Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Peter Bogdanovich deserves his own thread.

Is he basically a creep who exploited WASPy starlets such as Cybil Sheppard and Dorothy Stratten?

I enjoyed Paper Moon and The Last Picture Show, but I don't get a signature sense of him as a director.

Have any of you met him?

by Anonymousreply 6907/08/2013

He's definitely a creep, but I don't think you could say he exploited Cybill or Dorothy. They formed liaisons with him that furthered their careers.

by Anonymousreply 107/03/2013

And I think this will be a very short thread...

by Anonymousreply 207/03/2013

He was one of the hottest directors in Hollywood for several years and made a short string of hits: The Last Picture Show, What's Up Doc, and Paper Moon. His next, highly-awaited movie, Nickelodeon, bombed and every single movie he's made since then has been a turkey.

by Anonymousreply 307/03/2013

He must have made some bad business decisions and took work just for money, a la Francis Ford Coppola. Why else would someone do a TV movie sequel of To Sir With Love?

He's a good film scholar/historian, and he was great for a while, when all of the big filmmakers (Scorsese, Friedkin etc) were all attempting to explore different genres. Bogdanovich probably did it best, in that he disappeared back into old filmmaking styles with little signature, whereas something like New York New York is a musical but is also definitely a Scorsese film.

What's Up Doc was an excellent screwball comedy that matches the brilliance of the original entries into the genre. At Long Last Love, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 407/03/2013

I met him. He couldn't stop prattling on about Orson Welles and came across as an affected ethnic pretending to be an uppity society WASP.In essence he was an insufferable bore who loves the sound of his own voice. One could say that he's a self obsessed cunt.

by Anonymousreply 507/03/2013

His DAISY MILLER is awful mainly because of Shepherd who gives a horrendous performance.

by Anonymousreply 607/03/2013

Love his recurring Hugh Heffner character on Law & Order. He captures that essence and absurdity so well.

by Anonymousreply 707/03/2013

[quote] came across as an affected ethnic pretending to be an uppity society WASP

Miss Hilly Holbrook has arrived!

by Anonymousreply 807/03/2013

The Last Picture Show is one of the great American movies (and he was only 32 at the time) Paper Moon and Whats Up Doc are both excellent comedies (and both feature the divine madeline Kahn) I think the death of Dorothy Stratten must have derailed him artistically since everything subsequent is basically unwatchable--(Mask is ok, if kind of made for tv)

by Anonymousreply 907/03/2013

The Last Picture Show was the first R rated I movie I ever saw. Was it R then? Can't remember. Anyway I recently rewatched it and it is still one of my favorite films. Amzing technique, look and especially performances. I cried like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 1007/03/2013

My friend was Bogdanovich's P.A. and said he was a nut-case.

He was good in his "Sopranos" role, and boy was he cute when he was young. Now he looks like a slightly younger brother to Larry King.

by Anonymousreply 1107/03/2013

R11, Specifics on how he was a nut case, please.

by Anonymousreply 1207/03/2013

He gave a good commentary either on a film, or in some mini-doc on a DVD, but I forget what.

by Anonymousreply 1307/03/2013

HIs imputed "signature" was a reverence for classic American technique, a reaction to the contemporary European and the auteur. While other American directors were looking to Antonioni and Godard he emulated Hawks and Ford.

These may just be buzz words, but it was the common wisdom at the time.

He made a few good movies and some completely inept ones.

by Anonymousreply 1407/03/2013

Hello Mr. Bogdanovich @ R12. Thank you for joining us.

by Anonymousreply 1507/03/2013

What's Up Doc and Paper Moon both hold up very well over the years. My brother and I loved both movies when we were kids. For the first time in years we watched them again over the holidays. We were amazed at how funny they still are.

I agree with R9. After Dorothy Stratten's death, he was just never the same.

by Anonymousreply 1607/03/2013

R15, I'm not a "Mr" at all.

by Anonymousreply 1707/03/2013

I though The Cat's Meow was good, back when it came out in 2001. Don't know if it holds up.

by Anonymousreply 1807/03/2013

I wonder if Dorothy Stratten would have stayed with him. There's a certain point where a 21 year old girl becomes bored with a 40 something year old. Taking up with her younger sister when she was 16 and having her undergo plastic surgery to resemble Dorothy was beyond creepy. They're divorced now. I hope she writes a book some day.

by Anonymousreply 1907/03/2013

His first film "Targets," from 1967, is very interesting and definitely worth watching. It's basically two movies: In one, a clean-cut, average young man methodically plans a mass shooting (ala Charles Whitman at the University of Texas in 1966). In the other, Bogdanovich plays a young director working with Boris Karloff (playing a version of himself) on a cheap horror flick. The stories don't intersect until the very end, and the Karloff stuff is a little weird and campy, but the sniper stuff is extremely well paced and tense. The movie has no soundtrack and he makes amazing use of incidental noise - car radios, TVs etc.

Bogdanovich wrote and directed it and has one of the main roles. He was totally cute at the time, too. "The Last Picture Show" is brilliant but he lost his touch a lot sooner than many of his contemporaries (though Coppola didn't last much longer as a first-rate director, IMO).

by Anonymousreply 2007/03/2013

AT LONG LAST LOVE is still his most unwatchable film. It's stupefyingly bad - the only thing worse than Burt Reynolds trying to be Fred Astaire is Cybill Shepherd trying to do anything (act, sing, etc.).

DAISY MILLER at least had good performances from the rest of the cast, particularly Eileen Brennan.

The only films he made later that I recall were pretty good was SAINT JACK with Ben Gazzara and MASK.

I was never that taken with WHAT'S UP, DOC? It's never as funny as it wants to be.

by Anonymousreply 2107/03/2013

Please link to one cute picture of him younger. He still looks like something Rick Moranis shit out and put a neckerchief on.

by Anonymousreply 2207/03/2013

Here he is with Karloff, r22. Not strapping or anything but he had a cute nerd thing happening.

by Anonymousreply 2307/03/2013

[quote]I was never that taken with WHAT'S UP, DOC? It's never as funny as it wants to be.

I loved it when I was 16. When I tried to watch it as an old man, it seemed very stilted.

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2013

Another vote for: he was never cute.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2013

In "What's Up Doc" the wonderful Mabel Albertson (sister of Jack Albertson) gets to step out of her usual matron roles and have some fun playing the jewel-laden rich lady. For her alone it's still worth watching as well as the (now) classic line: "I am not A Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns."

by Anonymousreply 2707/03/2013

Not sure about Dorothy, but don't think you could say he exploited Cybill. She was excellent in Last Picture Show because she was essentially playing herself. Small town beauty who realised she held some power over men and manipulated them. Peter's mistake was he was in love and overestimated her ability. She was never a trained actress. Rather than help her career, it totally derailed it. Getting "Taxi Driver" helped Cybill but it wsan't until she went and got some training she came back in "Moonlighting" showing some talent. She recovered but Peter never really did.

His next movie has Cybill, Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. Even if it is a moderate hit it will be Peter's biggest hit in decades.

by Anonymousreply 2807/03/2013

I'm excited about his new film because he is a unique talent and his work is worth paying 11 bucks for.

can't say the same for all of the dreck that's currently playing.

by Anonymousreply 2907/03/2013

Wherever Sal Mineo is in the universe, he must be thrilled at how PB's career imploded.

I think the story was that Sal brought The Last Picture Show to the attention of Bogdanovich, but was overlooked when the film was being casted. It would have been a career boost for Mineo, who had been in a slump for the better part of a decade. Needless to say SM was pissed.

The story of PB and Dorothy Stratten's younger sister is way beyond creepy. To literally try to mold somebody into another (deceased) individual...what can one say?

by Anonymousreply 3007/03/2013

There would have been no role for Sal Mineo in The Last Picture Show. He was too old to play a teen and too ethnic looking to play any of the roles of good old white boys.

by Anonymousreply 3107/03/2013

Who on EARTH would Sal Mineo have played in TLPS?

I agree that no one had a string of hits like Bogdanovich in the '70s, not even Coppola. Scorcese is really only good with mob movies.

Ever see a Scorcese comedy?

Even though Peter lost the thread after the killings, he had a couple of spasms in the 80s and 90s. I liked THEY ALL LAUGHED.

by Anonymousreply 3207/03/2013

Isn't Bogdanovich's ex-wife Polly Platt, who was the Production Designer on Last Picture Show and Paper Moon, generally credited in Hollywood with being the genius behind those two films?

by Anonymousreply 3307/03/2013

FWIW, Polly Platt never took credit for his work but they have both acknowledged a collaborative relationship. He did go downhill without her but I don't think it's correct to say she was the sole genius.

by Anonymousreply 3407/03/2013

The guy seems like a creep of major proportions. Just look at those dead eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3507/03/2013

He was great as the psychiatrist to Dr Melfi on The Sopranos. But, he is not and never was a good looking man.

He obviously had a big hard on for blonde shiksas

by Anonymousreply 3607/03/2013

If you wan't to see a thinly disguised version of the Bogdanovich / Polly Platt break up, watch " Irrconciable Differences". Ryan O'Neal is PB, Shelley Long is PP, and Sharon Stone is Cybill Shephard. It's a very funny, and at times , even touching film. It's a riot when O'Neal / Stone decide to to a musical remake of "Gone With The Wind" ( "At Long Last Love"), and it becomes a huge flop. Scarlett (Stone) actually sings a song with these lyrics :

'This Civil War, aint gonna get me down . I'm taking my act, to a brand new town. This belle got felled in old Atlanta , so I'm lookin for a brand new Santa'

Seeing a weak voiced Stone croaking this out, standing in he middle of hundreds of dead soldier extras, is surreal....and very funny ! It's all to show the hubris PB had, and his putting CS out there, only to fail big.

by Anonymousreply 3707/03/2013

" I think the death of Dorothy Stratten must have derailed him artistically since everything subsequent is basically unwatchable--(Mask is ok, if kind of made for tv)"

Actually, his artistic decline began as early as 1974, when he made "Daisy Miller" and a series of other bombs with Cybil Sheperd. Stratten's death in 1981 may have marked the end of hope for his career, because that's when he officially became an Old Creep, but the rot set in during the Cybil years.

Getting the kind of shiksas he'd always dreamed about was seriously bad for his artistry.

by Anonymousreply 3807/03/2013

DAISY MILLER is underrated, but not by much.

by Anonymousreply 3907/03/2013

And yet another vote for: he was never cute.

by Anonymousreply 4007/03/2013

"I'm excited about his new film because he is a unique talent and his work is worth paying 11 bucks for."

Who are you, his press agent? After his earlier successes (The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon, What's Up Doc) it was all downhill from there. He's not a good director. Most of what he's done is crap. Yet he has an ego that enormous even by Hollywood standards. He's a very nasty, weird person. Just looking at him gives me the willies.

by Anonymousreply 4107/03/2013

One of his most underrated movies, in my opinion, is the film version of the "unfilmable" stage farce "Noises Off!". The all-star cast--Michael Caine, Carol Burnett, John Ritter, Christopher Reeve, Julie Hagerty, Marilu Henner, Denholm Elliot--was excellent, and the comic timing was spot-on. Also in the cast was a young Nicolette Sheridan, and although she was very good, I can't help wondering if she got the part because she looked so much like Dorothy Stratten.

Another good movie is "The Cat's Meow", about the whole William R. Hearst yacht possible-murder of Thomas Ince. Kirsten Dunst played Marion Davies, although at 17 she was ten years younger that Davies was when the incident took place. Eddie Izzard was a disappointment as Charlie Chaplin--I wished they had gotten Robert Downey Jr. to reprise the role.

by Anonymousreply 4207/03/2013

Cher and he were at each others throats during making of Mask She said he's a nightmare

by Anonymousreply 4307/03/2013

Face it. He only made three good movies and he was over by the mid-70s.

by Anonymousreply 4507/03/2013

"Cher and he were at each others throats during making of Mask She said he's a nightmare"

He said she's "not an accomplished actress" and he was right about that. She can't do scenes that involve a lot of dialogue; maybe that's because she's dyslexic. I heard that somewhere. Anyway, they didn't like each other. They're not each other's type, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 4607/03/2013

Carol Burnett has never been in a good movie, nor has she ever been good in any movie.

I am surprised when I see her in old sketches from her show how poorly they hold up.

She was pretty lousy in "Moon Over Buffalo" on Broadway too, but it's a very unfunny play.

by Anonymousreply 4707/03/2013

I think you just don't like Carol Burnett, r47.

by Anonymousreply 4807/03/2013

Has anybody seen the newly released DVD re-cut of At Long Last Love? It's supposedly good?

by Anonymousreply 4907/03/2013

Weird... earlier today I walked past a series of photographs hanging in a hall in my office (we have an extensive art collection). I've walked by the series of 4 photos dozens of times, but today for some reason I chose to stop and look. The series is black & white and each photo depicts a pair of hands. One pair of hands was old and wrinkled, while two others were nondescript. And one pair of hands was just sexy. I read the description of the photos and saw that the sexy hands were those of Peter Bogdanovich. The photo was taken in the mid-80s.

I don't know anything about Peter Bogdanovich, but he used to have sexy hands.

by Anonymousreply 5007/03/2013

I always thought Daisy Miller was more than ok as long as Shepherd kept her mouth shut.

I DVRed The Last Picture Show when it was last on TCM - the first time I've seen the movie since the 1970s - and while I thought it was good, it wasn't as powerful as I remembered it.

As for At Long Last Love - I remember being surprised that I didn't find it horrible when it first had its TV premier a few years after its theatrical release. I remember liking Madeline Kahn a lot, plus there's an enjoyable number in a ladies room. And I sort of liked Burt Reynolds, even thought he couldn't sing a note or dance. I'd love to see it again just out of curiosity. BTW, IIRC I think it was Gene Shalit who said of Shepherd in the movie that she danced with the grace of an elephant walking across a snow bank.

by Anonymousreply 5107/03/2013

I also want to acknowledge Bogdanovich's appearances on The Sopranos where he played Dr. Melfi's psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 5207/03/2013

To tell the truth, R31 and R32, I do not know what kind of role Sal Mineo could have played in TLPS. I would agree, he was too old to play one of the teens, and too New York/Bronx Italian for some of the other roles. But he was still pissed, and cursed Bogdanovich for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 5307/04/2013

I would imagine that Mineo was looking for a producer credit and $$$ as such, not a role, you dimwits.

by Anonymousreply 5407/04/2013

[quote]I always thought Daisy Miller was more than ok as long as Shepherd kept her mouth shut.

I wondered about this--I haven't seen the movie since its release--and then I found the clip linked below on youtube.

Since she's demonstrated ability elsewhere, some of the blame for her performance might be directed towards the director. He must have been deeply in love with her.

I walked out of "Nickelodeon."

by Anonymousreply 5507/04/2013

In that clip, with Shepherd , is actor Barry Brown. He was an up & coming actor (appeared in "Bad Company", with Jeff Bridges). He killed himself, at age 27. His sister killed herself, 9 years later. Another case of suicide seeming to run in a family.

by Anonymousreply 5607/04/2013

I winder does he have a sister or brother? Did any of his wives take his name?

by Anonymousreply 5707/04/2013

I vote for cute, but then I like nebbishy little guys.

by Anonymousreply 5807/05/2013

R34, Polly received a credit in those movies. She got her credit.

Bogdanovich was a tub in his thirties, never cute. Smoked like a chimney too.

I HATED The Last Picture Show. Tried to watch it again recently and couldn't get through 15 min. Hated At Long Last Love -- Reynolds was doing Dean Martin, not Fred Astaire (WTF?). Cybill, oy.

The best of his movies for me is still Paper Moon.

by Anonymousreply 5907/05/2013

[quote] To literally try to mold somebody into another (deceased) individual...what can one say?

I'd say "Vertigo"

by Anonymousreply 6007/05/2013

The story, R54, was that Mineo was looking for a role, not to produce, so go fuck off, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6107/05/2013

So we're only to rely on r30's report of Mineo and The Last Picture Show for "the story" about getting "casted" r61?

Mineo was attempting producing theater and films in his later years; he was obviously trying to do the same with this new property he discovered and brought to Bogdanovich.

Why is that so hard to understand?

by Anonymousreply 6207/05/2013

Polly Platt was indeed credited as the Production Designer on The Last Picture Show and Paper Moon but Hollywood insiders said she did a lot more than design the scenery....essentially giving both films their total visual aesthetic.

And her absence as Production Designer was apparent in all succeeding Bogdanovich films.

by Anonymousreply 6307/05/2013

Also, Platt got credit on "What's Up Doc".

by Anonymousreply 6407/05/2013

Bogdanovich certainly had a thing for under age blonds, but the shiksa thing wasn't the issue, since he's not Jewish. His father was from Yugoslavia (as it was then called--Croatian probably). I had a friend who was his secretary for many years (and to whom he owed money for a major part of the time. Not sure if she ever got it all, since she moved to the east coast a few years ago, but I guess so, since she kept working for him for a long time. She liked him, FWIW.)

by Anonymousreply 6507/05/2013

The movie referenced by R28 was co-written with Louise Stratten, according to IMDB.

Synopsis: "A married Broadway director falls for a prostitute-turned-actress and works to help her advance her career."

Sounds autobiographical.

by Anonymousreply 6607/05/2013

[quote]Polly Platt was indeed credited as the Production Designer on The Last Picture Show and Paper Moon but Hollywood insiders said she did a lot more than design the scenery....essentially giving both films their total visual aesthetic.

One of the extra tasks that Platt had on the LPS set was to be hairdresser to Cybill Shepherd. In "Picture This", the documentary about the filming, she says it took all she had to keep from giving Cybill an "accidental" haircut.

Here's Ben Johnson winning Best Supporting Actor--he disses Cybill by pointedly thanking "Peter Bogdonavich--and his lovely wife, Polly" (this was the Oscars where presenter Cybill kept "misreading" the cue cards, mentioning Peter's movies when they weren't even nominated).

by Anonymousreply 6707/05/2013

Here's Cybill "flubbing her lines"; it was actually the 1974 Oscars, not the '71 show.

by Anonymousreply 6807/05/2013

I remember Tatum O'Neal saying when she won her Oscar for Paper Moon it later became a source of hostility that Ryan O'Neal carried around for years because she won and he didn't. Bogdanovich himself said he and Ryan had to give her constant line readings and it took a long time to get a decent take. She was only about 8 though, so its not surprising but I can imagine Peter and Ryan being surprised she won that Oscar.

R49 I have read the new version of At Long Last Love is the best cut there is, but don't know if that's saying much! There's a blog entry written by Bogdanovich about the new version here.

by Anonymousreply 6907/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.