Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I absolutely LOVE Baby Boom starring Diane Keaton

Share your love for the movie here!

by Anonymousreply 4410/26/2014

I prefer the sitcom version with DL-fave Kate Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 107/07/2013

I like it when others feel strongly about odd/unpopular things even when I don't happen to like them. So tired of everyone liking the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 207/07/2013

I've loved the movie ever since it came out when I was a little kid. I have the movie on DVD and it's definitely one of my favorite movies. I watch it a few times a year, and it's definitely a good winter movie.

Proof it doesn't take a huge budget and special CGI's to make a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 307/07/2013

When I was a young professional woman I really tried to copy her work wardrobe. I was not interested in babies and applesauce though.

by Anonymousreply 407/07/2013

R4 Did you ever get a co-op in Manhattan and a corner office?

by Anonymousreply 507/07/2013

CGI is destroying movies.

by Anonymousreply 607/07/2013

R6 I agree. "Actors" these days can't act worth shit and Hollywood thinks that a bunch of random CGI's make up for a shitty script (they don't).

by Anonymousreply 707/07/2013

R7, let us not forget 3D and explosions.

by Anonymousreply 807/07/2013

Diane Keaton gave a brilliant comic performance, comparable to Carole Lombard.

by Anonymousreply 907/07/2013

Sam Shepard was a total hunk in that film. Where is he now??

by Anonymousreply 1007/07/2013

[quote]Diane Keaton gave a brilliant comic performance, comparable to Carole Lombard.

Agree.

by Anonymousreply 1207/07/2013

[quote]Ugh. A patriarchal fantasy where a smart successful women learns she can only be happy as a stay-at-home mother.

You obviously haven't watched the movie because if you did, you'd know she started her own business where she ended up earning more money than she did working for someone else.

by Anonymousreply 1307/07/2013

In this movie, Sam Shepard was still hot!

by Anonymousreply 1407/07/2013

I can't remember the ending of this movie. Does she really give it all up to be a mom or can women truly have it all??

by Anonymousreply 1507/07/2013

The movie is indeed great but no better than the dozens of similar films Hollywood cranked out regularly in the 1930s and 40s with Claudette Colbert, Carole Lombard, Roz Russell, Jean Arthur and Myrna Loy.

by Anonymousreply 1607/07/2013

Colbert and Russell are my idea of heaven...

by Anonymousreply 1707/07/2013

r15, The company that she used to work for offers to buy her Country Baby baby food business. She is all excited about returning to the old board room for them to make their presentation to her on how they want to buy her out.

But she decides that she likes her new reality and doesn't want to sell. She makes that speech about how "if Food Consortium (or whatever her old company was called) can put Country Baby on every grocery store shelf, then so can I."

And she goes home from that meeting quite pleased with herself and her baby calls her "Mama" for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 1807/07/2013

R11: I was thinking the same thing through 7/8 ths of this film: jelly-making-tycoon at the end seemed thrown in: however it does speak to the struggles, sexism, and stereotypes of that era and it resonates just as clearly today.

by Anonymousreply 1907/07/2013

R18 Yes thanks I remember now. It was a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 2007/07/2013

great movie. the name of the corporation was Food Chain. I think it presented a very accurate view of 'working women' in the 80's

by Anonymousreply 2107/07/2013

I think it's Keaton's best performance and that includes Annie Hall.

They need to remake it with Katherine Heigl.

Just kidding.

by Anonymousreply 2207/07/2013

So here is my confession that I will only admit with the anonymity of DL: I've seen this movie maybe 4-5 times over the last 25 years, and by the time her baby calls her "Mama" at the end, I'm in tears. Every goddamned fucking time.

Yes, I'm a guy, and the only other movies I can remember crying at we're E.T. (I was 11) and Eight Below (dog lover).

by Anonymousreply 2307/08/2013

I love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 2407/08/2013

I'm sorry, I couldn't do it...

I pictured her wearing frosted lipstick and working at Dairy Queen.

by Anonymousreply 2507/08/2013

Mmmmm Sam Shepherd. He was hot. Thanks for the reminder. I just ordered it again from Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 2607/08/2013

Just reading today that the US is 20% of the worldwide movie-going population. They aren't making movies for us now. Movies have to be understood and enjoyed across many different languages and cultures now - so big explosions, cgi, writing and story not so important.

I realized why someone like Melissa McCarthy is so popular. You can just look at her and get the joke.

Anyway, when you're done watching Baby Boom, Let me know what you think of the hidden gem, Making Mr. Right. I love that movie too.

by Anonymousreply 2707/08/2013

R10, Shepard has been touring on-and-off with former lover, Patti Smith. There's also a documentary making the festival rounds on Shepard and his longtime friend, Johnny Dark, called SHEPARD AND DARK.

by Anonymousreply 2807/08/2013

My best friend and I used to have conversations almost entirely from movie dialog. We were friends for 35 years. He died last Oct.,after many years of dealing with HIV.

We both new so many movies practically by heart,and SO many that we'd watched repeatedly. Movies most people had never seen once! Baby Boom was one. Irreconcilable Differences, with Ryan O'Neil,Shelly Long & a very young Drew Barrimore,suing her ridiculous parents for emancipation,was another. CBTTFADJDJD, Barfly,Crimes of the Heart,Grey Gardens (of course!). Working Girl,Bullets over Broadway, Interiors,(& ALL Woody Allen),Francis & a thousand more.

I found DL just before he died, it really makes me happy. I think I could have gotten him into it as well. I think I've been using Datalonge to help me not obsess about Donny's death. If I start thinking about never being able to talk to him on the phone again it's just overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 2907/08/2013

Will "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" ever be released on DVD?

I've heard that its release is tied up with the rights to the soundtrack . . . then how was it released on VHS years ago?

by Anonymousreply 3007/08/2013

Cher was offered the lead, turned it down for Moonstruck.

Diane Keaton said she had to fight tooth and nail for the part because she was not box office material.

by Anonymousreply 3107/08/2013

BABY BOOM BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 3207/10/2013

Keaton's power suits are very flattering to her. She looks great.

by Anonymousreply 3307/10/2013

I like how she first carried the baby like a loaf of bread.

by Anonymousreply 3407/10/2013

I always thought it was funny how when she had sex with her first boyfriend (the geek), it lasted all of 4 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 3507/10/2013

Another Diane Keaton film, with a fine performance, that has fallen through the cracks over the years is "Shoot the Moon", with Albert Finney.

by Anonymousreply 3607/11/2013

Part 1-11 on youtube.

the 'Ma-ma" part at the end gets me too.

by Anonymousreply 3707/11/2013

That scene where she passes out from anger and frustration at the well just kills me. The actor with her in the scene makes me laugh too, he has no idea how to cope with this maniac carrying on in front of him.

by Anonymousreply 3807/11/2013

I loved this movie also, OP. I am going to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 3907/11/2013

Love it too, OP love Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 4007/11/2013

I love a woman in an Armani suit.

I think Diane Keaton's work is sadly misunderstood these days which is partly her own fault, but mostly due to other people's lack of imagination and short memories. She is a great actress and a true original.

I love Baby Boom.

"Shoot the Moon" is the best American film about a failing marriage ever made, and Keaton and Finney give incredible performances. The kids do too. I agree r36.

by Anonymousreply 4107/12/2013

Barbra Streisand was offered the role first and turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 4207/12/2013

I have always loved this movie. It's one of my favorites.

Only one nitpick: I wonder why they didn't ensure the baby her modesty during the diaper-changing scenes. I always find that odd. It's like they went out of their way to not cover her up. Of course the scenes are wholesome, but it still doesn't seem fair to the baby. (This is something I would only say on an anonymous message board.)

by Anonymousreply 4310/26/2014

It was on the other day and I watched it again and loved it. Never a big fan of movie babies but that Elizabeth is a treasure. Mama!

R41 you are spot on about Diane--and I love "Shoot the Moon". DK and Albert Finney are really something in that film. It doesn't seem to be around anywhere--its just the type of film you expect to show up on TCM with the appropriate Ben Mankiewicz intro...

by Anonymousreply 4410/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.