Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The 1st of July: Remembering Princess Diana on her 52nd birthday

Diana, the late Princess of Whales, would've celebrated her 52nd birthday today. As her son prepares to have a child of his own, we remember the life and legacy of the "people's princess."

"She will always be remembered for her amazing public work, but behind the media glare — to just two loving children — she was quite simply the best mother in the world," Prince Harry said at a royal memorial service for his mother in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 5507/03/2013

Wow, I was crazy about Diana. I still miss her. Very sad that she's gone; a great loss.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

We will always have Harry to celebrate and remember her affair with James Hewitt...

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

Diana forever.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

R2. You are just plain wrong. Harry is Charles' son no matter how much you want to think otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

When is William and Catherine's baby due?

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 607/02/2013

Like most aristocratic children in the UK the princes were hustled off to military prep schools at age 5 and after their parents' separation they would pick up the morning tabloids to see which tubby middle -eastern playboy their wonderful caring mother the Princess of Whales ( !!) was screwing that week on a yacht in the Mediterranean.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2013

Princess Diana's Black Dress Was The Best 'Revenge' After Separation

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2013

Princess Diana's Best and Most Iconic Photos Ever

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2013

Wow, I forgot the feeling of emotion when she died. I dont think there has been any other amount of outpouring of pain for a public figure since then. Not like that, anyway, spontaneous crowd memorials.

For the younger gays, the reason we loved here is back at the height of the AIDS crisis, when our own President would not even mention the word, she was going around visiting AIDS patients and not afraid to touch them, hold their hands.

Hospitals were still quarantining AIDS patients like lepers. AIDS wards were popping up in big city hospitals. The rest of the public was till freaked out and unhelpful. Celebrities like Rock Hudson and Liberace still denying they even had AIDS.

She didnt care what the Royal Family thought and did what she thought was right in the face of fear even the general public at the time.

A great loss for the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2013

R10, thanks for remembering. Diana really was a trailblazer on many fronts notably on AIDS, and land mines. She really was the People's Princess. Even if today's generation isn't aware, Diana was beloved worldwide. Her death and funeral was the saddest of any world figure since President Kennedy. Hers might have even bee sadder. The world was stunned and in shock.

I wish she Diana were still with us. She may have started off a shy, awkward girl, but she became an international icon who people truly loved.

by Anonymousreply 1107/02/2013

Such a trail blazer...for massive manipulative egoism; starfucking; 24/7 lying; shallowness beyond imagining; and biting the hand that fed her endless pointless extravagance.

The fact she died being chased by paps in a car crash with her bone-dumb playboy lover who she was only exploiting -- was their ever a more appropriate demise? Only if she'd been strapon fucking her soulsister Fergie.

That this thread even exists shows the fraus are hitting their sugar lows.

by Anonymousreply 1207/02/2013

She was a nasty piece of work and nothing like her public image.

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2013

If you can find the book "Dicing Die " it's a fun read. She was nuts.

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2013

I'm crying as I type . . .

by Anonymousreply 1607/02/2013

Given her affair and how she was passed around after her divorce she really did turn out to be the "people's princess".

(For well qualifiedLarge checkbook required, no applicants without yachts will be considered, please see fine print for full details)

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

I remember where I was and what I was doing when the bulletin broke through on TV.

Most of all, I remember getting on with my life.

by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2013

the thing that struck me the most was the outpouring of grief and sadness on the day of the funeral. The hearse driving slowly because of the barrage of flowers thrown on the car. The weeping and wailing heard as the car drove on. Things like that don't usually happen in Britain. That was amazing and I think it put the royal family to shame.

by Anonymousreply 1907/02/2013

R15 Is that "Dicing with Di"? I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct book.

by Anonymousreply 2007/02/2013

Diana will be remembered as The Great Whore, a beautiful she-devil who enchanted and deceived a generation of fools.

by Anonymousreply 2107/02/2013

I adored when Private Eye published the No Di Card for one's wallet with its lettering:

" In the event of hospitalisation for accident or terminal illness, under no circumstances am I to be visited by The Princess Of Wales."

Absolute classic!

by Anonymousreply 2207/02/2013

Best Di joke evah

by Anonymousreply 2307/02/2013

R23, I laughed so hard my poor dog came running

by Anonymousreply 2407/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 2507/02/2013

Yes, Dicing With Di. Fun book.

by Anonymousreply 2607/02/2013

I thought the Princess Di troll would be back.

He/she will make a return on the anniversary of Diana's death, of course.

Jeez, troll don't you have a life?

by Anonymousreply 2707/02/2013

Diana's death was enormously sad all over the world. The outpouring of sadness, sympathy and grief was unprecedented not likely to be repeated to that extent. She was loved, and admired. It was a tragedy to have lost her so young.

by Anonymousreply 2807/02/2013

It was such a tragedy - think of all the men who were deprived of the opportunity of sleeping with her - she never had the chance to convert to Islam and marry Dodi. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 2907/02/2013

If there's any genuine sadness it's that Princess Anne, who day-in, day-out does 1,000 times more good than selfish It's-All-About-Me Di ever did, including with Save The Children, goes unacknowledged because she's not a vain celebrity-struck simpering pandering dress dummy media whore, but a grounded sane person who simply does her job.

by Anonymousreply 3007/02/2013

Diana did her job--and connected with people. The world was crazy about her. Diana's death was beyond sad and shocking. The snarky hatred on this thread is entirely unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 3107/02/2013

OP: Princess of Whales ? WTF ? You fuckin' retard.

Incidentally, I had close friends in hospitals in London with HIV at the time, and they hated that self-seeking frau-princess turning up late at night with journalists in tow, for her publicity pics. One even wedged a chair against the door of his room to keep her out. That was your slag princess: hated by those she exploited.

by Anonymousreply 3207/02/2013

For all these know-nothing haters here with their anecdotal stories, the rest of the world was full of sadness and grief when Princess Diana died. They loved her. And she was never going to marry Dodi.

The number of people who lined the streets and watched her funeral on television was unprecedented. The world was in shock. The queen's popularity--in fact the entire royal family--was in jeopardy with the public for not showing the proper respect to Diana when she died. Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip had to be told to get their asses in gear. And the amount of flowers in front of Kensington Palace paying homage to Diana will never be repeated.

The people who affect an entire world as Diana did are few and far between in anyone's lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 3407/02/2013

Love it R32. I would have wedged a chair in too. I was at one of her 'performances' when she deliberately distracted the media on an official visit to a institution with Charles while he was trying to do his duty: it was disgraceful & juvenile and soured the opinion of everyone who witnessed it. We all felt sorry for him: he was trying to do his job and he had this obvious attention-seeking child in tow. Nothing that happened after that came as the slightest surprise. What we saw that day and the media's portrayl of 'poor Diana' was very different. Unfortunately she never got the good bitchslapping she deserved to knock the intense self-focus and selfishness out of her like normal people get in one way or another. No wonder she's an icon for the Me Generation. She was It.

by Anonymousreply 3507/02/2013

[quote]Diana, the late Princess of Whales,

Fergie is the only one in that family who ever deserved the title "Princess of Whales."

by Anonymousreply 3607/02/2013

Mohamed Al-Fayed is in some serious denial if he thinks Diana was ever really going to marry that playboy son of his. Diana was the British Daisy Buchanan--"Rich girls don't marry poor boys!", indeed. Only in Di's case, "Old Money doesn't marry New Money."

by Anonymousreply 3707/02/2013

Love your description of Charles "trying to do his job", r35, as if he has one. As far as I can see, by being beautiful and warm and empathetic and intriguing, she was much more effective at fulfilling a princess's job requirements than he has ever been at fulfilling a prince's. What exactly does he bring to the table?

by Anonymousreply 3807/02/2013

I bet Harry is glad he is not Charles' sun, he looks so much hotter than William.

by Anonymousreply 3907/02/2013

Diana was obsesses with being famous, her affair with Dodi was probably just a front. She loved to be in the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 4007/02/2013

Who can ever forget "England's Rose"?

by Anonymousreply 4107/03/2013

For the millionth fucking time, Harry is Charles's son. He looks exactly like his grandfather Philip as a young man. And red hair is a Spencer family trait. Diana's father and all of her siblings had/have red hair.

by Anonymousreply 4207/03/2013

Over the years I've come around to agreeing with the Diana haters. Just because the royals suck doesn't make Diana good by default. It's all just a bunch of people we are wasting our time caring about.

by Anonymousreply 4307/03/2013

How many cocks drilled Diana in her lifetime? She just seemed to be one great big open hole.

by Anonymousreply 4407/03/2013

If you watch early video of Diana you can see how vulnerable she was. If she had to become self-focused (selfish) to survive can you really blame her? It wasn't her fault that the public fell in love with her in the very beginning.

by Anonymousreply 4507/03/2013

She was too thin to be the "Princess of Whales."

by Anonymousreply 4607/03/2013

Diana was sexually active before Charles came along - handjobs, BJs and so on. She was the an aristocrat from one of Britain's most illustrious families. She was rich, experienced, posh and knew exactly what she was doing. She decided she wanted to be Queen and pursued Charles. Yes, she was beautiful. She was not vulnerable, a bit shy at first, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 4707/03/2013

Loved Diana. I wish she were alive today. It wasn't easy being up against that cruel, unfeeling royal family. But she did and became strong, independent, compassionate, a fighter and beloved all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 4907/03/2013

Give us a break...

by Anonymousreply 5007/03/2013

Pluses: charm, beauty, emotional intelligence, charisma. Helped draw attention to worthy social causes.

Minuses: Narcissism, neediness, limited intellect. Worsened a difficult personal situation with poor judgment and impulsiveness.

by Anonymousreply 5107/03/2013

Diana haters have severe mental issues.

by Anonymousreply 5207/03/2013

R52. Agreed. Thank you. Most everyone loved Diana or at least were shocked and saddened by her death. Now all these years later, there is this venom. Charles and Caila caused this whole mess. Diana fought back--and good for her.

by Anonymousreply 5307/03/2013

[quote]Diana haters have severe mental issues.

As do the OTT Diana lovers.

In any of the multitude of Diana threads on DL, we read that she was either a deranged whore or the saintliest being there ever was.

by Anonymousreply 5407/03/2013

Dead or alive, I never understood the appeal of this woman. She seemed nice enough, but wasn't that her only responsibility?

by Anonymousreply 5507/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!