Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bigamy vs Gay Marriage

I don't think there's any relation between them, but the freeper trolls think they've got a great new talking point calling us hypocrites if we oppose bigamy, as the vast majority of Americans do. So what say you DL, what are the arguments yea and nay for bigamy?

by Anonymousreply 2407/02/2013

I think I'll ask Michelangelo Signorile on twitter how to respond to that accusation. I remember he bristles at that comparison so I'm sure he'd have a great response.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

Bigamy, polyandry, and polygamy are nice in theory, in an ideal world everyone would be free to marry however many consenting adults they love.

But in the real world, multiple marriages are almost always seriously abusive to women, such as Mormon and Muslim polygamy. For now at least, the greater good is achieved by legalizing plural marriage only.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

In theory I have nothing wrong with bigamy if it was truly consentual.

However I don't see the comparison. One cannot help being attracted to the same sex, if you want to get married, you have to marry someone of the same sex.

There is no such thing as a polygamist sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

Change the topic. Every time they bring up gay marriage or bigamy ask, "How many years did Rick Santorum's wife live with the abortion doctor?"

Though I don't know the answer, it was more than four because he put her through four years of college. Republicans retreat when you bring that up.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

I think you could compare it to people with multiple marriages.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

What R2 said. Not that I think that would convince anyone who's bigoted enough to use that argument.

Jesus, they keep comparing us marrying someone of the same sex to bestiality. How much more proof do we need that they're not interested in serious debate?

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

This thread was inspired by an obnoxious Lady Gaga fan, btw. Trolldar r56 in the linked thread below. And I think that person was stalking me there, from an encounter in a thread days earlier, where he was doing his bigamy/hypocrisy thing.

The Janbot was trollar'd defending Chick-Fill-A last year too. Those "bot" people all seem to be seriously deranged trolls.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

I'm fine with it being legal so it can be regulated better. Right now, polygamy skews toward creepy underage shit, and welfare fraud.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

Bigamy destabilizes society.

As practiced, plural marriages are always one man and multiple women. Math tells us that too much of this and you'll have a shortage of marriage-able women. Women will go only to those men with the most resources. Men with few resources will have no wives at all. This leads to a very unhappy underclass of single men. And unhappy underclasses of single men are disastrous to a stable society.

Look at how places where bigamy flourishes - Saudi Arabia for example -- have to use a very heavy handed police force with lots of human rights abuses just to keep things stable.

This is not a path we wish to follow.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

And in the real world, R2, traditional marriage has been incredibly abusive to women. But that is not a reason to outlaw marriage itself.

I'm not a freeper - and I certainly wouldn't want to give the Right any ammunition - but I have to say that I believe marriage equality could and should extend to polygamy... in a perfect world.

I think it is perfectly plausible for a person to have a deep love for more than one spouse - and for those individuals to go on and define their own unique family unit.

R2 and R8 are right, however, in that the polygamists that we hear about, at least, are abusive, creepy, religious pedo creeps. THAT clearly is wrong and should be illegal.

But I can certainly imagine there could be legitimate, polygamous unions between clear thinking, reasonable, loving and consenting adults.

Who are WE to judge?

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

Constitutionally speaking, I don't believe there is anything you can really argue against bigamy. Homosexuality used to be illegal just as bigamy is now and now homosexuality is not only legal gays are allowed to marry.

When people brought up the bigamy question, I always answered, well you're probably right. If a married couple wanted to extend their legal rights to a third or fourth, the defeat of DOMA has helped in their fight to legalize that union.

But it's a brave new world and that isn't a bad thing.

That is why the Mormon aspect of all of this was so interesting. LDS Mormons supported Prop 8, not so much from a hatred of gays but more as a way to prevent their Fundamentalist brethren from gaining ground on the multiple wives front.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

Make no mistake about it, R11. It was their hatred of gays.

Pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

You should be able to marry as many people as you want but only the first marriage counts for anything as far as government benefits such as taxes and survivorship, etc.

Same should go for kids, btw, except it's the first two kids as far as taxes and any other kind of benefit.

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2013

Simple answer. It's about EQUALITY. One to a customer is as equal as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2013

F&F for R3

by Anonymousreply 1607/02/2013

r14 seems like the troll I was talking about, but trolldar isn't identifying him, could've deleted his cookies I guess. I posted an invite to him in the Gaga thread I linked. I wanted you all to see what he was like in his full glory, a bizarre mix of homophobia and Gaga worship.

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2013

*Do bigamists receive multiple wedding gifts? *Do they celebrate each and every anniversary of the multiple spouses ? That could get pricey! *Does everyone sleep together? if not,How do they keep track of who's 'night' it is ?

by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2013

Bigamy and same-sex marriage aren't logically related. It's like saying, "If you support desegregating public parks by race, then why don't you support desegregating public bathrooms by sex?! Hypocrite!!!"

There's no logical connection between them, and the comparison is offensive.

But r3 has it right in his last sentence imho. Making it illegal to choose a spouse of the same-sex effectively singles out a class of people (gays) for unequal treatment. Banning polygamy makes it illegal for EVERYONE (gay, straight, black, white, male, female) to have more than one spouse. There is no class of person being singled out for discriminatory treatment since the same proscription applies to everyone equally. It does not advantage or disadvantage one particular class of person.

by Anonymousreply 1907/02/2013

OP, based on your posts in the 'aborting gay fetuses' thread, you're a fine one to talk about trolling....

by Anonymousreply 2007/02/2013

It's a demented troll, OP. Ignore and don't let it get under your skin. You're giving it the attention it craves.

by Anonymousreply 2107/02/2013

Ever since divorce was legalized we HAVE legalized polygamy, but now it's called serial monogamy.

We have a legal system where you can have only one legal relationship to another, ex-wives were all wives and a man of many wives is a polygamist.

In strict Christian homes where divorce is not recognized the second marriage is considered adulterous and plural. Oy!

Gay marriage has no relation to that.

Gay marriage creates a legal relationship between people of the same sex. Period.

by Anonymousreply 2207/02/2013

[quote]Do bigamists receive multiple wedding gifts?

They register at Costco.

You know, so you can buy in bulk.

by Anonymousreply 2307/02/2013

My reply would be, "if you do not know the difference, it's not worth my speaking about it with you."

by Anonymousreply 2407/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!