Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jimmy Somerville

A Bronski Beat song came on the radio today, and it got me thinking about Jimmy Somerville. I wasn't even sure he was alive, but a little Googling showed that he's still around and recording.

Why hasn't he had a revival? A lot of '80s acts have found success recently going on tour, and with gay pride celebrations around the country, he would seem like a natural person to perform.

by Anonymousreply 2007/03/2013

Not sure, but "The Age of Consent" remains one of my favorite albums.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2013

back in the 90's , in San Francisco, there was a camp little tchotchke store called Uncle Mame's (later immortalized in the John Waters 'Simpsons' episode). in the window display sat a tv set that played videos.

you could veiw it from the street, and one night I strolled by and looked in the window and caught an episode of Ab Fab. I was enjoying it so much I didn't even look to see who else had stopped by to laugh with me.

it was Somerville

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

I loved Bronski Beat's "Age of Consent."

Great album.

Good question, why hasn't Jimmy Somerville had a revival with all the other 80s bands?

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

I danced with Jimmy at a post-Christopher St. Day party in Berlin a few years ago. He was very short and very drunk with a thick Glaswegian accent.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

Post Bronski Beat and The Communards, his career slipped into tacky Hi-NRG covers of gay standards. However, his recent stuff from the last couple of years has actually been rather electronic and in line what passes for modern dance music.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

Truly one of the most spectacular voices ever. That "Live from Montreaux" performance of his is really really good.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

Somerville is known to sing a great falsetto since the Bee Gees.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

I though New Order sang "Age of Consent"?

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

My friend met him in London. They were leaving the gay bar at the same time and my friend watched Jimmy get on his bike and pedal away.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

My friend and his partner met Jimmy Somerville in a bar in London. He was drunk and my friend said he seemed depressed.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

[quote]and with gay pride celebrations around the country, he would seem like a natural person to perform.

Hahahahaha. Most pride stages are full of 4th rate dance divas that club promoters/DJs think will break the next year. There's no place for originality at Pride(TM).

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

Love Jimmy and think he's a special artist...

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

Just leave, R8. Get out.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

I guess he has enough money to live.

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

R9 and R10, my partner and I were vacationing in London 15 years ago and we had the same experience, including watching him pedal off on his bike at bar closing time. We talked with him for about 15 minutes. He seemed like a sweet guy, but there was an underlying sadness in his manner.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

That's sad.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

R8, they did from the album Power, Corruption and Lies but Bronski Beat released an album called Age of Consent.

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

[quote]tacky Hi-NRG covers of gay standards

The Communards version of Never Can Say Goodbye is the theme song of Ian McKellan's Vicious sitcom. Which is fine, but the volume is cranked up so damn loud I have to mute it every time it comes on.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

r11 you hit the nail on the head. SF Pride(tm) had lady ca-ca-phony before that bubble inflated into hyperdrive, so every Pride(tm) cut and pasted (just like ca-ca-phony) like sheep hoping to score the next 'breakout'.

I was there to see a friend perform, and when ca-ca-phony came on, it was like someone threw the power switch to thousands of robots. I escaped to Faerie Freedom Village

I don't know what's happened to society when extended car alarm re-mixes are considered listenable, let alone popular

by Anonymousreply 1907/03/2013

Your type like you escaped FROM the Faerie Village, R19.

by Anonymousreply 2007/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!