Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama's support for gay marriage?

Yes, we're pawns once again. Only this time, we're reaping the benefits but will it last?

I was talking to someone last night who used to work for Department of Homeland Security in a fairly high-level position. He also worked for several defense contractors in the past.

He told me that the reason Obama is on the gay marriage bandwagon now, AND, the reason that the judiciary SEEMS to be supporting gay rights more than ever before is to create the ILLUSION of liberty and freedom at a time when they're eliminating our freedoms and liberties right and left.

He said the defense contractors are growing so massive that most of them are migrating from Maryland to Northern Virginia,,,every big military contractor is deciding to make the move to Virginia, the new home of the global military industrial complex because Virginia is much more favorably disposed to defense spending which is essential for the military to grow this behemoth. And then there is the DHS biggest-ever domestic spying lab in Utah.

Being gay (closeted when he worked for DHS) himself, he had to leave because he couldn't live with himself with the knowledge that he was supporting such a corrupt and fucked up system

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

Bush and Cheney wanting to strip us of freedoms, I can see. Why would Obama jump on their bandwagon?

I'm not convinced. Especially because it's word of mouth from some anonymous guy on the net who heard it from an anonymous guy

by Anonymousreply 107/02/2013

Oh, and he also weighed in about Snowden. He said the whole thing makes absolutely no sense. Information is very compartmentalized, disseminated on a need to know basis only. Even those with top security clearance only have access to information they need to do their job. That's one reason he finds the Snowden thing so unbelievable.

The other is that the government has the capability to focus in on anyone, anywhere on earth, whether they're hiding in a cave, or at the bottom of the sea, submerged in a submarine.

If Snowden were for real, there would be a hit placed on him right away, and Snowden wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell. In other words, this is some sort of psy-op and Snowden is a player, just as Assange is.

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2013

It's all one bandwagon, R1, for the most part, especially when it comes to military and "defense". If Obama doesn't play the game, Obama will meet the fate of JFK. He even admitted that much.

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2013

I believe this. There is always a political reason or strategy underlying a politican's stand on any issue.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

Obama has always been pro-marriage-equality. He was vocally so before going into the Illinois Senate.

He adopted the "evolving" position publicly for political reasons... actually he was waiting for the rest of society to catch up. And he got out in front of it with vocal support, and ended up helping lead on the issue.

The notion that his position is nothing but political expediency, or that he was ever anti-gay, is just patently ignorant and absurd.

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2013

I really don't think the powers that be give a damn about gay marriage (though they often have to pretend to be against it to get elected).

The only people obsessed with preventing gay marriage are power-hungry relgious freaks who use homophobia as a marketing tool.

Whatever. I'm still euphoric over the recent pro-gay decisions. Imagine how disheartened we'd all be if it had gone the other direction?

Still, it's depressing that our happiness often depends on one vote.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

[quote] The other is that the government has the capability to focus in on anyone, anywhere on earth, whether they're hiding in a cave, or at the bottom of the sea, submerged in a submarine.

And yet your 'friend' wasn't worried about blabbing to some ninny who would go post it all on datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

I don't think Obama is anti-gay in the least. All I'm saying is that there is a political reason for the few steps forward that we've seen recently. Whether it's Obama's acceptance of gay marriage or the judiciary's acceptance.

In fact, I'm one who believes Obama might be gay. All I'm saying is that political motivations underlie the progress we've seen, and it can always be reversed.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

R6, I don't think you get it. Gays are political pawns that get to move ahead when it suits the purposes of the elite, and that get knocked back when it serves the purposes of the elite.

Read up on the history of the "gay marriage" issue and look who got the ball rolling. None other than Richard Mellon Scaife, the most conservative bastard alive. Why? In order to revive the Christian right. Same with the abortion issue.

Politicans don't give a damn either way. They stand for what benefits them and/or their agenda.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

R9, you're kind of an idiot.

Yes, we're a political football of convenience for right-wing whackos. For them, almost EVERYTHING is a political football of convenience.

To assert that the left feels exactly the same way and "uses" us in the same way is just stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!