Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DHS: Foreign gays married to Americans get Green Cards

Oh what a difference a single court opinion makes. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano has ordered that married gay couples be treated like every other married couple for immigration purposes.


This is a direct result of last week’s Supreme Court decision finding Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional.

In the past, gay Americans who were legally wed to gay foreigners found that the federal government did not recognize their legal marriages, because of DOMA, so the foreign gay spouses were deported. All of that now changes.

Press Release July 1, 2013 Contact: DHS Press Office, (202) 282-8010


“After last week’s decision by the Supreme Court holding that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional, President Obama directed federal departments to ensure the decision and its implication for federal benefits for same-sex legally married couples are implemented swiftly and smoothly. To that end, effective immediately, I have directed U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to review immigration visa petitions filed on behalf of a same-sex spouse in the same manner as those filed on behalf of an opposite-sex spouse.”

More from DHS:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: I am a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident in a same-sex marriage to a foreign national. Can I now sponsor my spouse for a family-based immigrant visa?

A1: Yes, you can file the petition. You may file a Form I-130 (and any applicable accompanying application). Your eligibility to petition for your spouse, and your spouse’s admissibility as an immigrant at the immigration visa application or adjustment of status stage, will be determined according to applicable immigration law and will not be automatically denied as a result of the same-sex nature of your marriage.

Q2: My spouse and I were married in a U.S. state that recognizes same-sex marriage, but we live in a state that does not. Can I file an immigrant visa petition for my spouse?

A2: Yes, you can file the petition. In evaluating the petition, as a general matter, USCIS looks to the law of the place where the marriage took place when determining whether it is valid for immigration law purposes. That general rule is subject to some limited exceptions under which federal immigration agencies historically have considered the law of the state of residence in addition to the law of the state of celebration of the marriage. Whether those exceptions apply may depend on individual, fact-specific circumstances. If necessary, we may provide further guidance on this question going forward.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

And here come the Asians. Those who can do, those who can't go Asian.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

It's about time, straights have been doing this for years.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

What is R1 on about?

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

I love a foreign guest

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

I'm gonna go get a Russian daddy and save him from his stupid backward country.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

LOL, r1.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

I thought the "Asian thing" was for str8 men who can't get a white woman?

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

Same goes for gay men, r7. You've never seen the rice queens? Always an older white guy and a young Asian guy.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!