Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who has been to Oklahoma?

Rodgers and Hammerstein made it sound so lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2607/03/2013

They tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 107/02/2013

I've driven through it all the way through twice. It's basically exactly how I'd always imagined it: with the exceptions of two small cities (Oklahoma City and Tulsa), most of it is just a bunch of endless, flat fields.

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2013

I grew up there and eventually escaped. Dreadful place.

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2013

Complete and total lack of zoning laws. You'll see churches next to gas stations, strip clubs next to day care centers, junkyards next to hospitals--you get the idea.

Also, the red clay discolors everything. A white car will be pink after a year. I made the mistake of buying a used car from there once, and the entire underside was covered in that red clay. There must have been 75 pound of the stuff, and it it was like concrete. It literally had to be chipped off.

Just as trashy as you imagine, but you also see the most amazingly beautiful people from time to time. There's something about the gene pool, maybe the touch of Native American blood, that creates some stunning human beings, both male and female.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

Please tell us more R4

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2013

It's very pretty in the NE with red hills with short scruffy trees. Also on the southern border (the Arbuckle Mountains).

Otherwise it's flat and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

Is it a state targeted by Mormons, like AZ and NV and ID?

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

I grew up in Oklahoma. The cops are the perfect example of "Good ole boy" syndrome. I knew closeted friends who witnessed the cops commit murder and then blame it on the victim. Police brutality is rampant.

Bullying is tolerated in schools as a rite of growing up.

Racism abounds, towns are mostly segregated. For example, in Tulsa, most minorities lived Northside, with the south being white suburbia.

The extreme cold during the winters and the extreme humid heat during the summers make new potholes every year. People are very friendly to you until they discover you are not one of the following 1) christian 2) white 3) straight.

It's very flat which makes for tornadoes, but it suffers from flash floods even more. The economy is dismal, the oil industry that OKC and Tulsa were built on has dried up and never really recovered. There's little else to do but strip mall jobs. Maybe some telemarketing that hasn't shipped overseas yet.

Weed is very popular because there is no other source of entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

The state reeks of the foul odor of "okie."

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

Very thorough description, r8, but you forgot to mention if the guys are hot!

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

Tulsa is for architecture queens

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

It may be the most conservative state in the union--it runs neck and neck with Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 1207/02/2013

[quote]Weed is very popular because there is no other source of entertainment.

They don't have movies? bars? sports? concerts?

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

[quote]People are very friendly to you until they discover you are not one of the following 1) christian 2) white 3) straight.

How long does it take for them to find out someone's not white?

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

I used to travel hwy 69 on the east side of the state. Lovely picturesque route. The landscape is not dramatic but is satisfying with the shadows on the mesas. Lake of the Cherokees and Miami Oklahoma are places I like.

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2013

No R13. Not enough to be a diversion from the state being such a shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 1607/02/2013

While the musical "Oklahoma" may have made Oklahoma seem lovely, the stage production of "August: Osage County" made it seem dreadful.

I belive "August: Osage County" got it right.

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

Not long R16. If they don't like you, they bomb your ass.

by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2013

OK is the reddest state in the nation. Redneck, bigoted, homphobic Repugs run the place. Stay the hell out.

by Anonymousreply 1907/02/2013

This Broadway song is a much more accurate representation of the state.

by Anonymousreply 2007/02/2013

Multiculturalism.

by Anonymousreply 2107/02/2013

We have BOTH kinds of music: country AND western.

by Anonymousreply 2207/02/2013

[quote]How long does it take for them to find out someone's not white?

A lot of minorities pass for white. American Indians for example.

[quote]Don't they have movies, bars, sports, concerts?

Bars are mostly dead across America. There are movie theaters and an occasional concert, but it's not like it's something you can do every weekend. There's college sports in the two big cities, but no major sports team or stadium.

It's mostly flat lands and cows. And weed.

by Anonymousreply 2307/02/2013

[quote]no major sports team

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2013

You need to watch "Pioneer Woman" on Food Network.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2013

I like cows, I think they are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 2607/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.