Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dorothy Stratten

Anyone old enough to remember this creepy story??

Small time girl (blonde, buxom, tall, beautiful) meets a local hustler. He sends her pics to Playboy. She ends becoming a sensation and become playmate of the year. Peter Bogdonivech falls in lust and puts her in some movie.

While she's filming, she meets up with her soon-to-ex to call it quits once and for all.

He ends up raping and shooting her in the face.

One of the Hemingway girls played her in the movie Star 80. Julia Robert's brother played the pyscho hubby.

by Anonymousreply 8511/11/2013

STAR 80, the movie Bob Fosse directed with Eric Roberts and Mariel Hemingway is worth a rent.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

What was sad, Dorothy's film THEY ALL LAUGHED starring Audrey Hepburn was released shortly after her murder. In that film, she showed a flair for comedy.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

She was Peter Bogdonovich's great love. After Cybil Shepherd. Then didn't Bogdonovich marry her sister?! I seem to remember that. It was really freaky and really weird.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

OP , Eric Roberts freaked me the fuck out in Star 80 what a sad creepy life she had.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

And Roger Rees of Cheers and Broadway fame played Bogdanovich.

Great direction by Bob Fosse. After his film directing debut debacle Sweet Charity, he really learned how to master the art of film. Cabaret, Lenny, All That Jazz and Star 80 are all brilliant films.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

Eric Robert was brilliant in that movie.

I don't think I've seen any movies made by his sister Julia Robert in ages.

[quote]Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

LOVED Eric R's performance in this movie. Completely unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

I remember it. Very sad

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

Agreed, R4. I saw it in college, probably '84 or so. (aside - I'm pretty sure that was the first video I ever rented). That image of Eric Roberts has lingered since then. Who knows? Maybe he really is a creepy person IRL.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

What I remember, which I think is in the film ( can't remember) is the creepy fuck apparatus the guy made. Something like a wooden gym machine, where he could open, and close, the legs. Ugh. That guy Paul was such a loser - he wanted so bad to be like Hefner, and instead, he was just a psycho freak.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

I think of that murder all the time, because the apt. bldg. where it happened, can be seen from the 405 Fwy. ( where the 10 / Santa Monica Fwys. meet). Just an ugly, typical tile roofed 70's dump - but it still stands out to me, as I think of Stratten, every time I go by.

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

I never thought she was that great looking. She looked a lot like my slutty blonde cousin.

She needed a lot of makeup and hair fixing to rise above pleasantly-average-looking.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

Star 80 was really creepy and sad.

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

Seems that 'creepy' is the key word in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

Eric Roberts' performance in Star 80 was electrifying and he was undeservedly overlooked for an Oscar nomination that year. He did manage to get nominated for a Golden Globe and was awarded Best Actor by the Boston Society of Film Critics, but the main problem was that the movie was mostly ignored by the public at the box office, despite positive reviews.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

I played her first, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

It was a great movie and creepy nails it. It's just unlikely that one would watch it having seen it once. I think ER's performance was so disconcerting and the movie so hard to watch that it was ignored by the Academy. Really too bad. ER could have had a much better career.

Loved him "Raggedy Man" too.

by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2013

Star 80 was ripped apart by many other critics. It's sad that Fosse made so few movies.

by Anonymousreply 1907/02/2013

I can't decide if R20 is a freeper or a frau.

by Anonymousreply 2107/02/2013

Here's another shot of her murderer, Paul Snider. I wonder if he was trying to tell people something in his vulgar attire? Why, as tight as those slacks are I do believe I can tell what religion he is.

by Anonymousreply 2207/02/2013

Personally, I sort of enjoyed Snider's VPL. But I don't enjoy OP's reference to Bogdanovich putting Stratten "in some movie." It's very, very easy to look up the movie in which Stratten appeared. Blowing it off by saying "in some movie" suggests that OP has no interest in what he's talking about. So there's no reason that we should. But I did enjoy remembering being a kid able to glimpse penises through routine street wear.

by Anonymousreply 2307/02/2013

[quote]Anyone old enough to remember this creepy story??

Yes, I knew her.

[quote]He ends up raping and shooting her in the face.

Unbelievably, it was the other way around. He shot her and then fucked her.

R13 and R20 are both assholes who don't know a damn thing about what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 2407/02/2013

In July 1980, on one of my first business trips, I took the Concorde from New York to London (my first and only time on that cramped but beautiful bird). I was in my early 20s, very shy and the only woman in our group going to a conference. Bogdanovich was sitting one row across and behind from us. He was travelling with a striking young woman. At some point a colleague noticed they had covered up with blankets and it was obvious they were not napping. Was it because it was the Concorde and they weren't making a raucus that they were left undisturbed? It could also be that noone was complaining, least of all my colleagues who suddenly had to get up and stretch, taking a closer look. When we learned of her gruesome murder we wondered if she had been the same person we saw with the director. It is one celebrity sighting I have never forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 2507/02/2013

How does the one with Jamie Lee Curtis compare to Star 80?

by Anonymousreply 2607/02/2013

Interesting that they didn't use Bogdanovich's name in Star 80. Rees, playing the Bogdanovich character, was called something else.

Nice work from Carroll Baker as Dorothy's mom.

The Jamie Lee tv movie wasn't so bad but I can't imagine why anyone thought they could pass her off as a bombshell. The manly face was just all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2707/02/2013

R12, it's not an apartment building on Clarkson, it's a two story house. It was up for sale a few years back and when I went in for the open house, the bullet holes were still in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 2807/02/2013

"Star 80" was, BTW, Stratten's vanity plate on the Porsche she was given for winning "Playmate of the Year" for 1980.

Bogdanovich wrote a book called "Killing of the Unicorn" basically blaming Hefner, Playboy, and the Playboy Mansion lifestyle for Stratten's death. It was quite a work of hypocrisy has Hefner was one of Bogdanovich's best buds and Bogdanovich was a regular and frequent guest at the Playboy Mansion. And yes, if that wasn't weird enough, he went on to marry Stratten's little sister.

by Anonymousreply 2907/02/2013

R12 may be thinking of the apartment where Dorothy lived, rather than the house Paul lived in and where she was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 3007/02/2013

Fosse really identified with Paul. Maybe he thought he was Paul and Gwen Verdon was Stratten. He was considered "King Leer" because his choreography was thought tawdry (remember, this was the '80s and his star was definitely on the decline) and everyone loved Verdon for everything she did.

Weird to think that if Paul hadn't killed himself and stuck with Chippendales, he would have had a very nice bank account and most of the stuff he longed for.

by Anonymousreply 3107/02/2013

That may be true R30, but the murder house is right where R12 is referring to. Right next to the 10, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 3207/02/2013

R3 You are right. Peter left his wife for Cybill Shepherd. After they split, Peter was with Dorothy and after Dorothy was murdered he married Dorothy's sister Louise. IMDB says they then got divorced in 2001. IMDB also says Peter and Louise have written a screenplay together called "Squirrel To The Nuts". It is due to start shooting this year with Peter directing. It stars Jennifer Aniston, Owen Wilson and.....Cybill Shepherd.

by Anonymousreply 3307/02/2013

R27 LOL! Jamie Lee started shooting that movie the very next day after she finish filming Halloween 2

It was her first film role that helped her escape her scream queen persona

by Anonymousreply 3407/02/2013

[quote]How does the one with Jamie Lee Curtis compare to Star 80?

It was a TV movie and I think Robert Reed played the Bogdanovich character.

[quote]"Star 80" was, BTW, Stratten's vanity plate on the Porsche she was given for winning "Playmate of the Year" for 1980.

I think the vanity plates were from Snider's 450sl that he had bought with the money Dorothy had got from Playboy.

Bogdanovich married Louise, who resembled Dorothy but wasn't nearly as pretty as she was in 1989 when she was 19. Louise has had a lot of plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 3507/02/2013

Timothy Bottoms, who starred in The Last Picture Show, hates Peter Bogdonavich with a passion. He's also very bitter about the entire film and anyone associated with it (except the late Polly Platt--Peter's dumped wife). I think Tim's hatred for Bogdonavich stems from Cybill rejecting Tim in favor of Peter, combined with the two of them publicly humiliating Platt. Bottoms is now going around making a new revelation: that he "had" Dorothy Stratten first--before both Bogdonavich and Snyder:

[quote] Here’s something else really heavy: I gave Dorothy Stratten her first job in Hollywood. I had an affair with Dorothy while I was going through a divorce with my first wife. It was up in Vancouver while I was shooting The Other Side of the Mountain Part 2. The first assistant director asked who I wanted for a stand-in, because Marilyn Hassett and her husband were always yelling that I wasn’t attracted to her. So I picked the prettiest girl on the set, and it was her. We spent three or four days together. I had to ask her mom permission to take her out. And who was there holding onto her mom’s apron strings, but Louise, Dorothy’s little sister who Peter married years later, when she was exactly the same age Dorothy was when Peter hooked up with her. So I know in my heart that he made Dorothy’s estranged husband just feel like a piece of shit. And he shouldn’t have done that to some hillbilly hick from Vancouver because guess what? He decided to blow her brains out and then killed himself. And I believe that Peter is really responsible for a lot of that.

by Anonymousreply 3607/02/2013

I saw that movie once, thirty years ago, and hearing it mentioned still gives me the chills! It really ought to get respect from the film establishment, and I agree that Eric Roberts should have had an Oscar nomination.

He really was the hottest of the hot back then, not just beautiful but charismatic and talented. His sister may have had the bigger career, but he had a dangerous intensity that she's never approached. I was very sorry when his career went down the tubes, and even today I'm always glad to see him onscreen. He's matured into a super-hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 3707/02/2013

Teresa Carpenter did an article in the Village Voice about Stratten and her men (Snider, Hefner, Bogdanovich) called "Death of a Playmate." It was so good it won a Pulitzer Prize. Carpenter depicted Stratten as a bland, beautiful, easily led, obedient young girl (she was only 20 when she died) who did whatever the man in her life told her to do. Carpenter's take on the brief life of Stratten is that she was used and exploited by ALL the men she was involved with, Hefner and Bogdanovich included. Of the the three, Snider comes across as the most likeable and sympathetic...and he's a murderer!

Carpenter depicts Snider as some poor schmuck who's been a loser all his life until he comes into possession of Stratten. She's the only success in his life...and along comes Bogdanovich who steals her away with promises of making her a movie star. He understandably snaps big time. Carpenter sums it all up this way: Snider, Hefner and Bogdanovich were three of a kind. The only difference was that Hefner and Bogdanovich were wealthy and famous and successful in their endeavors to use women, and Snider was not. Carpenter said of Snider: "it was all too big for him. In that Elysium of dreams and deals he had reached the limits of his class. His sin, his unforgiveable sin, was being small time."

by Anonymousreply 3807/02/2013

"How does the one with Jamie Lee Curtis compare to Star 80?"

The Jamie Lee Curtis movie was mediocre. Curtis was a terrible choice to play Stratten; she wore a ridiculous blonde wig, looks much older than Stratten was and is far from beautiful although she did have a good body. Bruce Weitz played Snider; he was way too old for the role. Robert Reed played the Peter Bogdanovich character. Star 80 was much better.

by Anonymousreply 3907/02/2013

Bogdanovich definitely upped the creepy factor of the story by marrying Dorothy's sister Louise (who I believe he also treated to a bit of a makeover .....more into Dorothy's image .... eeeeeek !!!!

by Anonymousreply 4007/02/2013

[quote]His sin, his unforgiveable sin, was being small time.

His sin was that he was a pimp who thought it was going to last forever.

R37, Julia and Eric Roberts both had their problems with drugs. Last I knew, he has never been able to stay clean. He had moments of brilliance interspersed with being loaded all the time.

by Anonymousreply 4107/02/2013

Here's the article R38 mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 4207/02/2013

Oooooof .... that picture of Snider in that article. Shame he was a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 4307/02/2013

[quote]"Star 80" was, BTW, Stratten's vanity plate on the Porsche she was given for winning "Playmate of the Year" for 1980. I think the vanity plates were from Snider's 450sl that he had bought with the money Dorothy had got from Playboy

You're right, I stand corrected.

...such a long time ago...

by Anonymousreply 4407/02/2013

Bogdonavich's book "The Killing Of The Unicorn" is a juicy read, but it's laughable how he tries to whitewash his role in the tragedy, presenting himself as some sort of white knight out to rescue Dorothy. To hear him tell it, he only went to the Playboy mansion parties (six nights a week) for the food, and Dorothy was an innocent little lamb who was coerced into participating in multiple orgies in the infamous "grotto". He badgered Dorothy into leaving Paul, obviously without knowing what Snider was capable of.

by Anonymousreply 4507/02/2013

Didn't Mariel Hemingway have plastic surgery to win the role of Dorothy Statten in Star 80?

If Stratten was pretty but bland, would her acting career have gone anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 4607/02/2013

r46

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 4707/02/2013

[quote]Didn't Mariel Hemingway have plastic surgery to win the role of Dorothy Statten in Star 80?

Mariel had a boob job to better fit the role (or perhaps, to get the role?). If memory serves, it was something of a big deal at the time because it was the first time an actress went public about getting breast augmentation specifically for a mainstream role. I believe she had them removed years later.

by Anonymousreply 4807/02/2013

Wow the article was something else...it really doesn't demonize Snider.

And poor Dorothy was a beautiful blank canvass.

by Anonymousreply 4907/02/2013

but what a canvass she had!

by Anonymousreply 5007/02/2013

They All Laughed is a pretty decent movie. Tarantino rates it as one of his favorites. Colleen Camp and John Ritter were once interviewed on a special about Dorothy, and both said that she was very shy, quiet and extremely devoted to pleasing Peter on the set.

Bogdonovich tried to make Stratten a star in the same way he did with Cybill Shepherd (whom he just ended a tumultuous relationship with). But Cybill didn't have a crazy boyfriend, and was more of her own person.

by Anonymousreply 5107/02/2013

R47, do NOT fuck with Mommy Bootsie Gumdrops!

by Anonymousreply 5207/02/2013

[quote] R13] and [R20] are both assholes who don't know a damn thing about what they're talking about

This will be hard for you, but here it is: Everyone on the planet does not share your opinions. Especially about looks, which is a highly subjective thing.

They didn't feel that a dead starlet she was beautiful, so what? It's not like they called for putting a spike through your head.

by Anonymousreply 5307/02/2013

I can't find the YouTube video, but there is a video with Dorothy at her Playmate of year event. Hugh Hefner and Paul Snider are there and filmed together talking.

Going with the whole creepy theme, it was very creepy. One frame has Paul grabbing her hand and her pulling away.

Also agree with r53, she was generic blonde beautiful looking. For that time period they were a dime a dozen: Farrah F, Cheryl Tiegs, etc. I think the fact that she posed naked and was model material was very new at the time. She could have been a successful print model without posing naked for playboy.

by Anonymousreply 5407/02/2013

Yes I have read about it and saw some of her interviews on youtube. She was pretty, but as others said, nothing made her stand out from the other pretty blonde girls at the time. It's a shame she never got her chance to see how far her looks could take her in hollywood though. Some of these men are so evil.

by Anonymousreply 5507/02/2013

Peter Bogdanovich is a sick creep.

He was a regular at the Playboy mansion. That's how he first met Stratten. He gave her his phone number. She didn't call. I guess not; he was twenty years older and very un-handsome. A year later he dangled a carrot in front of her; he offered her a role in his latest movie. She took the bait and he reeled her in. He always tried to portray her as a woman of great depth and intelligence, but she was still just a naive girl who wanted to be a star.

After her death he came out with his awful book "The Killing of the Unicorn." The "born again feminist" as one critic called him, denounced Hefner in the book and accused him of being a terrible man who used poor Dorothy and took advantage of her. He also wrote of the exquisite lovemaking that he and Stratten shared. He described their first kisses as being equivalent to "coming to climax several times." He is amazed at Stratten's incredible beauty, compassion, kindness, compassion, intellect; he cannot believe that such a divine creature could actually be real. One critic asked the pertinent question: "how can he write such doodle?"

Hefner, enraged at being raked over the coals in Bogdanovich's book, held a press conference where he told reporters that Bogdanovich had developed an obsession with Dorothy's sister Louise, who was 11 at the time of Stratten's death. He claimed that they would stay at hotels, just the two of them. Stratten denied Hefner's claim and said that Bogdanovich was just a "friend." People who went to school with her noticed her wearing expensive jewelry. Her face began to take on more of a resemblance to Dorothy's; surgery had rearranged her jaw and collagen had plumped up her lips. Finally it came out; Bogdanovich and little Louise Stratten were an item. They got married. Her mother said when informed of the news "I lost another daughter. I had one daughter with her head shot off and now I'm going to have another." Bogdanovich later tried to explain the union by saying "we were friends...we became better friends. What can I say?"

Louise Stratten tried to be an actress. It didn't take. She and Bogdanovich were married 14 years before they finally divorced. I think both of them are incredibly digusting people.

by Anonymousreply 5607/02/2013

wow! didn't know her bitch sister married that creep a few years after her death! Who the hell dates someone his/her sibling did?

by Anonymousreply 5707/02/2013

I would suggest having a bit more compassion for Louise. Groomed by a wealthy pedo or borderline pedo, after the trauma of losing her sister - lots of loss and manipulation at a very young age. And now you! Calling her disgusting! Pretty sad.

by Anonymousreply 5807/02/2013

So how old was Louise when Bogdonovich started having sex with her?

by Anonymousreply 5907/02/2013

R11, I remembered the tacky gym thing too. Creepy!

by Anonymousreply 6007/02/2013

To be fair, r57, Louise was only about 16 when Bogdonavich started (secretly--of course) messing around with her. He manipulated her away from the protection of her family in pretty much the same way Snider manipulated Dorothy away.

by Anonymousreply 6107/02/2013

The legend of Dorothy Stratten and 'what might have been' is interesting solely because of her death. Had she lived, whe may very well now be just another divorced trophy wife (of Bogdanovich) who might now be appearing on 'The Real housewives Of Beverly Hills'. Only upon her death was she touted as a solid comedienne/actress. etc. Entirely possible that 'They All Laughed' might have tanked and she would have been an 80's version of Barbi Benton (Hefner's 1970's plaything).

No PLaymate Of The Year has before or since has exactly taken the world by storm (Shannon Tweed is probably the one that went furthest with a career after POTY. Was Anna Nicole Smith a POTY ??)

by Anonymousreply 6207/03/2013

r62 yes, in 1993 via a google search.

Which brings me to my point, she wasn't talented, she was a nobody, Bogdanovich had a pervy hard on for her.

I also think dead Marilyn Monroe was sort of the same type of brainless, much more famous in her death & nothing much to write home about.

by Anonymousreply 6307/03/2013

Perhaps a bit too harsh on MM, R63.

She probably couldn't have played Chekhov, but her extant performances show she was capable of more than blonde gold digger roles.

by Anonymousreply 6407/03/2013

I worked in a shop on 5th Avenue in the late 70's, early 80's. Bogdonovitch used to come in with Stratton. Absolutelu gorgeous. O.J. came in with Nicholle. It was a bookshop and she just stood there in her Lynx coat. Didn't look at one book.

by Anonymousreply 6507/03/2013

[quote]Unbelievably, it was the other way around. He shot her and then fucked her

It's worse than that. He raped her first, then murdered her; then he sexually defiled her corpse, then shot himself.

by Anonymousreply 6607/03/2013

If Paul Snider had just hung on a little longer he would've witnessed the video porn revolution and been a suitcase pimp to any number of starlets. Bogdanavich is gross and so are people who speak ill of the dead.

by Anonymousreply 6707/03/2013

Who the hell is speaking ill of the dead r67? Other than commenting on her looks, which was her currency in life (that and her small acting gigs) If she were a doctor we would be commenting on her dr abilities.

And she was in the Playboy 'family' (how fucking creepy is that description) and the aura of Playboy is sexually available women.

By the way, that article from the voice was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 6807/03/2013

[quote] It was a bookshop and she just stood there in her Lynx coat. Didn't look at one book.

Which one? Dorothy or Nicole?

by Anonymousreply 6907/03/2013

More Bogdanovich weirdness:

After Stratten's death, he refered to himself as her "widower." They were never married.

In "They All Laughed" Stratten played the love interest of John Ritter's character. Ritter looked like a homely dork; a critic accurately noted that Ritter was "absurdly made up to look like Bogdanovich."

After Stratten's death Bogdanovich claimed that lights in his house would mysteriously go on and off. He believed that was proof Dorothy was trying to "contact" him.

by Anonymousreply 7007/03/2013

She did have the typical Playmate figure with a very innocent face, I assume that's a big turn-on for straight guys, the whole "Madonna-whore" thing. Anyway, she sounds like she was entirely without malice and certainly met a horrible end just because she dated the wrong guy at a very young age, I have a lot of sympathy for her.

by Anonymousreply 7107/03/2013

Cue Twilight Zone music...

by Anonymousreply 7207/03/2013

Younger sis is very smart and perceptive. I've seen her interviewed on several shows and she was filled up well by PB, in more ways than one.

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Nickelodeon", which is as bad as DM or ALLL. He couldn't get Cybill into the movie because she was considered the reason the previous two bombed so he came up with another model, Jane Hitchcock, who was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 7307/03/2013

I remember the film and what a pathetic character Snider was, played well by Roberts. I knew Playboy playmates from 20 plus years ago. Hef really preferred the blonde, busty girl next door types. The centerfolds had a great team of make-up people and retouchers. It was also alluded to that it was understood a monthly centerfold would be obligated to service Hef. The playmates all wanted to be leading ladies and the young girls thought Playboy would be a stepping stone. The entertainment industry didn't agree. After being a centerfold, it seemed the girls would fall into 3 paths afterward: one direction was legitimate work in TV and ads: Pam Anderson, Anna Nicole, Jenny McCarthy, and those who were game show models, etc,. A second path was monetizing on their newfound, short-lived novelty as a Playboy model, ie. stripclub stripping, clandestine prostitution w/ rich men, including for men overseas, and oddly, online/mail order sales of their worn panties and personal items. The third path was straight to regular life marrying their boyfriends back home and becoming moms. Name one PB model currently or in the past beside Marilyn Monroe who is/was a film marquee name? Dorothy could have been, but probably unlikely for long.

by Anonymousreply 7407/03/2013

R74, Sure there's been a fixation on busty, non-threatening/innocent blondes for a long time. It's part of "The American Dream." Why were so very few playmates following the 1st path? Couldn't any of them act? Hef could have purposely chosen a "non-wooden" blond for at least 1 centerfold.

by Anonymousreply 7507/03/2013

I remember liking Nickelodeon when it came out. It's not at all in the same crap clas as At Long Last Love or Daisy Miller. On the other hand, Hearts of the West, which came out the previous year, had a similar tone and plot and was much better written and acted.

by Anonymousreply 7607/03/2013

Exactly r74 - all the girls that got in that centerfold needed to fuck Hefner. He's a perv. The fact is, Dorothy fucked him of course.

by Anonymousreply 7707/03/2013

Of course we know of this, OP.

[quote][R27] LOL! Jamie Lee started shooting that movie the very next day after she finish filming Halloween 2

Really? How do you know this interesting bit of trivia? Did you work on the Stratten TV movie?

by Anonymousreply 7807/03/2013

Link is to Dorothy Stratten pix. She really wasn't all that.

by Anonymousreply 7907/03/2013

The Find-a-death site links to a pretty gruesome crime scene pic. Apparently it was an add in Hustler magazine, and it said "What kind of man reads Playboy?" (a parody of Playboy's own ad campaign) with a pic of Snider and Stratten. She's face down on the floor, he's slumped against the wall with the gun between his legs. Blood spatter all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 8007/03/2013

Another route for Playboy centerfolds is to marry a rich, famous man. Quite a few did that. Ann Pennington was married to Sean Cassidy (they divorced). Patti McGuire (Playmate of the Month, November 1976, Playmate of the Year, 1977) ended up married to Jimmy Connors. Donna D'Errico married Nikki Sixx of Motley Crew (they divorced). Debra Jensen was married to short, ugly Peter Criss of Kiss (they divorced). Very few Playmates have any real talent for anything but taking their clothes off, so hooking up with a rich guy is probably their main goal besides being a "star."

by Anonymousreply 8107/03/2013

No it's not, r64.

Gay men are attracted to her vulnerability and use and abuse by straight men, plus the glamour.

They also gloss over her lack of talent, love of sex (she was a whore, darlin') and unprofessional behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 8207/03/2013

In Star 80, Cliff Robertson does a spot-on performance as Hugh Hefner. He and Eric Roberts are terrific in Star 80, Hemingway not so hot.

Teresa Carpenter's "Death of a Playmate" had originally been placed as runner up for the Pulitzer Prize for feature winner. The original winner was Janet Cooke for "Jimmy's World" that was published in the Washington Post. Cooke was discovered to have fabricated her story and the Pulitzer was then awarded to Carpenter.

If I remember Carpenter's piece correctly, Hefner was desperate to create his own star under the Playboy banner. He thought Stratten would be the actress who would do it for him

by Anonymousreply 8307/03/2013

The Hustler ad wasn't real.

by Anonymousreply 8407/04/2013

I seem to recall that Hefner knew what was going on with Bogdanovich/Snider/Dorothy but acted surprised and mournful when she was brutally killed and violated. Details anyone?

by Anonymousreply 8511/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.