Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My New Kitten Tested Positive For FIV.

Does anyone here have experience with this?

He is only about 10 weeks old and appears to be a normal healthy kitten. Plays non-stop, eats fine, and sleeps.

The Vet was young and not very helpful. He seemed nervous telling me and didn't really give me much information, except that I could euthanize him, which I don't want to do.

Any advice?

by Anonymousreply 2907/03/2013

It says on your Wiki page ...but FIV is not typically fatal for cats, as they can live relatively healthily as carriers and transmitters of the disease for many years."

Do you have other cats, OP? If you don't, fight for your new kitten. Don't give up. Watch carefully his or her quality of life. Best, best of luck. Every kitten deserves a chance.

by Anonymousreply 107/02/2013

OP, I work with a cat rescue group that gets a few FIV positive kittens & cats every year. These people's experience has been that an otherwise healthy cat can usually live a normal life (preferably indoors without stress). The disease isn't transmitted casually, so even living with other animals is OK as long they don't bite each other. If your kitten stays indoors & is well cared for (diet, med checkups), it should do fine.

I recently spent some time with one of the group's FIV positive cats & she was great -- beautiful coat, affectionate, alert & curious, good appetite -- I wouldn't have known about her condition if I hadn't been told. Just take good care of your kitten as you would any other pet & I expect you'll both be happy.

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2013

[quote]The Vet was young and not very helpful. He seemed nervous telling me and didn't really give me much information, except that I could euthanize him, which I don't want to do.

The vet sounds like a moron. Keep the kitten and find a new vet. Maybe even run the test again.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

I agree with, r4.

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2013

Get a second opinion.

I had a terrier that constantly licked his paw. The old vet I used to take him to, said it was arthritis and gave him meds for a year. I researched those meds (forgot the name) and found they could cause kidney failure. I stopped the medication and took my dog to another vet who promptly found a tumor embedded in the dogs paw (dog was furry and did not like me touching his paws so I couldn't have found it).

Second vet took the tumor out and the dog was off the meds for good.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

I agree with R2. FIP is the one to get really worried about, so when you are doing research make sure you aren't confusing the two.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

My ex-bf contracted feline AIDS from our cat.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

I have an 11 and 1/2 year old FIV & FELV positive cat OP, So yes your cat can live a long and healthy life, please see a new Vet, as the one you saw seems incompetent. It is best to keep the cat indoors at all times because it can spread the disease through fighting, and it will be more susceptible to sickness and diseases because its immune system is weaker than a normal cats. You will want to feed it a quality catfood such as Fromm, you will want to keep its weight up, do not feed it low cal pet food, because your cat can get too thin too fast when ill, Keep it indoors, buy cat toys, and a cat tree to keep it from getting bored. You can get a puppy or other small pet to be companions with it, but another cat is a not an option as the disease is transmitted from cat to cat, and even if you got another positive cat, they could make each other sick as they may inflict wounds on each other that may not heal properly. You can also give your cat a cat vitamin, I give mine one every week, twice a week in the fall and winter. Basically if you take proper care of your cat it can lead a perfectly long and healthy life.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

It's the #1 killer of cats!

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

The only thing worse than having to hear about your cats is having to hear about your sick cats.

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

So your cat was a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 1207/02/2013

R7 is right - FIP are the letters to fear. It's a mutation of FIV and speaking from recent recent experience, it's horrible to watch how fast it can take your cat. My kitty had effusive (wet) FIP and in two short months was gone.

Not all cats who have FIV get FIP, and like others have said, can live happy lives with no ill effects.

Definitely find another vet who knows what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

Drama.

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

I strongly urge you to get a second opinion. I had a kitten ten years ago who tested positive for FIV. The vet told me to isolate the kitten from the other cats in the house for six months. I kept the kitten in a big dog carrying cage the entire time. We tested two more times and they were negative. Ten years later the cat is 20 pounds in weight and a ton of love. Get another vet.

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2013

FeLuke is the one to worry about, OP; if itbwere that, I'd put Baby to sleep. Or FIP. But as the others have posted, as long as you keep Baby segregated from other cats, and you keep him healthy and stress-free, he'll be happy and fine. But he may always be thin/underweight.

Good luck, OP, you're a great person. Now go enjoy your new addition.

by Anonymousreply 1607/02/2013

The same happened to me, R13. It was horrible. Still bothers me to this day that I extended my cats life because I was told multiple times she had a respiratory infection. She suffered horribly and looked like something out of a nightmare by the time she was properly diagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

My cat had diabetes and FIV and lived to be 23 years old...He lived with other non-FIV cats and they are still healthy and FIV-free! Fear not--love your cat, because I believe the greater it's happiness, the stronger it's immune system! Best wishes!!!

by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2013

We found out our 8 year old cat had FIV, but only once we brought home our second cat from the shelter. The new cat had cat flu and our older cat got very sick. After a week of treatment he was finally diagnosed with FIV. We had our new cat vaccinated for FIV and keep them indoors at night but otherwise he's the same healthy cat.

by Anonymousreply 1907/02/2013

Kittens can test positive because of antibodies from their mother. You won't know for sure until the kitten is older whether it is truly FIV-positive.

by Anonymousreply 2007/02/2013

I do think a new vet is in order. Not because your kitten will need anything special (which is unlikely), but because your current vet sounds both inexperienced & uneducated.

Of course a young vet might be inexperienced -- but there's no excuse for him not taking the time to read up on this subject, which requires 15 minutes to get the cursory understanding necessary to reassure you. Suggesting euthanasia at this point is irresponsible, & I'd be loathe to trust someone like that for serious advice.

by Anonymousreply 2107/03/2013

Make sure he wears a condom.

by Anonymousreply 2207/03/2013

You all are talking in code, right? This isn't about "cats". OP's new gay boyfriend has the AIDS, and this is your way of discussing such issues with sophisticated metaphor.

Right?

by Anonymousreply 2307/03/2013

So who pointed a gun at your head and forced you to read this thread, dumbass at r11?

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2013

They say it started with African cats but really the government created FIV in a secret lab to wipe out the feline race. Ronald Reagan did nothing to stop it, even though the plague was ravaging out feline communities.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2013

It's "I'd be loath to trust." Loathe is a verb. Just letting you know since I had to look it up the other day myself just to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 2607/03/2013

Somebody's 'kitten' likes taking loads in the back rooms and saunas. What a slut.

by Anonymousreply 2707/03/2013

Remember when nobody EVER took their cat to the vet?

by Anonymousreply 2807/03/2013

Anti-animal people like r11 are dangerous psychopaths to be avoided.

by Anonymousreply 2907/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.