Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Baby Formula, Razors, and Cigarettes locked behind glass cases

I was visiting friends for dinner. Anyway I stopped at a grocery store in their neighborhood (a very nice neighborhood) and noticed that the cigarettes, baby formula and razors are in locked glass cases in the front of the store.

Now, I understand that it is probably to prevent theft, since razors and cigarettes are pretty damned expensive. But, baby formula? From what I can tell the cans are pretty big. How does one steal a big can of formula? And isn't it cheaper to just breast feed?

by Anonymousreply 5601/21/2014

Numerous reasons why formula is used - like the baby rejecting mother's milk.

It's pretty expensive and lots of low income people have lots of babies, so it's one of those things that is more likely to get stolen. Even if it's hard to hide, they'll still try to steal it.

by Anonymousreply 107/09/2013

Diapers also are often locked up, along with deodorant/antiperspirant and Tide detergent (but no other brands).

by Anonymousreply 207/09/2013

Many items are now locked away, especially in drug stores such as CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc. because these items are now popular currency in drug transactions. Drug addict steals some Tide with a retail value of $20. Trades it for $10 worth of drugs. Drug dealers sell it to a guy who has a stand at a flea market for $12. Guy sells it at the flea market for $15. You and I wonder how it is that the fellow at the flea market can sell $20 Tide for $15.

by Anonymousreply 307/09/2013

R3, are you saying there's an underground economy in which laundry detergent is accepted as a form of currency? Because that sounds a little crazy.

by Anonymousreply 407/09/2013

I think this says something about life in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 607/09/2013

r4 - that's exactly right, but not all laundry detergent -- just Tide is used as currency. No kidding.

by Anonymousreply 707/09/2013

It is a meth precursor.

by Anonymousreply 807/09/2013

What is? Tide??

by Anonymousreply 907/09/2013

R4 - yes. Tide is especially popular. Just Google "Tide as currency" or check out the link.

by Anonymousreply 1007/09/2013

The one I hate is the razor blades locked away in a cabinet that is in the aisle. You have to track down an employee and then they act like it's a complete chore and you're wasting their precious time to have them unlock the cabinet for you.

by Anonymousreply 1107/09/2013

Sounds like a shitty neighborhood. Glad I live in the burbs where I've seen people leaving their car windows OPEN on a hot day.

by Anonymousreply 1207/09/2013

Honey, I been here forever, and I ain't leaving for you.

by Anonymousreply 1407/09/2013

The baby formula is a precursor, which blows my mind.

by Anonymousreply 1507/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 1607/09/2013

Like I said this is a very nice neighborhood, great schools, all that jazz. Not that rich people don't steal, but it was surprising to see this stuff in glass cases.

Also, I didn't know that some babies will reject their mother's milk. Thanks for the information, not that I will ever need it, but it is nice to know. -OP

by Anonymousreply 1707/09/2013

[quote] Sounds like a shitty neighborhood. Glad I live in the burbs where I've seen people leaving their car windows OPEN on a hot day.

I live in the 'burbs too. Where they still lock up the formula, razors, condoms, Nicorette and the like, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1807/09/2013

I read somewhere that when stolen credit cards are used at a supermarket, the most commonly purchased items are beer, razor blades, disposable diapers and formula. Makes sense in a fucked up way.

by Anonymousreply 1907/09/2013

[quote]I read somewhere that when stolen credit cards are used at a supermarket, the most commonly purchased items are beer, razor blades, disposable diapers and formula. Makes sense in a fucked up way.

Makes sense to me. If I had a baby, I'd need to anesthetize myself before slitting my wrists.

by Anonymousreply 2007/09/2013

There are factors which impact theft rates that have little to do with how much money your customers have. 1) How much the item costs and how frequently the thief purchases the item. 2) How easy would the theft be.

Tactics stores use to prevent shoplifting are based upon the expense of the tactic and lose of sales. Razors, baby formula and cigarettes need to display cases. A locked display case is actually not that much more expensive considering how long it will probably be used.

With baby formula, razors and cigarettes the likely hood of the customer finding getting a clerk to assist them enough to make them walk away is low. All three are things you will have to purchase somewhere. Easier to get a clerk than drive to another store.

On the other hand - put candy under lock and key will discourage almost all impulse purchase. The theft you wold prevent would cost you less than the lost sales.

Finally - grocery store displays and fixtures are usually determine at the corporate level. They are also usually the same for all locations.

by Anonymousreply 2107/10/2013

When I moved from SF in 2008, a lot of Walgreens had Robitussin cough syrup locked up. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2207/10/2013

Air fresheners and over the counter pain reliever medicines go missing apparently at my local Walmart. The air freshener sections buzzes and I have actually heard people rattle as they leave the aspirin section.

Those two sections are often empty of a lot of products.

by Anonymousreply 2307/11/2013

I've never seen any of these things locked away but I've seen cough medicine and condoms locked away.

by Anonymousreply 2407/11/2013

There are no locked cases in any stores where I live. Of course, it's an all-white area in Connecticut so that's probably the reason why.

by Anonymousreply 2507/11/2013

Because of SIZZURP, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2607/11/2013

r21 has the most fractured writing. The first two points are lost on me.

by Anonymousreply 2707/11/2013

I'm really stunned about the Tide economy.

by Anonymousreply 2807/11/2013

Note to self: if I am ever shopping for baby formula, razor blades, or cigarettes late at night or in a hideous neighborhood, don't waste time browsing the aisles. Ask for help.

by Anonymousreply 2907/12/2013

I recently bought a couple of cans of air duster from Target, and they fucking ran my license like I was buying a controlled item. It surprised me, but the kid who was ringing me up claimed it was because people were using the cans to break locks???!!!

by Anonymousreply 3007/12/2013

R30 - yes. Where there's a will, there's a way.

by Anonymousreply 3107/13/2013

r30, people also inhale that duster. There was an Intervention episode about a female med school student who was completely strung out on it 24/7. It was the most disturbing episode I've ever seen (besides the one where the woman cradles and guzzles bottles of mouthwash in front of her kids).

The Tide economy article in NYMagazine (link above) was a revelation. It was so interesting to learn the WalMart doesn't give a shit if it gets stolen. That's because WalMart doesn't actually "own" anything on their shelves until it is purchased.

So, Proctor & Gamble owns the Tide until the split second the register rings it up. Then ownership is transferred from P&G to WalMart and then to the customer. WalMart could care less if you steal it - it isn't their problem its P&G's problem. So interesting and so telling.

by Anonymousreply 3201/21/2014

I used to work at Shoppers Drug Mart, where we kept baby formula locked in cabinets as well.

At the time, my manager told me that baby formula is the #1 most stolen item in Canada. Linked article mentions it is used to cut coke and heroin.

by Anonymousreply 3301/21/2014

When I was out of work for a while raising my daughter I can clearly remember what a budget-buster formula was. And diapers.

I had a very difficult time breastfeeding and trust me it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper so I would have if I could have. I never got desperate enough to steal it, but I sure thought about it. There are so many people with less than me - I couldn't blame them if they did steal it. I believe it is artificially priced so high. Formula should be affordable for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 3401/21/2014

Drug addicts also steal baby formula and return it elsewhere because it's expensive and gets them a lot of cash back. It was discussed on a relatively recent episode of Intervention.

by Anonymousreply 3501/21/2014

Is this your first time out of Mommy and Daddy's Gated Community, Jayden?

by Anonymousreply 3601/21/2014

[quote]I've seen cough medicine and condoms locked away.

What Bible Belt shithole do you live in where people are forced to ask a clerk for condoms? Is it 1982 where you live?

by Anonymousreply 3701/21/2014

R17, because they don't. However, unless a working mother wants to pump milk, she will not produce enough for a baby once she is back at work.

by Anonymousreply 3801/21/2014

Oh, wow. The first page of the NY Mag article had me cracking up. I have a hard time picturing how someone can abscond with one of those huge, heavy Tide containers let alone many of them. And it has to be Tide. What a revelation the article is after just one page.

by Anonymousreply 3901/21/2014

What a depressing thread. People have to steal food for their BABIES?

Ugh. I hate this world.

Desperate people do desperate things. Massive numbers of poor people are a threat to our national security. So up goes the gated communities and here comes the hummers. Pass the CCWs around...

by Anonymousreply 4001/21/2014

Saying only Negroes steal is racist.

by Anonymousreply 4101/21/2014

They lock up gum in some Chicago Walgreens

by Anonymousreply 4201/21/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4301/21/2014

I've known about the Tide thing for years, but have never understood it. I have always HATED Tide, and groaned whenever my parents bought it (I preferred Cheer, Wisk, Gain, All & others).

Tide makes laundry smell like cat pee. Especially Tide powder. And the smell lingers and increases if you iron your clothes.

Never got the Tide love. Makes sense if it's a meth precursor, since I understand methmaking smells like cat piss, too.

by Anonymousreply 4401/21/2014

by Anonymousreply 4501/21/2014

There was a Cracked article about this stuff. Apparently socks are used to sniff paint trough them, shoe laces used by people who shoot to tie their arm and crack heads love little glass tubes where they sell plastic roses in.

by Anonymousreply 4601/21/2014

okay kids..this is the lowdown. people are stealing formula to feed their kids. they sell it in the ghetto for less than it costs in the stores so that the seller can get fast cash. the same goes for chewing gum, razors, etc. chewing gum in particular is very hot right now.

by Anonymousreply 4701/21/2014

whoops, sorry. i am typing from my phone and that meant to say they ARE NOT stealing baby food to feed their kids..but they can buy it from the person who did steal it on the street for much less than they can in a store. the person selling it needs hard cash and the person buying it usually gets it for less, unless they're on welfare and use food stamps. or they use food stamps for other things and buy it cheap off the streets. sometimes it's used in drug transactions.

by Anonymousreply 4801/21/2014

What happens to the Tide? Does it wind up on the shelves of inner city corner stores?

by Anonymousreply 4901/21/2014

Its getting to the point where I can't relate to you in the USA.

Why don't you gays find a nice Continental man and move over here? Seriously.

Straights, you can stay right where you're standing.

by Anonymousreply 5001/21/2014

I seem to remember reading that baby formula powder can also be used to dilute cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 5101/21/2014

r47, r34 here. Just so you know, there are mothers really struggling to feed their kids. I WAS tempted to steal the formula. But I didn't. It is way overpriced. And I wasn't on welfare or anything. Just out of work on short term disability (making 90 bucks a week - thanks New York State) while I cared for my newborn. This system we live in hurts people badly.

by Anonymousreply 5201/21/2014

by Anonymousreply 5301/21/2014

What's the ingredient in Tide that's used by drug dealers? Something that isn't in Cheer, Wisk or other brands - never heard of this.

I know Tide is more expensive because it's supposed to be a "premiere" brand among detergents (I don't like it personally) but never knew it had a different ingredient composition.

by Anonymousreply 5401/21/2014

Totally with you, r45. I actually like the smell of the detergent in the dark and light green bottles. It gets stains out better than Tide and is super cheap.

I don't care who sees the bottle in my recycling bin.

by Anonymousreply 5501/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!