Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pretentious NYC Cycling Studio SOUL CYCLE - Are these bitches kidding?!?

I've been doing aerobic cycling/Spin classes since the early 2000s and recently decided to give up my gym membership since I have my own space at home, but I miss and need Spinning.

For the first time, I decided to look into Soul Cycle, a chain here in New York and apparently with other locations in big cities.

I went into one location about a year ago and the staff was over the top snotty and obnoxious. I figured it was just a one time thing but calling these guys yesterday for info., I received the same nasty, snotty attitude. AND they charge nearly $35 for ONE CLASS!!! Seriously. How the fuck does this place stay in business?!? I suppose they cater to a wealthy crowd but come on!

And check out the photos of their NYC instructors. Once I looked through this I finally realized this place is not for me. But it's really frustrating since I'd have to join a club again to get the benefits of an intense indoor cycling class.

by Anonymousreply 3210/01/2013

My 27 year old son does Soul Cycle. He was a little flabby and out of shape before and he's trimmed down a lot. I agree the price is ridiculous and it seems pretentious but he seems to enjoy it (whereas he'd rarely go to the gym).

by Anonymousreply 107/02/2013

R1, it's really hard for someone really fat/flabby to jump into cycling that way. But since he's young, and assuming he wasn't really obese, I suppose he adjusted to it well.

I know a lot of heavy people who've gotten into it, but as someone who's done it for years and even as a certified instructor myself, I'd recommend doing a few weeks of treadmill before attempting a 'Spin' class.

Glad it's helping your son.. 27 AND into cycling.. He should have his pick of boy/girls if he's that into it. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 207/02/2013

There's an instructor named String?

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2013

That's a lot of instructors.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

Get a spin machine with a built in spin class monitor. My gym has them.

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2013

One of the male instructors is named "Rique."

Soul Cycle is how Chelsea Clinton slimmed down fast before her wedding. I wonder if they gave her attitude when she walked in the first time.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

Isn't snotty, shitty attitudes part of the charm of New York?

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

What a soul-less looking bunch (pardon the pun).

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

It's Equinox Gym's overpriced version of spinning. There's zero difference besides price and eye candy. I saw Jake G coming out of one in Tribeca a month or so ago.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

Isn't Hilaria Baldwin, wife of Alec Baldwin, associated or owner of Soul Cycle?

I could be wrong.

Of course, she owns yoga studios too.

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

I was intrigued but the two Soul Cycle locations nearest to me don't have shower facilities. Who the fuck wants to leave the gym covered in sweat then have to go back home to shower? For $35 a class I expect a hell of a lot more.

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

R2, my son wasn't obese. He was maybe 10-15 lbs overweight, mostly beer gut. He's always been athletic but he works long hours and has gotten out of shape in the past few years. I knew he'd been doing Soul Cycle and I teased him about it but I saw him the other day for the first time in about a week and it really kicked in that he looked great and very fit.

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

No, they don't have showers. I think most of their clientele are, well, not the 9-5 employee types, if you know what I mean. They're well off, famous and/or wealthy types who pop over for a morning or mid-day cycle class without having to mingle among the unwashed masses at the health club.

I get that, I guess... What I don't get is the attitude from them, especially when someone wants to know a little more about their services and is at least considering their high fees.

I'm sure the fees are kept high to "keep the riff raff" away.

Those photos on their site. Seriously, that's some funny shit.

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

$35 for one 45 minute cycling class R15?

by Anonymousreply 1607/02/2013

Seems more "L.A." than NY. Maybe New York is dead.

by Anonymousreply 1808/01/2013

"Instructors"...for riding an exercise bike??

by Anonymousreply 1908/01/2013

OMG! Emily Turner is obviously looking for "clients" judging by that photo.

by Anonymousreply 2008/01/2013

Is this the same place bitches were calling a week in advance to book up bike directly next to Jake G.?

And are those actual instructors or contestants in the biggest Big Brother house in history?

by Anonymousreply 2108/01/2013

They have a location in Marin County (North of SF). Are they just in NYC and Marin or do they have an LA location?

by Anonymousreply 2208/01/2013

Kelly Ripa is addicted.

by Anonymousreply 2308/01/2013

I find Kelly Ripa so hard to look at.

She looks like a walking skeleton.

And her face is shriveled prematurely from extremely low bodyweight.

She has a body like a 9 year old girl.

And she is flat-chested beyond belief - flat as a pancake - from anorexia, lack of eating, extremely low bodyweight.

I find her ugly and skeletal. Can't figure out why she wants to look like that - except it must be to conform to NYC standards of dress size I guess. It is NOT flattering on her though.

by Anonymousreply 2408/01/2013

try $34 a class and $40 FOR A SINGLE CLASS in the Hamptons.

by Anonymousreply 2510/01/2013

Spinning is OVAH, the true fitness comes from rowing. Spinning is just a cardio exercise but rowing encompasses a total and complete low-impact workout that burns DOUBLE the calories of a spinning class.

Spinning is on its way out, and rowing is now the big deal. You can tell a gym is good if they provide rowing machines and/or rowing classes. any gym that touts spinning classes is outdated.

by Anonymousreply 2710/01/2013

Mind your step, OP.

Emily F. looks like she would beat the living shit out of you if you gave her a less than sterling review.

by Anonymousreply 2810/01/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2910/01/2013

[quote] Isn't Hilaria Baldwin, wife of Alec Baldwin, associated or owner of Soul Cycle? I could be wrong. Of course, she owns yoga studios too

I don't know about her and Soul Cycle, but she doesn't own any yoga studio. She works or worked for Yoga Vida

by Anonymousreply 3010/01/2013

OP got his feelings hurt and now we all have to hear about it. Can you guess who rebuffed him?

by Anonymousreply 3110/01/2013

I'm gonna guess that Emily was offended by OP's queeny attitude and gave it right back to him...

by Anonymousreply 3210/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.