Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Eliot Spitzer, Anthony Weiner...Can't they do something else besides run for office?

MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell posed an interesting question on his Monday night show.

Why can't these guys and other like them shrouded in scandal do something else? Why do they have to run for office--again?

Sure they need to make a living, but does it have to be politics? I agree with O'Donnell.

Your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 12607/13/2013

They're obsessed with power. Narcissists and sociopaths always are.

by Anonymousreply 107/09/2013

Comptroller Whore-fucker and Mayor Dick-pic

New Yorkers must be so proud!

by Anonymousreply 207/09/2013

The two of them need to go get jobs. And not in politics further embarrassing themselves and the city.

by Anonymousreply 307/09/2013

Weiner couldn't get a real job after the tweeting, so his only option is "public service."

by Anonymousreply 407/09/2013

Hey, once a politician, only a politician. They can't be trusted to be Target Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 507/09/2013

Well America is obsessed with the sex lives of our politicians then we are with what they actually do so you reap what you sew.

Actual survey showed it was 2 to 1 as far as what people here care about. Its the sex scandal.

Never mind that you are ripping me off an f-ing me in the ass, you can stay, just dont tweet dick pics, oh the horror, you must be banished from society.

by Anonymousreply 607/09/2013

In both cases, I think they're using this as a springboard to different offices. I mean, Weiner has wanted to be Mayor for a long time, but I doubt that's the endgame for him. He just wants to put himself back out in front of the public so he can run for Congress again. If he should actually be elected, that's just a bonus, although I don't know if he'd beat Quinn in a runoff.

Spitzer wants to be Comptroller so he can go after Wall Street, likely with the aim of either running for Attorney General or Governor again. If New York County DA was open (if Cy Vance was retiring), I bet he'd be running for that instead.

by Anonymousreply 707/09/2013

What R1 said.

by Anonymousreply 807/09/2013

whos going to be the Public Advocate, The Mayflower Madam?

by Anonymousreply 907/09/2013

Men just never know when it's time to shut up and go away.

by Anonymousreply 1007/09/2013

If Mark Sanford can do it, why not them?

by Anonymousreply 1107/09/2013

I think they both did their jobs really well. I don't give two shits if they cheated on their wives. A million other guys do too. I would vote for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 1207/09/2013

Spitzer is hot. He's handsome with total BDF. I'd let him destroy my sunflower.

by Anonymousreply 1307/09/2013

Spitzer was harassing Wall St. bankers back in '06, when nobody knew what they were up to. Turns out he's also quite the whoring manslut. Roger Stone, Nixonian sleazebag extraordinaire, pulled some strings in the Bush administration to hunt down Spitzer's mistress. And the rest is history.

Then the global financial system almost melted down.

As with most Democratic sex scandals, the primary question for me is "who benefits?" Spitzer's name is mud, and the bankers got off without a scratch.

by Anonymousreply 1407/09/2013

What R8 said.

by Anonymousreply 1507/09/2013

What R12 said.

by Anonymousreply 1607/09/2013

Cheating/betrayal of any kind indicates selfishness and dishonesty. Not exactly the qualities I would want in any representative of mine. I'd only support him if I knew he had some good therapy. And even then I'd be suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 1707/09/2013

Once you have a criminal record, running for office is just about the only thing you CAN do.

by Anonymousreply 1807/09/2013

I'd love to have Spitzer as AG or state comptroller in Texas. It'll never happen, but he's tough and effective.

by Anonymousreply 1907/09/2013

Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, JFK.....all major cheaters and pussyhounds.

Would you rather they had not run for office?

by Anonymousreply 2007/09/2013

Eliot Spitzer is worth 50 million and heir to at least 100 more. The man could discreetly run a little foundation or something like that. But to someone else's comment, he is power mad and ego obsessed as is Weiner.

These bitches will cut someone to get back in office in some capacity. Fucking losers.

by Anonymousreply 2107/09/2013

And to add to R20's point, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum don't cheat (by all accounts). Do you want THEM in control?

by Anonymousreply 2207/09/2013

R20, who said someone with more integrity couldn't have done better?

by Anonymousreply 2307/09/2013

Well, if you're not from NY, no one cares what you think. Spitzer has my vote. He was very effective as AG.

Concern yourselves with the psychopaths who are trying to turn your cities/states into Fascist theocracies.

by Anonymousreply 2407/09/2013

Clinton was/is a serial cheater. George W. Bush was faithful to his wife. Who was the better president?

by Anonymousreply 2507/09/2013

You think you know that Mitt and Rick don't cheat, R22? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2607/09/2013

Just to ditto what R1 said. They are narcissociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 2707/09/2013

This country is so puritanical. One guy send a dick pic and the other guy paid for sex. In France, this would help their political careers.

Everybody needs to get off their high horses...especially people on DL.

A dick pic? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2807/09/2013

[quote] Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, JFK.....all major cheaters and pussyhounds. Would you rather they had not run for office?

Apparently R17 would rather they had not.

If we knew the sexual indiscretions of all elected officials, people like R17 would become so morally outraged, I do believe she would pass out cold.

It's just sex, people. And it's between the politician and his/her spouse as far as passing any kind of judgment. The United States is still a Puritan nation when it comes to things like this.

I hope both Spitzer and Wiener win.

by Anonymousreply 2907/09/2013

Given our past, we guess we could inspire a new sexually tinged drink: The Big Weiner Spitzer and Elixir.

by Anonymousreply 3007/09/2013

I like both of them.

And would totally get down with Spitzer, btw.

Smart, too.

by Anonymousreply 3107/09/2013

ITA r2, but we know Diogenes is still looking.

by Anonymousreply 3207/09/2013

And what's worse, they both may very well win - voters are idiots

by Anonymousreply 3307/09/2013

Where do you live, R33?

by Anonymousreply 3407/09/2013

They are two of the only Democrats in the country who really and truly stood up to Republicans and the powerful interests (Weiner's AIPAC ties notwithstanding). We need more politicians like them.

Personal demons are personal demons. The men were superb public servants, especially Spitzer. But yeah of course they're both narcissists, they're politicians.

by Anonymousreply 3507/09/2013

[quote] And what's worse, they both may very well win

One can only hope.

by Anonymousreply 3607/09/2013

Why doesn't someone ask Lawrence O'Donnell, Mika Brezinski, Joe Scarborough, Marc Halperin and everyone else at MSNBC who has gotten on this bandwagon, how they can on the one hand worship the ground Bill Clinton walks on, praise him every time they get the chance as the greatest thing since sliced bread, and yet take such joy in remonstrating against Spitzer and Weiner?

Is it the ex-president gets a pass?

Is it that he's a good old Southern boy?

Is it that he's just so powerful they worship his dick?

Is it just that his scandal is so of the last century and that's the statute of limitations as far as they're concerned?

What exactly is it?

Is it that he is out of public life?

Is it that Clinton, unlike Weiner, actually got laid?

Is it that Clinton, lied about having sex with an intern but Spitzer paid for sex?

Is it that Clinton's affairs, though constant, were just affairs, whereas Weiner texted his dick and didn't have sex, but crossed some sort of line of embarrassment?

Because no matter what it is, it is hypocrisy and they need to be called on it.

by Anonymousreply 3707/09/2013

Yep, R35. I mean I can do without the Uber-Zionist bullshit, but I love them both as reps for NYC and I hope they both win. I loathe Quinn.

I'm sure there are some genuinely good liberals out there who I'd love, but they still don't have the name recognition to win.

by Anonymousreply 3807/09/2013

[quote]Why doesn't someone ask Lawrence O'Donnell, Mika Brezinski, Joe Scarborough, Marc Halperin

Dear God, I don't think I could sit through that group unless I had a gun to my head.

by Anonymousreply 3907/09/2013

R13, you are mistaken. Spitzer is a Horace Mann alumnus. Unless things changed dramatically after senior year, I can attest that his BDF is an illusion.

But what I do NOT know is what the kink was to which the hooker referred. Did that ever emerge?

by Anonymousreply 4007/09/2013

I don't like Weiner, but I think his pics were harmless stupidity. Spitzer, on the other hand, sickens me. He was a zealous AG who targeted vice and the sex industry, yet partook. If a madam is prosecuted for her criminal enterprise, a john like Spitzer is just a culpable. He represents the worst kind of political hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 4107/09/2013

It's not just sex, R29, it's betrayal. Dumbass. If these had been single people, no big deal.

Are you that stupid that you can't tell the difference?

But maybe you've never had a relationship in your life. That I believe.

by Anonymousreply 4207/09/2013

[quote]It's not just sex, [R29], it's betrayal. Dumbass. If these had been single people, no big deal.

Yeah, it's a betrayal to the person they were in a relationship with, it wasn't a betrayal to YOU, the constituent.

by Anonymousreply 4307/09/2013

R43, That's like saying I should accept the behavior of anyone as long as I am not the direct recipient. That's ludicrous.

2)If you are my representative, your behavior in office can have a direct effect on my welfare. So yes, I can scrutinize what you do off the court.

by Anonymousreply 4407/09/2013

They should just go away. They are like Charlie Sheen and Lindsey Lohan, they have over stayed their welcome.

I imagine their backers can't find anyone else willing to be bought, for a low price.

by Anonymousreply 4507/09/2013

If only Richard Nixon had been sex-crazed, the history of our nation might be very different.

Although he did have an affair with Julia Meade. But "an affair with Julia Meade" doesn't really sound like sex.

By the way, R45, your first comma should have been a semi-colon. Your second comma should not exist.

by Anonymousreply 4607/09/2013

[quote]I'd love to have Spitzer as AG or state comptroller in Texas. It'll never happen, but he's tough and effective.

He's also too smart to live in Texas, so you're right that it'll never happen.

R41 correctly points out that he's a hypocrite, & I don't want dishonest people in positions of power (too many of them there already). But he is extremely intelligent & should be doing something useful with that ability, like a think tank. So much talent shouldn't be wasted.

by Anonymousreply 4707/09/2013

Lots of banking industry shills here today, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 4807/09/2013

[quote]That's like saying I should accept the behavior of anyone as long as I am not the direct recipient. That's ludicrous.

So you prefer someone like Dubya who screws over everyone else but his family.

by Anonymousreply 4907/09/2013

Something about their unbridled lust for power is very disturbing. I'm tired of narcissists who feel entitled to be in office.

by Anonymousreply 5007/09/2013

Echoing R40, does anyone know what Spitzer wanted the hooker to do, that the madam was warning her about, i.e., 'things you might not think are safe'?

by Anonymousreply 5107/09/2013

Spitzer is a hypocrite for busting prostitution rings to make a public name for himself while patronizing prostitutes in private.

NYC residents must be perversely corrupt to want men like him and Weiner for high office.

by Anonymousreply 5207/09/2013

What's Spitzer's wife been up to?

by Anonymousreply 5307/09/2013

r42, I don't give a shit about someone's integrity in their relationship when judging them professionally. If someone is the best person to perform surgery, I'll go to him or her and wouldn't give a shit about philandering. If someone is a great writer, I will read his or her works even if he or she is the most unfaithful spouse. And if someone is the best person to hold a political office, I'll vote for him or her irrespective of whether he or she cheats on his spouse.

One thing has nothing whatsoever to do with the other as far as I'm concerned. I respect if you feel differently, but I would expect that you'd respect that I feel differently than you do. Let it influence your vote. It won't influence mine.

by Anonymousreply 5407/09/2013

R54, I certainly *do* give a shit about integrity, *particularly* in a position where integrity and honesty are paramount. I can think of few other professions where these things are more important than in politics. A surgeon or a writer? Not so much. A politician? Inextricable.

by Anonymousreply 5507/09/2013

The OP obviously knows absolutely nothing about Eliot Spitzer, but the OP is mouthing off anyway in complete ignorance.

And those of you knocking Spitzer know nothing about him either.

So many uninformed, uneducated, know-nothing posts in one thread.

by Anonymousreply 5607/09/2013

r55, you are hopelessly naive if you think "integrity" and "honesty" are present at all in politics.

by Anonymousreply 5707/09/2013

[quote]It's not just sex, [R29], it's betrayal

Then please answer R20's question. Would the nation have been better off without Jefferson? Roosevelt? JFK?

[quote]Spitzer is a hypocrite for busting prostitution rings to make a public name for himself while patronizing prostitutes in private

And THIS is what bugs me about Spitzer. The hypocrisy, not the sex.

And the way Weiner handled his crisis: lies and attacking his critics. Oh, how I long for someone who only fucks around on his wife.

by Anonymousreply 5807/10/2013

They didn't get enough love as children.

by Anonymousreply 5907/10/2013

Jesus, there are a lot of sanctimonious twats posting in this thread.

In a politician I am interested in how he's going to vote. The best we can hope for is that once he's bought, he stays bought. That's how it's done here in America. Don't like it? Shut up and get busy working on campaign finance reform.

I'd vote for Spitzer at any time and for any office. I have tremendous confidence in his abilities. I'd vote for Weiner pretty much the same way, although I like Spitzer more.

I don't care who they fucked, paid for kinky sex, sent dick pics to or hypocritically prosecuted. I also don't care that you do care. It just makes me think you're not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 6007/10/2013

Complaining about politicians (or actors) being narcissists is complaining about water being wethh. And what is this integrity bullshit? Grow up. R60 said it well. No politician is anywhere close to perfect. Spitzer and Weiner are generally going to work in office to favor policies to help the masses. Either one gets my vote.

Sex scandals play well because people relate to them, there is.way more important shit I am concerned about in the people given political power.

by Anonymousreply 6107/10/2013

[quote]He's also too smart to live in Texas, so you're right that it'll never happen.

Thanks for that needless nastiness. Does your geographic superiority make you feel warm and tingly on the inside?

by Anonymousreply 6207/10/2013

r60 nailed it. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 6307/10/2013

Grifters are gonna grift.

by Anonymousreply 6407/10/2013

Dare I say that Spitzer's and Weiner's rebirths from their mishaps are actually signs of their strength, perseverance and tenaciousness?

Compare John Edwards or Jim McGreevey.

by Anonymousreply 6507/10/2013

Bravo, r60 & r65. Perfectly and eloquently stated.

by Anonymousreply 6607/10/2013

R60, good statement and accurate, but a NYC comptroller does not vote, neither does a NY Attorney General.

by Anonymousreply 6707/10/2013

[quote]Dare I say that Spitzer's and Weiner's rebirths from their mishaps are actually signs of their strength, perseverance and tenaciousness?

I dare say you're full of shit. Their return to politics is a sign that they are so power-mad as to be without shame.

by Anonymousreply 6807/10/2013

Weiner is a great liberal.

I hope he gets to be mayor. It's certainly a step up from the freeper tyrant who currently occupies the position.

by Anonymousreply 6907/10/2013

R68, being NYC or NY comptroller, the position which Spitzer is running for, is not a power-mad position nor particularly powerful position, R68.

Spitzer has been an attorney, NY Attorney General, NY Governor, philanthropist, real estate developer in his family business - he prefers public service and a public position where he can institute governmental changes.

Spitzer is one of the most well-informed, educated, erudite, extremely intelligent, well-rounded, and progressive men around.

When someone is wealthy, they often are interested in public service where they can make a positive, progressive difference in the lives of peoples and in instituting governmental changes.

R68, you are quite silly and inane in your narrow point of view.

by Anonymousreply 7007/10/2013

R60 is a pompous ass. There is room for lots of different thoughts and opinions here. Your proclamation that you don't care about this or that makes you sound like a jerk...as if you have the final word and opinion on a topic up for discussion.

The topic is not so much a moralistic one (which seemed to be much of your focus) but rather--or in addition to--the topic is also one of examining a public figure's motivation and personality.

Since you don't seem to care about many others who offered comments or what they had to say, perhaps you should just move along and keep you pomposity to yourself. Your comment was not eloquently stated. Instead, you sounded like a big blowhard who largely missed the point in your loud mouth zeal to put everyone in their place.

by Anonymousreply 7107/10/2013

Those comparing Bill Clinton to Spitzer, Sanford or Weiner are a bit off base.

This thread is not so much about a sex scandal while in office--but rather about those politicians who have a sex scandal and then can't seem to find anything else to do, so two years later they decide to run for office again.

Bill Clinton didn't run for office again after he left office. Granted, he was president so he's realistically not going to run for anything again. But I think you see my point with Spitzer, Sanford and Weiner all runnig again...and in Sanford's case--winning again.

by Anonymousreply 7207/10/2013

Thank you, R71. Exactly.

Sometimes there is no hope for adult conversation here.

by Anonymousreply 7307/10/2013

R71 = Citibank PR shill.

by Anonymousreply 7407/10/2013

R70, Spitzer threw all that away over hookers. He resigned his governorship in disgrace. People who do that should have the decency to lay low for a LONG time. He is not the only person in NY qualified to be the Comptroller. But he is one of very few who have already made a mockery of his own fitness for public service.

by Anonymousreply 7507/10/2013

I completely agree with R60 who outlines the salient points.

by Anonymousreply 7607/10/2013

W&W for you, r9!

by Anonymousreply 7707/10/2013

R62, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by saying that Spitzer is too smart to live in Texas.

I wasn't trying to be "nasty", just stating my observation based on over 40 years' experience. I've known smart people who live in Texas because of family ties, &/or health issues, &/or economic concerns (job, school, poverty). But I've never known anyone smart who could leave yet chooses to stay there & endure the political & cultural conditions.

Ergo: Spitzer (a smart man without apparent family ties, health issues, or economic concerns that might persuade him to live in Texas) strikes me as unlikely to take up residence there.

I do think the state of Texas would be much better off with more leaders like Eliot Spitzer, & I certainly applaud the smart & dedicated people like Wendy Davis (& Anne Richards before her) who hang in there for some reason & make the effort against all odds. If you're one of those, R62, more power to you & I'd love to see you prove me wrong someday soon.

by Anonymousreply 7807/10/2013

I have no problem with what either one of them did. It was their own personal business. If I lived in NY, I would gladly vote for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 7907/10/2013

R79, well-said. I agree completely.

by Anonymousreply 8007/10/2013

Fascinating denial, but that happens.

by Anonymousreply 8107/10/2013

I agree that a couple's sex lives are their business only.

But if a person in public office betrays his/her spouse, might he/she not betray the public too? He/she has demonstrated that he/she is willing to betray trust -- does he/she differentiate between the trust of his/her spouse & the trust of "The Public"? Seems he/she might be more loyal to his/her beloved spouse than to the faceless "Public".

I realize that the temptation to betray a spouse is triggered by sex, & maybe there will never be such a strong temptation to betray something abstract like "The Public". But who knows? I've failed to resist the overwhelming temptation of sex -- I hope I would resist the lesser temptation of mere bribery -- but I now realize that I'm capable of betrayal, so I'm not sure how far I might go.

I wonder whether Spitzer & Wiener ask themselves such questions, & answer them honestly. I think they should before they consider running for public office.

by Anonymousreply 8207/10/2013

They both have beady eyes. Ick.

by Anonymousreply 8307/10/2013

I hope they both win

by Anonymousreply 8407/10/2013

The real betrayal, R82, are politicians who do not vote for the public good and politicians without voting power who establish policies not for the public good.

I don't buy your betrayal theory of sexual betrayal equals betrayal of the public trust down the road - not for a second.

You seem to be talking more about yourself and your own weaknesses.

by Anonymousreply 8507/10/2013

I hope they both win too.

by Anonymousreply 8607/10/2013

wanted to throw in there that it's probably worth remembering the Spitzer and Weiner scandal differences. And I liked Frank Bruni's recent Times column where he reminds us that Spitzer is asking for a spot he might be over qualified for where Weiner essentially is asking for a promotion.

by Anonymousreply 8707/10/2013

The concept of honor is lost on this generation. In politer times people who stepped down in disgrace remained "gone" to spare society the embarrassment of having to deal with them again.

by Anonymousreply 8807/10/2013

Democrats sure do love their slimy exemplars.

by Anonymousreply 8907/10/2013

[quote]Democrats sure do love their slimy exemplars.

Better these two fuck over their spouses rather than the rest of us, unlike the Republicans who fuck over both.

by Anonymousreply 9007/10/2013

Fair enough, r85 -- I'm weak & therefore I know what that's like.

When someone in a position of public trust displays weakness of any kind, I do sit up & take notice. Then I ask myself whether or not he's displayed an important character flaw -- we all have them, though some of us haven't yet been tested to show them.

A man/woman betraying his/her spouse's trust isn't automatically a deal-breaker, just an alert. I do realize that every human is capable of betraying a trust -- some of us just haven't been tested yet, but each of us does have his/her price -- the question is how we react to the test.

by Anonymousreply 9107/10/2013

[quote]I don't buy your betrayal theory of sexual betrayal equals betrayal of the public trust down the road - not for a second.

I think it's personal business. A lot of people do sexty stuff.

I'm not R82, but yeah I see the logic.. I don't think these things 'equal' each other.. but it's not totally unreasonable for the public to ask: Is tweeting dick pics to all your followers by mistake a sign of bad judgement more generally?

well, is it?

by Anonymousreply 9207/10/2013

Betraying a spouse is so common that it is a dime a dozen.

Betraying the public trust happens much less often than cheating on a spouse does.

Although, I think Republicans who do not vote for the public good are betraying the public trust.

by Anonymousreply 9307/10/2013

Try as they may (or may not), power often leads to political corruption, betrayal, etc. for those who succumb to the temptation.

They start to take chances because they can. Then they think they will not get caught. Then they start to rationalize things and tell themselves that it's not that bad, etc., etc.

Before you know it, they've done a list of things wrong, and then all hell breaks loose because they've done somethikng illegal and/or have goten tangled up with someone who can't keep their mouth shut, is out for revenge or simply an honest person discovers the wrongdoing and has had enough.

by Anonymousreply 9407/10/2013

r89

Just ignore all those closet queens and hooker customers in the Republican party. Do the names "Diaper" Dave Vitter and "Wide Stance" Larry Craig ring a bell?

by Anonymousreply 9507/10/2013

R91 is SO RIGHT!

All politicians who have sex with women who are not their wives should be run out of public office in shame and disgrace - FOREVER! In fact, all social and cultural leaders who cheat on their wives should be pilloried, if not actually whipped, in the public square.

Where would this country be if we allowed such men to stay in office or return to office or to speechify about matters of import to the populace? Surely chaos and moral turpitude would destroy us all in minutes. MINUTES!

As R91 knows all too well, it would be the ruination of ANY country that tolerated such a terrible thing. Infidelity must be ruthlessly suppressed and with any luck, re-criminalized. Those Puritans really did get some things right and we should have stuck with them.

Scarlet A's all around, please.

by Anonymousreply 9607/10/2013

My love, John Edwards, is the only one not to attempt a comeback so far.

I think he's out of politics for good, but who knows. I don't think he particularly enjoyed being a U.S. Senator for 6 years.

The others, Governor Sanford of SC, Weiner of NY, Spitzer of NY - all making attempts at comebacks and looking like they might succeed. I'm all for it.

by Anonymousreply 9707/10/2013

Thankfully it's not that fucking Mark Green, spoiling primaries and elections for the umpteenth time.

Rather have these 2 scandal hounds than a man whose only job seems to be running for office on his brother's dime.

You do know that thanks to Green spoiling the Democratic primary in 2001 (well the 9/11 attacks didn't help) we've been stuck w/Bloomberg for 12 years?

by Anonymousreply 9807/10/2013

You're "love," R97?

OK, maybe that's why you seem a little over-invested in the topic.

by Anonymousreply 9907/10/2013

Want to see my pee pee?

by Anonymousreply 10007/10/2013

I am not over-invested in the topic, R99.

It is called having an opinion.

And I have a strong opinion on this issue.

Sexual adventures should not keep very intelligent, progressive, great public servants from being in public office and running again.

I feel that strongly about Spitzer and Weiner. I hope they regain public office and use their intelligence well as they have done before.

I don't particularly want John Edwards in public office again. He has a lot to offer in other ways - such as representing, as an attorney, poor or middle class people who need representation on a wide variety of issues. I think he might be ready to do that, as in the past month or two he reinstated and/or renewed his law license. He is also in a position to do great philanthropic work outside of the being an attorney.

by Anonymousreply 10107/10/2013

[quote] a job exponentially more influential than the one that he’d never done especially well in the first place.

This is what Bruni says about Weiner's tenure in congress. I thought he was well liked by his constituents and effective in his role.

[quote]Although he did have an affair with Julia Meade. But "an affair with Julia Meade" doesn't really sound like sex.

I'd never heard anything of a Nixon affair. Interesting. No, not really.

by Anonymousreply 10207/10/2013

Beady eyes and small dicks.

Keep your dick worship to yourself, Weiner boy.

And, I do mean BOY!

by Anonymousreply 10307/10/2013

The American public must come to the realization that powerful men sometimes enjoy more sex than their wives can provide. Hell, even many less powerful men do.

They always have, it's just that now it's so much harder to hide the fact.

by Anonymousreply 10407/10/2013

Or the type of sex. Spitzer was exclusively anal with the prostitute.

by Anonymousreply 10507/10/2013

Yes, R104, but must we also come to the realization that those same powerful men will sic the NYPD, the FBI, and even the NSA on reporters and others who dare to ask difficult questions that these powerful men don't feel like answering?

Weiner threatened a reporter with police intervention while he was still denying sending erotic pics to women who didn't ask to see them.

by Anonymousreply 10607/10/2013

R105, I've read all about the many details of Spitzer's sexual escapades and I've never read it was anal sex.

by Anonymousreply 10707/10/2013

[quote]Yes, [R104], but must we also come to the realization that those same powerful men will sic the NYPD

Ray Kelly is far, far scarier than either Spitzer or Weiner.

by Anonymousreply 10807/10/2013

I read an interview she gave in which she mentioned anal and that it wasn't a "big deal" for her. It stuck out in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 10907/10/2013

I love how VOTN (r108) has become quite an expert on NYC politics in just a month of living here! What a fast learner.

by Anonymousreply 11007/10/2013

I'm a diehard Democrat. And I see that a lot posters on this thread don't care about these Democrats and their sexual dalliances.

Did you feel the same way when the Repug Larry Craig got caught with a wide stance in the airport men's room and Repug David Vitter got caught cheating on his wife with prostitutes?

Were they still qualified to serve and run for reelection as David Vitter did?

by Anonymousreply 11107/10/2013

R111, their sexual escapades should not keep them out of office, but I'm not in favor of their conservative Republican policies and votes.

by Anonymousreply 11207/10/2013

I'm reasonably sure Spitzer wouldn't be doing this had his career in television taken off.

by Anonymousreply 11307/10/2013

Poll: Eliot Spitzer Leads New York City Comptroller Primary

by Anonymousreply 11407/10/2013

[quote]I love how VOTN ([R108]) has become quite an expert on NYC politics in just a month of living here! What a fast learner.

Do let me know when I'm allowed to have an opinion on things.

Would it bother you too much if I actually voted in the primary, or do I need your approval first?

by Anonymousreply 11507/11/2013

R110 is correct. Can't wait till he's busy at his diploma mill.

by Anonymousreply 11607/11/2013

R107, R109. If I recall from the press written at the time, Spitzer was into anal and didn't want to use lube. He liked to give it to the woman rough.

And when fucking pussy, he wouldn't wear a condom.

He may be a smart and gutsy politician, but he's a brute who gets turned on by sexually dominating and controlling woman.

by Anonymousreply 11707/11/2013

[quote]Did you feel the same way when the Repug Larry Craig got caught with a wide stance in the airport men's room and Repug David Vitter got caught cheating on his wife with prostitutes?

Not quite getting the "analogy" thing, are we cupcake?

Do I feel the same say about Spitzer and Weiner getting caught with their pants down as a closeted gay man voting against gay rights? As a "family values" Republican doing diaper kink?

No.

You seem awfully vested in convincing a group of gay men that Spitzer and Weiner are Very Bad Men Indeed. One wonders what makes a "diehard Democrat" so vested in changing opinions.

by Anonymousreply 11807/11/2013

"Sexual adventure" has nothing to do with it. Stop saying it's about sex because it's not.

Betrayal, deceit, dishonesty, lying, cheating. These are important measures of character, whether you accept this or not. If you can dishonor someone with whom you are in a close relationship, then what will keep you from doing the same with people you have never met? As someone mentioned, politicians are notorious for having issues in this area--why readily choose someone who has already proven they can't handle trust?

If someone proves their character to be lacking, there is an issue. It does not mean they are beyond redemption, or unqualified, but they ought to be considered as someone who has issues with integrity and treated as such. Hopefully they'll have done some serious soul-searching and recovered, reformed. But to take such redemption as a matter of course, and/or profess that it doesn't matter is just primitive and naive.

by Anonymousreply 11907/11/2013

WHY SPITZER RANKLES POWERFUL NEW YORK

Voters should get past the armchair psychoanalysis and look at his record

Eliot Spitzer’s return to the electoral arena as a candidate for city controller has triggered a competition among New York’s political, media and Wall Street elites to see who can heap the most ridicule and contempt upon him.

There’s been a fair amount of religious-sounding moralizing by those who think adultery and/or hooker-hiring are deal-killers for anyone seeking or holding public office. Others employ a secular version of the same puritanical instinct, subjecting Spitzer to dime-store psychoanalysis and concluding he is too emotionally troubled to wield public power.

Here’s a reality check: A lot of the condemnation you hear is actually resentment and panic by elites who have been on the receiving end of Spitzer’s various crusades. Many of them have deep attachments to institutions that deserved every bit of the grief Spitzer caused them.

(Disclosure: My wife used to work for Spitzer, and he was a guest “Wise Guy” on the NY1 show that I host.)

I’ll get to Wall Street in a minute. Let’s start with Spitzer’s long-running battle against employers who cheat low-wage workers.

Back in 2004, a community organization called the Urban Justice Center brought to light a scandalous situation in Central Park, where a company called M&T Pretzel had vendors — mostly immigrants from Bangladesh — illegally working long shifts without overtime and in some cases without being paid minimum wage. Then-Attorney General Spitzer went after the company and secured $450,000 in back pay, plus an agreement to obey labor laws.

He did something similar in Southampton, L.I., where a contractor was forced to pay $75,000 in back wages to 18 immigrant day laborers.

Here in the city, he settled with Gristedes supermarket for $3.2 million after finding that hundreds of deliverymen, mostly African immigrants, were being paid well below the minimum wage.

The list goes on.

There is a type of New Yorker who doesn’t mind a bit if thousands of miserably exploited folk are quietly selling them pretzels in Central Park, cutting the grass at their Hamptons estate and delivering groceries in Manhattan. That type of New Yorker is probably not a Spitzer fan.

But there is another kind of New Yorker who was proud of every one of Spitzer’s wage crusades against companies like Duane Reade and Food Emporium. And when he went after Wall Street, they cheered even louder.

Spitzer forced Merrill Lynch to pay a $100 million fine — to New York and other states — for the practice of having supposedly neutral analysts tout and promote stock in companies so that another branch of Merrill could land the same company’s investment business.

It was part of a pattern: Spitzer went hard after places like Smith Barney, Morgan Stanley and AIG, exposing widespread patterns of financial firms giving favored treatment to insiders while duping the broader investing public, the ordinary people relying on mutual funds and pension payments for a comfortable retirement.

Spitzer also rang the alarm, early and often, against the financial house of cards being built on Wall Street, taking institutions to task for creating and selling all-but-worthless mortgage securities as if they were reliable investments.

The elites will never forgive Spitzer for shining a light on the insider deals. The fact he is a son of privilege — a graduate of Horace Mann, Princeton and Harvard Law and the wealthy scion of a real estate empire — makes their hatred more acute.

by Anonymousreply 12007/11/2013

It’s just as well, then, that Spitzer has no intention of groveling before the Wall Streeters and political bosses for help in getting elected. He is relying on a different kind of voter — the clerks and security guards, deliverymen and laborers, small investors and retirees who benefited most from his time in public office.

Remember that the next time you read about why the notion of Spitzer as controller is supposed to be unthinkable. Unthinkable to whom?

by Anonymousreply 12107/11/2013

[quote]There’s been a fair amount of religious-sounding moralizing by those who think adultery and/or hooker-hiring are deal-killers for anyone seeking or holding public office

Did you accuse Spitzer of being a moralizing Puritan when he went after prostitution rings as Attorney General?

He was one of NY State's premier lawmakers. He prosecuted others for breaking the same laws that he chose to break in the name of fun. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 12207/11/2013

Here's some delightful news that should make those purse-lipped, finger-wagging moralists drop their monocles into their teacups!

The results of a Wall Street Journal-NBC 4 New York-Marist poll showed that after a mere three days as a contender, Democrats favored him over opponent Scott Stringer 42% to 33%.

by Anonymousreply 12307/11/2013

Oh me! I see r114 posted the same poll!

Such cheerful news can't be posted enough.

by Anonymousreply 12407/11/2013

Another one begs for understanding and forgiveness....

"I need help."

Then resign and seek some help, you lame ass crybaby.

by Anonymousreply 12507/13/2013

I think the more important question is why can't people from New York pronounce teh word comptroller correctly?

by Anonymousreply 12607/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.