Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why are sliders so popular now?

On every menu there is a slider option. In the market, they are now selling special slider buns. Enough with the sliders!!!

by Anonymousreply 5007/02/2013

Fill me in - what the hell is a slider?

I don't go to restaurants often.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

Where in the hell are y'all from?

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

I've never understood why it's called that.

Is it because they're so greasy they slide down your throat?

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

you mean subs, right?

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

Sliders are small burgers.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

Culinary trucker hat/PBR.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

Originally, it was the nickname for White Castle's little square hamburgers because, as R4 stated, they are so small and greasy they seem to just slide down your throat.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

I've ALWAYS been here, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

I've been seeing other small sandwiches besides burgers referred to as sliders.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

My grocery store is now selling slider buns.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

I think it somehow appeals to people who think they are being health-conscious somehow.

In your head, three tiny hamburgers are better than having one regular sized one. However, if you order sliders as an appetizer, you are essentially just adding a hamburger to your meal.

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

I used to go to a fast food place in the '80s: Sliders & Nails. They were very delicious.

I think people are starting to realize that an 8 oz burger is too damn much meat.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

In the new place that just opened across the street from me, they have

Burger Sliders, PBJ sliders, Ham and Swiss sliders, BBQ sliders, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

White Castle hamburgers are incredibly greasy. They're OK once in a while, but easy to get tired of.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

Sliders have been in non White Castle restaurants for years now. It's nothing new.Now there are get this...Kobe Beef sliders! why charge a buck for something when you can get five.....

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

A new way to sell more bun than beef.

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

They're everywhere now due to the sickening gastropub trend.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

I'm waiting for Carl's Jr to take three 1/2 lb full size burgers and create attached buns for them. Introducing Xtreme Sliders!

by Anonymousreply 1907/01/2013

[quote]sickening gastropub trend.

I know! It is sickening that people want to eat better food!

by Anonymousreply 2007/01/2013

Yeah it is a popular gastropub dish. Seems more chic than a burger and people think they are eating healthier as someone else said.

How the hell do so many people not know what a slider? I know we joke here but there really are a ton of old flyover hermits here aren't there.

by Anonymousreply 2107/01/2013

My friend has a restaurant with $1 slider night. She admitted that it was a way to get rid of the random bits of food that were on the way to being spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 2207/01/2013

I think it has to be on artisan bread to be a slider.

by Anonymousreply 2307/01/2013

My grandfather showed me a slider once, it is what people used before calculators and laptops. Are people afraid of solar flares of an pulse weapon that will destroy their electronics?

by Anonymousreply 2407/01/2013

White Castle doesn't use artisan bread, and that's where sliders originated.

by Anonymousreply 2507/01/2013

Portion control OP. Control your apetite.

by Anonymousreply 2607/01/2013

Memphis has a joint called "The Slider Inn" and that's always fun to say.

by Anonymousreply 2707/01/2013

R20, +1.

Gastropubs server better food nimrod. Instead of your illegal alien sweating his ass off over a hot stove flipping factory red slime burgers, a gastropub will hire a real chef who will create real food based of the idea of your comfort crap food you like so much.

Gastropubs are awesome. The one down my street only makes things from locally sourced produce, meat and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 2807/01/2013

For Deep Southerners:

White Castle = what the Yankees call their Krystal Hamburgers.

Same kinda small square hamburgers ....

by Anonymousreply 2907/01/2013

I am so over the "locally sourced" thing. It's just another hipster invention. They really are destroying the world.

by Anonymousreply 3007/01/2013

Aren't sliders something you wear on your feet?

by Anonymousreply 3107/01/2013

You are an idiot R30. Locally sourced food is a tangibly positive thing.

by Anonymousreply 3207/01/2013

Love all the precious ones who haven't heard of that icky thing called a slider!

by Anonymousreply 3307/01/2013

What's great about making sliders is that you can put a single pickle or other condiment on them. Everything is more neatly distributed on a slider when you eat them.

by Anonymousreply 3407/01/2013

R30, I hate hipsters for appropriating so many things, using their trust funds, and being too cool for school...just as much as you..

But locally sourced food means that the food doesn't have to travel far to get to your mouth. The further your food and its ingredients come from, the more of a chance that there has been pesticides, preservatives, and other shit involved in the packaging and shipping of that food (often times many different shipment points) to get to the ultimate destination - your plate.

If your food is also truly organic, even better.

Read about this below...

by Anonymousreply 3507/01/2013

Burgers have a high enough profit margin, but restaurants must really love being able to sell three silver-dollar-sized hamburgers for $12.

by Anonymousreply 3607/01/2013

[quote]I am so over the "locally sourced" thing

Yeah, what a shame that my food be fresh. I like the factory stuff myself.

What are those people in Italy doing anyway living longer then us eating all their food fresh and locally sourced. How dare they, don't they know about pink slime yet?

by Anonymousreply 3707/01/2013

[quote]Gastropubs are awesome. The one down my street only makes things from locally sourced produce, meat and cheese.

Haha, that's what you think. Do you believe everything a business tells you?

by Anonymousreply 3807/01/2013

Yes it is just awful that people want to eat smaller portions. We don't have enough fat people in America.

by Anonymousreply 3907/01/2013

I think it's funny that high end establishments have appropriated the word "slider" without regard for its origins. There are no White Castles in CA. The next time I see a "slider" on the menu I'm going to ask whether it's meant to signify that the food is greasy.

by Anonymousreply 4007/01/2013

r39 most people don't eat just one slider. They'll buy like a dozen. Sliders are a good portion for younger kids, but I've yet to see one adult who has stopped at just 1 slider. I would say that they would order the equivalent of a quarter pounder.

by Anonymousreply 4107/01/2013

Oh please people order twenty fucking little sliders and don't end up eating any less, they just get to also feel smug pretending that they have.

by Anonymousreply 4207/01/2013

[quote]How the hell do so many people not know what a slider? I know we joke here but there really are a ton of old flyover hermits here aren't there.

Clearly. Because being familiar with sliders is the ultimate mark of cosmopolitan sophistication.

by Anonymousreply 4307/01/2013

No R38, I actually check.

Every company is capable of lying to you. The ones advertising a specific puts themselves at legal risk if discovers they are not providing what they claim. So why put your restaurant as risk if you know sooner or later you will be firing people who know what is really going on in the kitchen.

Sure beats the say nothing crowd. As in buying ground beef instead of a specific cut. Because it just says "ground beef" it can be any part of the cow. The lymph nodes, stomach, head, tongue, eyeballs, end trails.

Oh, and since were never claimed "Pink Slime free", you cant sue us because you were too stupid to realize if you dont ask, we wont tell.

by Anonymousreply 4407/01/2013

I have never done the "oh my" shit before...but the attitude of the poster was just too much:

[quote]Sure beats the say nothing crowd. As in buying ground beef instead of a specific cut. Because it just says "ground beef" it can be any part of the cow. The lymph nodes, stomach, head, tongue, eyeballs, end trails.

end trails - OH FUCKING MY

BTW R44, would love to know how you check. I have visions of you parked on your mobility scooter covered in black watching all of the deliveries and picking through garbage after hours with one of those claw things people use to pick up things without bending over.

by Anonymousreply 4507/02/2013

If it were not for the Food Network, I'd probably not have a clue as to what they are.

It seems very, well, frau-ish to me, a phenomenon to put the fun back into T.G.I.F. restaurants and that sort of place, something to order for one's annoying, clammy-handed precocious children, a point of conversation as to where to buy the best slider buns....

Another thing to blame on the Scripps Interactive Network, along with "pop of color" and "yummo" and "touch of whimsy" and "kick it up a notch!" and faces falling like souffles when they see that a kitchen doesn't have "upgraded" stainless steel appliances.

by Anonymousreply 4607/02/2013

"Sliders" are some stupid east coast thing. They're tiny burgers for those who don't know.

Being from down south, when I moved up to the Northeast, first to Boston then to New York, I began hearing of them.

They seem to be everywhere now, as the OP says. I have nothing against them but the name IS a bit tiresome.

I supposed they're marketed to those who like bar and pub food. I've had them on occasion, nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 4707/02/2013

This sounds like something designed to entertain the mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 4807/02/2013

Low carb it! Put a huge hunk 'o meat on one of those lil' bitty buns and ride, baby!

by Anonymousreply 4907/02/2013

Years ago, I went to a wedding reception in Arkansas that served, among more traditional fare, Krystal hamburgers.

People laughed when the saw all the little boxes on that table stacked up in the shape of a flat pyramid, but as the evening wore on and people got drunker, I noticed those little hamburgers were quite the hit.

Turns out the bride and groom met a Krystal restaurant. Awww.

by Anonymousreply 5007/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.