Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Laser treatment for yellow, fungusy toenails

I've had fungus toenails for about 13 years. I addressed the problem with my PCP ten years ago and he wouldn't give me Lamisil because it's bad for your liver. We agreed to try home remedies instead, but nothing has worked. My feets is nasty!

Have any of you zapped your toenail fungus with a laser? How effective was the treatment and was it expensive? Did insurance pay or is this considered cosmetic? If you respond, please note the state in which you live. Thanks!

by beast feetreply 7612/05/2014

This not covered by insurance. There isn't even a code to bill for it.

We have one in our office...yes it is effective...may take more than one treatment.

Ten toes $895.00. Second treatment free.

Only use Pin Pointe Laser....that is the only effective laser.

by beast feetreply 107/06/2013

[quote]he wouldn't give me Lamisil because it's bad for your liver.

I honestly don't understand putting a product like this out on the market when the cure leads something far worse than the problem itself.

by beast feetreply 207/06/2013

You can have the fungus-sy toenails removed and let them grow back fungus-free.

by beast feetreply 307/06/2013

I had it done on one toe that was infected. The first time didn't work so they did it again for free and it still didn't work. I wouldn't rule it out, though. Apparently it's about 70% effective.

by beast feetreply 407/06/2013

Thanks R1.

R3, I have yanked my toenails completely out and they still grew back thick and yellow.

by beast feetreply 507/06/2013

I tried a magnifying glass the other day, will let you know how it goes. It'll take a while...

by beast feetreply 607/06/2013

"You can have the fungus-sy toenails removed"

That sounds like fucking torture.

by beast feetreply 707/06/2013

I've had one toe on each foot with fungus for about 4 years and I hate it. I've tried various creams, vinegar, filing the nails down really low and then adding the creams, I think I tried Lamisil and it didn't work. I thought about putting ammonia on it since that is really strong but it seems too dangerous. I might have to try the laser when I get more money but I don't want to pay $450 per toe.

by beast feetreply 807/06/2013

Anyone tried vinegar?

by beast feetreply 907/06/2013

There really is only one, sure-fire, guaranteed solution and that my friend is called ... amputation.

by beast feetreply 1007/06/2013

Use nail polish. No one will know.

by beast feetreply 1107/06/2013

My doctor prescribed a topical solution of Lamisil. It was worthless. Then I tried regular Lamisil, still nothing. Someone told me that Vicks Vapo-Rub works, but I never tried it. One of my big toenails got a really yellow, thick nail on it and it eventually broke off. The new nail is fungus-free, but I still have a bit on some of the other nails.

by beast feetreply 1207/06/2013

A second for vicks vapor rub. My boyfriend is seeing pretty amamazing results with it.

by beast feetreply 1307/06/2013

My two big toe nails have had fungus infections my entire life. I've had four rounds of the laser treatments and while my condition has mildly improved, in no way would I call myself cured.

In addition to the laser I've tried Formula-3 tolnaftate and econazole nitrate creams, both to no avail.

A friend swears by the econazole nitrate in conjunction with a skin softener.

Good luck!

by beast feetreply 1407/06/2013

I tried vinegar and also Vicks and they seem to lessen the whiteness but never cures it.

by beast feetreply 1507/06/2013

The big toes on each of my feet were thick, yellow, fungusy and gross. My mom kept telling me to use Vicks Vapo Rub, but I thought it was just one of those old wives tales.My doctor put me on Lamisil (this was when it first came out and doctors weren't aware how bad it could be for some people) it worked really well till I got sick and ended up in the hospital. When i got out I started using Vicks and my toe nails eventually started looking good (took about 3 weeks)I kept it up for about a month after my toes looked good and haven't had any trouble since then. If you do use Vicks make sure you use a lot, massage it into the toenail and skin arround it and wear white socks to bed.

by beast feetreply 1607/06/2013

OP, try Tea Tree oil. There are various methods for topical application. There is also Tea Tree soap (Castile soap). You may want to try that in the shower.

RE: Vicks VapoRub

My mother's podiatrist made this recommendation for one troublesome toe. I believe it's the Eucalyptus oil that helps with fungal issues.

Again, the Eucalyptus oil can be purchased separately. I find it much more aromatically pleasant than the nasal-numbing Vicks.

by beast feetreply 1807/06/2013

OP - This isn't meant to be a cunty response. Do you drink a lot??

Lamisil has actually been generic for awhile now. You will need to take it for several months and not drink the entire time. I was on it for at least six months for a different reason. They will do blood tests occasionally to make sure you are not having adverse side effects.

by beast feetreply 1907/06/2013

I have had a fungus-infected big toe for about ten years now. The topical treatment my dermatologist prescribed almost worked, but did not get rid of the fungus around the sides of the nail. I tried Lamisil in pill form and had to get off of it after a few days because the side effects were so awful. (It felt like liver and kidney rebellion.)

I'm willing to give the Vicks a try.

Have any of you tried Zetaclear? Curious to hear if it works or not.

by beast feetreply 2007/06/2013

I took generic Lamasil in pill form for 3 months, liver function tests after 4 weeks, no problem. Nails all clear after about 6 months. (The affected nail has to grow out.) No recurrence.

by beast feetreply 2107/06/2013

Lamisil (oral) was the only thing that cured my onychomycosis - had it on several toes for several years after a vacation overseas, using a gym shower barefoot. Did all the usual - vinegar, vics, bleach, etc. I didn't want to go the lamisil route because of the liver fears previously discussed... in the end I ordered it online because I didn't have insurance and didn't want to pay for the dermatologist, the blood/liver tests, plus the American cost for the meds. I would suggest that, if you have worries about liver problems, make sure to supplement with milk thistle at the same time. Maybe also NAC. One thing, which was a really big deal at the time: I went into a soul-wrenching, agonizing existential depression for about 2-3 days during the first week, where I experienced a kind of intense loneliness that I hadn't felt since I was 15 and my first relationship broke up. It was horrible. (I think the listed side effects call this "malaise."). Eventually I adapted and it went away and now, two years later, still free of fungus. One funny thing: I did a previous course of lamisil back in my early twenties, during which I also had an intense depression which led me to see a therapist for several months. I now think that it was probably the medication, or at least in part. Still, he was an awesome therapist.

by beast feetreply 2207/06/2013

My partner has them. He went through laser treatment, I think three times over a year. They grew back clean, but after about a year, they were back to where they started.

by beast feetreply 2307/06/2013

Vicks covered by a band aid works great.

by beast feetreply 2407/06/2013

I used this a few years back and the two affected nails are still free of fungus. It actually smells good and doesn't rot your liver. It took about 4 months but that's due to toenails growing so slowly.

by beast feetreply 2507/06/2013

See a podiatrist if you want to get Lamisil. He will order a blood test to monitor your liver function. Lamisil is available as a generic now.

by beast feetreply 2607/06/2013

I took Terbinifine for a year a few years back, as that is how long a nail takes to regrow. Any less and the fungus can come back. Once the nail is noticeably yellow or thicker than normal it is too late for OTC topical solutions to work.

My doctor didn't mention liver damage but said if I had a bad reaction to the tablets that there were a couple of other alternatives I could try. I didn't have even the slightest reaction to the pills. A general blood test when I moved town and switched doctors did not indicate any problems anywhere, so I suppose my liver is still functioning ok.

My nails are clear but I can still get the odd mild case of athlete's foot, which clears up on its own.

by beast feetreply 2707/06/2013

Am I just unlucky -- my toenails are curving markedly over the past few years. Anyone else experience this?

They are now impossible to cut using clippers because of the advanced curve -- I have to Dremel them.

Please help!

by beast feetreply 2807/06/2013

Curving nails is an iron deficiency, r28. Nail fungus is caused by immorality and Satan.

by beast feetreply 2907/06/2013

Lotrimin or its generic form, available in any drugstore.

It's always worked for me but my yellowing was not severe.

by beast feetreply 3007/06/2013

by beast feetreply 3207/06/2013

Diflucan is another one you can use, but you have to have your blood monitored.

It takes longer than lamisil though.

I am trying to get a prescription for this but my blood tests did not fall within the acceptable levels.

I may try the Vicks option.

by beast feetreply 3307/06/2013

oh Liz Lemon, Carol never understood your foot condition did he?

by beast feetreply 3407/06/2013

Who was Carol, R34?

by beast feetreply 3507/06/2013

I just read somewhere that taking olive leaf extract helps with the fungus

by beast feetreply 3607/07/2013

I didn't realize how persistent this problem can be for some people. I've known people who've gone the removal route and the prescription route, and both worked for them.

For troublesome cases, wouldn't removal and topical treatments while the new nail is growing out be the way to go, for those concerned about Lamisil? And isn't plenty of circulating air around the feet (removing socks and stockings as much as possible and wearing open-toed or "breathable" shoes a big help?

by beast feetreply 3707/07/2013

Too bad you can't take Lamisil. I had one course, about 15 years ago, and my toenails are pretty.

by beast feetreply 3807/07/2013

The Lamisil generic equivalent costs $4.00 (yes four dollars) at Walmart. I've been on it for two months and showing improvement.

Look it up in the internets.

by beast feetreply 3907/07/2013

Lamisil is toxic

by beast feetreply 4007/07/2013

Have heard soaking your tootsies in full-strength original Listerine works well. Also, oil of wild oregano is a wonderful anti-bacterial and more importantly ANTI-FUNGAL agent. So what if your toes smell like a pizzeria? It's gotta be better than using those organ-destroying pharmaceuticals.

by beast feetreply 4107/07/2013

Hydrogen peroxide.

I apply to each toenail with a cotton ball.

It keeps them clear white and a nice color.

by beast feetreply 4207/07/2013

Onychomycosis is a systemic disease that must be treated systemically. That is you have to go through the body's system - topical treatments cannot get at the root problem.

Lamisil orally taken goes through your bloodstream to reach the nail beds and thus your new nails growing in. The medicine forms a protective barrier between the old infected nail and the newly growing nail.

Toenails take one year to grow out. So for toenail infections you have to take the pills for 3 months. The medicine stays in your bloodstream for 9 months hence giving you 12 months of treatment (9 months after your final pill).

I took Lamisil about 13 years ago when it was fairly new. I believe I saw a dermatologist at my HMO who had to take a clipping of my toenail to ensure it was onychomycosis - I don't know what the hell else it could have been. I also took a blood test to see if I had any liver damage.

When the tests results were in I began my 3 month course of treatment. Within weeks my flaky, dry feet looked and felt like babies' feet. I realized that the onychomycosis was also the cause of my awful dried heels as well. My nails grew out beautifully - by the time I sought treatment I had had a very long history of affected toe nails and had a recent history of finger nail infection due to how I used my nail polish and cleaned my nails.

While your nails are growing back you have to be very careful when trimming them or cleaning them. If you break the barrier (both the natural physical barrier which I think is also the medicinal barrier) then the new nails growing out will get infected and you'll have to start again. My doctor advised me to drop such habits as digging deep to clean nails, cutting nails too short, tapping my nails on surfaces, etc.

I don't know if any other medicine works as well a Lamisil but I'm pretty sure topical treatments can't and I don't even understand how laser treatment works if it can't cure the infection which is the cause of the fungus.

After my treatment it was the first time in my adult life I remember being unembarrassed about my feet. Hear that "take off your shoes in my house" Nazis.

by beast feetreply 4307/07/2013

Tea tree oil, applied twice a day. Give it 4 to 6 weeks.

by beast feetreply 4407/07/2013

Yeah but Tea Tree Oil can also cause breast development in men.

Would you rather have fungus nails or big boobies?

by beast feetreply 4507/07/2013

Go online and order a British product called Curanil.

It's not sold in the US but is OTK in the UK. It's a topically applied antifungal drug that works well.

by beast feetreply 4607/08/2013

I was doing a catered event at a diagnostic center and all the guests were podiatrists. They said two things: One- the laser toe fungus treatment at $900. a shot was a huge easy moneymake, and Two- it doesn't work that well for most people who need multiple treatments.

by beast feetreply 4807/08/2013

What's the difference between Tea Tree Oil and Eucalyptus oil?

by beast feetreply 4907/08/2013

Another vote for Curanil. It doesn't work for everyone--it's better for mild cases--but overall shows "between 60% and 71% effective in treating toenail onychomycosis."

by beast feetreply 5007/08/2013

I saw an ad for an $800 discount on laser treatment for toenails. The full price must be staggering.

by beast feetreply 5107/08/2013

Dios Mio!

by beast feetreply 5207/08/2013

My GF says her toenails have "fun-gross."

by beast feetreply 5307/08/2013

i hear if you stick it up your mate's fudgy bum and repeat twice a day your funky fugly fungus-covered toes will be cured forever.

by beast feetreply 5407/08/2013

[quote]My GF says her toenails have "fun-gross."

Are you in Kentucky or Alabama?

by beast feetreply 5507/09/2013

Try Varisi. It is cheap, effective and non-toxic.

by beast feetreply 5607/09/2013

If you have frequent sinus headaches, you may find they go away after a treatment of Lamisil for other reasons. Mine went away for 10 years after a treatment for nails as the headaches were due to a fungal sinus infection, not a bacterial infection.... if you have sinus headaches where when the sinus ultimately opens and drains leaves your throat and soft palette raw from the drainage, it is probably a fungal infection that ferments the fluids trapped in the sinus and makes in essence a vinegar like acidic drainage... no wonder it is so painful, for that to be trapped under pressure in a sinus cavity.

Lamisil might have some negative side effects, but in my case it had a wonderful positive side effect. Now 10 years later, my old symptoms are back, but I know what to do to treat it... Lamisil.

by beast feetreply 5707/09/2013

Oh well. Another Summer without flip flops. After many years, I'm on my third month of Lamisil and my nails look a little better. Several of them are peeling off easily as they grow out, even on one of my fingers. Maybe I'll look good for my winter vacation.

by beast feetreply 5807/09/2013

My doctor said the cream doesn't work. Lamasil is like 40% effective but the laser surgery is like 80% effective. He said but it costs like $1000 and insurance doesn't cover it. This was in Boston. My left big toe has fungus only. I guess I will just live with it.

by beast feetreply 5907/09/2013

These are the ingredients of the product R25 recommends. The camphor and eucalyptus make me think of Vick's. Another ingredient looks like juniper-something. Anyone know what the rest of these are?

Juglans regia 8x, sepia 8x, mucor mercado 8x, palmarosa 8x, melaleuca alternofolia, camphor, eucalyptus globulus, anise, cinnemonum, mentha piperata, salvia sclerae, juniperus virginum, mystira fragans, lavandula latifolia, terebinthae oleum, vitis vinifera.

by beast feetreply 6007/09/2013

How many times do you have to be told - this is an INFECTION. It has to be treated at its core, its source.

Laser treatment does not, to my knowledge, get rid of the infection. Ergo you will retain the infection in your body and it will continue to cause problems. You cannot treat a systemic infection by applying creams or other gook to it.

Lamisil is highly effective - 70-80% - not 40% as someone above posted. You must take it every day though - they tried a method they called "pulsing" whereby you take it something like every other day - that may save the insurance company money but my dermatologist told me 13 years ago that it was an ineffective method.

by beast feetreply 6107/12/2013

I have heard about the Listerine method before

by beast feetreply 6207/13/2013

Vicks, yo

by beast feetreply 6307/18/2013

If toenails grew as fast as fingernails, the needed treatment for this stuff wouldn't last as long.

by beast feetreply 6407/19/2013

Just saw a Jublia commercial for new treatment. Anyone tried this or the other new one?

by beast feetreply 6512/04/2014

Here in North Korea, we will remove all of your toenails free of charge. That way, you won't have to worry about them.

by beast feetreply 6612/04/2014

When going out in flip flops or to the beach, just use the new Lee's press-on toe nails to conceal your horrible condition.

by beast feetreply 6712/04/2014

Vicks all the way. You have to slather it on and put on a pair of white footies before bed. Repeat every so often. This thread makes me nauseated. How someone could let it go so far without treatment is just--

You can't possibly be gay.

by beast feetreply 6812/04/2014

r60- melaleuca alternofolia- tea tree

mucor mercado- microbial derived from mold

palmarosa- geranium oil

Juglans regia- walnut

lavandula latifolia-lavender

mentha piperata- peppermint

salvia sclerae- clary sage

Terebinthinae oleum- Turpentine Oil

vitis vinifera- common grape (oil?)

And yes, it is Juniper

by beast feetreply 6912/04/2014

A plutonium dip works wonders I hear.

by beast feetreply 7012/04/2014

I have been scrubbing the nails with Hibiclens, which seems to help

by beast feetreply 7112/04/2014

R68 is full of shit, Vicks does nothing at all.

by beast feetreply 7212/05/2014

Another inquiry about Jublia. Anyone using it?

by beast feetreply 7312/05/2014

This is gross.

by beast feetreply 7412/05/2014

R72 obviously let it go too long. Vick's may not work if they're already calcified and falling off.

by beast feetreply 7512/05/2014

If I suck on OP's toes will it transfer to my mouth and rot my teeths? Asking for a friend.

by beast feetreply 7612/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!