Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I adopted a dog this weekend

from a no-kill shelter. The people there didn't know anything about the dog other than it was brought in as a stray.

I took the dog home anyway. It was microchipped, given up to date shots, bathed and given flea and tick and heartworm treatment at the shelter.

When I got home I found the dog was fully housebroken, could do tricks and adapted easily to her new surroundings.

Why would someone let a dog like this go missing? Is there any chance the shelter could call me and say the original owner has been located and I have to give the dog back?

by Anonymousreply 8807/10/2013

Two words:

Cu Jo.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

A lot of people don't give a shit about other people, why do you think they would have a problem with turning their back on a dog, cat, etc?

It's the disposable society, and that includes humans and animals, sad to say.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

Those aren't usually the same people who would train a dog, R2.

I know someone who had to be transported to a hospital by ambulance, and the EMTs let her dog out. She died and afterward her relatives were unable to find her dog. When they finally located him, he had been adopted to a good home. They knew it would have made her happy, so they let his new owners keep him.

Since then I've wondered how many animals get loose when police or EMTs come into a home and leave doors hanging open.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

A friend of mine and his partner are moving into a condominium soon. They just found out on Friday that they're not allowed to bring their two dogs. So my friends have decided they're just going to get rid of their dogs.

HTF they didn't know until the last minute they couldn't bring their dogs is beyond my ability to reason. Magical thinking?

It's not my issue, I know, but I can't stop feeling mad at my friend for not having dealt with this in manner that would have let them keep looking for another place to live (they have to move a week from today).

I told my friend what I thought -- GET OUT OF THAT CONTRACT NOW! -- and he asked me to stop talking about it, that "it's hard enough without you yelling at me." But I know how much my friend loves his dogs. When you get an e-mail from him, you get a picture of him with one of the dogs in each arm.

I haven't said another word, but I honestly don't know if I want to be friends with someone who could so cavalierly get rid of the two dogs he always seemed to adore.

I can't take them, incidentally.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

[quote]Since then I've wondered how many animals get loose when police or EMTs come into a home and leave doors hanging open.

Remember when "getting loose" wasn't an issue?

In the 10,000 years of human/canine partnership, dogs ran free.

Leash laws are only about 40 years old.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

I hear you, OP. I adopted a five year old cat from a shelter many years ago. He was beautiful, healthy, had a great personality, adapted to the cat and dog we already had, and was one of the best cats I've ever had. He had been declawed and had all his shots. Someone just gave him up one day. The reason given was that the owner couldn't afford him anymore. I also see some great pets given up when people have children, too. I'm glad the dog got a good owner. Enjoy your time with your new dog!

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

The best dog I ever had came from a shelter. His college student owner had to give him up because the dog needed eyelid surgery and the owner couldn't afford it.

I was very happy I got the dog, but it was obvious his previous owner had loved him. I wish someone would have helped him keep the dog.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

You are a very good person, Mary OP.

Don't worry about it, just continue to love the precious little citizen and receive back all the love she will give to you.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

I can't understand how your friends could have gone so long in the buying process and not have inquired about the pet policy, R4. When I was buying the condo I now live in, that was the first question I asked - does the building allow dogs? I was the first buyer in the building (up to then it was rentals only) so the seller wrote in the condo docs to allow up to 2 dogs no more than 30 lbs. each - which is what I had: 2 pugs who weighed around 23 lbs. each.

I cannot imagine giving up my dogs for any reason. It would be like giving up a child.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

OP...I had a similar experience with my dog. What made it worse was that she was a Pitbull and was scheduled to be put to sleep. I was a little uncomfortable at first because of the breed, but I thought I would bring her home and find an owner for her. She was completely house trained, and very passive. Two weeks later my back went out. She laid by my side the entire time. She had me at that point, Pitbull or not. That was 10 years ago. She has by far been the most loveable, gentle dog Ive ever had, and I will be devestated when its her time to go.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

OP. I had almost the exact experience last March. A little Jack Russell/Dachshund mix who came from Animal Control. He was about to be put down after his aloted time, but the tech at animal control thought that he was "adoptable" and sent him to the humane society. I spotted him on his first day there and filled out my paper work. (I went to the Humane Society because I had lost my dog of 18 years a few months earlier and woke up that morning thinking - "Today! I must get my new dog today." ) I brought my new 6-8 month pup, named Enzo Luigi, home 3 days later (after shots and neutering) and he was house trained, crate trained (even though I stopped with crate after 2 days), walks like a prince on a leash and is all around the best dog I have ever seen. I remain thankful for the Animal Control tech who saw what a special little guy he was/is. How someone could give him up still blows my mind... but I count myself very lucky to have him.

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

My sister has a half pit bull she adopted from the shelter. The dog has adapted super well to the household and the children and is very sweet, obedient and affectionate.

Sometimes you just get lucky.

Oh, and by the way, it is awfully nice to hear Mrs Patrick Campbell say something pleasant on this board.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

What kind of tricks?

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

Op, I believe animals are not allowed to be adopted until they spend a certain amount of time at the shelter (7 days?) That is so the owner has time to claim their lost pet.

After that time, the pet is put up for adoption. So, from a legal standpoint, I think you're in the clear.

In answer to your question about why would anyone leave a pet at a shelter? Lately it seems to be the economy. Sometimes it is because an elderly person dies and the family can't be bothered to care for the pet.

Last year I was reported to the Board of Health for feeding stray cats. I made a deal with the Health Dept. to capture the cats , spay & neuter the animals and hopefully place them at a shelter.

One year later...I still have these 6 cats (Mother, 4 kittens, Mother's sister) because the shelters in my area were at full capacity at their time of capture. I decided to keep the family intact rather than split them up after all of this time.

Also, you will notice an overabundance of pets at shelters (pure breeds especially) directly after Christmas and Easter. Many people buy pets as gifts for their children then come to the realization..."the kids didn't really want little Fluffy."

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

MY first cat was a shelter cat. I named him Bootsie Gumdrops.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

R10, that is exactly how I feel. My friend says his next-door-neighbor-to-be told him dogs were allowed. That's all I know. I can't believe this is happening.

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

No, he adopted you. Never forget that.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

I would think the dog had to be given up, maybe hard times or a death of the owner?

When I was a kid we had to give our beloved dog away and supposedly it ran away from the people we gave him to. No one knows what happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 1907/01/2013

I think I'd like to volunteer to walk dogs but I'm afraid I would fall in love and I can't have a dog.

by Anonymousreply 2007/01/2013

A friend and his wife had to relocate across the country for his work and the wife was miserable. On top of being in a place where she didn't know anybody, her husband has to travel a lot and she hated being alone. So the couple decided to adopt a rescue dog.

They looked and looked for the perfect dog and finally, after months, found her. Took her home, bought tons of supplies, introduced her to the family, took photos, etc.

The very next day they got a call from the shelter--the original owner was frantic for his dog back. So they returned the dog. They haven't decided whether or not they're going to try to get a new one since the wife thinks it's a "sign" that God may not want them to have a dog after all. This was a few months ago.

Weird world.

by Anonymousreply 2107/01/2013

Let's see some pictures. This is my Enzo Luigi.

by Anonymousreply 2207/01/2013

Cute dog, R22. He's one of those mixes that are so odd they're cute.

by Anonymousreply 2307/01/2013

Thanks R23. :)

by Anonymousreply 2407/01/2013

Oh, how cute, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2507/01/2013

I can't wait to adopt. I won't do it until I have more time at home. In the meantime, I go to the dog run in my neighborhood and watch all the dogs socialize. Of course, I'm easily entertained.

by Anonymousreply 2607/01/2013

OP, what kind of dog is it?

by Anonymousreply 2707/01/2013

Don't worry about anybody trying to get the dog back. They gave it up, and once people do that they seldom try to get the discarded pet back. Enjoy your dog and love him. He's YOURS.

by Anonymousreply 2807/01/2013

Sort of similar, I bought a dog from a breeder who thought the dog had a disqualification that would prevent him from being a show/competition dog. 6 months later, she found out the trait my dog displayed did not disqualify and tried to get the dog back.

I still have the dog.

by Anonymousreply 2907/01/2013

Gah, I love/hate these threads. I love reading the new owner/pet bonding stories, but get so weepy over the abandoning/turning over pets posts.

by Anonymousreply 3007/01/2013

R4, your friend is a douche. I hope his precious new condo burns down to the ground with him in it.

by Anonymousreply 3107/01/2013

R4, your friend doesn't really love those dogs. I mean there are extraordinary circumstances which compel some to give up loved pets but not doing due diligence on condo rules isn't one of them. As someone already mentioned, that's the first question I'm asking and confirming in print. I put time and effort in researching the right food for my cats, why wouldn't I put in the same effort when it comes to a new home for my cats?

by Anonymousreply 3207/01/2013

I didn't know what kind of dog she was the sign on the kennel said "terrier/terrier mix". Turns out she is a pure bred Fox Terrier. The shelter named her "Juno" and I decided to keep her named that because Juno is the Roman version of Hera and there is a Wonder Woman-ish connection there, so...yeah...I'm a geek.

This picture I took when I met Juno in the shelter on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 3307/01/2013

That is one very good looking dog!

by Anonymousreply 3407/01/2013

[quote]What kind of tricks?

Peanut butter on my clitoris and vulva makes my Bichon Frise get very tricky.

by Anonymousreply 3507/01/2013

She does, up, sit, down, shake. And I love that she comes to the back door when she is called. My other dog, Spike (the Jack Russell mix) would stay out in the yard all day if he had his way and he takes forever to get inside the house.

We had to put our other dog to sleep in April and I noticed that Spike was acting a little mopey. He is happy to have a friend.

by Anonymousreply 3607/01/2013

I also adopted a very sweet and funny pure breed from the city shelter and she is a 7 lb little doll. Perfectly housetrained, walks beautifully and more than anything likes to ride around in a tote bag and see the world with me. People beg me to hold her. She is very very I also don't know the story - but she was abandoned - they found her on the street, her coat was overgrown and matted. These puppies go for about $1,200 - and she was trained - and I got her for $75.

by Anonymousreply 3707/01/2013

R33, people will think you named it after the Diablo Cody movie.

by Anonymousreply 3807/01/2013

No they'll think he named her after Juno Temple, the actress.

by Anonymousreply 3907/01/2013

Our local SPCA was having a special for the month of June. $35 adoption fee. Adult cats were free.

They have a store in the building and I bought a new harness and leash and a nice, new kennel for her. Ended up spending around $100 when all was said and done.

My partner took Juno to the vet today to make sure everything was fine health-wise and it was. She did get some sort of butt test and a shot for some virus that is transmitted through racoon and possum pee.

Oh and the fist night we got her we were getting ready for bed she jumped right up on the bed and snuggled with Spike.

Spike was a rescue dog too and I knew that rescues would be the way I would go from now on. Our dog that we had to put to sleep was a very expensive dog from a breeder. We loved her to pieces and were sad to see her go, but rescues from now on for us.

by Anonymousreply 4007/01/2013

[quote]Oh and the fist night we got her we were getting ready for bed she jumped right up on the bed and snuggled with Spike.

She knew she was home.

by Anonymousreply 4107/01/2013

[quote] You are a very good person, Mary OP. Don't worry about it, just continue to love the precious little citizen and receive back all the love she will give to you. by: Mrs Patrick Campbell

I like this new and kind incarnation of Mrs. Patrick Campbell. I am going to start signing really nice posts as MPC or Miss Hellen Bedd (PhD) as subversive payback. If we are all MPC/MHB together, writing nice things, it should leech out the normal toxic misogyny/misanthropy from their respective posts.

by Anonymousreply 4207/01/2013

[quote]R33, people will think you named it after the Diablo Cody movie.

[quote]No they'll think he named her after Juno Temple, the actress.

Well, I immediately thought of the Roman goddess Juno, wife of Jupiter and counterpart to the Greek goddess Hera.

Sorry your friends are such shallow morons.

by Anonymousreply 4307/01/2013

Don't get too excited about MPC.

Even Willard liked rats.

by Anonymousreply 4407/01/2013

To the person complaining about leashes- Dogs are scavenger animals and many have a high prey drive, why the hell would you want them running around outside without their owner? Every time have been attacked by a dog, it was unprovoked, and the dog belonged to some tool that thought their dog would never hurt someone and let it wander.

by Anonymousreply 4507/01/2013

In a rural part of the city/county where I live, there's a huge pack of stray dogs who've become feral and very dangerous to humans and other animals. They regularly bring down livestock and local law enforcement have put out a shoot to kill order for them.

That's why we have leash laws.

by Anonymousreply 4607/01/2013

r40 mentioning a harness and leash reminded me that radio pet authority says the leashes that warp around the a dog's snout are dangerous. He says it's painful when the dog's face is pulled when you pull on the leash.

by Anonymousreply 4707/01/2013

So great for you OP that your expectations were succeeded and that fact that you adopted a dog.

by Anonymousreply 4807/01/2013

What alternative does he suggest, R47? I don't have one of those wraparound leashes but I have considered buying one.

It looks like I have a choice between my constantly pulling dog causing more damage to my already injured shoulders or the dog's discomfort. I have a z-coil leash and it has helped some but it doesn't stop him for long.

by Anonymousreply 4907/01/2013

R4, your friend is a piece of shit!

A *former* friend of mine did something similar. She and her hubby had planned to move across the country, spending about a week driving and visiting family along the way. (Their kids were already shipped to the new city ahead of time, to stay with grandparents.) And yet my friend insisted she couldn't bring their cats with them!

They'd had Chopper for like 5 years, he was a real sweetie. And Jamie [stupid name for a pet, imo] was the oldest boy's cat, and had been since kittenhood 2 years earlier.

But noooo, it was just too inconvenient to take those cats with them in the minivan, so the cats were given to the humane society!

Seriously, the last time I spoke to my "friend", I told her she was a selfish bitch and a bad parent. That was years ago, and I don't regret it at all!

How the hell can you do that to your pets, and more important, your children?!?

by Anonymousreply 5007/01/2013

My partner let the dogs out and went out with them. Next thing he sees is Juno running up the street. The lawn service was there and had left the gate open. The lawn service guy caught Juno while my partner grabbed Spike and put him in the house. He said he was scared to death.

Last Saturday we got pet i.d. tags at PetSmart with each dog's name on the front and our address and phone number on the back.

by Anonymousreply 5107/02/2013

OP, perhaps the gate should have a sign that it should always be closed.

by Anonymousreply 5207/02/2013

R50, I am wondering if I am going to consider my friend *former* as a result of this event. On the one hand, they're not my dogs, and it's none of my business. On the other hand, do I want to be friends with someone who would treat his dogs -- until last week, they were his children, his [italic]babies[/italic] -- in such a cavalier manner.

I really don't know what I'm going to say to him next time I see him if he goes ahead with this plan.

by Anonymousreply 5307/02/2013

IMO, certain things are good indicators of whether or not someone is, generally speaking, a good person. Examples include how someone treats restaurant personnel, whether or not someone returns the cart to the proper place at the store, how one responds to those in need, etc. However - the BEST indicator is how someone treats their pets. So - these people who discard cats and dogs when they are no longer convenient... Well - they are revealing their true natures and should be thereafter dealt with accordingly, i.e. demoted to the status of "ex-friend."

by Anonymousreply 5407/02/2013

lah, at R54, I remember when you gave you and your partner's elderly dog a bath and haircut, and then posted before and after photos. You did a very good job, and it was such a sweet thing to do!

by Anonymousreply 5507/02/2013

Enzo and Juno are both cuties!

lah, ITA with you about how character is revealed through how one treats one's pets.

by Anonymousreply 5607/02/2013

R55. You are very sweet to remember that silly picture of my partner's dog (our pup... and by the end I claimed the little fella as mine) Bingo. I loved that silly little dog so much. We lost him last February. He was almost 19 years old. RIP BINGO!

by Anonymousreply 5707/02/2013

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

by Anonymousreply 5807/02/2013

I was browsing listings at various no-kill shelters the other day, and saw that someone abandoned their 10 year old BLIND cocker spaniel in their apartment when they moved, and left no food or water. can you imagine??? people are sick.

by Anonymousreply 5907/02/2013

"They just found out on Friday that they're not allowed to bring their two dogs"

I would live in my car with my 4 cats before I'd ever "get rid" of them.

by Anonymousreply 6007/02/2013

R50, I hope your former friend crashes her precious minivan and is incinerated in it.

by Anonymousreply 6107/02/2013

"One family brought in a dog that was sweet as hell because they were going on vacation and didn't want to pay to board him. "

This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever read on DL.

The husband and wife clearly had enough money to go on vacation, but not enough money to board their pet for one or two weeks? Their reason for giving up their dog sounded like a truly lame ass excuse to get rid of their pet.

When they returned, did they have enough to pay their mortgage or rent and other bills? Were they so poor they moved into a shelter? Seriously, if you have to give up pet to take a trip because you didn't want to or couldn't afford to pay to board the pet, you certainly cannot afford that damn trip.

We have tests in this country to drive a car, get into college etc, why not a test to see if a person is qualified to have a pet? I won't even get into the major assholes who should never be allowed to procreate!

by Anonymousreply 6207/02/2013

OP, you did not "adopt" a dog.... you bought him, like any other pet. Not sure why so many people have trouble saying that.

by Anonymousreply 6307/02/2013

Why is that a distinction, R63, you're compelled to make?

by Anonymousreply 6407/02/2013

They're living beings, R65.

by Anonymousreply 6607/02/2013

R15/60, you're wonderful! Are you a lesbian? I ask that politely; I think lesbians are especially wonderful with multiple cat households.

To the poster that questions the word "adoption", you are strictly speaking correct, but depending on where you live, some areas are really pet-centric. For example, I used to live in SF, and around - 2001? guessing - I remember a proposal before the City of San Francisco that the word "owner" (as regards people with pets) should be stricken and replaced with the word "guardian.

I am NOT making this up! Proposal didn't pass, but is interesting, people's mindsets.

by Anonymousreply 6707/02/2013

OP, what a beautiful Jack! I wish you all the best. You are about embark on a love story with your new dog that will last many years.

by Anonymousreply 6807/02/2013

OP thanks for sharing :) This is a nice story and I'm glad the dog has a nice home now with a loving owner.

by Anonymousreply 6907/02/2013

R5/65 is a rightwing nutjob. Language and circumstances evolve, you neanderthal.

by Anonymousreply 7007/02/2013

You complain about everything don't you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7107/02/2013

After driving cross country with a friend and his 3 cats during a move, I think perhaps putting them up for adoption would have been the kindest thing. We had meds from the vet all the supplies we needed, stopped in pet friendly hotels each night; but the cats were a wreck. They were sick and wailing each and every day. The oldest cat and most beloved died only a few weeks after the trip. We felt it was the shock of the trip.

by Anonymousreply 7207/02/2013

r72- I've driven cross country with my 2 cats (round trip) within 3 months without drugs and they were fine. At the time, one cat was 12, the other was 7. But then, they're Bengals, so they're more like dogs- I used to walk one of them during pit stops.

by Anonymousreply 7307/03/2013

R72 - your friend is directly responsible for the death of his "beloved" cat. I hope the two remaining cats shit in his bed everyday and piss in his shoes. And I hope the dead cat haunts your friend's dreams until he dies.

by Anonymousreply 7407/03/2013

How is the dog doing OP?

by Anonymousreply 7507/08/2013

I've taken in two shelter dogs. The first was just a mess, incredibly timid and scared of absolutely everything. She was on doggie death row, and it was her last day, I just couldn't say no. It's taken years, and she's still kinda skittish, but she's come out of her shell and is just a joy to have around.

The second dog didn't have any notable problems and has been an active, happy mutt.

You never know what you're going to get with a shelter dog, but it's worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 7607/08/2013

I was unable to convince my friend to do anything but give his dogs away. I'm still friendly with him. We had breakfast yesterday. But I wouldn't let him talk about his new condo, into which he's moving today.

I have nothing but bad feelings about this move, which cost him a hundred and ninety thousand dollars and two dogs. I think not doing due diligence, i.e., getting it in writing that his dogs were allowed [italic]before[/italic] signing any paperwork, was his passive-aggressive way of getting rid of animals he didn't care about any longer, which makes him a shit in my book.

by Anonymousreply 7707/08/2013

^ R4

by Anonymousreply 7807/08/2013

I don't have a dog because I don't think it would be fair to leave it at home as I'm often away for work. It really pisses me off that people unload their pets so casually - especially when they're "moving".

I'd live in a tent before I moved somewhere that wouldn't allow me to take my pets.

You can tell a lot about people from the way they treat their pets.

Punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 7907/08/2013

[quote]You never know what you're going to get with a shelter dog, but it's worth the effort.

You never know what you're going to get with ANY dog (or cat), but one advantage to adopting a grown pet from a shelter is that there is some personality (and possibly track record) there to be judged.

It's absolutely worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 8007/08/2013

The best dog I ever had was a shelter mutt. I take my current dog to the dog park a good bit and I have done so for years. It used to be that he was one of a few mutts there and most dogs were purchased pedigree dogs. Over the last few years, I have noticed a shift away from pedigrees. It is almost like there is a negative stigma when someone talks about purchasing a dog from some breeder (who in general have horrible reputations) as oppose to adopting a dog in need.

by Anonymousreply 8107/08/2013

Juno is great. We have discovered she has an indoor bark and and outdoor bark. Indoor is a whisper and outside is a bellow. Someone must have spent a lot of time training this dog.

by Anonymousreply 8207/08/2013

OP, you're so lucky- most often Fox Terriers are a handful. And Juno is lucky to get someone like you to appreciate her.

by Anonymousreply 8307/08/2013

Juno also goes outside, does her business and comes right back to the door to be let in. Spike, on the other hand, stays outside as long as he can standing on a rock and pretending not to hear me when I yell for him to come into the house.

And Juno will lay curled up in a dog bed all night long. If she jumps up on the bed she has to be between legs. Then Spike decides if that is good enough for her, it is good enough for him and does the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 8407/08/2013

Have we seen a pic of Spike, R84?

BTW, the dogs my friend gave away were a Bichon Frise and a Maltese mix (also white).

by Anonymousreply 8507/08/2013

Juno sounds awesome. You were very lucky to find her.

by Anonymousreply 8607/09/2013

R31/R61/R74 is splendidly venomous!

by Anonymousreply 8707/09/2013

Thank you R87, People who abuse or abandon animals have a special place in the depths of Hell waiting for them.

by Anonymousreply 8807/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!