Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who the fuck would throw a dinner party and serve pasta carbonara? Are you fucking kidding me? That's a late night snack, not something you make and then serve to guests at your home.

I'm thoroughly embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 10607/29/2013

Really? I never knew that!

I'm assuming that they served a decent sized portion, not a "nouvelle" tablespoon per plate.

by Anonymousreply 107/06/2013

Why the fuck not?

by Anonymousreply 207/06/2013

You're easily embarrassed, OP.

by Anonymousreply 307/06/2013

OP sounds fat.

by Anonymousreply 407/06/2013

Lighten up, Francis.

by Anonymousreply 507/06/2013

We give a fuck

by Anonymousreply 607/06/2013

A delicious elegant meal that I serve all the time.

by Anonymousreply 707/06/2013

I thought Carbonara was a song from the opera "Carmen."

by Anonymousreply 807/06/2013

A "late night snack"? Who the fuck eats a 3,000 calorie meal of pasta, eggs, cheese and pancetta as a "late night snack"?

OP, just how fat ARE you?!?

by Anonymousreply 907/06/2013

FUck yourself, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1007/06/2013

I love carbonara! I'll have your plate.

by Anonymousreply 1107/06/2013

OP, first of all carbonara is a perfectly fine course for dinner.

Second, it is a horrible late night snack.

So you are two for two

by Anonymousreply 1207/06/2013

About once a year that's my favorite meal. You're crazy, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1307/06/2013

Who are you to say what people should serve for dinner!?

by Anonymousreply 1407/06/2013

You must be related to the tacky cheap bridal cunts.

by Anonymousreply 1507/06/2013

OP snacking...

by Anonymousreply 1607/06/2013

How did OP ever get it into his head that carbonara is a late night snack?

His indignation about being served a perfectly good pasta dinner is kind of astonishing.

I hope it was good carbonara. I periodically get a craving for it and most restaurants don't do it justice.

by Anonymousreply 1707/06/2013

I love any kind of pasta dish, and would be perfectly happy with carbonara at a dinner party.

And no, I'm not fat.

by Anonymousreply 1807/06/2013

[quote]His indignation about being served a perfectly good pasta...

I first read this as "his indigestion."

by Anonymousreply 1907/06/2013

This thread is really going my way!

by Anonymousreply 2007/06/2013

[quote]And no, I'm not fat.

Well, not feasting on pasta carbonara as your regular "late night snack" is probably a help in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 2107/06/2013

OP's idea of a late night snack is a row of Oreos.

by Anonymousreply 2207/06/2013

[quote]A delicious elegant meal that I serve all the time.

Love this. Like something from My Way Of Life. I got conned into making this at a New Year's Eve party where the host decided it would make a fabulous late meal for his guests. The guy who was supposed to cook it got sick and was sequestered somewhere upstairs, where he croaked out the recipe to me on his sick bed. I am not noted for my cooking skills, and the thought of raw eggs made me uneasy. But not only did it stay down, people came back for seconds! And actually, with the snow coming down outside, up in the country, it did turn out kind of elegant.

by Anonymousreply 2307/06/2013

[quote] I got conned into making this at a New Year's Eve party where the host decided it would make a fabulous late meal for his guests.

Obviously, he had heard it makes a delicious late night snack!

by Anonymousreply 2407/06/2013

It's not as embarrassing as the horror of serving pasta with chicken.

by Anonymousreply 2507/06/2013

Yes, it is a shame what the fat people of the US must endure.

by Anonymousreply 2607/06/2013

I'll have two chicken breasts please. I couldn't possibly eat spaghetti; do I look Italian?

by Anonymousreply 2707/06/2013

Speaking of breasts, can we go back to talking about Janet Jackson's tits?

by Anonymousreply 2807/06/2013

You people actually think that serving bacon bits and spaghetti in white sauce is an acceptable dish to serve to your guests for a dinner party?

why not serve dog food?

by Anonymousreply 2907/06/2013

Will I took two cans of tuna and ran them through the meat grinder and then added clam juice and peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 3007/06/2013

I thought the responsibilities of a good guest were to arrive promptly, bring a bottle of wine or flowers, offer help if needed, listen to and converse with other guests, compliment the meal and know the appropriate time to depart. A call the next day to let the host know that the invitation was appreciated and a nice evening was enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 3107/07/2013

It's getting far too easy to troll around here.

by Anonymousreply 3207/07/2013

[quote]You people actually think that serving bacon bits and spaghetti in white sauce is an acceptable dish to serve to your guests for a dinner party?

Of course not! It should be saved for a delicious late night snack!

by Anonymousreply 3307/07/2013

It is perfectly fine to serve pasta carbonara as a dinner course.

It seems that OP has read an Italian cookbook that states Carbonara is a "midnight" pasta, which it is, but not solely.

"Midnight" pastas are ones that are made with a quick sauce that are done by the time the pasta is cooked. Aglio e olio, cacio e pepe, garlic and anchovies, etc. are some of the better known ones.

OP, don't be so literal.

by Anonymousreply 3407/07/2013

OP needs to be rolled in butter, breaded and fried.

by Anonymousreply 3507/07/2013

r35 you're making me hungry!

by Anonymousreply 3607/07/2013

These people are monsters.

by Anonymousreply 3707/07/2013

Shut up, OP. You are wasting our valuable time.

by Anonymousreply 3807/07/2013

It is up to each of us to reduce our carbonara footprint.

by Anonymousreply 3907/07/2013

You thought that we were serving you pasta carbonara, but it was really ronzoni topped with purina cat chow.

by Anonymousreply 4007/07/2013

That sounds so perfunctory, R31, why do you even bother?

by Anonymousreply 4107/07/2013

As if the OP has ever been invited to a dinner party in real life

by Anonymousreply 4207/07/2013

R41, it sounds normal to me

by Anonymousreply 4307/07/2013

OP- please give us an example of what you consider to be an appropriate dish to serve at a dinner party.

by Anonymousreply 4407/07/2013

They didn't even serve cooked not event toast!

by Anonymousreply 4507/07/2013

I've never had toast with pasta before? Not even TEXAS toast! Bread with pasta seems more a spaghetti thing than carbonara, no?

by Anonymousreply 4607/07/2013

Toast made me think of "shit on a shingle" - creamed chipped beef served on toast.

by Anonymousreply 4707/07/2013

I don't generally like a pasta dish as the main course and although I would not make that choice myself to serve to guests, I wouldn't complain about anything I was served to a host. I would probably talk about it later, and since that's all you're doing op I don't know why so many people have a stick up their asses about it. I would agree its more of a late night supper, however I think you could do a upscale preparation of the dish to raise it to entree status, but I do agree with you that it would seem they didn't go through so much trouble.

by Anonymousreply 4807/07/2013

Serving Carbonara for a meal is acceptable, but very, very middle class.

by Anonymousreply 4907/07/2013

If any of you out there ever decide to off yourselves by super-clogging your cardiac arteries, ask me for MY recipe for Carbonara. I don't make it often, because it's a real killer, but oh baby, while you're eatin' it, there ain't nuthin' better. The house smells like bacon and garlic for days, but it's worth it. The next time bacon's on sale, I'm seriously considering stirring up another pot of it. I've never had anyone else's version of it that compares to mine.Haven't met anyone yet that didn't smack their lips over it, and ask for seconds. That's one of the odd things about Carbonara, each recipe is so amazingly different. Some are so bland, that I wonder why they even make it? Others leave out garlic, or hardly use any black pepper at all, which is the REAL reason for the name of the dish. btw, lemon water-ice/sorbet makes a great dessert after one or two helpings of this food of the gods. Try it, you'll LIKE it!

by Anonymousreply 5007/07/2013

I love a good dinner of salad and carbonara.

by Anonymousreply 5107/07/2013

So many poseurs. Led by the trolling OP. I'll pose, too - with some facts.

Carbonara isn't a traditional Italian dish in its current form, but a post-war recipe stimulated both by American troops and the plentiful eggs and bacon that arrived around Rome with them. Italians did not know the dish before the war.

Naturally it isn't a dish one would prepare for a formal dinner party - it is a vernacular dish, which does not fit within a proper formal menu.

But the OP, we're sure, doesn't know a formal dinner party from a dog fight. Referring to a "late night snack" is the tip.

For a friendly, fun, at-home "dinner party," using ingredients of appropriate quality (pancetta can be nice if you don't want the smokiness, fresh peas as a garnish at the can brighten things, good cheeses, naturally, lift it), and structuring the menu's other courses around it, it can make for a memorable meal.

Do you want to know how and why, OP? Because it would be a dish one would serve to close friends and family. But you don't want that, do you?

by Anonymousreply 5207/07/2013

Thanks. Now this is on my mind. Must make tomorrow para dinner.

by Anonymousreply 5307/07/2013

Id like to see your recipe R50.

by Anonymousreply 5407/07/2013

I **LOVE** a good fettuccine carbonara.

Egg, cream, cheese, onion, bacon and cheese. I also like peas in mine.

What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 5507/07/2013

Me too R50. Please post your recipe.

by Anonymousreply 5607/07/2013

Chop up one lb of bacon, fry slowly til not quite crisp, removing excess fat as it accumulates, so it browns faster(save fat for later) Remove bacon. Into the skillet goes one minced medium yellow onion(about a cup).If there's not enough melted bacon fat in the skillet to saute the onion, add some now. Saute until translucent. Toss in one head of garlic(yes, one HEAD), minced.Ya' gotta use the fresh garlic, no cheatin' with the jarred stuff. And LOTS of fresh-ground black pepper(about 50 grinds on my peppermill, approximately 2 tsps. A coarse texture, if you can, since this is how the dish got its name) Fry for about a minute, until fragrant. Toss the cookedbacon in,cover, keep everything warm. Have ready:6 large eggs, beaten with 1/2cup sour cream and 1/4 cup of milk. 2 cups shredded cheeses(sharp orange cheddar and Gruyere or Swiss is my choice). 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Pecorino cheese. Boil 1lb of a short pasta: rigatoni; rotini; penne or something comparable.If you can have the pasta ready at about the time the bacon mixture is done, you'll save yourself some kitchen time. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta, not TOO dry though. Return it to the cooking pot. Add the bacon mixture, stir until even distributed with a rubber spatula. Next the eggs, stir well, you need the heat of the pasta and bacon to cook and set the eggs. Finally the cheeses. Stir well. Taste for salt. If the mixture seems too "tight" add some cooking water. If the mouthfeel seems a bit "thin", add some of the reserved bacon fat.It should look very creamy, with some pooling of the sauce(which will tighten up as it cools) If you MUST, a scattering of chopped parsley makes it look pretty. Serve immediately. Mangia bene!!! Like I said, it's a heart-stopper, but we all need a treat now and then. Leftovers are great, if you manage to have any. Even ice-cold from the fridge, it's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 5707/07/2013

One thing I love about Datalounge are all the prissy gay men on here who have bizarre iron-clad rules about the most mundane and inconsequential things.

by Anonymousreply 5807/07/2013

[quote]t is a vernacular dish, which does not fit within a proper formal menu.

by Anonymousreply 5907/07/2013

So OP, are you fatter than those tubbies on "America's Biggest Losers"?

by Anonymousreply 6007/07/2013

Isn't this just spaghetti and sauce? What is the carbonara bit?

by Anonymousreply 6107/07/2013

Carbonara is an Italian pasta dish from Latium, and more specifically to Rome, based on eggs, cheese (Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano), bacon (guanciale or pancetta), and black pepper. Spaghetti is usually used as the pasta, however, fettuccine, rigatoni, or bucatini can also be used. The dish was created in the middle of the 20th century.

The pork is cooked in fat, which may be olive oil, lard, or less frequently butter. The hot pasta is combined with a mixture of raw eggs, cheese, and a fat (butter, olive oil, or cream) away from additional direct heat to avoid coagulating the egg, either in the pasta pot or in a serving dish. The eggs should create a creamy sauce, and not curdle. Guanciale is the most commonly used meat, but pancetta and local bacon are also used. Versions of this recipe may differ in how the egg is added: some people use the whole egg, while other people use only the yolk; intermediate versions with some whole eggs and some yolk are also possible.

Cream is not common in Italian recipes, but is often used elsewhere. Garlic is similarly found mostly outside Italy.

by Anonymousreply 6207/07/2013

Thanks for the recipe, quiltguy.

by Anonymousreply 6307/07/2013

No doubt, OP, you shared other condescending opinions while shoveling down their food. So, don't worry, you won't get invited back to any meal there, high class or not.

by Anonymousreply 6407/07/2013

My idea of a midnight snack is some delicious air topped with an imported vapor.

by Anonymousreply 6607/07/2013

[quote]6'2" 140# = DATALOUNGE IDEAL

So the Datalounge Ideal is obesity?

by Anonymousreply 6707/07/2013

1. OP,is trolling loser who got exactly what he wanted when he started the thread.

2. OP,? Are you ever NOT drunk.

by Anonymousreply 6807/07/2013

"Shut up, OP. You are wasting our valuable time."

You mean our valuable delicious midnight snack time. Now get me that Pasta Carbonara and pronto!

by Anonymousreply 6907/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 7007/07/2013

reply to 61: The "Carbonara" part of the name refers to the copious amount of black pepper used. Carbonara means in the style of coal(miner?) Seeing all those little black flecks of pepper is supposed to remind you of lumps of coal. reply to 63: You are most welcome. If you DO make it, I'd love to get your review.

by Anonymousreply 7107/08/2013

quiltguy, I've always made carbonara with pancetta. Is bacon better?

by Anonymousreply 7207/08/2013

reply to 72: Tried pancetta twice, not enough OOMPH! for me. Don't worry about the smoky aspect of bacon, some of it will be masked by the sauce. It adds another layer of flavor. It's worth trying, IMHO. btw, I used to make this dish for parties, and it was always well-received. Never made less than a double recipe. Once I quadrupled the recipe, and everyone went home with a doggybag. Smiling.

by Anonymousreply 7307/08/2013

Okay, quiltguy, I'm going to try it with bacon but it probably won't happen until Friday when friends are coming for dinner.

I've got this thread saved to my threadwatcher so I'll let you know how it turns out.

by Anonymousreply 7407/08/2013

I don't like parties.

Perhaps Pasta Carbonara is a way of getting rid of people, like OP, faster.

Eat. Drink. Leave.

by Anonymousreply 7507/08/2013

Isn't that the dish Tony Shaloub made for the big dinner that Louie Prima never arrived for in "The Big Night"?

by Anonymousreply 7607/08/2013

quiltguy are you Italian?

by Anonymousreply 7707/08/2013

Mezza mezza.

by Anonymousreply 7807/09/2013

How many is that for Quiltguy?

by Anonymousreply 7907/09/2013

Since most Dataloungers imagine themselves as Edwardian aristocrats, the dislike of carbonara is no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 8007/09/2013

I hate the thoughts even

by Anonymousreply 8107/09/2013

huh?? Sour cream and gruyere cheese has NO business in carbonara. It sounds like another dish entirely. Not BAD, just NOT Carbonara.

Carbonara is garlic, pancetta (or bacon whatever you prefer), egg, black pepper, grated pecorino or parmiggiano.

by Anonymousreply 8207/09/2013

I can't be bothered to read the thread, and I'm sure it's been said many times before, but who the hell "snacks" on carbonara?

by Anonymousreply 8307/09/2013

I simply must have the OP over to enjoy one of my candlelight suppers. He'd certainly appreciate my Royal Doulton with handpainted periwinkles!

by Anonymousreply 8407/09/2013

R57, you made a Garlic Bacon Mac and Cheese not Carbonara.

Italians in Italy argue about the ingredients but one thing is for sure, no cream, no cheddar, Gruyere or Swiss cheese, those are not even Italian. No bacon, its smoked, they use panchetta which is unsmoked bacon. And no self respecting Italian would use a head of garlic. In spite what you THINK is Italian, in Italy they use garlic very sparingly.

This it typical American fair. Always take a simple dish, load it up with fat and carbs then claim its Italian. This is why we are fatter country then Italy or think Italian food is not good for you.

by Anonymousreply 8507/09/2013

[quote]Carbonara is garlic, pancetta (or bacon whatever you prefer), egg, black pepper, grated pecorino or parmiggiano.

Garlic is not necessary. Most actual Italian pasta dishes do not use it; I've never had carbonara with garlic in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 8607/09/2013

[quote]This it typical American fair.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 8707/09/2013

Truth: what R85 said.

Cheddar and gruyere in Carbonara? We think not. And an entire head of garlic? We laugh our asses off.

by Anonymousreply 8807/09/2013

R89, who are you again? And who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 8907/09/2013

I just made some for lunch. Homemade pancetta (really, I cured it myself), eggs, parmesan, romano, lots of freshly ground black pepper and a little pasta water. Delicious.

I think part of the problem is that Americans expect a "sauce", like red sauce with their pasta. Carbonara should just coat the pasta, like aglio ed olio.

The only reason anyone should ever put cream in it would be to help prevent the egg from curdling and no more than a teaspoon per egg. But if you do it right, you don't need it.

by Anonymousreply 9107/09/2013

What R92 said.

On a related note, there is no such thing as Chicken Alfredo in a Cream Sauce.

Alfredo's is a real place in Rome Italy where the dish was invented. Its still there and all it is, butter and parmigiano tossed with an egg and fettuccine.

Again, another American bastardization of Italian food. Making you fatter the American way.

by Anonymousreply 9207/09/2013

[quote] It sounds like another dish entirely. Not BAD, just NOT Carbonara.

Actually, it's not carbonara AND it sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 9307/09/2013

Chill the fuck out, r93: there's no such thing as cream in an ORIGINAL alfredo.

To say there's no such thing as it altogether in insane: people change and alter recipes all the time from country and country and from taste to taste. An alfredo sauce done with cream can be delicious, even if it's not authentic Italian fare.

by Anonymousreply 9407/09/2013

The Alfredo sauce recipe on the box of Ronzoni fettucini is better than the glop served up at most American Italian restaurants. I don't think most Americans think it or Ronzoni is "authentic Italian" from Italy. It tastes good and is simple to make.

by Anonymousreply 9507/09/2013

Chill out guys. There's dozens of Carbonara recipes floating around, I never said mine was authentic(whatever that means?) May not be your idea of what it should be, but it doesn't make it any less tasty. I like it, my friends like it. Isn't that the whole point of cooking for a crowd?

by Anonymousreply 9607/09/2013

Sorry R95, Italians take their food seriously. Ever hear of D.O.P. (Denominazione d' Origine Protetta)?

I find it weird how we Americans take extreme liberties to make anything up with tomatoes and garlic and call it Italian, yet the same people will correct you at a dinner part to use the phrase "Sparkling Wine" instead of Champagne because its not from the exact region in France.

So call it what it is, Chicken with Mornay sauce (cheese sauce). Its French. Sorry, not invented here either.

by Anonymousreply 9707/09/2013

It sounds delish any way it's prepared. Do they serve that at the Olive Garden? I'd love to try it.

by Anonymousreply 9807/09/2013

Olive Garden, "where not really Italian, and neither is our food".

by Anonymousreply 9907/09/2013

Neither the original carbonara recipe nor the original alfredo recipe were handed down by the gods of cuisine with strict orders that they be kept immutable forever. In fact, they were made up by people who thought new ingredients together would be delicious. Recipes are altered by cooks constantly: otherwise there would never have been any recipes invented ever.

I agree I would personally not want cream or garlic in my own spaghetti carbonara (and I would especially not want sour cream!); but to insist that no one else can ever like it or that it must remain forever pure (why? to propitiate the gods?) is absolutely ridiculous.

Some of you really need to pull the poles out of your asses. You get too hysterical about your fussy obsessions with purity and authenticity.

by Anonymousreply 10007/09/2013

After this post got carbonara from local take out. I was good but i woke up with stomach cramps at 4 am and had to poop real bad.

by Anonymousreply 10107/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 10307/11/2013

Yummmers. Dahlings

by Anonymousreply 10407/12/2013

r102 Eh, paisano! Grazia tante.

by Anonymousreply 10507/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!