Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The idiots who took their carry ons down the inflatable slide....

should at the very least be given a smack across their faces.

by Anonymousreply 12407/11/2013

So what should be the punishment for those who think their comment on an existing topic needs its very own thread?

by Anonymousreply 107/07/2013

R1, flying on Asians airlines.

by Anonymousreply 207/07/2013

My carry-on is always my $200,000 17th century italian violin, so it goes with me no matter what!

by Anonymousreply 407/07/2013

Why? You don't know what their perspective was from inside the plane. Perhaps they just were able to GRAB AND GO with it. And some might have had valuable stuff in there. They were all probably disoriented, too, and just did what they would normally do, grab their overhead bag. I give those poor people a pass on this one.

by Anonymousreply 507/07/2013

If my plane crash lands an I am able to grab my carry-on while exiting the plane, you can bet I'm sure as fuck going to do it.

by Anonymousreply 607/07/2013

No excuse, R5. A lot of assholes ignore the pre-flight safety brief, but passengers are ALWAYS reminded to leave their carry on items when using the emergency exits.

by Anonymousreply 707/07/2013

What if they had their daily medications in those bags? Sorry, but I'm not leaving thousands of dollars worth of medications behind.

by Anonymousreply 807/07/2013

You can always let go of a carry-on as you're hitting the deep blue sea.

by Anonymousreply 907/07/2013

[quote]Sorry, but I'm not leaving thousands of dollars worth of medications behind.

What meds are you on exactly?!

by Anonymousreply 1007/07/2013

It is not as if airlines have ever treated people or their possessions as anything other than liabilities. If you can grab your stuff on your way out without preventing anyone else's chances of escape, then you may as well grab them. God knows the airlines will not attempt to reunite you with your things.

by Anonymousreply 1107/07/2013

Every second counts in a situation like that. For the person farthest from the exit, it might be the difference between getting out before the plane catches on fire or not. Plus, sharp edges can damage the inflatable chutes. That's why they tell you to remove your shoes.

There is absolutely nothing that you can have with you that is more important than one of the other passenger's life.

by Anonymousreply 1407/07/2013

R8, whatever medication you need would be available within minutes of being picked up by the medical personnel attending the crash.

by Anonymousreply 1507/07/2013

[quote] There is absolutely nothing that you can have with you that is more important than one of the other passenger's life.

Bullshit. It's every man for himself in emergency situations.

by Anonymousreply 1607/07/2013

Every second may count but if it takes a few minutes for other people ahead of you to go down the chute one at a time then that might give you ample time to open the compartment above you and grab your carry-on without slowing down the escape of anyone behind you.

by Anonymousreply 1807/07/2013

[quote] You don't realize that carrying luggage off the plane might impede other people exits?

I don't see how grabbing my bag and then using it as a weapon to push people to the floor so I can step over them is any of your business.

by Anonymousreply 1907/07/2013

R18, If things are done correctly, the crew can have everyone out of the plane in less than a minute.

There is no time to do anything except focus on getting out. People will panic, and someone obstructing exiting will only make things worse. Plus there is the risk of damaging the chute, which would prevent the people behind from getting out safely.

by Anonymousreply 2007/07/2013

What does it really matter to OP whether they took their carry-ons or not? I'll tell you: it gives him a huge opportunity to publicly chastise people for NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES!

There's a Cheryl within every gay man struggling and fighting to get out!

by Anonymousreply 2107/07/2013

I don't care if the plane is on fire, I'm taking the 1/2 second to grab my laptop from under my seat and leaving with it.

by Anonymousreply 2207/07/2013

You cannot expect people who have just been in a plane crash to act in a 100% rational way. It doesn't matter what the rules or best practices are. People may be operating thoughtlessly, on instinct and adrenaline, BECAUSE THEIR FUCKING PLANE JUST CRASHED.

by Anonymousreply 2307/07/2013

ORDER!!! ORDER!!!

by Anonymousreply 2507/07/2013

Well, R26, at least I am not the one having a meltdown on a message board over a highly theoretical situation that virtually none of us will ever experience.

COMPLETE FUCKING HYSTERICAL QUEEN YOU ARE!!!

by Anonymousreply 2707/07/2013

I alway put my backpack under the seat in front of me. I would have taken it with me, without creating issues in aisles. I realized that I just admitted to flying coach.

by Anonymousreply 2807/07/2013

Time to switch to decaf, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3107/07/2013

[quote]Meltdown? LOL I'm sitting here next to my jacuzzi in sunny LA, sipping on a coffee. LOL

Yes, screaming "COMPLETE FUCKING MORON YOU ARE!!!!!!" is indeed a full meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 3307/07/2013

if you think carry off luggage is crazy, the arabs flying to the Haij, often try to cook on the floor of the plane with alcohol stoves. The cabin crew really has to be on their toes this gaggle of kooks.

by Anonymousreply 3407/07/2013

{r33} I've calmed down a bit. Let me apologize and re phrase that. You are a complete fucking moron. Better? I stand by my statement. But in a much calmer way.

by Anonymousreply 3507/07/2013

All I said was that if I had half a second to grab my laptop, I was going to do it. Of course I would not push people out of the way to get out of the plane. Americans are so fat now, it would be a futile effort anyway. I wouldn't take my carryon shit out of the overhead, obviously. Of course none of us know how we would react in that situation if it really happened.

by Anonymousreply 3607/07/2013

I travel with my dog in-cabin, who stays at my feet. While not exactly "carry-on" there is no way in hell that I would not be taking him with me.

by Anonymousreply 3707/07/2013

Well, the next time this happens to any of you, you can just think "Now, what did that guy on Datalounge say I MUST do?" Hmmm.

See how helpful these threads are?

by Anonymousreply 3807/07/2013

How do you do that, R37? Tiny dog? Can you buy him a seat?

by Anonymousreply 3907/07/2013

a 17 lb chihuahua, R39, (about the size of a cat). He's very well traveled.

by Anonymousreply 4007/07/2013

I used to take my cat on planes. BITD, they'd even let me take him out of his carrier if they made a stop. Then he got bigger, and had to fly freight. I didn't fly him again after the first time.

by Anonymousreply 4107/07/2013

{36} yeah I mean lap top is not a big deal and I certainly would grab my pet. But overhead carry on luggage is like another human in the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 4207/07/2013

[quote] Yes, and their are also idiots

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4307/07/2013

LOl R32, so true.

by Anonymousreply 4407/07/2013

"Then he got bigger, and had to fly freight. I didn't fly him again after the first time."

What happened the first time that made you never fly him again - could you tell he was freaked out when you got him after the flight?

by Anonymousreply 4507/07/2013

Any passengers who attempt to bring their carry-on luggage with them should be forced to return to their seats, and seriously THINK about what they have done.

Doesn't anyone follow directions?

by Anonymousreply 4607/07/2013

As other have stated seconds make a difference with evacuations. Aircraft in the US have to be certified to be evacuated in 90 seconds. That's not a lot of time for 300 people on a jumbo jet. Your life, and the life of someone else is worth more than your laptop.

by Anonymousreply 4707/07/2013

If I'm flying First Class I should be allowed to take my Louis Vuitton bag. It's only fair.

by Anonymousreply 4807/07/2013

Have you guys ever tried taking the bus through San Francisco's Chinatown?

Those little old ladies can really pack a punch!

by Anonymousreply 4907/07/2013

[quote]Any passengers who attempt to bring their carry-on luggage with them should be forced to return to their seats, and seriously THINK about what they have done.

That's a great plan of action for enforcing responsibility on a burning plane.

by Anonymousreply 5007/07/2013

If this plane was on the way to Michfest you can be sure there would have been none of this "let me grab my bag nonsense"...well, except for the CPAP machine. And my vagina cape. And my breastcasting tools. Oh, and my Ben n Jerry's ice cream. Oh man...

by Anonymousreply 5107/07/2013

[quote]Have you guys ever tried taking the bus through San Francisco's Chinatown?

I most certainly have not. What the fuck is it with you people and public transport?

Get. A. Job.

by Anonymousreply 5207/07/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5307/07/2013

Interesting article:

by Anonymousreply 5407/07/2013

I used to take my cat on flights with me, too, r41. I hope the DL mob would not kill me if I had to take my "carry on" with me down the emergency slide.

by Anonymousreply 5507/07/2013

My friend used to take his dog in 1st class when flying. The dog had his own credit card, in case of flight changes and cancellations, for insurance reasons. Sometimes the dog flew solo, with his own seat, of course, and his elderly Mom would pick him up in New York. He was a doctor and didn't like vet care in Vegas; that was the reason for the dog's NY trips.

Some people have too much money.

by Anonymousreply 5607/07/2013

We never fly commercial when taking the dog. Too many things can go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5707/07/2013

Hey, if you can grab your shit, then grab it!

by Anonymousreply 5807/07/2013

Asiana Airlines. You've seen us drive. Now watch us fly!

by Anonymousreply 6007/07/2013

{R43} You can figure out that it was OBVIOUSLY a typo right? Grammar queen.

by Anonymousreply 6107/07/2013

I always have a small bag I can sling around my neck and close to my chest - it has the basics I need in case luggage gets lost or whatever - money, cards, change of clothes, I guess meds if I took any, haven't used it yet with my iPad but it guess would fit, panties, sneakers or other easy to pack footwear, glasses or contacts, phone gear, etc.

Because it's around my neck I can use both hands during an exit. I always wear hard shoes when traveling in case of emergency (walking through glass or fire or needing to smash through things) though I switch off in flight to something more comfortable.

On a plane I always hand carry with me in my small tote a change of clothes that can be worn anywhere - I'm female so I carry skimpy "wherever" slacks, jacket & top, very light weight and can be folded up small and can be worn for business or informal in a pinch - I'd even look decent at a morning after plane crash press conference. It's not a beautiful pant suit outfit but would do in an emergency until I could get something else.

In other words keep a very small bag for your very essential items that can be easily worn on your person. And wear it during take offs and landings.

I must be some kind of disaster anticipator - despite the fact that planes can be cold I stopped wearing pantyhose on flights decades ago when I read that the hose fused to some woman's legs during a crash. Best to wear natural fabrics. I am always thinking I will crash and I am some nerd when it comes to seeing where the exits are and counting the seat backs between me and the exits, etc.

Maybe I should just stay home. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 6207/07/2013

I just love that 100 people had to go down each slide before the plane when up in flames, and some of the queens on this site insist that if they were on that flight, they damn well would have gotten their carry on luggage to take with them. Douchebaggery beyond belief coming from queens who complain about frau strollers blocking their way in a supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 6407/07/2013

I was thinking about what I would do in a similar situation. I decided that, from now on, I'm going to wear cargo pants with lots of pockets when I fly. I'm going to scale down to carrying all essentials in my pockets. I'll have a small bag for snacks and things I can lose at no cost to me. I'll get an ipad mini, it will fit in a cargo pocket.

by Anonymousreply 6507/07/2013

Nobody went down any slides. The landing gear was sheared off so the plane sat on the ground and they simply jumped out.

by Anonymousreply 6607/08/2013

[quote]Asiana Airlines. You've seen us drive. Now watch us fly!

The worst drivers are men in big trucks. Aggressive as hell. Never hesitate to cut you off even if there's no car in front or behind you.

by Anonymousreply 6707/08/2013

[quote]We never fly commercial when taking the dog. Too many things can go wrong.

You have to fly commercial otherwise?

That sucks.

by Anonymousreply 6807/08/2013

R62,

You sound like my dream girlfriend...

by Anonymousreply 6907/08/2013

I was going to say something Talulah from Lifeboat,but I think if my fellow passengers and I were standing in the aisles WAITING to evacuate,I WOULD take my LV (not sorry I love it!) duffel.

by Anonymousreply 7007/08/2013

{r66} not true, some jumped off before slides were inflated.

by Anonymousreply 7107/08/2013

I demand that r62 become our Survival Leader on DL. I'm sitting next to her at all times now.

by Anonymousreply 7207/08/2013

Following orders is only for lame people. How about you self-less goody-two-shoes volunteer to go last off the plane?

by Anonymousreply 7307/08/2013

Marry me, R62. Lets walk those emergency exit aisles together.

by Anonymousreply 7407/08/2013

Wasn't there something in AIRPORT '75 where Gloria Swanson wanted to take her jewels down the inflatable slide and she was told no?

by Anonymousreply 7507/08/2013

R68, yes, for long hauls it is easier to fly first than having to do refueling stops. The time, inconvenience, and risk in some areas isn't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 7607/08/2013

If YOU had every one of your caftans on Earth in your carryon, you'd grab it too.

by Anonymousreply 7707/08/2013

Me think was kitchen make the smoky rice.

by Anonymousreply 7807/08/2013

[quote]If my plane crash lands an I am able to grab my carry-on while exiting the plane, you can bet I'm sure as fuck going to do it.

If that is your priority then you'll probably end up killing yourself and others.

[quote]A lot of assholes ignore the pre-flight safety brief, but passengers are ALWAYS reminded to leave their carry on items when using the emergency exits.

I couldn't agree more.

[quote]What if they had their daily medications in those bags? Sorry, but I'm not leaving thousands of dollars worth of medications behind.

So death is more important than saving some meds.

[quote]It is not as if airlines have ever treated people or their possessions as anything other than liabilities. If you can grab your stuff on your way out without preventing anyone else's chances of escape, then you may as well grab them. God knows the airlines will not attempt to reunite you with your things.

What makes you think you would be able to properly assess the dangers?

This thread seems to be infested with the brain-dead.

by Anonymousreply 7907/08/2013

I would wait and be the last one to leave the plane, and I would take everyone ELSE's bag. Can you imagine the cash you'd have then!! Party on, Garth!

by Anonymousreply 8007/08/2013

i can't believe this ridiculous thread was started and maintained by a single queen steward. you're not a platoon commander, get over yourself

by Anonymousreply 8107/08/2013

[quote]You can figure out that it was OBVIOUSLY a typo right? Grammar queen.

Even mere typos are unacceptable in a sentence where you call other people idiots. That is a situation where you must use correct spelling and grammar or you will deserve the mocking you receive.

by Anonymousreply 8207/08/2013

You safety zealots sure seem fond of name calling complete strangers. It's quite rude. Grow up, will you.

by Anonymousreply 8307/08/2013

R83, don't let them get to you. They are confusing riding public transport with flying.

by Anonymousreply 8407/08/2013

R8 is Collete Reardon.

The fighting in this thread is hilarious, btw.

by Anonymousreply 8507/08/2013

No, I can relate to it.

My house keys, my car keys, my passport, my laptop.

The hassle of trying to replace those things.

Likewise, your possessions give you sense of security when you're in the wilderness, whatever that may mean.

by Anonymousreply 8607/08/2013

I carry everything I would need in an emergency in a strapped bag, about the size of a smallish purse.

I'm surprised at how many photos show passengers with wheeled luggage.

by Anonymousreply 8807/08/2013

I'm not trying to be funny but in the eighth row of photos is that lady in pink poop-squatting in the open air?

by Anonymousreply 8907/08/2013

So no one likes my idea of wearing cargo pants? No one? Hmm?

by Anonymousreply 9007/08/2013

R65,

I prefer a travel jacket.

by Anonymousreply 9107/08/2013

In looking at the photos of the airplane interiors, it seems that everyone's carry-on was already in their lap or nearby by the time the plane came to a rest.

by Anonymousreply 9307/08/2013

We would all grab our backpacks if we could. Lets be honest here. I always sit in an aisle and near an emergency exit. Fuck everyone else on the plane, my family and me first.

by Anonymousreply 9507/08/2013

{r95} no I wouldn't. I just fucking crashed landed. The plane is in a shambles and on fire. I'm not going to take the time to go to the overhead compartment and get my back pack who's zipper might tear the slide. You are an asshole. Wow humanity really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 9607/09/2013

R96, some of the passengers said the overhead compartments had come open in the crash and luggage had flown out and was in the aisle. If you saw your carry-on lying there, I could see taking it with you.

by Anonymousreply 9707/09/2013

I'd def take all of my products and medications. As if I'm leaving my antibiotics, probiotics, pain pills, etc behind.

by Anonymousreply 9807/09/2013

{r96} don't you get it...this stuff can rip the slides. Watch this new video of the slides deploying and people running for their lives. You can clearly see the plane is way on it's way to being engulfed in flames. It's truly frightening. Please do us a facor and leave your stuff behind. luggage will rip a slide.

by Anonymousreply 9907/09/2013

One of the first responders said that after all the passengers came down the slides they went in to rescue the trapped passengers. They literally had JUST enough time as the smoke was filling the cabin to get these people (who were trapped) out. Still you selfish queens insist you would block the freaking aisles with unnecessary baggage. OMFG.

by Anonymousreply 10007/09/2013

R99, I think you're making a big assumption that most people are able to think coherently or rationally in an emergency.

When I was a child, the home of close family friends caught fire. The father ran back into the inferno, past those who tried to stop him. He kept saying there was something he had to get. He came out with the toaster. Afterward he had no idea why.

Unfortunately, I don't think his experience is all that uncommon.

Just imagine you're in an aircraft that has crash-landed. People all around you are screaming from fear and pain. Oxygen masks are hanging from the ceiling and debris, trash, luggage and personal belongings are strewn all over the place. The plane is rapidly filling with smoke, and finally the emergency slides are deployed.

I'm sure you believe that in those moments you're going to pause to think about whether the slides will be damaged if you wear your shoes or bring your luggage.

Fuck no, you're going to get the hell out of there as fast as you can and you're not going to give even a moment's thought to safety. Maybe when you get out and you're standing on the ground you'll realize you brought the toaster.

by Anonymousreply 10107/09/2013

Wow. Click R3 and watch this thread light up.

The rage of this poster -- calling people assholes who have destroyed his faith in humanity -- is a model of insanity.

No one was killed by anyone taking their carry on. And commenters asking for undertstanding hurt no one.

Get help, R3...

by Anonymousreply 10207/09/2013

I'd imagine the baggage was everywhere after the crash so if anything people grabbing their shit was actually helpful to moving things along.

by Anonymousreply 10307/09/2013

Maybe they needed their lucky vibrator. It's a bitch breaking in a new one.

by Anonymousreply 10407/09/2013

R94, on an Asian carrier you are far less likely to be seated next to someone whose girth spills over into your seat.

by Anonymousreply 10507/09/2013

Thank you, R101. I really enjoyed the toaster story.

by Anonymousreply 10707/09/2013

{102} You are wrong. In this case they got everyone out. But we know it takes longer to evacuate when people grab their luggage. (more shit in the way blocking the aisles). The first responders went in after everyone slide down the slides to rescue the trapped passengers. Now if the fire was faster, lives may have been lost. I stand by my statement. Maybe you should get help for your selfishness.

by Anonymousreply 10807/10/2013

Miss Swanson tried to bring her makeup case holding her biography down the slide but likely Bette my treasured colleague grabbed it from her.

by Anonymousreply 10907/10/2013

Wow, R106, a dental floss blindfold joke in 2013? How progressive of you? Did you escape from the Big Brother house?

by Anonymousreply 11007/10/2013

F&F R92 for advocating genocide.

by Anonymousreply 11107/10/2013

I just wonder if many of you if you were on the plane, and saw a fellow passenger in front of you (after you crashed landed and the plane is about to be engulfed in flames) reach up to get his carry on luggage and block the aisle, (a la frau with stroller) if you agree that it's ok to grab your wheeled carry ons. I think not.

by Anonymousreply 11207/10/2013

r112, can you please SHUT UP about the frau and her stroller at the grocery store? My god, woman.

by Anonymousreply 11307/10/2013

What's the matter? Don't like being called out on your hypocrisy?

by Anonymousreply 11407/10/2013

OP is very into rules, I've noticed.

by Anonymousreply 11507/10/2013

R107, I gave up on Sam Shepard as a pretentious drunk POS years ago so I didn't know about True West. I just read a synopsis and it sounds like it could be funny. Then again, it's Sam Shepard so he'd ruin it.

R112, how many times do you need to be told the overheads popped open on impact? The luggage from the overheads was already strewn about in the aisles.

by Anonymousreply 11607/10/2013

If I had to get out of a crashed plane and some asshole was blocking the isle while getting his carry on, I would pounce on him like a cheetah on an antelope

by Anonymousreply 11707/10/2013

[quote]I would pounce on him like a cheetah on an antelope

And after you cum and pull back up your pants you give him your number with a plea to get together for drinks later before you jump out the emergency exit.

by Anonymousreply 11807/10/2013

OP here. HA I'm not the only one. I feel validated!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11907/11/2013

OP here...make that vindicated!!!

by Anonymousreply 12007/11/2013

The CNN article at the link says we should be sure to stop and read the safety manual before we leave a burning plane.

Thanks, but no.

by Anonymousreply 12107/11/2013

R107, obviously it was a magic toaster. They were popular in the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 12207/11/2013

r108 et al you are so unbalanced over this you can't even reason.

You said I'm "wrong" and then admit in your next sentence that no one was hurt "in this case." That's what I said -- no one was hurt in this case which is why your obsession and rage with this is disturbing, not to mention attacking everyone else as selfish assholes.

I didn't say I'd take my carry-on. People here are saying calm down and try to be understanding in this case.

You're too mentally out if it to see it.

by Anonymousreply 12307/11/2013

R123 is dead on.

And the CNN article makes YOU look like one of the unbalanced "netizens", quoting "Olivia Yi" who sounds a lot like OP.

OP, if you're not "Olivia Yi", you two should form an angry netizen club.

You need to let this go. How many times have you posted on this issue ... oh, wait, let's light up the trolling and count. Nope, too many to count...

by Anonymousreply 12407/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.