Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Walking Dead questions ... continued.

We're seeing promotions for the next season now, so once again shall we resume the practice of questioning the survival tactics of the DeadUniverse and how we would do it better? Ask your "Why didn't they think of that?" questions here.

I'll start. We haven't seen any evidence that the zombies can swim. There are lakes and rivers, and canals all over the Country. Why hasn't anyone taken to travelling by boat up/down river? They could travel across vast areas of the country pretty quickly.

Hell all they would have to do is find one good house boat and lay anchor in a lake somewhere- they could sleep in peace.

This is something primitive people did long ago.

by Anonymousreply 3807/04/2013

?

by Anonymousreply 107/02/2013

I think about the book World War Z regarding zombies and water. Water can be safe, except that zombies are just walking around on the bottom. So - if you were in a shallow area, they could just grab you or swarm the boat. They tried that in the book without much success.

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2013

We also have not seen any evidence that zombies can't swim.

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2013

How can zombies walk on the bottom? I am envisioning that in deep water. Do you mean just in shallow areas? I don't think they could walk on the bottom in deep water, they would just float to the top.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

R2 here. I think that they kinda jump hung out in the water submerged. Whether they were walking or swimming, I do not know. They were just hazardous because you could not see them until you we basically over them/touching them, and then they would just grab you and pull you in.

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2013

In that George Romero movie with Simon Baker and John Leguizamo (Land of the Dead, I think), the zombies could walk in water since they didn't need oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

I wish AMC had the balls to make Rick and Daryl a couple.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

Not r2 but I could imagine that, like corpses, the Zombies would float at first but then ingest / saturate with enough water to make them sink?

Still they couldn't move very fast.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

Zombies don't have to breathe.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

In Max Brooks' "Zombie Survival Guide" and "World War Z," it was established that zombies could survive underwater and walk along the bottom of bodies of water. Though I would assume that they couldn't survive the extreme pressure of deep lakes, seas and oceans.

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

Way to read the point, r9.

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

You could also use the concept of the moat. Dig a deep trench around your area. You don't have to fill it with water. Just make it 10 feet deep. Zombies fall in but they can't get out. Shoot em.

During the next zombie apocalypse, I'm going to use this strategy. But I'll do it early on, when gasoline is still fresh. Then find a backhoe.

And doesn't gasoline degrade? Won't the survivors run out of usable gas soon?

by Anonymousreply 1207/02/2013

Yes. Gasoline does degrade.

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

I thought of the moat concept too. Hell, instead of wasting bullets you could add some spike in there to keep them from crawling out and eventually the stench might be band enough to cover the smell of the living and ward off the other dead.

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

The whole "Night of the Living Dead" generated idea of animated corpses that eat the living is so preposterous that you might as well have the survivors riding flying unicorns that fart glitter as far as the concepts of logic and plausibility go.

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2013

I find the 28 days concept much more terrifying. Those zombies didn't need to eat anything. There were just undead, highly violent, highly contagious animated killing machines.

Much more effective.

by Anonymousreply 1607/03/2013

How can you try and rationalize zombies? Just go with the fun.

Theoretically, zombies with missing limbs, or missing the entire lower half would lose all their blood. The skin would then become hard and brittle.

If zombies ever did become a reality, they wouldn't last more than what a couple of months? Skin needs moisture.

For the Walking Dead zombies, it's something that takes over the brain and moves the zombie around, so there's no heart beat, so there's no pulse, so there's no blood flow. It's scientifically impossible to have that kind of zombie exist.

So just go with the flow and quit questioning the reality of any aspect of it.

by Anonymousreply 1707/03/2013

maybe something in their zombie disease causes the blood to remain in a liquid state, regardless of lack of blood flow.

by Anonymousreply 1807/03/2013

Supernatural zombies, and remember that Romero never provides a source or explanation, are dead and science is irrelevant. Because there are about a million reasons a walking corpse would last only a couple of days at best. The world is awash in things that would eat us quickly or degrade us just as quickly if our systems weren't protectively contained and constantly fighting them off (and those systems and containments don't last for squat without nourishment and no heartbeat means no nourishment). So if no supernatural factor is keeping the bodies going, they won't last.

28 Days Later guys aren't undead, they are victims of the RAGE virus. Thus 28 Weeks Later they are all dead from starvation.

by Anonymousreply 1907/03/2013

r15 will be the first bitch the zombies eat

by Anonymousreply 2007/03/2013

I've always wondered what the zombies do with all the flesh they eat. It won't be digested. The laws of physics demand that at some point the stomach and esophagus would be full. Does the zombie continue to feel a compulsion to eat at that point?

by Anonymousreply 2107/03/2013

r21, when they dissected the zombie in Season Two it did appear that the whole digestive tract was full and functioning all the way down. That means zombies absorb nutrients and ZOMBIES SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 2307/03/2013

Why? They dead.

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2013

When the Zombie ate Rick's wife Lori, he did not appear to digest it. She just kinda sat is his stomach, all chewed and undigested.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2013

The zombies don't derive nutrients from the flesh they eat. The organism that infected them does.

by Anonymousreply 2607/03/2013

"The whole "Night of the Living Dead" generated idea of animated corpses that eat the living is so preposterous that you might as well have the survivors riding flying unicorns that fart glitter as far as the concepts of logic and plausibility go."

In a quantum universe it isn't so far fetched. In fact any of those things are possible.

Do we actually have to die? Nope. It's just no one has lived forever yet.

by Anonymousreply 2707/03/2013

Why can't that organism eat the zombie's own flesh? It's not as if they need it. They dead.

by Anonymousreply 2807/03/2013

Because it's dead flesh. Zombies need the fresh flesh of the living.

by Anonymousreply 2907/03/2013

Ridiculous... zombies are just ridiculous.

They're dead, they're decomposing, they don't breathe, don't need a cirulatory system and yet, yet! their digestive systems work... of course they shit and piss (that's never been shown). Apparently zombies just wander about pissing in their pants and leaving dump after dump in their shorts. You'd smell them a mile away and never be surprised by their presence.

If I use a shotgun and destroy the zombies intestinal tract, the zombie just keeps going... no nutrition needed! He can chew and chew and chew and have that fall out of his body, but it doesn't matter!

Oh yea, if you go to an island... well, we can fix that too! Zombies can walk under water because they're dead and don't breathe... they don't float, they just sink and even under water can apparently "smell" the living above them. of course, they don't breathe, but they can smell! Yes, even under water.

Here's the deal with zombies... it gives creative "geniuses" a simple way to produce graphically violent TV and movies. That all there is to this... money - the more graphic the carnage, the better! The public eats it up.

"Hey America, here's a stupid storyline, but it's really violent, so come and spend $12 to see WWZ - pay more for your cable to see TWD on AMC."

by Anonymousreply 3007/03/2013

We're sacrificing you first, R30, when the zombie apocalypse comes.

by Anonymousreply 3107/03/2013

It's implausible, but no more "stupid" than Dracula, XMen, Godzilla, Iron Man, etc.

It's just entertainment. Not all entertainment has to be realistic.

[quote]If I use a shotgun and destroy the zombies intestinal tract, the zombie just keeps going... no nutrition needed! He can chew and chew and chew and have that fall out of his body, but it doesn't matter!

In the Walking Dead, you can remove the arms and jaw of a zombie and it will lose the desire to eat. It becomes docile and you can lead it around on a leash making it carry your backpacks.

by Anonymousreply 3207/03/2013

[quote]We're sacrificing you first, [R30], when the zombie apocalypse comes.

They'll be using your intestines for dental floss R30. Let's see how cocky you are then, Mr. Snotty.

by Anonymousreply 3307/03/2013

If that were true r19, Alec Baldwin would be well on his way to zombification. The Paparazzi wouldn't know what bit them.

by Anonymousreply 3407/03/2013

In Romero's "Night of the Living Dead," the suspected cause of the reanimation of the dead was radiation.

by Anonymousreply 3507/03/2013

[quote] And I said, zombies can swim and zombies swam. You're going to need a new strategy [R12].

And if you actually read what R12 said, you would know that you don't need to fill the trench with water. Simply make it deep enough that the zombies can't get out of, then shoot. The zombies are half decomposed as it is, shoot them and they will decompose faster.

The Walking Dead showed that zombies can't climb out of deep cesspools. A deep trench is good enough.

by Anonymousreply 3607/04/2013

Parasites are a scary concept that is real. Flys, wasps, etc lay eggs in the flesh of other insects and animals. They devour the insect/animal as they grow.

We have boring parasites that infect humans. But imagine a botfly that grows to be 9 or 10 inches in diameter in two days time. Lots of boils all over your body that will take huge chunks of flesh out of you in two days if not excised.

The invasion of the body snackers.

I would like to see that show. People being devoured as they are still alive. And science hasn't figured out a way to excise the botfly larvae without killing the person, because it excretes a heparin-like substance when it is removed, causing a person to hemorrhage to death. And Vitamin K doesn't have any effect on the substance.

by Anonymousreply 3707/04/2013

[quote]Here's the deal with zombies... it gives creative "geniuses" a simple way to produce graphically violent TV and movies. That all there is to this... money - the more graphic the carnage, the better! The public eats it up.

Actually, the deal is that zombies are a powerful metaphor for commenting on the state of American society (groupthink, mind-numbing non-stop entertainment and obsessive consumerism), on humanity's fear of death and on the nature of evil.

[quote]In the Walking Dead, you can remove the arms and jaw of a zombie and it will lose the desire to eat. It becomes docile and you can lead it around on a leash making it carry your backpacks.

I think it loses its ability to eat and to attack, not its desire. However, these "neutered" zombies don't die, so zombies don't have any biological imperative to eat human flesh. Also, zombies survive long periods without eating but then awaken with the compulsion to eat.

I think the real deal with zombies is that you shouldn't think very deeply about what makes them tick because the writers don't seem to have done so. It would make much more sense if zombies eventually starve to "death" when deprived of flesh for extended periods of time.

by Anonymousreply 3807/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.