Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Amazon Prime -- Instant Video

Does anyone who uses the Instant Video benefit of Amazon Prime feel that it's worthwhile. I'm on the fence about the two-day ordering, and I already have a Netflix account. Is Prime worth it?

by Anonymousreply 4010/17/2013

I'm meh about it.

I like that they have Ab Fab.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

What you can't get through Amazon Prime just pay as a one-off from iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

Selection isn't great - a lot of repeat titles from Netflix. But the 2-day shipping is totally worth it. Usually receive my packages in one day.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

I have and love Amazon Prime. But I order off amazon regularly and appreciate the fast shipping.

It is true that in terms of content there is a good amount of overlap with Netflix and Itunes.

But if you use a Roku(as I do) you can set it up to watch your Amazon content through your TV while there isn't an iTunes channel.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

They offer a free trial.

I just finished the free trial, mostly because I was doing an unusual amount of shopping on Amazon.

If you are going to do Prime, do it for the shipping if it worthwhile to you. I didn't find the video selection to be all that. And since I don't expect to be shopping all that much on Amazon for the near future, I didn't think the video selection was worth the extra money. There was very little offered I hadn't seen on Netflix and the stuff that was really wasn't stuff I was interested in watching.

I'd do the trial and see if you think its worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

Netflix has been having issues getting licensing deals of late. They've just lost PBS on top of losing Viacom stuff a few weeks back.

Amazon's offerings have improved quite a bit, and continue to do so.

I still hang on to both. Also, the Kindle Owner's Lending Library is another added benefit of Prime.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

Prime is good for watching episodes or even entire years of TV shows that aren't on Netflix streaming.

It's also good for movies that are not available through Netflix Streaming. I rewatched Lion in Winter recently via Prime.

Prime is not as user-friendly as Netflix streaming, so Netflix is always my preference, given a choice.

I love the free shipping because I buy so many things at Amazon, including big bags of dog food.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

If you enjoy watching streaming movies (like Netflix), then it's worth it. They offer a good selection of movies in HD and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround. It's only $80 something a year, very reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

My partner and I watched the pilot episode of "Under the Dome" this weekend through Amazon Prime. I was happy they had a CBS show, since none of the CBS shows are on hulu. Seems to me that the Prime selection is improving every day.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

It was worth it. I haven't renewed it, but probably will eventually. The 2-day shipping plus a lot of content I wanted to watch was worth it for me.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

Would recommend the free trial.

The two-day shipping is a nice, but I can't say it represents much value.

Even way out in the sticks, orders with the standard 3-5 day free shipping (for orders over $25) almost always arrived in 2-3 days; the guarantee and certainty that comes with shelling out $75 isn't worth it to me, not for that alone. Despite a steady stream of Amazon packages at my door and spending several thousands of dollars with them every year, I'm rarely that anxious to have an order in my hand.

I've gotten a fair amount of use from the Instant Videos. The selection, I agree, is far from exhaustive, but then I don't use Netflix but rather pick between Hulu and Amazon/Amazon Prime Instant Video and U.K. TV on TunnelBear.

In the end, the package is a convenience I'm willing to pay for, though it seems slightly more an extravagance than a real value.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

I use it, I love it, I also have Netflix, and I will renew it . . .

But so far unmentioned in this thread is that the Amazon Prime features (includes) a family plan so that you can authorize up to four other people to participate in Amazon Prime as a part of the base membership.

That has made several 'uncles' of mine very happy.

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

Prime is idiotic. Shipping is already free for orders over $25 and anything that costs less than that you can pick up locally easily. Netflix has very little content worth watching. Hulu Plus is fantastic only because of The Criterion Collection. I can't believe anyone actually watches normal Hulu which is all Korean soap operas and reality tv and lifetime movies interrupted by commercials every three minutes.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

[quote] Shipping is already free for orders over $25

And can take forever.

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

That R13 is a charming cunt, and he has all the answers. About every fucking thing.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

Yeah, the over $25 free shipping would sometimes take weeks for me. Like I said earlier, I usually get stuff now the next day with Prime.

[quote]anything that costs less than that you can pick up locally easily.

No idea what you're buying, but no. Most of what I buy through Amazon I cannot find locally and if I can, the price difference is worth the day wait.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

Prime can have a downside. Right after I signed up for it, I found myself constantly on Amazon, looking for more stuff to order. If you have any kind of shopping weakness, you could be in trouble.

I ordered many useful things, but then I went for the totally frivolous (a 260 count bag of Red Bird soft peppermints, cause I love them).

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

I'm so glad R13 came here to tell me I shouldn't be enjoying all the Netflix I'm watching.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

I couldn't care less about the Instant Video. But I adore Amazon Prime and every year I make back my membership fee many times over. I place two or three orders every week. Pantry items, books, music, vitamins, gifts, household appliances, cleaning supplies, health supplies, tools. I get far better prices there than even at my warehouse club on many items. The only stuff I buy locally and in person are groceries and liquor!

by Anonymousreply 1907/01/2013

Netflix doesn't have Workaholics. Love that show. 3 cute male leads

by Anonymousreply 2007/01/2013

I hate downloading video content from iTunes - it takes hours and then doesn't play properly. I have been watching The Good Wife on Prime - now up to Season 3 - and enjoying it very much.

by Anonymousreply 2107/01/2013

[quote]Prime is good for watching episodes or even entire years of TV shows that aren't on Netflix streaming

Examples please.

by Anonymousreply 2207/01/2013

R17, do tell us more about these Red Bird Soft Peppermint Puffs. They sound delish!

by Anonymousreply 2307/01/2013

Amazon now has a lot of Food Network content that you can't stream from anywhere else. Past seasons are on Prime streaming, though you have to pay for current season's shows. Ever since I cut the cable I've been wishing for some way to get Food Network shows and Amazon granted my wish.

by Anonymousreply 2407/01/2013

R22, one example is American Horror Story, which I watched on Prime before it was available on Netflix.

Another is Dexter.

by Anonymousreply 2507/01/2013

Red Stripes are melty balls of mint heaven. The other brand that is scrumptious and dissolves on your tongue is Bob's Sweet Stripes.

by Anonymousreply 2607/01/2013

Quit talking about them, you're making me hungry. I haven't eaten one of those melty mints in years.

by Anonymousreply 2707/01/2013

It's $79/year.

That isn't worth it to me just for the shipping (though I use it twice a week for stuff), and it isn't worth it to me just for the Prime selection, but put together it's probably a good deal for around $7.50/month. Netflix streaming is about that much.

You can "check out" free Kindle books if you have a Kindle, but it doesn't work without the physical Kindle. An iPad with Kindle software -- no.

by Anonymousreply 2807/02/2013

[quote]around $7.50/month

You mean $6.50 a month. After a couple of purchases a month, it pays for itself.

by Anonymousreply 2907/02/2013

[quote]Yeah, the over $25 free shipping would sometimes take weeks for me. Like I said earlier, I usually get stuff now the next day with Prime.

Exactly I have Prime. I ordered a new crock pot yesterday afternoon and it's being delivered today. I'm happy.

I'd bet real money that R13 doesn't have a friend in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3007/02/2013

I appreciate all of the feedback, everyone. Thank you! I've decided to try it out.

by Anonymousreply 3107/02/2013

Amazon Prime is driving me crazy. They're constantly sending me emails telling me that I haven't taken advantage of their free amazon prime videos. Today, I actually got a snail mail letter from Amazon. I opened it up and it was a letter exhorting me to watch free amazon prime videos.

I would, bitches, but you don't have anything I want for free. In fact, I paid for season 4 of Breaking Bad last year and when I go to my Amazon video library, it's not there. It's not anywhere. They have no record of my buying it. Douches.

For the record Amazon bitches, I don't watch free crap anymore than I want to pay to watch free crap.

by Anonymousreply 3210/16/2013

If you have a student email, sign up with that, it's $39 for students. It doesn't tell you the lowered price until you get to the sign up part. I love it. They add movies every few weeks. I've watched more movies than you can imagine, basically in my one or two favorite genres.

I'm just now a year and a half in starting to watch the tv shows. Awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3310/16/2013

I buy many things from Amazon, signed up for prime, it saves shipping costs and time.

Amazon slowed down shipping to those not signing up for prime to force them to do so.

I don't have cable and watch things on prime all the time. It is a bargain for me, costs like $6 and change a month without counting the shipping.

I have bought items not sold by Amazon but are fulfilled by Amazon and they ship free also.

There are numerous gay movies available.

by Anonymousreply 3410/16/2013

With Amazon Prime, does the 2-day shipping apply to gift orders that I send to the recipient's address? Or does it only apply to my address? Assume that it applies to any address I want to send to, but just wanted to make sure.

by Anonymousreply 3510/16/2013

[quote]Pantry items

I love R19

by Anonymousreply 3610/16/2013

Any address you pick of course r35.

by Anonymousreply 3710/16/2013

I have Netflix and am trying out Verizon Redbox Streaming. It is $8 with 4 credits for DVD rentals at the box. With Netflix, I am paying for both streaming and single DVD rentals that I admittedly rarely use. I may drop the DVD rental with Netflix and that should cover the added Redbox option within a dollar or two each month.

by Anonymousreply 3810/16/2013

If you have a Kindle you can borrow one book a month - so you can read 12 books a year for free. That's worth the cost for Prime right there.

by Anonymousreply 3910/16/2013

Nothing I want to watch is free on amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 4010/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!