Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think American society respect actors way too much?

Actors and actresses are not revered in the same way and same magnitude anywhere else outside of America. Ya sure entertainment is fun but do you think we give actors and actresses way too much respect? I mean you can easily "fake" your way through. It doesn't require anything outside of being able to read.

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

I was at the supermarket today and Kim Kardashian was on the cover of five (5) magazines. And she is below actor.

Too much of a celebration of the brainless. It is political. To make people stupid and unaware of the destruction of society, industry, their country.

by Anonymousreply 107/02/2013

Yes, OP. You're absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2013

Agree with r1. There's a hype-driven emphasis on fame now. Doesn't have much to do with acting, although there's some overlap.

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2013

Respect? No.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

Our cultural interest in celebrity gives people who live in otherwise disparate places and circumstances something in common they can talk about.

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2013

[quote]Actors and actresses are not revered in the same way and same magnitude anywhere else outside of America

Sure they are. Every country has their revered celebrities, some even on a greater magnitude than in the U.S. They may not be famous around the globe, but in their own countries they are sometimes practically gods and goddesses.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

[quote]I mean you can easily "fake" your way through. It doesn't require anything outside of being able to read.

Not if you want to do it well.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

No, but I think the gays do.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

Yes, I long for the old days where actors were driven out of communities and had to sleep in the street.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

Yes, OP. especially with reality people like the Kardashians. They have no talent ability of any kind, and still get treated like movie stars. The celebrity worship is ludicrous. In Touch Magazine has Kim (and the rest of the Kardashians) on every cover for the last 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

Not actors or artists necessarily but celebrities if you have even a modicum of fame you have so many people sniffing up your arsehole you won't know what to do with yourself. - I've seen such complete idiots get more attention than they could ever deserve- Losers really with nothing to say other than look at me look at me. we are a narcissistic culture.

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

R9...you're thinking of the Shakespearian years, where actors were treated like 3rd class.

by Anonymousreply 1207/02/2013

Why are we to accept OP's premise? Who is giving these actors such an enormous amount of "respect"?

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

Not true OP, you just have to differentiate a celebrity from an actor!

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.