Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Allen West wants to teach Lady Gaga a lesson

Former Republican Congressman Allen West of Florida lashed out at singer Lady Gaga on Monday for “defiling” the U.S. National Anthem.

“We are the land of the free because America has always been the home of the brave from Lexington and Concord to Kandahar,” he wrote on his Facebook page. “This young lady should be taken to Ft. McHenry and given a history lesson as to why Francis Scott Key wrote those words incredible words [sic].”

Lady Gaga sang The Star-Spangled Banner at the New York Gay Pride Parade on Friday, but replaced “star-spangled banner” with “star-spangled flag of pride” and replaced “home of the brave” with “home for the gays.”

Though some might view the ability to artistically re-interpret and revise the National Anthem as a hallmark of American freedom, West is not of that opinion. Changing the lyrics was an attack on the nation.

“In this week where we remember the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg and the 237th anniversary of our Independence is further evidence of the level of ignorance and disrespect some have for our national character,” West added. “She and all those who cheered her abomination should be ashamed and apologize to every serving and retired member of our Armed Services. But perhaps I ask too much…”

Lady Gaga is by no means to first musician to face accusations of dishonoring the National Anthem by altering it. Psychedelic rocker Jimi Hendrix — an Air Force veteran — previously stirred up controversy by blasting out a trippy rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner at Woodstock in 1969. Long before Jimi, composer Igor Stravinsky was confronted by police for tampering with The Star-Spangled Banner in the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 3207/03/2013

He forgets that many in the armed forces are gay. Or ignores it. He also forgets that the activities of the armed forces are led by politics rather than some pseudo holy Americanism.

by Anonymousreply 107/02/2013

This is what we get when we have partisan politicians (and losers who lost re-election) trying to divide Americans.

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2013

Who is Alan West?

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2013

God, I think we may have yet another conservative attention whore on our hands.

Palin really opened the floodgates.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

[quote] I can't imagine someone just putting their spin on God Save The Queen.

I can.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

The attention whores are worse than Lady Gaga. They are in it for their own publicity sake. When these losers lose, they can't accept the fact that they are losers so they continue to spout the same crap that got them labeled as losers.

Sarah Palin is the major example of this. She promoted her knocked-up daughter as the model of abstinence to keep herself in the limelight.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

A Brit, not Bostonian, Mr. Fancy Pants.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

That's "Miss Disgraced Former Republican Congressman" Alan West to you, bitch.

Same nutjob who compared reporting rapes in the military to the Jewish Holocaust. Assaulted his ex-wife. Just so you know where his brain is.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

What does it say when someone is too insane even for FL?

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

Back to Free Republic with the asswipe at R5. You're not wanted here.

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

"I can't imagine someone just putting their spin on God Save The Queen."

We can!

The Sex Pistols

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

A chilling question, R10.

I'm glad that Allen West is keeping his crazy, fat ass in the news. He energizes their ever-shrinking base. They will continue to demand ideological "purity" from their candidates.

"Smart" Republicans realize that extremist loonies like West are doing serious damage to their party. There's nothing they can do about it, they rely on those loons to win state and local elections. They're between a rock and a hard place and it serves them right.

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

[quote]Former

[quote]Republican

[quote]Congressman

[quote]Allen West

[quote]of Florida

Did he give a speech at Walmart?

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2013

When was the last time a Republican ever taught anybody anything?

by Anonymousreply 1607/02/2013

Who cares.

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

The correct title for him is Recently Voted Out of Office Loon Allen West.

by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2013

Isn't this the fuckhead who barely avoided a court martial for torture - I'm sorry, enhanced interrogation tactics - during his heroic tour in Iraq?

That Allen West?

by Anonymousreply 1907/03/2013

Tea Baggers love Allen West because he assures them that they are not racist.

by Anonymousreply 2007/03/2013

Neocons are tiresome in thinking they have the copyright on patriotism.

..then again, Lada Gaga is tiresome and idiotic enough to think insulting most of the country, both gay and straight was an adequate substitute for being 'edgy' and showing solidarity with a demographic she clearly enjoys exploiting for her own benefit.

I wish she'd go the fuck away already, and take Allen West with her.

by Anonymousreply 2107/03/2013

I was standing in front of the Supreme Court a week ago this morning. We had just heard the ruling at this point and were celebrating.

Know who wasn't there? Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 2207/03/2013

The Star Spanglededed Banner -The definitive Shirley Q. Liquor rendition:

by Anonymousreply 2307/03/2013

Kandahar is not in America. More proof that the guy is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2013

[quote]I can't imagine someone just putting their spin on God Save The Queen.

Numerous composers have used "God Save The Queen" as a theme for their music.

In 1976, our National Anthem was used in numerous musical compositions. One of my favorites "This Is A Time For Celebration" by a disco group, Faith, Hope and Charity, also used "America the Beautiful" as part of the theme.

In 1986, there was a new verse added to the National Anthem for the rededication of the Statue of Liberty.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2013

Lady Gaga is a stupid cunt. We don't need her help.

by Anonymousreply 2607/03/2013

"National Emblem" is a march composed in 1902 and published in 1906 by Edwin Eugene Bagley. It is a standard of the American march repertoire, appearing in eleven published editions.

Bagley incorporates into the march the first twelve notes of The Star-Spangled Banner played by Euphoniums and Trombones and ingeniously disguised in duple rather than triple time. The rest of the notes are all Bagley’s, including the four short repeated A-flat major chords that lead to a statement by the low brass that is now reminiscent of our national anthem.

The U.S. military uses the trio section as ceremonial music for the color guard when presenting and retiring the colors.

John Philip Sousa was once asked to list the three most effective street marches ever written. Not surprisingly, Sousa listed two of his own compositions, but for the third, he selected "National Emblem".

by Anonymousreply 2707/03/2013

"Festival Overture on the Star-Spangled Banner" by Dudley Buck, 1879. The National Anthem is woven all through this classical music selection.

by Anonymousreply 2807/03/2013

[quote]When was the last time a Republican ever taught anybody anything?

They've taught me that while evolution cannot be witnessed via the naked eye, devolution can - just watch the RNC.

by Anonymousreply 2907/03/2013

[quote]..then again, Lada Gaga is tiresome and idiotic enough to think insulting most of the country, both gay and straight was an adequate substitute for being 'edgy' and showing solidarity with a demographic she clearly enjoys exploiting for her own benefit.

How nice it is that you work overtime at the HRC HQ.

by Anonymousreply 3007/03/2013

[quote]Lady Gaga is a stupid cunt. We don't need her help.

Madge, your hands are showing!

by Anonymousreply 3107/03/2013

I thought the acapella version was quite charming.

And for the tards, go sing My Country Tis of Thee.

by Anonymousreply 3207/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.