Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What makes Orlando Bloom so forgettable?

I remember a friend of mine obsessing over him because he was hot. I recall him being in Lord of the Ring, Pirates of Carribean, and Troy. My goodness, that's an awful lot of hit movies, so why have he completely vanished from the spotlight? He is a mediocre actor after all, so he should have some staying power.

by Anonymousreply 4907/04/2013

Henry Cavill should pay attention - this is his career in 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 107/02/2013

He has a couple of movies coming out, and he's in the Tolkien franchise Hobbit movies reprising his Elf role. Poor Orlando. I have to wonder if he'll ever play a 21st century person again.

He did 3 Lord of the Rings movies, he did the Pirates franchise, wisely opting out after 3 films, and he had Kingdom of Heaven.

The last thing he did was a real crapfest. Terrible movie. Three Musketeers. Atrocious. You have to wonder what makes people finance crap like that. He really doesn't need to work anymore but he could at least chose his projects a lot smarter than he has been.

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2013

Franchise fame is fleeting. Especially when you're as interesting as cardboard to watch.

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2013

He's a vacuous starlet. Every sequence with him and without Depp in Pirates is like a mini-intermission.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

He was only ever notable for being the pretty one amongst the Fellowship.

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2013

A lot of people who fell for the elegant blond elf of Mirkwood are less interested in yet another scruffy Brit actor. Especially when there are a lot of scruffy Brit actors around who can either act better than Orlando or have more charisma.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

He's not a very good actor, and he doesn't have any charisma. You have to have one or the other, and preferably both, to make it long term. He wasn't castable as someone from the 21st century, either, which limited his roles. You also won't get many parts as you age if you're eternally boyish. Casting directors prefer more manly types for lead roles once you get past 30. Cavill, at least, is masculine, but I agree he has many of the same problems.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

Movie Stars 101

MALE.

Women (and gay men) want to fuck him. CHECK

Men (and lesbians) want to be him. EPIC FAIL

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

[quote]Cavill, at least, is masculine

In what world? A forced deep voice and muscles don't make someone masculine.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

I like Henry Cavill without the muscles.

I haven't followed Orlando for so long. I'm not sure if he has any movies coming out or not. I'm not even interested in checking it out.

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

I've seen a lot of Cavill's older stuff, like I Capture The Castle, and he's masculine even with his normal voice and a more realistic body. I'm with R 10 in finding him less attractive with the steroid muscles. The fact that he's gay doesn't mean he's not masculine. Cavill can easily play men his own age even if he's not the world's greatest actor. Would anyone buy Bloom as a 30something leading man? Judging by his career, apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

Seems like a nice guy, though.

by Anonymousreply 1207/02/2013

Please don't compare Orlando Bloom to this Cavill guy. Orlando had a little more charisma and personality compared to this madame wax figure.

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

He just needs to be in a gay movie. Even if the rumours of him being gay gets too much, he'll still have that attention.

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

r14 He'll turn into Jake Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2013

Harder to find a part but he'd be great playing transgender. He's so pretty I can't find him attractive as a man. Bet he'd be gorgeous as a woman.

by Anonymousreply 1607/02/2013

There's something flat and bland about both Bloom and Cavill. It's not going to change.

Movie Stars 101 at R8 is correct, both are required to be a "really real" movie star (as Natalie Wood used to call them).

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

"He's so pretty I can't find him attractive as a man. Bet he'd be gorgeous as a woman."

The problem is he no longer looks like a girl. He was gorgeous when he looked like a girl. There are some scenes in the LOTR films when he is indistinguishable from a beautiful woman. Even straight guys were attracted to him. Now, he looks like a scruffy, dirty Brit hipster.

by Anonymousreply 1807/03/2013

You forget him because he's married to a Victoria's Secret model and you can't fantasize that he's gay like every other actor discussed unceasingly on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1907/03/2013

He doesn't have any acting talent. Which would be okay if he had charisma and that 'It factor' that makes people remember him and want to watch him. Or if he was an interesting, eccentric guy that people remember. But he doesn't have any of that either.

by Anonymousreply 2007/03/2013

He's married to a Victoria's Secret model who is fucking Leonardo DiCaprio, among others.

Straight or gay - he's not interesting. He doesn't hold the screen enough to be a long-term movie star. If he takes supporting roles, as he did with the dreadful "Three Musketeers" movie, he'll have a career.

by Anonymousreply 2107/03/2013

he fucking killed me in that episode of EXTRAS where he's flabbergasted that Maggie isn't hot for him.

by Anonymousreply 2207/03/2013

He and Viggo Mortensen had an LTR. Orlando's not straight by any means.

by Anonymousreply 2307/03/2013

R23, that reads like a blurb for slash fiction.

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2013

The problem was Elizabethtown, which would have killed anyone's career stone dead.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2013

Their love was important to a lot of us, R24. Still is, actually.

by Anonymousreply 2607/03/2013

He just doesn't have what it takes for a long career. Really. I'm serious. Stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 2707/03/2013

I saw him in the first LotR movie and wasn't impressed by his looks. He's attractive in some angles, but in many angles he looks average to ug. It's his mouth area.

Not saying I'm better looking, just that he has never been compelling to me. There are a few great shots of him on google with thick wavy hair - that's when he looks his best.

by Anonymousreply 2807/03/2013

You need to have at least two interesting traits to be a memorable celebrity, bet it talent, charisma, attractiveness, humor, tabloid-friendly personal life, ect. Bloom only has his looks, and just being hot isn't enough for longevity when it comes to an acting career.

by Anonymousreply 2907/03/2013

[quote] why have he completely vanished from the spotlight? He is a mediocre actor after all, so he should have some staying power.

Rare combination "contradict yourself" plus "answer your own question. " High degree of difficulty,

by Anonymousreply 3007/03/2013

I don't find him forgettable at all. I think he has charisma and should do comedy.

I loved him pretty and I love him scruffy.

by Anonymousreply 3107/03/2013

His name sounds like a stripper's stage name.

by Anonymousreply 3207/03/2013

He was cute and is still alright now I guess. But he is best known for franchises that he wasn't even the main character or made a super big impression since those movies all had more memorable actors and characters. For movies that he stars in himself they aren't really good or a blockbuster movie. Also he isn't that really a good actor, which of course isn't always a requirement to become a leading man in Hollywood. I guess he just doesn't have anything much his PR people can market to the world.

by Anonymousreply 3307/03/2013

He's a multi-millionaire, why would he need to work?

He and Miranda Kerr also have a child together, so maybe he's just focussing on being a babydaddy right now?

Also, he's much prettier with dark wavy hair; the Elven blonde look did NOT suit him imo.

And thank you, R24 & R26.

by Anonymousreply 3407/03/2013

He'll never be the star that Ryan Pinkston is.

by Anonymousreply 3507/03/2013

lol

by Anonymousreply 3607/03/2013

His career's in such decline that he's about to land on Broadway in a revival of Romeo & Juliet. Has he got the chops for that?

by Anonymousreply 3707/03/2013

I suspect he's not very ambitious. He doesn't seem to be able to carry films as a lead, but he could do supporting roles if wanted the work, or needed the money.

I did like him in the 'Pirates' movies, the puppy eyes were good for male ingénue roles.

by Anonymousreply 3807/03/2013

[quote] You forget him because he's married to a Victoria's Secret model and you can't fantasize that he's gay like every other actor discussed unceasingly on DL.

She's a horrible attention whore. Have you ever heard her voice? It's HIDEOUS. I'd slit my wrists if I were him.

by Anonymousreply 3907/03/2013

His wife is a bitch that recommends women to be submissive so their husbands can feel strong. I'm guessing Orlando might be trying to get his manliness back after his elf movies by marrying a ho model like her. He is young, he'll be divorcing her soon enough

by Anonymousreply 4007/03/2013

You obviously did not see any of the pandemonium on the internet over his return in the hobbit OP, he is not forgotten, and many have been waiting for him to return to main stream films. He has been low key because he choose to be. He took a 3 year break after the last POTC film and did a play, much to his talent reps chagrin, he actually got sued by his former talent reps for not upholding his commitments (aka making them money) it was later settled out of court. I respect him for that actually. He seemed burned out, and stressed back then, and kudos to him for having the courage to step away from the lime light. He has made some independent films since then, and has won over critics. He did an amazing job in the Good Doctor for instance. He also settled down and had a kid, I don't know if it will last as she seems kind of fame hungry though.

by Anonymousreply 4107/03/2013

Speaking of the Hobbit-

Lee Pace as Thranduil

Richard Armitage as Thorin

Luke Evan as Bard

Orlando as Legolas

Evangeline Lilly as (token elf girl)

Steven Fry as Master of Laketown

Ian Mckellan As Gandolf

Elijah as Frodo

Most gay cast ever?

by Anonymousreply 4207/03/2013

Do you remember how awful he was in Troy? I'm amazed he can still get work!

by Anonymousreply 4307/03/2013

He's nice looking but bland. Nothing truly memorable about him. He could easily walk down any street and not be recognized.

by Anonymousreply 4407/03/2013

I think he has lots of charisma, and he seems like a sweet person. He is Lawrence Olivier compared to all the other "it" boys that came after him such as Rpats.

by Anonymousreply 4507/04/2013

[quote]He is Lawrence Olivier compared to all the other "it" boys that came after him such as Rpats.

Or Henry Cavill

by Anonymousreply 4607/04/2013

A year from now he'll be a celebrity judge on RuPaul's Drag Race. Such is the way of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 4707/04/2013

What are his qualifications for that, R47?

by Anonymousreply 4807/04/2013

R48, He's alive.

by Anonymousreply 4907/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.