder, who plays Bette's fiancé Elliot Livingston, was once married to Hedy Lamarr.

by Anonymousreply 2507/11/2013

In interviews later in her life, Bette would often cite "Dark Victory" as her best/favorite performance on film.

I don't agree . . . "Now, Voyager" was far better . . . and her excellent performance in "The Old Maid" is not mentioned nearly enough.

by Anonymousreply 2607/11/2013

R23: R23: actually, it's "let's not linger over it"

The bitchy niece was played by Bonita Granville, who would later become one Lassies' owners (and co-producer of the show).

by Anonymousreply 2707/11/2013

r26, my favorite Bette film was always The Letter

by Anonymousreply 2807/11/2013

Bette (rightly) regarded Claude as a great actor. She also had the serious hots for him, which he was smart enough to use to his advantage by keeping their relationship platonic. As a result, there's a very interesting dynamic between them in the various films they made together. He kept her up to the mark professionally as well as adding a certain sizzle to their scenes together. Bette always said that she thought Charlotte ended up with Dr. Jaquith, and to me it seems that Claude played their final scene together as though he'd fallen in love with her.

by Anonymousreply 2907/11/2013

This is often criticized as a formulaic 1940s "woman's picture". But it's immensely entertaining and satisfying in a way few soapy romances of its era, or any other, are.

by Anonymousreply 3007/11/2013

AUNT CHARLOTTE'S GOT THE SHAKES!

GO ON TORTURE ME. YOU LIKE MAKING FUN OF ME

Bonita Granville makes the niece a perfectly charming cunt.

'Gloomy William'

Davis was brilliant. Period.

Gladys Cooper was a treasure.

And I would have totally fucked Henried and Rains.

by Anonymousreply 3107/11/2013

My favorite scene was when Charlotte walks out of the ship for the very first time with her new look. Very reminiscent to Titanic when Rose walks out of the car.

Just a gorgeous entrance to Charlotte's make-over!

by Anonymousreply 3207/11/2013

I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid, mother. I'm not afraid.

by Anonymousreply 3307/11/2013

That girl who plays Henreid's daughter is very convincing at playing disturbed. I feel like she may murder Charlotte in her sleep one night after "the voices" tell her to.

by Anonymousreply 3507/11/2013

Frankly, I always assumed Claude Rains was gay, but according to his Wikipedia page, he was married six times . . . although three of the marriages only lasted about a year.

by Anonymousreply 3607/11/2013

My infant

by Anonymousreply 3707/11/2013

Of course the kid is disturbed, R3. She's got two self-absorbed parents, one of whom openly doesn't care and the other pretends to care while he makes sure, at the same time, that he gets the pussy as well by using the "sob story" of "my wife doesn't understand me!"

by Anonymousreply 3807/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.