Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Those Extreme Weight Loss Shows - Obnoxious, fake, misleading..

How much longer until one of theme kill some morbidly obese person?

We don't watch them regularly at my house but I've seen both the Biggest Loser and the Extreme Weight Loss show with that sexy little muscle dude. The last couple of weeks my BF and I have seen parts of it before getting bored and changing the channels and it just amazes me how obnoxious they are and the amount of fakeness they're selling.

The formula for one show is taking a morbidly obese person or couple, bringing them to California to run on the beach and then sending them home where they are given a gift card to pay for ALL of their groceries and weightloss needs for the next year. They also have a spare bedroom, garage or basement COMPLETELY transformed into a mega gym, complete with state of the art equipment including free weights, machines and flat panel televisions lining the walls.

On each show, the fat people lose gigantic amounts of weight in the first 30-90 days, inspiring until you realize you're left wondering HOW the fuck they do it. These people have kids, jobs, etc., but you're never shown how they overcome these challenges to lose the weight and stay focused. You're left to believe all they're doing is working out an the weight is just falling off.

My boyfriend and I wonder how many people out there, really deserving of help with weight loss, are either demoralized by watching this shit or left with unreal expectations.

Our neighbor told us one evening that he would love to go on one of those shows. He's 300lbs, tries on and off to get his weight down and is on a 5'8" frame. He's fat, but doesn't look like these people. When I asked him why he didn't let us try to get him on one of those shows, his reply was that he doesn't fit the 'freak' look, which is true. These shows look for absolutely obese freaks, not the average obese person, (if such a thing exists).

Have any of these shows ever been sued?

by Anonymousreply 1011/24/2013

As I recall Jillian Michaels was sued over her diet or diet pills she was hawking.

by Anonymousreply 107/09/2013

Yeah, someone like your neighbor ideally needs someone to watch over him and encourage him throughout the way on both diet and exercise.

by Anonymousreply 207/09/2013

Most of these people regain some if not all of the weight.

Keeping up that level of exercise and motivation in the midst of their lives instead of the show setting is near impossible. Most people regain weight lost by any method. The combination of life style, food addiction, and genetics is not easy to beat.

I have been very trim for decades at a time, but the real weight struggle began from the late forties on. Age and genetics.

by Anonymousreply 307/09/2013

I was privileged to be paid to take part in a weight loss training video by the man that trained Jillian Michaels. He turned down offers to be on TV. Starting at 6:30 am, we did 3 hours a day, for 3 days, of constant exercises. We used minimal equipment. He was a fab personal trainer, with non-stop energy.

He admitted that Jillian prescribes some sort of uppers to jump-start weight loss, as well as pain meds to combat the inevitable extreme sore muscles. He said that he always felt like a babysitter to the stars, trying to get them to go to a yoga class after training sessions, instead of to a bar.

Like any other reality show, producers look at hundreds of applicants before choosing the very lucky few. Usually personality wins out, so that "Middle America" can identify with the "actors."

by Anonymousreply 407/09/2013

Just watched extreme weight loss. late in the show after Chantal has lost over 150 pounds she goes to the doctor to see about surgery to remove all the hanging skin form her belly and boobs. She just whips off her top right to reveal her ample bosom in front of the Doctor and Chris Powell the host. He had no time to get out of the way.

Most women don't reveal their saggy breasts to the avg. straight guy host. So I'm wondering, is Chris Powell gay?

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

There is a lot to say about obesity. If you don't want saggy skin the only way to achieve that is to lose weight slowly through calorie reduction and exercise. The body likes regularity. Since fat people eat more their bodies want a lot of food. When fat people eat less their body responds and they will feel hungry, angry, sad, or irritated. You have to ignore those feelings by occupying your time.

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

Once your skin has stretched so much, the only way to get rid of excess skin is surgery. Slow dieting only works if you are relatively young and do not have enormous amounts to lose. Elasticity only goes so far.

Most surgeons won't touch you until your weight has stabilised for a year or so.

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

Geez the main article is awful. Shits not easy and if your not completely shit they have different things going on in their life. Why would they show everything??? No1,can help you with EVERY aspect of your life. Chris Powell helps people who have no idea where to start and is someone that keeps the people accountable. Fitness is a life style and life long commitment. Jesus this is awful

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2013

totally fake show

by Anonymousreply 1011/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!