Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you Ambitious?

Where has your ambition gotten you? I'm curious. I know people that have a lot of ambition but it never amounts to anything. And others for whom it has worked.

PS ... I'm asking because I have almost a total lack of ambition. I don't think I've ever set a goal in my life.

by Anonymousreply 1207/03/2013

No. I like to do things well, to put in a good effort and take an understanding of things, but I abandoned what modest ambitions I had in my profession early on. For my career, the difference between scraping and clawing and networking the fuck out of everyone versus just building a nice comfortable niche where I could keep myself engaged and amused was fairly negligible in terms of financial reward. I'm happy being quietly well regarded and respected rather than feared or adored or famous.

Ambition and drive are sometimes interesting in people, even now and again admirable, but the open display of either just strikes me as unseemly.

Maybe not coincidentally, I'm not at all competitive, either.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

I think competitiveness goes in tandem with ambition. Even if one only competes with a personal best.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

I am currently, it's an exciting time in my life, time to make my move.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

Woody Allen said 80% of success in life is just showing up. So don't sweat it.

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2013

What does that mean, r4? Dr Oz also says this. Just show up for life. I mean, just showing up for work and not accomplishing anything isn't going to get you anywhere. I really don't understand the saying.

by Anonymousreply 507/02/2013

No. I've worked very hard to get out of dead-end jobs and into a career I liked, one where I can use my brain, do something meaningful, and get paid a decent wage. But I didn't do it out of ambition, I did it to lead a fulfilling life.

I never want to get promoted or go into management, I just want to make a few horizontal moves to keep things interesting, before I retire.

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

I don't know if I am ambitious or not. I am now retired but had many careers.

I was a medical professional for many years. Then my careers began. I started a catering company. Did well enough to survive until I relocated.

I started a in home care business providing assistance at home to the elderly.

I owned my own retail store for several years. Open 7 days a week.

Marketed art, antiques, collectibles on eBay for 10 years along with marketing in 3 retail locations. I ran estate sales on the side.

For me it was more stupidity than ambition. Was like jumping off a cliff each time I tried something new. My motto was always, one day at a time, one mountain at a time. I just knew that bit by bit I could pull most anything off.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

That's impressive, R7. I wish I had your gumption.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

R7, couldn't you hold a decent job? I'd run from you.

by Anonymousreply 907/03/2013

Good question.

My ambition has made a few dreams come true. It's also led to lots of disappointment. I don't think one happens without the other, at least not for most ambitious people, so I can't trade the great for the dismal.

That said, my life has been far more interesting than I expected it to be. That is reward in and of itself.

As I've gotten older, I've noticed that my ambition is waning a bit, and that's fine. It's nice not to have to be competitive all the damn time.

by Anonymousreply 1007/03/2013

I want to be the most popular and liked person on datalounge. But so far it hasn't worked. You trashy old dumb effem-inate illiterate hillbilly bitter fags just resent your betters.

by Anonymousreply 1107/03/2013

I'm not ambitious any more, now that I've achieved all my goals in life.

I'm rich, famous, handsome, and popular.

by Anonymousreply 1207/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!