Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Orson Welles, catty bitch --

Laurence Olivier was "stupid", Spencer Tracy "hateful" and Charlie Chaplin "arrogant", and he could not even bear to look at Bette Davis.

James Stewart was a "bad actor", Joan Fontaine had "two expressions, and that's it", and Norma Shearer was "one of the most minimally talented ladies to appear on the silver screen".

He had mixed views of Alfred Hitchcock: "I've never understood the cult of Hitchcock. Particularly the late American movies … Egotism and laziness. And they're all lit like television shows … I saw one of the worst movies I've ever seen the other night [Rear Window] …

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

Oooh, he needs to come sit by me!

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

"and Norma Shearer was "one of the most minimally talented ladies to appear on the silver screen".'

Just as a stopped clock is right twice a day, Welles's vitriol had to have some relation to the truth at least once.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

Isn't there a thread on this already?

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

And that was before he got deep into the Paul Masson.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

Here's another DL thread where he said a bunch of catty stuff.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

I read the excerpts from Henry Jaglom's book, of conversations with Welles, in NEW YORK magazine. Was Orson gay? He certainly sounded like he was. He was really bitchy when Richard Burton came over to say Hello and asked if he and Elizabeth could join him.

I was particularly laughing at the parts where Welles was going on about some head of a studio "wanting him". Orson Welles, even when young and thin, was not exactly a very handsome man.

He came across as a bitter beaten old man, whose day in the limelight was long over and he simply couldn't accept it.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

William Randolph Hearst won. That is why Orson was so troubled.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

OP: What fattie said was the he was surprised that Stewart was bad in Rear Window, not that he was a bad actor.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

Never gets old.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

I love when he says about Richard Burton, "Now he just works for money, does the worst shit". Had he looked at his own resume of the past couple of decades? Did he do all those commercials because they were such artistically worthy projects?

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

Orson knew of a remote farm in Lincolnshire.....where every July, peas grew.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

Orson's appearance in the Pia Zadora epic "Butterfly" showed his eternal commitment to true ART!

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

I never understood John Candy's rambling Orson Welles impression. It was well before the Internet, so I'd never heard the orson Welles frozen peas rant that Candy's impression was based upon.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

Oooh, I like the sounds of him.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!