Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ugh....gall bladder

I apparently have to have my gall bladder removed.

Has anyone had this done? I'm reading a lot of shitty horror stories from people who say they had even more problems and pain after the surgery than before.

Is this just a case of only people who have negative experiences bitching online? Or is this what I should expect?

by Anonymousreply 3007/13/2013

I had it done with laparoscopy about 10 years ago and it was like instant relief, no kidding.

I had been having terrible GB attacks, with chest/ back pain so bad, I thought I was having a heart attack, so I was really happy to finally have the GB out.

The recovery with laparoscopy is really quick and easy, too. I was up and about the same day and home from the hospital within 48 hours. I didn't have to change my diet.

I've never had issues since.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

Never surf the net about upcoming surgeries. Ask your doctor.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

OP did they actually find stones in there? Because if they did, then yes. I was told to have mine removed and didn't. Then I had severe symptoms again this year. I was constantly throwing up, constant pain, anyway, had a CT scan and I have an ulcer, not GB. Good luck in whatever you decide.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

I had a doctor tell me that I needed to have my gall bladder removed. This was after I had been on a very low fat diet. I went to another doctor who said that, most likely, if I slowly added normal amounts of fat back into my diet, I wouldn't need to have it out.

He was right. What happens is that when you don't eat adequate amounts of fat, the bile in the bladder crystalizes and hurts like hell when you finally do eat fat and it comes out. Once you get rid of the crystals, and if you eat normal amounts of fat without cutting it out or cutting down to dangerously low levels, you won't have a problem.

I haven't had a problem in ten years. Doctors are too quick to cut you open.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

I had mine out a couple of years ago via laparoscopic surgery. I was out for maybe a week and a half and was back to normal pretty quickly. I haven't had any problems since, although I've heard from a colleague that she had to go on a special diet several months after her surgery due to digestive problems.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

laparoscopic. No problems. Back at work next day. Instant relief.

no stones for me - they did a bile flow study and discovered poor gallbladder function which was causing my intense referred pain to shoulder and back

One note - you might get a bit intolerant of high fat food after they take it out (dairy etc) my solution was to take lots of psyllium husks daily.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

Easiest operation EVER!

Never looked back.

I had actually hoped I would be somewhat intolerant of fatty foods in order to maintain weight control. But alas, I can eat anything--and so can everyone I've ever known who's had the operation.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

I had mine out laparoscopically about 15 yrs much relief!

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

Thanks folks. This is encouraging.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

Come to think of it OP, I know two friends who've had their gallbladders removed and I never heard either of them complain about it ever.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

No big deal, OP, so long as it can be done laparoscopically. Are you fat, OP? Because if you're fat they have to use the old-fashioned chain saw and split you open - my friend Sharyn, who is enormous, had to have it done this way and between infections and pain and incision healing and loss of "muscle" tone in the abdomen it took her a year to recover. And she gained even more weight through the whole ordeal.

She was festering and oozing at three different infection spots along the long gashes they cut into her, a greenish-amber thick liquory stuff that smelled so bad she'd vomit during the changing of the dressings. And her digestion has never been the same. She eats as much as always but it's like it doesn't get digested, and comes out the other end almost intact, she said. How she gains weight without digesting right I don't know, but I am sick of hearing about "intact carrots, hamburger meat with bun and pickle, big chunks of broccoli and whole chicken nuggets plopping out of her ass. She calls me from the bathroom and holds the phone down there because she says it's all so heavy it splashes her when it drops on. Disgusting and weird.

So I hope you're not too fat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

What R7 said, and provided it can be done laparoscopically.

I'd heard a lot of awful things too, mostly about not being able to eat for a week, etc. I went into the surgery hungry due to the fasting and woke up hungry. I stuffed my face with whatever I wanted to that day. No pain or discomfort, ever. I'd rather have that surgery than get my teeth cleaned at the dentist.

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

I had it done the old way, not because I'm fat but because there was something odd about the place it was. my insides are a bit wonky and out of place. The hardest part was the first 4 days after, the pain was pretty bad. Once I was able to get up and start walking the pain eased up tremendously. Doctors warned me to be carefull about what I ate, but I had no problems.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

Careful with the blood transfusions.

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

I had mine removed way back in '70. The attacks I had were excruciating, I never had that kind of pain before. The only way I could get relief was by forcing myself to throw up until there was absolutely nothing left in my stomach. Lots of bile was expelled.

I lived with them until I had one of my worst attacks when I was visiting my parents. They got me to the emergency room and the family doctor told me it would only get worse unless I went under the knife. I did and they used that knife to cut me from right under my tits straight down past my belly button. As long as they had me ripped open, they removed my appendix too. They found some biggish gall stones.

I had one more slight attack about six months after the surgery. Then, nothing. Pleasant relief to this day.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

Laparoscially, about five years ago. It beats having attacks.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

The attacks feel like giving birth through your GI track and out your mouth. Horrid.

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

I've had the attacks and they are awful, though I've been on a near liquid diet for three weeks and it's almost nil now.

Also, I've been on a Vicodin cloud when the pain hits.

Srsly, thanks to all of you - this makes me not so batshit worried about it.

by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2013

R11, please don't take any more calls from that friend!

I think that description has scarred me more than fear of surgery. LOL

by Anonymousreply 1907/03/2013

Was diagnosed with gallstones. Finishing pre-op today and having surgery tomorrow morning at 7:30. Supposed to be done laproscopically (sp?). If I have it that early is it possible I can go home in the afternoon?

by Anonymousreply 2007/11/2013

Yes, R20, I did. It was nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2013

Gall bladder problems = fat people

by Anonymousreply 2207/11/2013

[quote]Was diagnosed with gallstones. Finishing pre-op today and having surgery tomorrow morning at 7:30. Supposed to be done laproscopically (sp?). If I have it that early is it possible I can go home in the afternoon?

They'll still probably keep you overnight.

Even though it's much less invasive than having to open you all the way up, the aftereffects of abdominal surgery are not pleasant. It will hurt like hell and at least at first you won't be able get get out bed without help. You'll also probably be on an morphine drip. until you can do solid food again.

Try and have a nurse get you ambulatory after a few hours. It will still hurt, but even if you're just walking up and down the hall slowly, it will make it easier when you get home instead of just lying in bed.

by Anonymousreply 2307/11/2013

R20, do not surf the internet looking for medical information. Google has no sense of proportion; one finds only the anomalies about which others post. Similarly, do not ask for medical information here; each person has only his own or anecdotal experience.

Ask your doctor. If you don't trust your doctor, find another doctor. Even if you DO trust your doctor, consult another doctor about treatment options.

And, R22, historically gall bladder problems were associated with the 4F's: fat, female, forty and flatulant. (Those over 40 fell into the same category.) These were not determinants, but were typical of sufferers.

by Anonymousreply 2407/11/2013

good luck op! wishing you a full and speedy recovery!!

by Anonymousreply 2507/11/2013

I was walking out of the hospital within an hour of waking up. I was really thirsty & chugged a supersized iced tea. Then I threw up. After that, no problems. I didn't fill the prescription for pain meds & didn't need them.

Just lucky, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2607/11/2013

My 80-year-old mother had hers removed last year, after enduring the worst pain of her life from gallstones.

Outpatient surgery, no big deal. She's fine now.

by Anonymousreply 2707/11/2013

Don't do it.

99% of the time it isn't necessary.

The surgery can lead to pancreatitus.

by Anonymousreply 2807/13/2013

My sister died while having her gall bladder taken out. She drank a lot. Do you drink a lot, OP? I got her stuff, too.

by Anonymousreply 2907/13/2013

Had it removed a few months ago robotically with a tiny incision through my belly button. It went well, and had a little discomfort for a few days. Was back to work within two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3007/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!