Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fireworks are ramping up every night and my dog is shaking.

Poor thing. He's such a tough dog, but fireworks freak him the f out.

by Anonymousreply 3407/02/2013

Pussy dog!

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

Not sure your walking/outdoor situation is w your dog but supposedly 4th of July is a common time for dogs to get spooked and run away. I'm sure things will be fine w yours but thought I'd mention it.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

My yard is fenced in, but he only goes out when I'm there. Keeping him indoors, with the windows closed and the tv on while i'm out on July 4th.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

I'm sorry for your dog, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

Stay home with him if you can. One of ours is petrified of thunder and fireworks. I fold up a heavy blanket,like a big thick pad and press it into his sides (like a "Thunder Coat"). It really keeps him calm. It also helps when I lay next to him on the bed.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

He's a very independent dog (doesn't sleep in the bed with me) does his own thing, but when those fireworks go off he comes over to me and sits right against me. So cute.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

Put him down.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

Don't pet him or fuss over him or "comfort" him when he's shaking. That just reinforces his behavior.

He's coming over to you not for comfort, but to see what you're doing, what your reaction is, to follow your lead. If you just sit there doing what you were doing, not reacting at all to the fireworks, maybe just yawning when one goes off, he will calm down. He will take his cue from you. It may take a lot of repetition of this behavior to change his behavior, but it should work.

It's imperative that you show no reaction at all to the noise, other than a yawn.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

Get him some anti anxiety med from the vet. This is a common problem. My dog started getting this way over thunderstorms later in her life when she was starting to lose her hearing. I guess whatever hearing she had left over made thunder sound terrifying to her (she hadn't displayed this kind of behavior w thunder when she was younger.) When she finally completely lost her hearing, it was no longer a problem.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

Pick up some Calmitrol wafers from a pet store, they,work wonders.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

What about thunder? A dog who is spooked by fireworks is usually petrified this time of year by the noisy storms that often appear out of nowhere and knock them silly. And scared, well, shitless.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

My Corgi is the same way. He's not phased by anything, except thunder and fireworks. If we're out for a walk and he hears even the trace of a boom from a firecracker, he will immediately turn around and lead me home as fast as he can. I try and not indulge him too much, but it's the one thing that really bothers him.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

I've always had Pomeranians and they've got a reputation for being yappy, hyper, and skittish. I also live a block away from a massive public fireworks show that reverberates through my house and echoes off the brick wall next to it.

But my Poms have always been totally indifferent to the booming. If they notice at all, it's just to look up as if to say, "Oh, what's that?" Then they go back to whatever they were up to.

The only exception was one; if he happened to be outside, he'd bark once or twice as if to "challenge" the fireworks and then went back to ignoring them.

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

[quote]A big pussy dog owner with a pussy dog. Get a cat, you wimp.

I assume English is your second language, so please allow me to help you. Dogs are the big things that say "Bark". Cats are the wee tiny things that go "meow" or "hisssss" (not to be confused with the sound made by NYC gays which is hisssssssssssssssss").

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

All 4th of July activities will be cancelled because of OP's fucking dog. I so decree it.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

R13 wrote "He's not phased by anything, ..."

The word you wanted and apparently do know is "fazed."

Learn something today.

(See, I was nice ... didn't call you an idiot or worse.)

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

RLET strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

I just wish we could enforce the law that bans fireworks inside of the fucking city— at least when it's NOT July 4th yet.

by Anonymousreply 1907/01/2013

My dog hates fireworks. They freak her out. Probably will have to get her a tranquilizer for this year.

by Anonymousreply 2007/01/2013

Get a your dog a Thundershirt.If it doesn't work send it back within 45 days & get your money back.

by Anonymousreply 2107/01/2013

How'd you like to be a pet of any kind at R16's ?

by Anonymousreply 2207/01/2013

Those thundershirts help my dog too.

by Anonymousreply 2307/01/2013

We live by the beach and have the same problem with our dogs. If it was just the 4th of July we could get through it okay. But the fireworks start the week before and then people set off fireworks all the way through Labor Day. Drives us crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2407/01/2013

The solution is simple -- stop owning pussy dogs!

Put down the ones you have and get new, thunder-immune canines.

Or get a mean ole tomcat -- they aren't afraid of anything, man or beast.

by Anonymousreply 2507/01/2013

My dog wasn't FAZED by fireworks or thunder until he was about two years old. Then he could hear thunder coming before I could! And he'd try to hide under beds or in closets until he was shaking and quaking. And this was a combo Retriever and Shepherd. Big butch dog, not a pussy dog at all. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 2607/01/2013

They are also disparaged as "fraidy cat dogs" for when you can't say "pussy dogs."

Just FYI.

by Anonymousreply 2707/01/2013

Fuck your dog. If it weren't for domestication he/she would be getting chased by wild predators in the forest. Why don't you eat the Calmitrol wafers instead?

by Anonymousreply 2807/01/2013

My dog is deaf. She doesn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 2907/01/2013

My neighbor in front of me puts on a fireworks show that lasts for hours and is not some little roman candle show. It's fucking ordinance. Our properties are only 1/2 an acre. You shouldn't be using professional fireworks in a housing development. Yes, I have called the police.

by Anonymousreply 3007/01/2013

R28, no dear mine wouldn't. Proud Tamaskan owner. FYI - She can't fit in your studio apartment.

by Anonymousreply 3107/01/2013

{r8} I just read an article that says just the opposite. That you should comfort your dog.

by Anonymousreply 3207/02/2013

ugh 28 makes me shudder. What a freaking miserable human being you are. I can tell. You probably are the frau/child hating troll too. Thank God I don't know you , miserable twat.

by Anonymousreply 3307/02/2013

Why are dogs afraid of thunder and fireworks but not other loud noises?

by Anonymousreply 3407/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!