Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Alright, how do you pick fruit at the grocery store?

Nothing I do seems to matter. I smell it, thump on it, and so on. I'm interested in watermelon and cantaloupes.

by Anonymousreply 3607/15/2013

Melons? Toss a coin. It's as likely to work as anything else.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

Watermelons.....look for a really heavy one.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

Exactly! I suspect the truth is there's no rhyme or reason. It's all a crapshoot.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

All watermelons are heavy! This is the kind of advice I don't understand. Are there any empirical ways to pick delicious fruit?

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

how to pick a ripe cantaloupe

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

watermelon

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

What kind of fag are you if you don't know how to pick up fruit at the grocery store?

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

The last cantaloupe I purchased tasted perfect to me. Instead of gravitating towards one of the prettier skinned cantaloupes I chose one with a small patch of spider veined crevice indentations near the stem area and had a thin skinned flat side with a hint of yellowy pallor. Hope that helps.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

Ask the guy who works in the produce section. They're usually good at that.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

oranges--heavy

Strawberries--should smell like strawberries

Apples--Firm

Stone fruit--crapshoot

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

When choosing a watermelon, make a fist and knock on it. The one that makes the deepest sound is the ripest. For big watermelons, I like to knock on a couple of different areas to make sure it's uniformly ripe.

For cantaloupe, look for one that has a nice, uniform yellow/orange color and then sniff the top (where the big indentation is). Choose the one that smells sweetest.

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

watermelons: look for one that has a visible pale spot, indicating it has sat out on the vine for longer.

For other melons, most likely you will have to wait to eat them. They should be soft, but not rotten. Shake 'em. You should be able to hear the seeds sloshing around. Finally, the blossom end should be soft but not rotten, and fragrant.

by Anonymousreply 1207/02/2013

Also, instead of knocking on the watermelon, you can flick it with your fingers. It may take a couple of bad watermelons, but you'll eventually get the hang of picking the one that sounds most hollow.

r8 reminded me: for cantaloupe, thin skin is generally better than thicker skin.

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

The watermelon is easy. Somewhere there will be a light colored spot. It is where the melon rested on the ground. That light spot is green to white. When it turns YELLOW, the melon is ripe

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

press the two ends of the watermelon. if its soft, forget it. the inside will have a really nasty pork-like (no pun intended) texture. as for cantelopes, organic ones seem to ripen better. if there is no fruit smell, it generally doesnt taste very good.

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2013

With watermelon, tap them with your fist and the lighter sounding one will be more ripe.

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

R14 is exactly right. You want the lighter spot on a watermelon to be as deep yellow as possible. Never fails.

by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2013

Strawberries should have tight, shiny, red skin with fresh, green stem and leaves at the top.

by Anonymousreply 1907/02/2013

Haas Avocados are very firm and dark green before they're ripe. They'll ripen nicely on your counter, turning nearly black with their bumpy skin as they ripen. When they soften slightly at the narrow end they're ready to use. Or put them in the fridge for up to two or three days.

Slice them into your hot tortilla soup or cold Gazpacho, put them in salads or on sandwiches, or make guacamole. Or eat slices with a scoop of cottage cheese (my favorite.)

by Anonymousreply 2007/02/2013

The best apple variety is HoneyCrisp. They're worth paying extra for, but you have to watch for them. The season tends to be short, and when they're gone, they're gone. The rest of the year I always buy Pink Lady apples for eating. Of course, tart Granny Smiths, or Pippins if you can find them are best for baking.

by Anonymousreply 2107/02/2013

Smell everything, including the fruit seller.

by Anonymousreply 2207/02/2013

I usually look for the one with the biggest bulge and go from there.

by Anonymousreply 2307/02/2013

Lay a finger down on a watermelon and tap the back of it with your other hand, like a doctor percussing your chest or abdomen. Occasionally give a knowing nod. You'll impress all around you.

by Anonymousreply 2407/02/2013

Fortunately the stores I shop for produce don't have orchards or any live vegetable or fruit plants growing and I just pick from the available products. I simply grab the size or amount of the fruits and veggies I want and take them home. Thumping and squeezing is beyond my ability to interpret so I live in little troubling oblivion with regards to specific qualities. When something is terrible and I feel expensive, I take it back and they give me a refund.

Isn't it like this across the country?

I live in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 2507/02/2013

At the supermarket I buy fruit with little stickers on it.

by Anonymousreply 2607/06/2013

Nowadays you have to wash the outside skin of all melons with soap and water due to salmonella and botulism concerns.

why the media doesn't address this is negligent on their part.

When you slice into an unwashed melon you are spreading the bacteria into the fruit.

That's why you should never eat sliced melons at restaurants or parties--you just know that no one has washed them.

by Anonymousreply 2707/06/2013

Two men, one cart, fresh pasta. Figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 2807/06/2013

OP, for a ripe cantaloupe, take the end that was pulled off the vine. Sniff the area where it came off the vine. Not kidding. It should smell the way a ripe cantaloupe smells. If it has no smell or smells weak or odd, skip it. I guarantee you if you find one that smells like ripe cantaloupe it will be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2907/06/2013

tell him you love his highlights and flip-flops?

by Anonymousreply 3007/07/2013

[quote]sniff the top

Does this work for choosing men as well?

by Anonymousreply 3107/07/2013

R31, no. You actually need to smell the bottom. If its musky, then you know it's ripe!!!

by Anonymousreply 3207/07/2013

It's rare you'll find a ripe cantaloupe or honeydew in the produce section, they are almost always removed and cut up, to be sold as chunked fruit. If you're desperate for a ripe cantaloupe(is that possible?), press both thumbs into the flower end of the fruit,(opposite the stem) and sniff deeply. If yu get that lovely sweet 'lope smell, you found yourself a cutter. Otherwise, pick the biggest one. A smoother netting sometimes indicates it'll be a better one. Varieties vary wildly though. Keep it at home, on the countertop, until it begins to go "lumpy". A few little depressions here and there means it's beginning to dehydrate a bit, and the sweet taste we want from a 'lope will be more evident. Wash it thoroughly, I use a VERY dilute dishwashing liquid solution. About 30 seconds should do it, and rinse thoroughly. Honeydews; Again, pick the biggest one. Unripe ones are greenish-white, hard as a brick. They usually change color to a pale, creamy yellow, and the rind feels sticky if you palm it. Remember to wash it. Citrus: Heavy for their size, then you'll know they haven't dried up. Look at the entire display, try to find the odd ones whose rinds look smoother than the majority of the fruit. This is especially important for oranges. Apples: They are fit to eat when yu buy them. Avoid Red Delicious apples like the plague(I wouldn't feed 'em to anyone) Granny Smiths; Gala; HoneyCrisp;YELLOW Delicious, are all great. So many new varieties though, it's hard to keep up with 'em. MacIntosh are nice and sweet, but too soft for my taste. Peaches & Nectarines & Plums: Buy hard, let 'em soften up at home, until they get a bit wrinkled. If you can afford the TREE RIPE ones, do so, infinitely better. Watermelons: Thump several with your forefinger. The duller the sound you hear, the better they are. Watermelons soften up and the cells begin to break down, accounting for the differences in the sound when you thump 'em. Bright yellow patch on the part that laid on the ground can also indicate a good one. Strawberries: Mold-free, obviously. Shiny.No white "shoulders". But ya' GOTTA' sniff 'em. If they don't give yu that nice warm strawberry aroma, pass 'em by. Pears: Buy 'em dead green, ripen 'em at home on the countertop. Put 'em next to bananas if yu want 'em to ripen quickly. The ethylene gas given off by ripening bananas will speed things up(consequently, keep cut flowers far away, if you want 'em to last) Yellow skin may indicate a ripening pear, but since pears ripen from the core OUT, don't let 'em go too long after they are fully yellow. Anjou's and Packham's are the best. Cherries: "The darker the cherry, the sweeter the juice", (for all you "FAME" fans out there) Washington state has it all over California. Kiwis: Let 'em get soft at home. Please peel 'em, you'll enjoy 'em much better. After working 40years in Produce, I learned a few things. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 3307/07/2013

I lived with a Sri Lankan for 13 years. Mangos should be heavy in the hand but soft to the touch getting firmer inwards. They should have a delicious nectar like fragrance, if there is no fragrance it will probably be a disappointing mango.

Jackfruit (if sliced) should be bright golden yellow and fragrant to the point of nearly sickening.

Papayas should smell almost like cheese and should be soft on the outside.

Mangosteens have green stems and leaf-like appendages on top where they connected to their tree, these should be green and not brown and shriveled. The outside of the fruit should be a beautiful purple color, if it looks puckered with cracks or brown spots its old.

Pineapples should have a bright sweet fragrance at the stem end and should give a little. If there is no smell and it is hard to the touch the fruit will be astringent and disappointing, unless you are planning to use it as a vegetable or serve it raw with salt and chili.

by Anonymousreply 3407/07/2013

The best method is the farm method. Use your pocket knife to cut out a small taste of the mellon. If it's not up to your standards repeat until you find one that is.

by Anonymousreply 3507/07/2013

Give it the taste test.

by Anonymousreply 3607/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.