Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Republicans

Can someone please explain to me how someone can be a Republican and gay? Is money more important than your own equal rights? I want to understand. I've tried to understand. Are they perhaps racists?

by Anonymousreply 16307/11/2014

The Coming Gay Republican Wave

As counterintuitive as it may sound, it seems safe to predict that this week's Supreme Court rulings that overturn key sections of the terribly misnamed Defense of Marriage Act and uphold marriage equality in California will result in more gay Americans deciding to vote Republican. No matter how controversial they appear in the short-term and no matter how many silly things my fellow Republicans say, there's little doubt that the decisions herald an unstoppable trend towards full legal equality for same-sex relationships. Once that's established, the fundamental reasons for gay Americans to vote as they do will vanish.

Of course, most conservatives are now on the wrong side of history when it comes to marriage equality. And, for this reason alone, large numbers of gay Americans (between 75 and 80 percent) are reliable Democratic voters. Although former Vice President Dick Cheney has supported marriage equality for longer than President Obama and Republican-appointed Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote a rather ringing defense of it, the four Justices most beloved to conservatives sadly sided against marriage. While overwhelming majorities of Democrats in Congress now support marriage equality, likewise, fewer than 10 Congressional Republicans have said they do in public.

But, as equal marriage becomes far more widespread and public opinion changes (80 percent of those under 30 support same-sex marriage now) the issue will diminish in significance. And once that happens, it'll be easy to predict that about half of gay Americans will vote for conservative candidates.

The logic is simple: many groups of people vote as they do because they see some intrinsic advantage to a certain set of government services, policies, and tax rates. Gay government workers, urban welfare recipients, abortion doctors, and employees of government-backed "green" energy companies probably ought to vote for Democrats. Likewise, gay small business owners, church-going Christians, two-income families with children, and farmers who rely on federal subsidies (yes, the GOP has its own client groups that want more from government) will generally find that the Republican Party does the best job speaking to them. Being gay probably doesn't make someone more (or less) likely to have any characteristics that identify with one party or another.

LIkewise, the type of family traditions that tend to result in political continuity for other groups -- Jewish Americans are overwhelmingly Democrats in large part because their parents were -- doesn't really exist for gay Americans. Since gay children overwhelmingly have straight parents, there's next-to-no no family tradition or history of being gay. While a distinct gay culture does exist, it's mostly a niche pursuit for single, affluent urbanites. Gay moms and dads who live in the suburbs probably don't frequent urban gay dance clubs any more than straight moms and dads in similar circumstances frequent straight ones.

And some broader factors will also tend to result in more gay people leaning left today will probably also diminish with time. Today, for example, gay people tend to cluster in big cities both because such cities are more tolerant and because, until rather recently, many gay people didn't see married suburban life as a viable option. Since Democrats' policies often tend to advantage cities, this gives at least some gay people reasons unrelated to sexual orientation to vote Democratic. But, as tolerance spreads in suburban and rural areas and more gay people settle down and to live suburban lifestyles, they'll also naturally favor policies that advantage suburbs.

A simple affirmation of that most conservative of all values -- marriage -- could immediately draw millions of gay Americans into the Republican camp. The GOP probably will leave these votes on the table for fear of alienating older voters. But, sooner than most people think, large numbers of gay Americans will be voting Republican.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

I don't think large numbers of us will flip and vote GOP, gay women especially.

Some? Yes.

Wholesale blocks? Nope.

Enough for them to retake the WH? Very doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

I agree, r2.

People waste way too much energy obsessing about gay Republicans.

It takes all kinds. We (gay people, that is) are everywhere, including in totally unexpected and even undesirable places.

It's certainly an odd path they've chosen, but imho our raging against them, drawing attention to them that way, is actually MORE empowering for them than just ignoring.

People are strange. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

Some people simply get off on being contrary. There are hundreds of millions of people in our country.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

Massive, nuclear-powered daddy issues. e.g.: "If I kick enough gay people in the teeth Daddy will love me because I'm not like those flaming queens who won't shut up."

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

racists.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

racist and/or misogynists.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

Personally, I don't think we should worry about gay republicans as much as we should worry about gay people who don't vote.

However, I do expect the gay republican numbers to increase tremendously once all of our gay civil rights issues are resolved.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

If the Republicans left their gay hating, racism, anti environment, poor hating, anti women, pro corporate and theocratic values by the way side...I could be a Republican...

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

Money=rights. Hello. This is America.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

Ken Mehlman. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

r6 and r7 nailed it.

the end.

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

Daddy issues.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

Have any of you actually had a conversation with a gay republican, or any republican, or is this just your assumptions based on rhetoric?

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

yes, r14. and what a stupid, possibly defensive, query.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

Assume we have not, r14.

What should we know, assuming you have?

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

[R1] -- According to your logic, Blacks would have joined the Republican Party in the 1960s following the passage of sweeping Civil Rights legislation. It doesn't add up.

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

R14, with whom should one have a conversation? Ken Mehlman? A man who spent eight years right in the ear of the seat of power pro-actively pushing the anti-gay agenda of the Bush administration, then waited until Bush was out of power to officially come out?

Or how about the countless gay Republicans who actually had the audacity to shit on Obama -who is IN office- and attempt to give credit to CHENEY for some tepid support for gay marriage and again, ignoring that pesky "out of power" support and in power anti-gay agenda.

You will never be taken seriously, esp. when you try and convince people we're supposed to laud the likes of Cheney and Mehlman when the *current* president of the United States has actually done something for gays rather than attempt to amend the God damned constitution to make sure gays like you are never recognized as worthy.

How do you respond to the actual facts presented? I'll do it for you because we've grown accustomed to the reaction: Deflect, deflect, deflect.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

Most grew up conservative and never evolved. Many are situationally closeted, lead highly compartmentalized lives and most operate under some form of cognitive dissonance. Self-loathing and a lack of awareness about it are common.

Definitely many are racists, xenophobes and misogynists. Many cherry-pick their gay causes, if any. They're pro-military and pro-family (in the trueist sense), so some are/were activists against DADT or for marriage equality. Most are indifferent to all gay rights, valuing lower taxes and no safety net for the poor over their own civil rights. They're largely silent, publicly, on ENDA, but privately I'd bet most oppose it, since it protects the economically disadvantaged, adds another government regulation for "job creators" and interferes with the free market. Never mind that somewhere, some faggot is getting fired for no other reason. They're better than that faggot and he probably deserved to get fired anyway. Realize that this attitude probably comes from someone who is closeted at work and has spent their entire lives consciously projecting a "straight-acting" persona. It's the same "I've got mine" mentality that is endemic to the Republucan Party. They're middle class and stupid enough to believe that currying favor with the rich by attacking the poor will benefit them someday.

They are callous, craven, unfathomably stupid opportunists who put their own (perceived) economic interests above everything else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 1907/01/2013

Wow, r19.

VERY well said!

by Anonymousreply 2007/01/2013

If I may, I'd like to take back my post and just be R19's toady.

by Anonymousreply 2107/01/2013

Repubs won't be able to hold on to current members let alone add Gays.

by Anonymousreply 2207/01/2013

[quote]Have any of you actually had a conversation with a gay republican, or any republican, or is this just your assumptions based on rhetoric?

R14, I've personally known several, but none very well, either co-workers, friends-of-friends or bar-hoppers in "the scene". They're typically very guarded and superficial people. I also find their politics repugnant, so forming a close relationship would be difficult even if I met one I had something in common with. But I have conversed at length with many and even discuss politics with a few; except for tepid and entirely selfish support for gay rights, they are identical to other republicans: hostile to the poor, indifferent to the middle class (which most belong to), deferential to wealth and power, jingoistically patriotic and at least 60 years out of date on race or women's issues.

One last observation: the ones I saw in social settings were heavy drinkers, to say the least.

I don't think spending your whole life obscuring your identity while chasing money and stomping on the less fortunate makes for a very happy life.

by Anonymousreply 2307/01/2013

[quote]Repubs won't be able to hold on to current members let alone add Gays.

It's kind of hard to hold onto people when they're essentially circling the drain and the grim reaper is standing by.

by Anonymousreply 2407/01/2013

OP, Gay Republicans are self-loathing morons with daddy issues. They desperately want their daddies, who are conservative and hate 'fags', to love them. So they vote Republican in order to say "See Daddy? I'm not like [italic]THEM[/italic]... LOVE ME!!"

It's really pathetic.

Either that or they're just selfish ignorant bigoted sociopaths.

It's sad to see white gay people who are racial bigots (I know a couple), and it's always that bigotry against blacks and minorities that drives their Republicanism.

In my view, there is little more pathetic than a Gay Republican.

by Anonymousreply 2507/01/2013

It's not just gay republicans who are terrible people. It's ALL republicans. No empathy. No caring. Nothing but self-interest.

As long as we have people like R19 on our side, we're good.

by Anonymousreply 2607/01/2013

[quote]According to your logic, Blacks would have joined the Republican Party in the 1960s following the passage of sweeping Civil Rights legislation. It doesn't add up.

Get your history straight. In the 60s the Democratic Party was a different party altogether. Blacks were more than likely republican in the 60s.

But anyway, it's totally different, especially for white gay men. Once the civil rights hang ups are fixed, we're white again and we get all of our white privilege back. And lets be real, many white gay men don't feel any kind of kinship with visible minorities.

by Anonymousreply 2707/01/2013

Don't you love when the Republicans try and claim some moral high ground based on the history of black people when we all know exactly why people like Strom Thurmond switched to their party?

The ideology of a rightwinger has never changed - only what they were called did.

by Anonymousreply 2807/01/2013

All of the gay Republicans I know come from families with high socio-economic status that have traditionally voted Republican. They wear their Republicanism as a badge of pride because they are elitist, even though most of their class would cheerfully send them to detention camps for the sin of admitting to having sexual congress with another man.

by Anonymousreply 2907/01/2013

R14, Yes, I've had many conversations with gay white Repubs. I'm a straight female, and I remind them that their party is no longer moderate but is being pulled far to the right. They strongly identify with their wealthy bosses and business owners. They want to be included with the "party of the elite." Their fathers were more likely to have been lower-middle class and Democrat.

I can somewhat understand those who have their own small business, are anti-governmental regulations and are totally frustrated with the way the welfare system is run. Libertarians originally just wanted less government and far more freedom of choice in all areas of their life. Of course the Repubs are trying to appeal to Independents and Libertarians, and then going in the opposite direction as very controlling, social conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 3007/01/2013

[quote]Is money more important than your own equal rights?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 3107/01/2013

Most of them are sociopaths, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3207/01/2013

R31, You're asking if once one has "made it," are they concerned with those "on the bottom?" For example, how many on DL are reading about those poor kids born into the Scieno cult who have had no education or real life choices? "Closer to home" on DL, look at the posters who make constant anti-Semitic and racist statements.

Money and status is a priority to many in America, and not just Repub gays and lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 3307/01/2013

greedy bankers and lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 3407/01/2013

[quote]They wear their Republicanism as a badge of pride because they are elitist,

I viewed the GOP that way prior to Dubya, but now I associate the party with uneducated trash.

by Anonymousreply 3507/01/2013

R35, I agree that the Repubs have become even more trashy in their co-opting of the religious Right. Still there are many who see themselves as white collar successes, even if they're really not. Another reason why Chris Christie would never be a viable candidate. He can't "work an expensive suit."

by Anonymousreply 3607/01/2013

[quote]I think a lot of you guys are liberal and aren't exactly thinking about this from a gay republican's point of view. It might a lot more complicated than daddy issues and elitism.

It really isn't.

GOProud morons like to think so, but they're only deluding themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3807/01/2013

[quote] It might a lot more complicated than daddy issues and elitism.

You left out 'racism', which I find to be THE driving factor.

by Anonymousreply 3907/01/2013

R37, I think you knowingly chose to ignore that it has already been made crystal clear to you that we know it's beyond daddy issues and elitism. Case in point: R19.

But that would've required more than a simplistic response, eh?

by Anonymousreply 4007/01/2013

Every gay republican I have ever met has been a racist.

Many of them are gun nuts too.

by Anonymousreply 4107/01/2013

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

by Anonymousreply 4207/01/2013

Mehlman said that gay men have spit on him when he's out in public since Bush left office. You wouldn't catch me spitting on him. I'd do my best to barf all over him.

by Anonymousreply 4307/01/2013

Devil's Advocate here...I say this as a queer SF liberal too.

I believe that the GOP having SOME kind of gay presence among their ranks can be beneficial to our cause, and may have actually contributed to the downfall of DADT.

Think of it this way, when I came out to my family, I was the FIRST gay person any of these people had ever met. So, in many cases, this opened them up to the cause of gay rights as a human issue, rather than a politically religious or politically social issue.

I think the same can be true within the GOP ranks. If GOP politicians and their constituents have had contact with someone gay in their lives (and didn't have the benefit of a family member coming out, like Cheney did), it puts a face on the issue, and softens the rhetoric (for some).

Look, it takes all kinds, and I don't like seeing a lynch mob in any form. We gay people can be our own worst enemies, and some of us can be very eloquent in our bitchery (as this thread has shown), but I think the existence of some gay Republicans can only help us. Call me Pollyanna, or something even more clever or demeaning, if you wish, but that's my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 4407/01/2013

[quote] And lets be real, many white gay men don't feel any kind of kinship with visible minorities.

Gay white men are *less* racist than white men in general. I'm so fucking fed up with the "gay white men are the worst bigots in the world" meme that some people keep promoting here.

by Anonymousreply 4507/01/2013

R38 is right about delusion. I've talked to many gay Repubs over the years and even dated a few. Not one has been able to articulate why he is Republican. And as I got to know them, I found that they were self-loathing. Deep down they are ashamed of being gay, so they think, "I'm gay, but I'm not like this gay over here, or that gay over there." It becomes a faux elitism where they think they are somehow higher up in a pecking order that they created based on the view of that part of society that disapproves of gays. They are also usually religious. At least for the ones I've met, at one time or another they all said something like my sexuality is no one's business to justify the fact that they were closeted.

by Anonymousreply 4607/01/2013

I'm not a Republican but I'm glad that there are gay people in that party fighting for equal rights.

And I'm kind of tired of this argument. If there are Catholic women, fighting for equal rights in their church, there can certainly be Republican gay people.

by Anonymousreply 4707/01/2013

[quote] Deep down they are ashamed of being gay, so they think, "I'm gay, but I'm not like this gay over here, or that gay over there."

And you can apply this logic to every other Republican: "I'm on medicare/medicaid/welfare/govt assistance, but I'm not like that 'free loader' over there, or over there."

by Anonymousreply 4807/01/2013

[quote]I think a lot of you guys are liberal and aren't exactly thinking about this from a gay republican's point of view.

You are correct, but its impossible to see things from a gay republican's point of view, because we posess qualities like empathy, intelligence and logic.

by Anonymousreply 4907/01/2013

There are plenty of gay Pubbies, like Mehlman, who never let on that they are gay. They hide in the closet as if they're a gay Member of Congress.

by Anonymousreply 5007/01/2013

[quote]I'm not a Republican but I'm glad that there are gay people in that party fighting for equal rights.

If only they were actually DOING that. They aren't really. They're more fighting to preserve their own rights (or more likely, profits... or white privilege).

by Anonymousreply 5107/01/2013

Exactly, R48.

And kudos to R19 for nailing it early on.

by Anonymousreply 5207/01/2013

The problem is that the Republican Party is doubling down on the anti-gay hate. I can't see many more than the 20-25% of gay people who always vote Republican. That's not going to change much until the Republicans stop being a religious party.

by Anonymousreply 5307/01/2013

[quote]I viewed the GOP that way prior to Dubya, but now I associate the party with uneducated trash.

They've lost some educated voters who might otherwise vote republican because they're presenting themselves as the hick party.

by Anonymousreply 5407/01/2013

R56 heard about bug chasing from a chain letter his mother sent around about 'perversion.'

Grease fires for the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5707/01/2013

And you then ran with it as if it's some sort of mainstream practice?

Back to iVillage you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5907/01/2013

wow, r60. time for an intervention.

by Anonymousreply 6107/01/2013

[quote]I believe that the GOP having SOME kind of gay presence among their ranks can be beneficial to our cause, and may have actually contributed to the downfall of DADT.

According to the director of Log Cabin Republicans, their lawsuits against DADT were what "put [the repeal] on [President Obama's] desk."

So, as ever, anything that is wrong is because of the Democrats, anything that goes well is because of Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 6207/01/2013

Love both R19 AND R18.

by Anonymousreply 6307/01/2013

Living in Orange County, CA, I've come into contact with many gay Republicans and Libertarians (they're just Republicans who smoke weed). All of those I've met are white men or women and the two common threads, aside from being gay and conservative, that unite them all are deep, abiding hatred of the poor and virulent, unabashed racism.

I try to limit my interactions with these people, but since the (out) gay community in OC is small, from time to time our paths cross. What always shocks me is how casual they are in expressing their racism. They just assume everyone shares their perspective, even me and I'm Mexican. I've learned not to argue with these assholes... you just can't. Whenever they start spewing their filth, that's my cue to leave. Fortunately, within the OC gay community, open minds and liberalism prevail, even if there is an unusually high rate of douchebaggery within our numbers.

by Anonymousreply 6407/01/2013

Gay Republicans are such a tiny minority that they don't warrant so much interest.

The only way gays turn Republican is if Republicans turn progressive. It could happen: their vote totals are so low that a really determined national union could flip them within ten years, but by then we'd all have figured out what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 6507/01/2013

My brother and his partner are Log Cabin Republicans. Deplorable, greedy, egomaniacal assholes...both of them. They're very secretive about money. Neither of them have a career that's very profitable so my guess is that they must've invested in the stock market at one point with moderate success.

I am now in a place where I will not be friends with or even opt to be around anyone who is Republican because they kinda make me wanna vomit.

by Anonymousreply 6607/01/2013

Willfully ignorant embarrassments

by Anonymousreply 6807/01/2013

R67 is really grasping at straws (that he's pulling out of his ass)

by Anonymousreply 7007/01/2013

[quote]Gay Republicans are such a tiny minority that they don't warrant so much interest.

Reportedly 25% of gays voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004, and for McCain in 2008, and Romney in 2012.

A quarter of all gays isn't anything to sneeze at. It's a pretty shameful statistic that the percentage is anywhere north of 5%, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 7107/01/2013

F&F R56/R60.

by Anonymousreply 7207/01/2013

An acquaintance is Cuban and GOP all the way. She is thrilled by the Republicans' bloodcurdling anti-Castro rhetoric.

by Anonymousreply 7307/01/2013

Idiots, all of them.

And they are a small minority of US.

by Anonymousreply 7407/01/2013

Actually, R75, you're assuming that everyone who posted against the LCR is a Democrat which is ignorant.

Just because someone is anti-Republican doesn't mean they identify as a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 7707/01/2013

You are an idiot too, r76.

by Anonymousreply 7807/01/2013

R76's post translates as "Everything is shit, so why bother?" with regards to gay rights.

He sat at the back at school thinking he was better than everybody else no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 7907/01/2013

Gay Republicans have Mommy/Daddy issues.

by Anonymousreply 8007/01/2013

And your post, R75, proves the widely-held belief that Republicans inhabit their very own "special" reality.

If you're gay and you're a Republican, you are absolutely, unquestionably a fucking moron. Just own it.

by Anonymousreply 8107/01/2013

You girls leap to some really interesting conclusions from relatively benign statements.

by Anonymousreply 8207/01/2013

R81, you have issues.

by Anonymousreply 8307/01/2013

[quote]The responses on this post truly highlight how ignorant, ill informed, uneducated, and narrow minded most Democrats truly are.

You're projecting again.

This is a universal trait of Republicans and conservatives these days: Pathological Projection. They constantly and consistently accuse everyone else of things THEY are actually guilty of. Time and time again. It's almost hilarious how self-unaware these people are.

by Anonymousreply 8407/01/2013

I'm friends with a gay republican. It's fascinating. He truly believes in small government principles. He calls himself an enlightened libertarian, which means, of course, that he "socially liberal, fiscally conservative". When I say that means shit because he votes right, thereby supporting politicians who are in fact the opposite of socially liberal, he just sort of shrugs and says it's not a perfect world. He'll never, ever vote Tea Party, fwiw. And he didn't vote for Mittens.

He's the nicest guy in the world, very smart, very educated. It's confounding.

by Anonymousreply 8507/01/2013

It's a hold onto your money thing - gay or straight- isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 8607/01/2013

[quote]The problem is that the Republican Party is doubling down on the anti-gay hate.

Not really. They are courting the gay vote now, haven't you been reading the news lately? Many are giving up the losing fight...

by Anonymousreply 8707/01/2013

NYC since 70s, met many, many, many right wing Gays. Males.

Gay women, not here so much. In corp world and theatre, LOTS of gay male rightwingers. Thought it was the norm until lately.

Coupla Iron Lady women in corp world. One frightening bway director/dance rightie.

by Anonymousreply 8807/01/2013

I have money, but I have a conscience, too, so I can't ever see myself voting Republican.

I think abortion is morally wrong, but I also think it's wrong to force a woman to have a child against her will. That's her decision and she's the one who has to live with it, not me.

Most people on unemployment and welfare right now aren't there because of choice or wanting a handout. They'd rather be working, but there are no jobs to be found yet for most of them. The "free market" theory is a bunch of bullshit and been proven wrong time and again. Republicans don't seem to grasp that if no one has jobs no one has the money to buy their products. If everyone is working and spending money, everyone makes more money. I don't see why that's such a difficult concept.

People in general are not inherently good and will not help out others out of the goodness of their hearts unless they are forced to through taxes. That's why our country went to shit with the Bush tax cuts. People just got greedy and stopped caring about the good of the country as a whole. We need a government to protect us from each other.

Democrats are not perfect and have their share of scandals of course like any politician, but even if gay marriage and discrimination were no longer an issue I would still vote for the long-term good of the nation rather than a short-term tax cut for the wealthy at the expense of the poor dying in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 8907/01/2013

[quote]The responses on this post truly highlight how ignorant, ill informed, uneducated, and narrow minded most Democrats truly are.

And here, ladies, is the GOP debating tactic in one easy-to-remember phrase.

Although [bold]NO, YOUR STOOPID!![/bold] isn't a terribly strong defense, it offers a clear view into the childish, simplistic mindset of today's GOP.

by Anonymousreply 9007/01/2013

clear your cookies much?

by Anonymousreply 9207/01/2013

[quote]Gay republicans have every right to make choices and vote in their best interests without being called on the carpet because their vote may be seen as antigay.

How about getting called on the carpet because their vote is stupid, then? Is that okay? Because Republican economic and foreign policies these days are, frankly, stupid.

by Anonymousreply 9307/01/2013

OP writes,

[bold]Can someone please explain to me how someone can be a Republican and gay? Is money more important than your own equal rights? I want to understand. I've tried to understand. Are they perhaps racists?[/bold]

Republican-voting people who gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered are not interested in equal protection for themselves, and they are not interested in it for other people who make the entirety of the LGBT community in the United States as well as other countries.

Their motivation, though it is reasonable to be curious enough to want to try to understand, is not important.

Any attempt by this group to give an excuse -- like with money -- is just an effort to deflect from being criticized.

This is a small club which, to put it bluntly, does not care. And at that rate, it they are not worthy of being asked whether any of the questions by OP.

Republican-voting gay and lesbian and bisexual and transgendered people are to be dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 9407/01/2013

[quote]Because Republican economic and foreign policies these days are, frankly, stupid.

Beyond stupid, they're PROVEN FAILURES. We tried them. The results were disastrous.

by Anonymousreply 9507/01/2013

[quote]the gay republicans didn't start the name calling in this thread.

Which is somewhat unique since this is DL. Away from DL, the Pubbies are always first to start the name calling. They're still following the example set down in writing by Newt Gingrich.

by Anonymousreply 9607/01/2013

R91 writes,

[bold]I'm a gay independent. I vote for candidates and not parties. It just so happens that a lot of policy thoughts line up with democrats these days. We all have to make choices as to what is important to us. Gay republicans have every right to make choices and vote in their best interests without being called on the carpet because their vote may be seen as antigay. And they should be able to do those things without being called names. [/bold]

We can take it that you [italic]never[/italic] vote for any political candidates with a "R" or "D" after his/her name.

And "gay Republicans" are not to be immune from being "called on the carpet" for their continuing alliance with the one major, American political party which deliberately works against the LGBT community. No, there is no such privilege, let alone immunity, for [italic]that[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 9707/01/2013

[italic]From the article:[/italic]

[bold]A simple affirmation of that most conservative of all values -- marriage -- could immediately draw millions of gay Americans into the Republican camp.[/bold]

Here's what the idiot of this article doesn't note:

1. LGBT people prefer liberal, not conservative, policies. They know they're at a better chance getting that not from Republicans but Democrats.

2. The changing demographics of the American electorate are moving away from the conservatism propped by the Republican party since at least the 1980s ... and they want better, more involved government action. You know -- the stuff the Republican pols claim are the problem with this country. (Even though they routinely seek office and, after getting elected, become a part of that large government problem.)

3. This current Republican party isn't actually conservative. It's backward, bombastic, and a bust.

Yeah -- that's some wave there! The LGBT community is just dying to get on board with Team Red.

by Anonymousreply 9807/01/2013

OP here. My fiance is a self proclaimed log cabin republican. I come from a different background and I am very liberal on social and economic issues.

I want to thank everyone who has commented here for their input. I enjoy engaging with people who have a different point of view, I think it is healthy to debate issues.

I don't want to change my partner's views, all I wanted to do is understand them. The interesting thing is that his parents are Democrats. I am from another country, with a different background and I've always been liberal like my parents.

In any case, thank you for your insights, I think it is important to discuss these issues.

by Anonymousreply 10007/01/2013

OP @ R100 writes,

[bold]I don't want to change my partner's views, all I wanted to do is understand them. The interesting thing is that his parents are Democrats. I am from another country, with a different background and I've always been liberal like my parents.[/bold]

In any country it is unlikely that two lovers with opposing political positions will have a lasting relationship. It's possible. But it's unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 10107/01/2013

R99 writes,

[bold]Sadly, once the Republicans ditch the Evangelicals, I'll gladly vote Repiblican. Democrats are a mess.[/bold]

We know you are already doing that, Freeper! The Evangelicals are not a factor with you.

by Anonymousreply 10207/01/2013

I prefer the term "Quisling" myself. Says so much more about their peculiar psychological issues.

by Anonymousreply 10307/01/2013

R101 I disagree. Ruth Ginsberg and Antonin Scalia share a passion for Opera. They sit on extreme ends of political viewpoints but they are able to agree on non-political views. Personally I think it is boring to be with a partner who agrees with you all the time, maybe I am alone, it just makes for a more interesting relationship when you can debate issues and and try to see things from a different viewpoint.

by Anonymousreply 10407/01/2013

In my part of the world (Texas) it's cultural. I teach at Texas A&M, a very conservative university POLITICALLY, and I know dozens of gay, Republican Aggies. Their generation accepts sexuality as a matter of DNA, but they vote their pocketbooks and conservative outlook on the world. They are black, white, Hispanic, and Asian. While I realize this would shock East and West Coast gays, Texas is pretty conservative. Even Democrats here are generally more conservative (and gun loving) than the national ones. Most Texans are libertarian at heart, so they accept what others do as long as it doesn't hurt them. It's not a contradiction to be a Republican and gay here.

by Anonymousreply 10507/01/2013

R105, I think we should distinguish between true Libertarians, and others. The former believe that what you do is your own business, as long as it doesn't hurt others. They see the need for police and fire services, but believe there's way too much government waste and inefficiency. Also that while a strong military is paramount, we don't always belong meddling in other countries.

Repub local and state elected officials skew Moderate to appeal to these Independent voters. Social Conservatives in the Repub party usually turn them off.

by Anonymousreply 10607/01/2013

College Station is much more conservative than Dallas, Houston and Austin. While I am sure your observations about gay Republicans in CS are correct, it doesn't represent the entire state.

Sadly enough, my observation when it comes to gay conservatives is that it is usually race-based. Like Romney, they view blacks and Hispanics as living off their hard-earned tax dollars. Hence, their dislike of social programs.

by Anonymousreply 10707/02/2013

indeed.

by Anonymousreply 10807/02/2013

[quote]I disagree. Ruth Ginsberg and Antonin Scalia share a passion for Opera. They sit on extreme ends of political viewpoints but they are able to agree on non-political views.

Seriously? A relationship is not a work-related friendship. That you would compare the two in this way shows you know very, very little about actual relationships. There are many people that I socialize with. Very few of them would I ever consider having a romantic/sexual relationship with.

I consider my liberal values to be intricately linked to my moral values. Helping those less fortunate, such as the poor, the disabled and the disadvantaged, is not some abstract political issue like a Clean Air Act or school vouchers; its just basic human decency. Believing that all people -- men and women, gay or straight, any race and every ethnicity, regardless of country of origin -- believing that all people are equal and deserve the same treatment and access to the same opportunities as everyone else is not up for debate, period. I couldn't be with someone who supported, even tacitly by remaining a loyal party operative without speaking out, an attack on women over birth control, or draconian immigration laws, or dismantling voting rights while intimidating minority voters. I could just not be with someone who could be so cold towards his fellow man by just turning a blind eye to these clearly conservative initiatives, let alone actually support them. It reveals something about their character.

OP, if you truly don't understand that the Republican Party is, at its roots, the party of wealthy white male hegemony, I don't know where to begin, you're either very naive or willfully ignorant. If you do know this but it doesn't bother you to date, sleep with and form a relationship with one of these cretins, then you're just as bad as him and you deserve each other. Just please stop claiming to be a liberal.

by Anonymousreply 10907/02/2013

well said

by Anonymousreply 11007/02/2013

I think r109 sounds like husband material.

by Anonymousreply 11407/02/2013

I think any gay man that aligns with the Republicant's is a turd blossom.

by Anonymousreply 11507/02/2013

[all posts by flame bait troll #11 removed (violent racist homophobic right-wing misogynist), ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 11607/02/2013

Untrue, R116. In the last election only 22% of those voters who identified as gay voted for Romney.

by Anonymousreply 11707/02/2013

OP, are you Canadian or British?

your spelling would indicate yes.

by Anonymousreply 11807/02/2013

Blatantly false, R116. The high water mark for gay GOP support was the awful Bush years, and barely hit 25%. You're either a liar or an idiot. Probably both.

by Anonymousreply 12007/02/2013

No.

by Anonymousreply 12307/02/2013

Here's the link

by Anonymousreply 12507/02/2013

Once again we know you're lying because we've all been to their message boards. And I was raised by Republican politicians so I've seen their bigotry at all levels.

It's true that Republican VOTERS do not all believe in antigay hate. They also don't believe in World Domination and Government for the 1%. But the people they vote for care about nothing else than World Domination and the 1%, and the antigay hate and racism are absolutely core beliefs of the activists who run all the conventions. So your characterization of this thread as taking the Extreme for the Totality is not accurate. The Extreme Fringe of the GOP are the so-called "moderates." And they have not made any visible progress toward changing their irrelevance.

by Anonymousreply 12707/02/2013

If r127 lives in the Northeast or some other place (very few), then that could be his experience. However, it does not describe the majority of the Republican party nationwide, which is predominantly Christian, white, bigoted and anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 12907/02/2013

Yes I do deny R128, because if that had happened, they wouldn't be the way they are today.

They need to be taken over from the outside, not reformed from the inside.

by Anonymousreply 13007/02/2013

R128, if you're a moderate Republican, you are the fringe of the party now.

by Anonymousreply 13107/02/2013

Do what you think is best, as I will.

Please note, I do not think you are, or call you an idiot or accuse you of lying.

by Anonymousreply 13207/02/2013

[quote]I will be able to make more of a difference in the social issues forum within the party by participating and discussing

How's that working out for you?

by Anonymousreply 13307/02/2013

R133, Quite well actually. I believe I have been able to open quite a few minds.

by Anonymousreply 13407/02/2013

I used to know a gay Republican, and R19 was pretty spot on. He would look down on me because of my drinking, but all along he was a crack-head...with the rotting teeth as proof. Not to mention he served time for falsifying perscription medication. The guy was a hot judgmental mess.

by Anonymousreply 13507/02/2013

R135, Have we not seen quite a bit of judgment from the left on this thread, or is that OK when it agrees with you position?

by Anonymousreply 13607/02/2013

I am politically active and I know several gay Republicans. While I as a Democrat may disagree with their stands on several issues, i respect them for remaining active in the political system.

I live in the Northeast and some of the gay Republicans I know are what used to be called Rockefeller Republicans. They are moderate to liberal on social issues, moderate to conservative on economic issues. One friend put it me like this "I believe in government, but smaller government. Excuse the double negative, but I don't believe in no government."

Some gay Republicans I know are libertarians, probably closer to true libertarianism than the Doctors (Ron and Rand) Paul. are

Other gay Republicans I know vote their economic interests. One man said he grew up in poor neighborhood, attended substandard schools but by working hard and by making up for his educational deficiencies managed to become successful and yes, very rich. He said that he worked hard for his money and why should he pay taxes for a welfare state that has failed. He said that many of the people he grew up with are druggies who have never worked for more than six weeks at a time. Why, he said, should he support them or their offspring. He has established a foundation that presents scholarships in his old community so that the recipients can further their educations,

One lesbian who is an heiress told me that her grandfather worked hard so his grandchildren wouldn't have to and that no one other than her family members was entitled to grandpa's money. She is not alone, I have met several trust fund heirs with that attitude.

Several gay Republicans I know have left the GOP and have registered as independent. They often vote for Democrats on the federal level, but admit that the reason that they did so was the fact that the Democratic candidates were usually closer to the center of the political spectrum that were the Republican candidates

As for Ken Mehlman ... I am a Catholic. When a Catholic goes to confession, he/she offers a prayer at the end called An Act of Contrition. In that prayer, the penitent acknowledges his/her sins, offers penance and promise to amend his/her life.

Mr. Mehlman has acknowledged his sin and promised to amend his ways. Using his influence among New York Republicans during the campaign for the marriage equality in the Empire State was a good start, but only a start. He is has much to make up for However, if he could persuade Republicans in Utah, Idaho, South Carolina, Mississippi and Alabama to support marriage equality, he might earn absolution

So sorry about any typos. I have had a lot day

by Anonymousreply 13707/02/2013

A lot day?

by Anonymousreply 13807/03/2013

a lot TO DRINK today?

by Anonymousreply 13907/03/2013

My Dad and Brother are so-called Rockefeller Republicans. But in all honesty, except for the liberal wing, that's pretty much what the Democratic Party has become.

by Anonymousreply 14007/03/2013

"i respect them for remaining active in the political system."

I used to have that attitude but it is a non-starter today. It's not that you disagree with them, it's that they have signed onto a criminal mafia, not a political party at all in any meaningful sense of the term.

And if they actually believed in smaller government, they would not be for Republicans who have vastly increased it, fighting wars all over the world, making the US a prison state, and increasing the bureaucracy much more than Democrats ever have.

Libertarians claim they don't vote Republican, so I'm not sure where you're getting this group, but they seem like big liars.

As for the "economic interest," it is not in the economic interest of the rich to bankrupt the country with military adventures and destroy the middle class, but that is what they are doing. What your friend complains about are "taxes" and "welfare" but not even one percent of the budget on any level of government goes for that. He may wish there to be no Medicare and Social Security, but these are not welfare for the poor and would not have been implemented if they were.

The lesbian heiress is just a sociopath. She's not "entitled" to that money either. Her grandfather would have disinherited her in a heartbeat if he had known she would lesbian.

You know some of the scum of the earth, I'll give you that.

by Anonymousreply 14107/04/2013

R119, you're full of shit and ignorant. Gay white men are *more* likely to have a non-white partner than straight white men. Get your bigoted head out of your bigoted ass.

by Anonymousreply 14207/07/2013

[quote] The majority of moderate republicans don't have any prejudice against gays, although to see this thread you would picture them stuck in a room constantly obsessing about the gay agenda.

Just because you believe in unicorns doesn't mean that they exist, cupcake.

I've seen what Republican state legislatures have been pushing over the past year - abortion, "personhood" bills, ultrasounds, stripping voting rights, union busting, illegal immigration.

If some faction of "moderate republicans" exists out there, they might want to fight the extremist agendas that are currently destroying the GOP, instead of wasting time getting butthurt over random namecalling on an internet discussion board.

Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 14307/07/2013

The Coming Gay Republican Wave aka. a tiny ripple that no one even notices.

As I'm sitting here in Ohio watching the GOP dominated legislature rape the middle class in their new state budget, so they can cut income tax on the wealthy, the idea of gays suddenly voting republican in some major way is just fucking hysterical. What an absolute joke.

by Anonymousreply 14407/08/2013

This is what happened. Sane and moderate republicans courted the crazies through race baiting and gay baiting and abortion baiting and all kinds of baiting for their votes.

What has happened is all of those crazies have taken over and the sane ones have been pushed to the fringes.

So no matter how moderate of a republican you are, you are ineffective because the tea party shouts louder.

So all of those issues that moderate republicans don't give a shit about are passed over for the other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 14507/08/2013

R142, I dunno about that -- I see an awful lot of white men with Asian women.

by Anonymousreply 14607/08/2013

America, “straight allies” is an oxymoron. Were you never in high school gym class?

Do the words “dodge ball” mean anything to you, America?

America, don’t raise a faggot and expect him to vote Republican.

I love gay Republicans, their even tans, their lovely sweaters, their faces tight as Barry Manilow’s, their violated houseboys, their Paula Deen black-butlered-ante-bellum lawn parties, mute servants in and out through the back door, and I mean the pun.

America, I’d rather there were gay Republicans in the world because they’re proof at least that people are different from each other.

You don’t seem to know that, America.

READ THE REST AT:

by Anonymousreply 14707/08/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 14807/08/2013

[QUOTE] [R142], I dunno about that -- I see an awful lot of white men with Asian women.

That is pretty common, true, but the study (maybe it was a survey) I read showed that gay white men were more likely to have a non-white partner than straights.

I know there's plenty of bigotry to go around (from all sides), but I've seen the claim that gay white men are the *worst* bigots in the world posted here pretty often. It's just not true.

by Anonymousreply 14907/08/2013

Apparently I've forgotten how to quote. R149.

by Anonymousreply 15007/08/2013

I can deal with the Republicans better than the "there's no difference between the two parties" morons.

by Anonymousreply 15107/08/2013

R45, I don't think your first sentence is accurate. And let's be honest, this site doesn't do much to disprove the "meme."

R120, I could have sworn that Obama only received 68% of the gay vote in 2008. He had to be the first sitting president in history to come out for gay marriage to get a slight bump in votes.

You're not being truthful, R121. Republican boards are horrible and incredibly offensive when it comes to gays.

Why are you so certain that it's not true, R149? You aren't exactly on the receiving end and again this site which is supposed to be about gay gossip and news, certainly makes it appear true. And the gay population is very racially segregated. San Francisco for white gays while Atlanta, DC is for black gays ( and Latinos). We have separate civil rights organizations, pride parades and everything else. So I'm just curious as to why you're so certain that it's not true?

by Anonymousreply 15210/03/2013

R45 is clearly insane. How on Earth could you disagree with that statement? Even straight people believe that this assertion is true. I've actually seen links from DL on other forums, including Republican forums discussing this issue. And I'd say that the actual racism here is what promotes the meme, dear. You are correct, R152. Obama had to come out for gay marriage in order to get the same percentage of gay votes that Kerry received in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 15310/03/2013

How could so many people blindly follow the conservative propaganda?

by Anonymousreply 15510/03/2013

I think they are fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 15610/03/2013

I know MANY pro gay Rebublicans

by Anonymousreply 15710/03/2013

Ha, ha, r157, when the party's platform is to TAKE AWAY rights from gays it does not matter. They will still be there throwing the gays into the boxcars.

by Anonymousreply 15810/03/2013

Unfortunately there are only 8 of them in the House, R157.

by Anonymousreply 15910/03/2013

R153, relying on facts rather than my own opinion makes me insane ... right.

by Anonymousreply 16010/09/2013

Gay Republicans want to be told how [italic]bad[/italic] they are.

They enjoy being pissed on. It gratifies them.

by Anonymousreply 16107/11/2014

[quote]They enjoy being pissed on. It gratifies them.

I'm offering my services.

by Anonymousreply 16207/11/2014

There are gay republicans who are republican constuents. The republicans are working on their behalf. If we assume ten per cent of the population is gay, this accounts for roughly two dozen gay republicans.

Among the rest, many are driven by the same forces that drive your typical republican to vote against their own self-interest. Either they are fixated on their racist feelings and embrace the anti-black party, or they harbor the fantasy that, someday, they will be worth tens of billions of dollars.

Then there are the ones who are republican for some sick reason having to do with their own homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 16307/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.