Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why are people so fond of calling Americans stupid?

Hello, it's the country who invented the telephone, internet, why do people say things like:"Americans are so stupid!"*?

*Said by an European (British)

by Anonymousreply 16207/13/2013

In many countries, particularly European countries, people discuss ideas more than we do in the USA. In the USA we are much more likely to discuss people or things than to discuss ideas. This is not to say that German men do not discuss their cars, etc. However, if you listen to conversations outside the USA, you are more likely to hear a conversation about philosophy, ethics, economics, etc. This is not to say the conversations are necessarily more informed. Sometimes, I really feel that I am listen to a bunch of 60 year old men channeling a group of college kids having an all night bull session.

by Anonymousreply 207/04/2013

When you claim that Americans invented the computer, you help to prove the point, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 307/04/2013

No nation has a lock on stupidity, but US-Americans currently seem much more involved in social media and pop culture than anything with more depth. Consider the top movies, best selling books, etc. - mostly low level culture - the equivalent of junk food culture.

There are brilliant minds here, obviously, but overall, our culture is dumbed down and empty.

by Anonymousreply 407/04/2013

Didn't need to repeat "culture' four times to make my point, did I? Have got to learn to edit before I hit "Save Post."

by Anonymousreply 607/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 707/04/2013

It seems to be trendy to do so more than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 807/04/2013

Newsflash: the telephone was invented by a Scotsman.

by Anonymousreply 907/04/2013

Anti-intellectualism and anti-education forces have huge influence, supported by followers of the Jesus cult. What other developed nation would have serious public policy debate on whether evolutionary biology can be taught in schools due to religious objections.

by Anonymousreply 1107/04/2013

{9} not necessarily douchebag. People hate Americans and some of it stems from how great we have it here. I've travelled all over and American IS a great country.

by Anonymousreply 1207/04/2013

{9} not necessarily douchebag. People hate Americans and some of it stems from how great we have it here. I've travelled all over and American IS a great country.

Forgot link.

by Anonymousreply 1307/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 1407/04/2013

[quote]No nation has a lock on stupidity

Unfortunately, we're right in the top ten. Look at the stupid Rethuglicans and disgusting Fundies who gave us eight years of Dubya and supported the invasion of Iraq. The same morons gave us a Pubbie led House of Representatives and will soon do the same with the Senate.

For at least two decades, our universities have been graduating people who can't even write proper English. Sadly, those graduates are now teaching in our schools. R5 is a product of those schools.

by Anonymousreply 1507/04/2013

All this war?

by Anonymousreply 1607/04/2013

Ignorant, stupid...there is a difference. I don't know about other countries but in this country, people are ignorant and seem to be proud of that ignorance, so that attitude means they are stupid. Right?

by Anonymousreply 1807/04/2013

R15 is butthurt because he was exposed as a Republican sympathizer in other threads. Notice how his attack on R5 was untrue and ad hominem. Ignore him.

by Anonymousreply 1907/04/2013

[quote]For at least two decades, our universities have been graduating people who can't even write proper English.

A [italic]writing major[/italic] at a just-below-Ivy university was a neighbor for a couple of years. For a couple of months, I copyedited her assignments before she handed them in because she had such awful grammar and spelling. Ultimately, I had to stop. She had no business being a writing major. She couldn't write. And I told her so.

by Anonymousreply 2007/04/2013

Since I have NEVER defended Andrew Sullivan R5 - R17, it's obvious that you're either a liar or you failed reading comprehension from 4th grade onward (probably both). Whatever it may be, you're a product of the failed education system in the U.S. There is not the slightest doubt that you match the mentality of Rethuglicans and Fundies, and are an example of the topic of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2107/04/2013

That's typical of the university students today, R20. They should not have graduated from high school.

I was called in to troubleshoot a publication that was falling two months behind. One of the "journalists" had never written a story in his year of employment. I discovered that he couldn't even take a phone message. All he could manage was the phone number - no name and no message. I sent him off for testing and his reading skills were at a 5th grade level. The former journalist now works as a cook.

by Anonymousreply 2307/04/2013

Nothing marks a moron more succinctly than his making reference to someone else's "meds." Yes, I'm talking to you, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2407/04/2013

Newsflash: R23 and R24 are the same person.

by Anonymousreply 2607/04/2013

No one in the greater world can look at the Romney compaign and not call Americans stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2707/04/2013

Americans insist on being stupid. We interpret our intellectual freedoms as the freedom to make up shit and believe in it. Look at our wholesale rejection of science. If you choose to believe that the world was created by God six thousand years ago, that's it, you've rejected everything we know about science, so fuck you, you're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2807/04/2013

I have never posted on the "Princess Mathilde" thread, R25. I've never even clicked it open. Not of interest.

R26 is correct, though (Wow! You can click troll-dar).

by Anonymousreply 2907/04/2013

R28 = Paula Deen defender and proud Atheist Bill Maher.

by Anonymousreply 3007/04/2013

[quote]it's the country who invented the telephone

That would appear to be sufficient proof right there.

Country who? The "country" is not a "who" and the "country" didn't invent anything. Alexander Graham Bell, who was Scottish by birth, was granted a patent for the telephone in 1876. He became a U.S. citizen in 1882.

by Anonymousreply 3107/04/2013

Um, I think you've made a big mistake, R29.

Trolldar does not highlight both of those posts.

by Anonymousreply 3207/04/2013

You're right, R32.

R23 was responding to what I wrote in R20. Oops. I'm R20 and R24.

by Anonymousreply 3407/04/2013

They are talking about the typical American. You mention extraordinary people. America is quite good at producing extraordinary people, but the masses are pretty stupid.

by Anonymousreply 3607/04/2013

[quote]Newsflash: the telephone was invented by a Scotsman.

Here in America, it doesn't matter where you were born if you decide to immigrate here. Unfortunately for OP, Alexander Graham Bell emigrated to Canada. But the telephone was invented simultaneously by an American, Elisha Gray, if that helps. Bell beat him to the Patent Office by a matter of hours.

by Anonymousreply 3707/04/2013

^ Bell married an American. He became an American citizen at the age of 35, after he had invented the telephone.

by Anonymousreply 3807/04/2013

The American stupidity factor comes more into play when we keep insisting with that obnoxious "We're Number One," when clearly we are not any longer on many fronts.

Yes, we've accomplished an enormous amount, but so have other countries throughout history, e.g., Great Britian, Germany, Russia, France, etc. Any we're not number one in education, health care, life expectancy.

Other countries have caught up to us on many aspects, some have even surpassed us. And finally, the adoration of celebrity has made everyone stupid as if nothing but being famous matters.

by Anonymousreply 3907/04/2013

British people NEVER call themselves European, OP.

For one good reason -- they know they are not European.

by Anonymousreply 4007/04/2013

It just seems like the collective IQ of the US has dropped consistently, year to year, for the last twenty years.

I mean, Walmart - Chick Fil-A, Bachmann, Palin, Twitter, Big Brother, the Real Wives, the Kardashians, the rise of stupid Republicans and their knee-jerk conservatism and rejection of science - we aren't exactly contributing great things to world culture these days.

by Anonymousreply 4107/04/2013

Rush Limbaugh started making fun of education. So people decided they didn't need an education. We have a country full of fast food workers and Walmart cashiers.

I believe we are actually more ignorant then stupid...unless you are a fundi, in that case you are probably ignorant AND stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4207/04/2013

Is there any other country in the world where you can stomp your feet, say "that is my opinion", and be taken seriously? Everywhere in the world I have been, you are expected to support your argument.

by Anonymousreply 4307/04/2013

We allowed an election to be stolen so the stupidest man in the United States could illegally be President. We allowed an unneccesary war with Iraq, a country that was no danger whatsoever to the US. We do not have universal health care. To the rest of the civilized world, we look pretty stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4407/04/2013

What R44 said. Question asked and answered. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 4507/04/2013

[quote]I mean, Walmart - Chick Fil-A, Bachmann, Palin, Twitter, Big Brother, the Real Wives, the Kardashians, the rise of stupid Republicans and their knee-jerk conservatism and rejection of science - we aren't exactly contributing great things to world culture these days.

That's true and those morons all think we're #1 at everything. Anyone making the #1 claim is a mindless Pubbie who has never left Podunk.

by Anonymousreply 4607/04/2013

I'll add that if the obvious shenanigans surrounding the 2000 election had happened in most other countries, there would have been riots in the streets and a demand from the people that the rightful winner be installed as President. None of that happened in the US because we are lazy and stupid and don't want to get off our asses to do ANYTHING that might benefit us.

by Anonymousreply 4707/04/2013

[quote]I'll add that if the obvious shenanigans surrounding the 2000 election had happened in most other countries, there would have been riots in the streets and a demand from the people that the rightful winner be installed as President. None of that happened in the US because we are lazy and stupid and don't want to get off our asses to do ANYTHING that might benefit us.

We ended up with a war mongering president who was, and still is, a military deserter. And I'll never let people forget that.

It's always a good day when Dubya or war-monger Cheney are prevented from going to a foreign nation due to people ready to serve them with papers to bring them to trial for war crimes.

by Anonymousreply 4807/04/2013

R47 There were plenty of people who were protesting during that time and questioning it. They were even protesting on the day of the inauguration. (Bush did not walk the entire route because of the protesters)

Al Gore was the one who took himself out of the race and didn't want to question the results any further.

Same with Iraq. People were protesting en masse not to go to war, but most of the democratic party decided to ignore the questions and protests anyway and align themselves with the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 4907/04/2013

Democrats: a pussy party

by Anonymousreply 5007/04/2013

Pussy party? Can I get that address, please?

by Anonymousreply 5107/04/2013

[quote]Same with Iraq. People were protesting en masse not to go to war, but most of the democratic party decided to ignore the questions and protests anyway and align themselves with the Republicans.

I'm proud that I took part in those protests. When our DINO Senator voted for the invasion of Iraq, I let him know that he would not ever get my vote again for enabling the Bush-Cheney-Halliburton war.

by Anonymousreply 5207/04/2013

Because you sound like a pile of twits on wheels when you say 'erb' instead of HERB.

Damn, I hate having to spell this out for you. But ffs, come on.

by Anonymousreply 5307/05/2013

Well, R53, if tomato was meant to be pronounced tomahto, then potato would be potahto.

If schedule was meant to be pronounced shedule, then school would be shool. So shove that up your prolapsed shit shute.

by Anonymousreply 5407/05/2013

You need to read up on The Great Vowel Shift of 1350-1700 R54

All will be made clear.... or maybe,not.

by Anonymousreply 5507/05/2013

If we can tolerate your bizarre pronunciations of "pasta" and "ballet," you can tolerate our pronunciation of "herb."

by Anonymousreply 5607/05/2013

R7 is right, it's just jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 5707/05/2013

OP, you're the reason. No, really. Look at the "facts" you presented. None of those things was invented by an American. And I don't believe you're British, otherwise you'd be better educated. Or at least aware of the existence of Tim Berners-Lee, the English guy who invented the Internet. The web, however, was invented in the US. These are not the same thing.

Computer - Charles Babbage, English. Modern day computing - Alan Turing (English) based on maths of John Napier (Scottish). Telephone - Alexander Graham Bell (Scottish).

You see where this is going? There are lots of things in the world, and most of them weren't invented by Americans. Polish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Austalian, you name it, every country has made a contribution to the sum of human knowledge. Even the NASA moon landings were made possible by the German and British scientists who worked on it. The jet engine was invented in England. The US, however, is the only western country I know of that is a de facto theocracy. You won't be elected to office in the US unless you claim to be a practising Christian. There are people in the US government who don't believe in evolution. That is scary, right there.

by Anonymousreply 5807/05/2013

Not true R58.

With all due respect, AGB worked and lived in the USA. At the time he built a remote Nova Scotia vacation home conditions at that place were as primitive as they were in Turkmenistan.

Charles Babbage did not invent the computer. Indeed, he never even built a prototype. In fact, no Brit had any involvement with any breakthroughs in computers ever.

The first operational computer was Konrad Zuse's Z3, created in Berlin in 1941.

by Anonymousreply 5907/05/2013

It's typical of Brits that they claim to have invented the Internet by the late intervention of Tim Berners-Lee, who clearly piggybacked on previous networks built by others; and then put in Charles Babbage, who didn't do anything but write a paper a hundred years before there was a computer.

by Anonymousreply 6007/05/2013

Dylan Moran on the subject.

by Anonymousreply 6207/05/2013

R60 Please specify who you think invented the Internet? As for Charles Babbage, have you never heard of Babbage's Engine? Designing a computer sounds really like invention to me. You could also consider Jacquard to have designed the first ever punch card system back in the 1800s. Who do you imagine to have been the person who invented computing?

The American anti-intellectualism movement (fundies et al) is not helping, but the American Exceptionalism thing is a big problem too. While Americans think they're in the forefront of everything they don't understand that the rest of the world doesn't wait around for them to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 6307/05/2013

Early versions of the telephone, internet, computers, had already been "invented" in Europe. The reason why some people are fond of calling Americans stupid is because many Americans think they're the best country in the world and that everywhere else is inferior, which accentuates even further the ignorance, arrogance and stupidity of that group of Americans. Not all Americans are stupid, not all non-Americans think Americans are stupid, but OP exemplifies a kind of hubris which is very stupid.

by Anonymousreply 6407/06/2013

R44 pretty much nailed it. Europeans have seen too many stupid US reality tv series about people in pitiful situations. The situations are usually horrible, but we also notice the lack of education etc. Before those series we didn't know the situation in US was so bad.

by Anonymousreply 6507/06/2013

Call me a fool once, shame on you. Call me a fool twice, I will get fooled again.

by Anonymousreply 6607/06/2013

[quote] You could also consider Jacquard to have designed the first ever punch card system back in the 1800s.

Yes, this is the first computer. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 6707/06/2013

Who invented the cat?

by Anonymousreply 6807/06/2013

r44 really did nail it and like r45 said, this thread is closed.

by Anonymousreply 6907/06/2013

[quote]Hello, it's the country who invented the telephone, internet, why do people say things like:"Americans are so stupid!"*?

[quote]*Said by an European (British)

...the country WHO invented?

Was this Brit educated in the US?

by Anonymousreply 7007/06/2013

Watch BBC News; then watch Diane Sawyer's "news" show/frau fest. You'll understand exactly why Americans are considered idiots by the rest of the Western World.

by Anonymousreply 7107/06/2013

Here's your answer:

by Anonymousreply 7207/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 7307/06/2013

I absolutely loathe Jay Leno, so I'm hesitant to give him any props - but, his Jaywalking segments pretty much capture the stupidity of the typical American. Yes, they obviously choose the funniest, most outlandish responses - but the scary thing is: it's a fairly accurate sampling of the American intelligence-level.

by Anonymousreply 7407/06/2013

The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell - born in Scotland, moved to Canada at the age of 23..

by Anonymousreply 7507/06/2013

I actually will give the USA the telephone. It was invented in Boston by Graham and his American assistant, (who seems to have been actually the co-creator of the telephone), with American financing.

by Anonymousreply 7607/06/2013

The phrase would be "said by a European." A word that begins with a consonant sound uses "a" as the article and not "an" even if the word begins with a vowel.

by Anonymousreply 7707/06/2013

The US doesn't necessarily invent so much as it invests in invention and innovation - at least it used to.

by Anonymousreply 7807/06/2013

R77. You are wrong. It is not just the letter, but the sound. The initial sound of "European" is a "y" an therefore a consonant. Conversely, the initial sound of MP is an "e", Even though "M" is a consonant, it is correctly "an MP"

by Anonymousreply 7907/06/2013

R72's link is tragically hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 8007/06/2013

You ought to try working as a tour guide here in London and having to deal with stupid Americans every day - they don't have a clue about English history or what they are looking at. One of them the other day even asked who Nelson was on his Pillar and if he was a king ? I don't know why they even bother coming over here.

It seems their news is mainly local - do they even know what is happening in Egypt or Syria or anywhere else ?

by Anonymousreply 8107/06/2013

It may be simple as envy or annoyance that America is touted as the greatest country in the world.

Either way, no American I know cares what the global community thinks. And why should we? We have our own life problems to worry about, than some stranger has to say about our country. It isn't a crime to be self involved, in fact you might say it is normal.

by Anonymousreply 8207/06/2013

[quote]do they even know what is happening in Egypt or Syria or anywhere else ?

Slow down there... let's simply start with if many Americans know *where* "Egypt or Syria or anywhere else" are located.

by Anonymousreply 8307/06/2013

Friends in America tell me their education is woefully inadequate. You only find educated americans on either the East or West coasts.

by Anonymousreply 8407/06/2013

One does not expect Americans in Europe to be very knowledgeable, but surely they do some reading up or research on where they are going and what they are going to see ?

by Anonymousreply 8507/06/2013

I blame Miss Teen South Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 8607/06/2013

The first long distance calls were made by AGB in Canada. He spent most of his life in Canada, where he also conducted the bulk of his research. To suggest the telephone is an American invention is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 8707/06/2013

Because they think they own the world. Not to mention the trolling and harassing of other nations, religions, and races by Americunts....on websites like Yahoo, Youtube, Tumblr and so much more...Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8807/06/2013

R87, everything I have read says the first successful use of the telephone was at AGB lab in Boston. He did his research thanks to financing from Americans. Also, as is often the case, it seems that Watson, an American, was actually the one that made the discovery that led to the telephone. (Similarly, it wasn't Edison that actually discovered how to make a light bulb work. It was an assistant.) ABG patented the telephone in the USA and he incorporated the Bell Telephone company in Boston, MA, not Canada. Sorry, the fact that ABG was Canadian does not make the telephone Canadian any more than the work of German scientist in the USA after the war makes their work German.

by Anonymousreply 8907/06/2013

R81 - sorry, but you're looking for an excuse to bash Americans. I wouldn't expect a non-Commonwealth person to know who Nelson was necessarily. If a Brit came here, saw a statue of a Civil War general (let's say), asking, "Which President is that?" I wouldn't think them "ignorant" at all.

"Ignorant" to me would be knowing that a building was Parliament, but asking, "What's that place for?"

by Anonymousreply 9007/06/2013

[quote]Similarly, it wasn't Edison that actually discovered how to make a light bulb work

Edison got credit (and patents) for a lot of things created by people on his staff. He had the smarts to surround himself with many inventive people.

by Anonymousreply 9107/06/2013

Because of all that R44 said, coupled with America's insistence that it's always right and great. Epic denial is a big easy target. Americans calling their fellows not in denial 'traitors' and 'communists' doesn't create a healthy democracy.

Of course we know that Obama, Bill, Hillary and plenty more aren't stupid. One reason Obama won his Nobel was deep gratitude at his emergence and promise after eight years of stupefying ineptitude. If Hillary steps up, maybe those terrible years - The Stupid Years? - can be thrown into yet more contrast.

Then there's the gun laws. After Sandy Hook a President wept. Civilised progress in the wake of that tragedy could only win respect.

by Anonymousreply 9207/06/2013

It's a mixture of things. The first is because they have an inferiority complex and calling Americans stupid makes them feel better. Another reason is, if you only listen to the sensational media, they focus on the idiot sector of Americans. Every country has its share of idiots but it's become cliche to promote the idea that all Americans are idiotic as the former cast of Jersey Shore. It always makes the headlines when a dumb American does or says something stupid. Another reason is politics and culture. If people in other countries don't like, understand or agree with certain laws or customs Americans have, they'll call them stupid.

by Anonymousreply 9307/06/2013

R89 It wasn't even an assistant of Edison that invented the light bulb, the first working light bulb was demonstrated in 1835 in Scotland, and there are many people who made incandescent bulbs long before Edison.

by Anonymousreply 9407/06/2013

Because people love to throw shade at their superiors.

by Anonymousreply 9507/06/2013

It doesn't help US hasn't universal health care, people have very short vacations, when in Europe 4-5 weeks in summer is average, education is very expensive and public schools have bad reputation, maternity leave is 2-3 months (?!), when in my home country maternity leave is 105 week days and then follows leave for 158 week days, for all these the state pays a daily support, if a mother has financial resources she may stay at home until the youngest child is 3, and work part-time until the youngest is 7. Paternal leave is 54 week days and strongly recommended.

Why would Europeans think our fellow Americans are such smart and clever, when the system is so backward.

by Anonymousreply 9607/06/2013

Because we is beautiful and peoples is jellisss!!

by Anonymousreply 9707/06/2013

Stupid, rude and ugly!

We Europeans have always looked down on you dumb trashy Americans and with good reason.

You people are worthless scum infecting the rest of the world!

by Anonymousreply 9807/06/2013

What r96 says. That is a civilized way to treat people who work for a living. Of course, if any of that were suggested, most Americans would be screaming "communism!" and "socialism!" Americans really don't know the difference between the two. Anything that is suggested for making our lives better in this country is immediately suspect, and there is always the excuse "there's no money to pay for it!" However, when the Pentagon needs a handout or we need to go to war, not only is there money for it but an endless supply of it. It is insane.

Not all parts of the US are backwards, though. The Northeast and the Pacific Coast regions are quite liberal (I live in the Northeast) and in recent years the red state/blue state divide has become increasingly pronounced. Those of us in the Northeast/Pacific regions are increasingly exasperated with the rest of the country because it is so backward and it seems the most ignorant members of the populace direct the flow of public discourse. Those Time magazine covers from the link above are a perfect example, and Time is a mainstream publication, not some wacko fringe rag.

It really is depressing sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 9907/06/2013

The amazing Caitlin Upton stands up for America and shows the world what we're made of!!!! Her family and teachers must be proud.

While it's been said that a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map, our Cait had all the answers and more than 19 million people have watched her on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 10007/06/2013

[quote]While it's been said that a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map

Which fifth? What are the demographics that comprise that number?

by Anonymousreply 10107/06/2013

R79, I wrote exactly what you're saying in my R77. How am I wrong?

by Anonymousreply 10207/06/2013

R94, there were probably light bulbs of that type thousands of years ago. Just because Brits document their history better doesn't mean they are actually technological innovators. They weren't.

by Anonymousreply 10307/06/2013

R103 Congratulations, you are EXACTLY the sort of dumb-as-fuck American that this whole thread is about. Incandescent lightbulbs were invented thousands of years ago? Are you really so desperate to belittle anything not-American (and in particular the British) that you are claiming that light bulbs were invented thousands of years ago but no-one thought to write it down until a British person demonstrated it in public?

by Anonymousreply 10407/06/2013

Rule Britannia!

by Anonymousreply 10507/06/2013

The British demonstration was just a party trick. It was not a commercial product before Edison. Congratulations on having scientists with no imagination who only care about themselves and not about the public.

by Anonymousreply 10607/06/2013

r106 the sub topic is who invented what not who mass marketed what. And inventing is a pretty good indication of imagination, while marketing a product commercially normally just indicates a rather unimaginative and self serving desire to get rich.

by Anonymousreply 10707/07/2013

Actually, I think light bulbs were invented thousands of years ago but of course they were not widely available and then went by the wayside because other sources of light were more readily available.

by Anonymousreply 10807/07/2013

[quote]Who invented the cat?

The French.

by Anonymousreply 10907/07/2013

Erm OP? A British computer scientist by the name of Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet. Not an American.

by Anonymousreply 11007/07/2013

[quote]Why are people so fond of calling Americans stupid?

My foreign friends who live in Manhattan never say this in my presence. But I suspect they talk amongst themselves when I'm gone. It's a generality. I'm smart. I could be on Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 11107/07/2013

Tim Berners-Lee invented the WorldWide Web. Not hypertext, not the Internet. The WWW is NOT the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 11207/07/2013

Americans can see a really bad plane crash and think that only 2 people out of 300, died.

Kind of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 11307/07/2013

R112, you must be Anerican. The Hypertext Protocol was exactly what TBL invented, i.e., the World Wide Web.

by Anonymousreply 11407/07/2013

[quote]Tim Berners-Lee invented the WorldWide Web.

This comes as a shock to me!

by Anonymousreply 11507/07/2013

Because they are Blanch. THEY ARE!

by Anonymousreply 11607/07/2013

I think the fact you say "it's the country who" and not "the country that" helps answer your own question, not to mention the factual errors about inventions others have mentioned. Americans (and I include myself in this) are notorious for not involving themselves in facts or knowing fine details like, say, the truth. Or knowing basic grammar, or troubling themselves to learn anything more than they absolutely must know about any subject.

Ignorance about so many individual things, minor when taken separately, adds up to enormous ignorance altogether. Since other countries, on balance, have not dumbed their educational systems down or indulged in a constant diet of brainless entertainment the way America has, they have every right to look at us as beneath them. We are.

by Anonymousreply 11707/07/2013

Pet Gays

America, I’m not your pet gay.

America, I never said I wanted to marry you. Can’t we just live together?

America, I’m not a Care Bear on your suburban lawn with an adopted Guatemalan baby in my arms and my legal-in-twelve-states-and-DC husband weeping beside me and humming the score of Rent through his grateful tears. . .

by Anonymousreply 11807/07/2013

[quote]I absolutely loathe Jay Leno, so I'm hesitant to give him any props - but, his Jaywalking segments pretty much capture the stupidity of the typical American. Yes, they obviously choose the funniest, most outlandish responses - but the scary thing is: it's a fairly accurate sampling of the American intelligence-level.

I agree R74. The real gems are when the stupid person turns out to be a school teacher. There ought to be a TV special "The Best of Jaywalking."

by Anonymousreply 11907/08/2013

That you believe what you see on "Jaywalking", on the Tonight show, is indicative of anything other than scripted edited entertainment speaks volumes about your intellect.

by Anonymousreply 12007/08/2013

Because they label every news item "BREAKING."

by Anonymousreply 12107/08/2013

While the Jaywalking questions are scripted, the replies from stupid people match the intellect of anyone who thinks the replies are scripted. Leno doesn't have to go far to find stupid Americans. If R120 ever leaves that basement, no doubt he chould be a Jaywalking star.

by Anonymousreply 12207/08/2013

"Which fifth? What are the demographics that comprise that number?"

The "dumb as dogshit" demographic, I think.

Rather bidding against yourself there, perhaps...

by Anonymousreply 12307/08/2013

Because almost all Republicans are, willfully so.

by Anonymousreply 12407/08/2013

All lot of Europeans look at the violence and availability of guns in the US as stupid. I live here and hear it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 12507/08/2013

As part of a question and answer portion of the 2007 Miss Teen USA pageant, Upton was asked by the questioner, Friday Night Lights actress Aimee Teegarden: "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"

Miss Teen South Carolina, Caitlin Upton, responded:

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.

by Anonymousreply 12607/08/2013

R126 I'm more disturbed that a fifth of Americans can't find the US on a map.

by Anonymousreply 12707/08/2013

R122, back away from the crack pipe.

by Anonymousreply 12807/08/2013

Let me give you an example of why it can look bad for Americans. While traveling through turkey we met up with a bunch of travelers and were sitting around a beer garden. One of the Irish guys was recounting a funny story, at the end an American guy I had never met piped up and said " i know you speak with an Irish accent but do you think in American?". Some of us laughed, until we realized he wasn't kidding. I could have died of shame.

The following evening some new girls joined us and when they were asked where they were from one girl responded "the greatest city in the world". There was dead silence until someone volunteered "oh you're from Paris?" and someone piped up "no no she must be from London" someone called out "Berlin" and so on. Eventually she said very seriously "no, the greatest city in the world is New York". "Based on what?" said someone. She had no answers. She was stunned, this was a universal truth. Once again I was mortified.

This is what infuriates the rest of the world, how insular many Americans are. How obnoxious it sounds when we assume that everything that we think in America must be the way everyone else see's it. How often have I heard an American in a foreign country express frustration that people there don't speak English. As though everyone in Greece should have learnt English to accommodate Americans.

I travel a lot so I've heard the worst of it, most of us are lovely but there are a few poorly educated souls who manage to say something so stupid and obnoxious that it gives everyone else a bad rep.

by Anonymousreply 12907/08/2013

I heard two American guys talking in Cartegena, Colombia. They wanted to find a McDonald's (shudder), and the one wanted to know how they would find McDonald's when they don't speak Spanish. The other guy said, "Just add an o to every word that doesn't end in o and that's Spanish." He then demonstrated his Spanish to his buddy with: "Weo wanto to go to McDonald'so. Do youo knowo whereo ito iso?"

by Anonymousreply 13007/08/2013

Jaywalking is definitely scripted, or people willing to claim two seconds of fame by acting stupid. It is not in any way real.

by Anonymousreply 13107/08/2013

R114, the Internet is MORE than the Web. Also, Tim Berners-Lee did invent HTTP, but not the concept of Hypertext. That would be Ted Nelson.

From Wikipedia: "The terms Internet and World Wide Web are often used interchangeably in everyday speech; it is common to speak of "going on the Internet" when invoking a web browser to view web pages. However, the Internet is a particular global computer network connecting millions of computing devices; the World Wide Web is just one of many services running on the Internet."

by Anonymousreply 13207/08/2013

As someone who has seen the best the Canadian system produces....They don't have a right to look down on anyone. The unattended runaway train in Quebec pretty much sums up their entire political system.

by Anonymousreply 13307/08/2013

Jaysus, what a bunch of crap this thread is loaded with.

Who the fuck cares what Euros think of us, whose ancestors didn't have the guts and wherewithal to get the hell off of massa's estate and start a new life?

by Anonymousreply 13407/08/2013

As with all stereotypes, there is some truth in it, but Europeans in particular are so fond of their superiority complex that it makes them look stupid.

Once I was having lunch in Paris in the square beside the the pyramid entrance to the Louvre. An Englishman sat next to my friend and I and was so condescending that I began fucking with him. I started joking and playing dumb, thinking obviously the shit head knew that no one is that stupid. He didn't. In the end, we wound up laughing at him, and he felt so humiliated and angry that he moved to another table. It was rude, but we turned the tables on him.

Ignorance and stupidity is part of the human condition. To suggest that the entire population of any nation is more intellectual than the entire population of another country is ridiculous.

The thing about American stupidity is that our rednecks and our inner city thugs are proud of their ignorance and embrace it as a badge of honor. They hold that flag up high and tell everyone to kiss their asses. Even middle class kids like to act as if they are not educated.

by Anonymousreply 13507/08/2013

Brits can be comically dim too. 'Private Eye' magazine has a little section called 'Dumb Britain' which prints hilarious answers from earnest greedy TV quiz contestants.

That said, I know I'd flounder too before the lights, cameras and audience.

In contrast to Dumb Brits, BBC's 'Mastermind' features contestants of the human Google variety, in fact somewhat quicker, given that every second counts. 'University Challenge' highlights college brain power. Neither of these shows offers a cash prize.

by Anonymousreply 13607/09/2013

I'm not so sure that fondness has anything to do with calling Americans stupid.

by Anonymousreply 13707/09/2013

R129, there is no apostrophe in the word "sees", there is apparently no mistaking your being American, is there? I don't blame you, I blame your terrible school system. Grammar and spelling seem to be all a matter of what one makes it--the apostrophe has no function in American English but as mere decoration, just stick it in wherever you feel like it. It seems to be a general rule that "if the letter s you spy, stick in an apostrophe to strike the eye.

by Anonymousreply 13807/09/2013

R138, while I am not an American or native English speaker, I would love to read your diagnosis of your own use of punctuation, because you know you're about to get slammed for it by an American, I hope.

Most people that I know don't think all Americans are stupid. The angry, loud Southerners and all Republicans do not represent you well.

And it doesn't help when we get questions such as "Is the Netherlands part of Scandinavia?" or "Where is Denmark?"

Boasting like the OP does, as if the successes of a few make you the best nation on earth, only makes it worse.

by Anonymousreply 13907/09/2013

Well when you vote for presidents like Nixon,Carter,LBJ,The Bushes and Obama you deserve to be called stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14007/09/2013

"It may be simple as envy or annoyance that America is touted as the greatest country in the world."

It's only touted as such by dumb Americans, r82.

"An Englishman sat next to my friend and I" "Ignorance and stupidity is"

R135, if you're going to talk about others being ignorant and stupid please at least use the English language correctly, especially since it's supposedly your native tongue.

by Anonymousreply 14107/09/2013

I haven't watched Leno in years - he is so awful - but back when they started Jaywalking (the interviewing in the street)it seemed spontaneous enough. Because yes, Americans really are that stupid. Once they started doing the gameshow format "Allstars" bullshit, which is totally scripted, then the idea, like the rest of the Tonight Show, pandered to the stupid Americans who felt smarter than the stupid Americans they were supposedly mocking.

by Anonymousreply 14207/09/2013

R140 - we've got Camoron and Clegg in the UK (and Salmond in Scotland) we're not exactly boasting about our leaders...

by Anonymousreply 14307/09/2013

But 'cha are Amrica, ya are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14407/09/2013

Americans are okay, OP. Europeans just like to beat up on you guys for fun (even though you liberated them) and Brits always think they're much more cultured than anyone else even though they invented the chav.

by Anonymousreply 14507/09/2013

Before Leno did Jaywalking, we had "Candid Camera." You can still find various segments on the net, especially YouTube.

Around January 1965, Alan Funt went out with his camera and asked people on the streets of New York, "Who is William E. Miller?" Apparently he didn't find anyone who could identify Miller. Several times he would give a hint by saying most Republicans would know Miller. One lady stated that she was a staunch Republican and that if Miller were an important Republican, she would know about him.

When Barry Goldwater ran for President two months prior, the candidate for Vice President on his ticket was William E. Miller. He represented New York in Congress from 1951 through 1965.

by Anonymousreply 14607/09/2013

[quote]Brits always think they're much more cultured than anyone else even though they invented the chav.

I think you'll find I played a big part in that.

by Anonymousreply 14707/09/2013

"Europeans just like to beat up on you guys for fun (even though you liberated them)"

And we (Brits) ask - do you know what "liberated" means?

by Anonymousreply 14807/09/2013

Liberate: Free from occupation.

Example of usage: You Brits need to liberate yourselves from the stick that is shoved up your collective ass!

by Anonymousreply 14907/09/2013

Based on American reality TV programs and the current state of the American Music industry.......fact

by Anonymousreply 15007/09/2013

Great Britain has always been our greatest ally. They could have won against the Germans with the new Rolls Royce airplane engines but we were so pissed off at Pearl Harbor we offered to help. We never liberated them.

by Anonymousreply 15107/09/2013

The British never got over that whole American Revolution thing....and now there country is kind of over so I guess they have a right to be bitter.

by Anonymousreply 15207/10/2013

I think perhaps there is a great deal of shallow thought from many quarters, but there is far more coverage of that in the US. I'm in Australia and I see a fair amount of US-based media and also from the UK. We are able to gain an impression based on those talking heads, whether accurate or not, but there is less out there for them to get an impression of other countries.

Mel Gibson is not technically one of ours, but sorry all the same.

by Anonymousreply 15307/10/2013

Canadians eat poutine. The British have soccer hooligans. The French have taken the asshole persona so far that they are rapidly becoming Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 15407/10/2013

Great Britain has never been our best ally.

by Anonymousreply 15507/10/2013

[quote]and now there country is kind of over

Another example @ R152 of American stupidity from a moron trying to diss the Brits.

by Anonymousreply 15607/10/2013

[quote]Great Britain has never been our best ally.

Sorry, I meant Iceland.

by Anonymousreply 15707/10/2013

Great Britian considers the USA their number 1 ally, by far, over any other country on the planet. I get the fact Americans are fickle about all other countries on the planet, looking down on the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 15807/12/2013

Americans are from all the other countries on the planet.

We don't look down on you. We're just glad you're there and we're here.

by Anonymousreply 15907/12/2013

r159 Is so right.

by Anonymousreply 16007/12/2013

So, do Americans still call french fries "Freedom Fries"????

Do they still shoot each other at over 1,000 times the rate, of their closest neighbor????

Do minimum wage or unemployed Americans still really think the "Tea Party" will bring back the good jobs????

Are life size Taylor Swift posters still up in the malls????

by Anonymousreply 16107/13/2013

[quote]So, do Americans still call french fries "Freedom Fries"????

I thought it was over but saw this on a menu two weeks ago. I walked out when I saw that Dubya-style stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 16207/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!