Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance Of Gays Back 50 Years

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA–The mainstream acceptance of gays and lesbians, a hard-won civil-rights victory gained through decades of struggle against prejudice and discrimination, was set back at least 50 years Saturday in the wake of the annual Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade.

Participants in Saturday's Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, which helped change straight people's tolerant attitudes toward gays.

"I'd always thought gays were regular people, just like you and me, and that the stereotype of homosexuals as hedonistic, sex-crazed deviants was just a destructive myth," said mother of four Hannah Jarrett, 41, mortified at the sight of 17 tanned and oiled boys cavorting in jock straps to a throbbing techno beat on a float shaped like an enormous phallus. "Boy, oh, boy, was I wrong."

The parade, organized by the Los Angeles Gay And Lesbian And Bisexual And Transvestite And Transgender Alliance (LAGALABATATA), was intended to "promote acceptance, tolerance, and equality for the city's gay community." Just the opposite, however, was accomplished, as the event confirmed the worst fears of thousands of non-gay spectators, cementing in their minds a debauched and distorted image of gay life straight out of the most virulent right-wing hate literature.

Among the parade sights and sounds that did inestimable harm to the gay-rights cause: a group of obese women in leather biker outfits passing out clitoris-shaped lollipops to horrified onlookers; a man in military uniform leading a submissive masochist, clad in diapers and a baby bonnet, around on a dog leash; several Hispanic dancers in rainbow wigs and miniskirts performing "humping" motions on a mannequin dressed as the Pope; and a dozen gyrating drag queens in see-through dresses holding penis-shaped beer bottles that appeared to spurt ejaculation-like foam when shaken and poured onto passersby.

Timothy Orosco, 51, a local Walgreens manager whose store is on the parade route, changed his attitude toward gays as a result of the event.

"They kept chanting things like, 'We're here, we're queer, get used to it!' and 'Hey, hey, we're gay, we're not going to go away!'" Orosco said. "All I can say is, I was used to it, but now, although I'd never felt this way before, I wish they would go away."

Allison Weber, 43, an El Segundo marketing consultant, also had her perceptions and assumptions about gays challenged by the parade.

"My understanding was that gay people are just like everybody else–decent, hard-working people who care about their communities and have loving, committed relationships," Weber said. "But, after this terrifying spectacle, I don't want them teaching my kids or living in my neighborhood."

The parade's influence extended beyond L.A.'s borders, altering the attitudes of straight people across America. Footage of the event was featured on telecasts of The 700 Club as "proof of the sin-steeped world of homosexuality." A photo spread in Monday's USA Today chronicled many of the event's vulgar displays–understood by gays to be tongue-in-cheek "high camp"–which horrified previously tolerant people from coast to coast.

continued

by Anonymousreply 3507/01/2013

Dr. Henry Thorne, a New York University history professor who has written several books about the gay-rights movement, explained the misunderstanding.

"After centuries of oppression as an 'invisible' segment of society, gays, emboldened by the 1969 Stonewall uprising, took to the streets in the early '70s with an 'in-your-face' attitude. Confronting the worst prejudices of a world that didn't accept them, they fought back against these prejudices with exaggeration and parody, reclaiming their enemies' worst stereotypes about them and turning them into symbols of gay pride," Thorne said. "Thirty years later, gays have won far greater acceptance in the world at large, but they keep doing this stuff anyway."

"Mostly, I think, because it's really fun," Thorne added.

The Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, Thorne noted, is part of a decades-old gay-rights tradition. But, for mainstream heterosexuals unfamiliar with irony and the reclamation of stereotypes for the purpose of exploding them, the parade resembled an invasion of grotesque outer-space mutants, bent on the destruction of the human race.

"I have a cousin who's a gay, and he seemed like a decent enough guy to me," said Iowa City, IA, resident Russ Linder, in Los Angeles for a weekend sales seminar. "Now, thanks to this parade, I realize what a freak he's been all along. Gays are all sick, immoral perverts."

Parade organizers vowed to make changes in the wake of the negative reaction among heterosexuals.

"I knew it. I said we needed 100 dancers on the 'Show Us Your Ass' float, but everybody insisted that 50 would be enough," said Lady Labia, spokesperson for LAGALABATATA. "Next year, we're really going to give those breeders something to look at."

by Anonymousreply 106/30/2013

Love The Onion!

by Anonymousreply 206/30/2013

LAGALABATATA ....

The group name made me snicker. Wouldn't be shocked if it were real.

by Anonymousreply 306/30/2013

Honestly, though this is satire, it's true. It really IS an unnecessary spectacle showcasing the worst parts of gay "culture", such as it is.

Until Middle America stops equating "Gay" with "Men who want to be women and will fuck everyone with a penis", we're not getting anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 406/30/2013

Agree with R4.

by Anonymousreply 506/30/2013

Call it a fertility ritual and be done with it.

The Japanese (I believe) had (maybe still have) a ritual where some of the priests carried around a giant penis at planting time. It was a fertility ritual. Some of the things sprayed water on people (women who hoped to get knocked up that year).

I think some of the "gay culture" is purposely being over-the-top. Sort of satirizing themselves. Bad, good or indifferent.

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2013

R4 should have been included in the Onion satire. It's about as stereotypical reaction as you can get.

"They don't like us because we're bad drag queens!!!!!!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 706/30/2013

I didn't realize it was satire.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

It's satire and R4 and R5 dont realize they are homophobic- the very targets of the satire! Just what is wrong with men who get done up like women and laught like crazy when they are partying, oh and want to get fucked. Sounds fine to me, sounds gay- and that, last time I checked, was just fine.

I love men in drag- one of the funniest spectacle in the world of humor. Humorless hung up homophobes lose sleep over it.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

Well said R10

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

It's indeed humorous, but it is a very, very small segment of the gay population, and it does us no service as a whole to have our detractors laboring under the impression that gay = drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

said the frau

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

[quote] It's indeed humorous, but it is a very, very small segment of the gay population, and it does us no service as a whole to have our detractors laboring under the impression that gay = drag queen.

Homophobes will latch on to anything, so there's no point in giving a damn what they think. When gay people don't act like stereotypes they still claim there's an 'agenda' behind it. I've seen fundies link to After The Ball as if it's some kind of pamphlet that every queen reads in order to gain acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

R12/15 is the same cunt in the gay republicans thread accusing all gay men of being bug chasers. F&F the garbage.

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

Who cares about mainstream acceptance?

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

Are we so sure this is satire?

I have had my suspicions about The Onion's agenda for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 1907/01/2013

R4 - really "Until Middle America stops equating "Gay" with "Men who want to be women and will fuck everyone with a penis", we're not getting anywhere."?

While folks in California on the west coast were busy passing Prop 8 - in Iowa in middle America we were busy performing legal same-sex marriages.

by Anonymousreply 2007/01/2013

One thing doesn't exclude the other.

by Anonymousreply 2107/01/2013

We need hot boy parades. Screw this embarrassing stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2207/01/2013

Instead of getting enraged about the weirdness and debauchery, I just ignore it. It is not for me, so why would I even pay attention to it?

by Anonymousreply 2307/01/2013

I bet you're a closet case, R23

by Anonymousreply 2407/01/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2507/01/2013

R25 is a straight woman!

by Anonymousreply 2607/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 2707/01/2013

r24, no just a normal dude, like most bisexual and gay dudes.

by Anonymousreply 2807/01/2013

I marched in the first Pride Parade up Fifth Avenue in the early 70s. We just dressed in regular (hippie) clothes, but we had Rollerina leading the way!

by Anonymousreply 2907/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 3007/01/2013

R29 you are beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 3107/01/2013

The parades were an accurate reflectia of life on the Hershey Highway!

by Anonymousreply 3207/01/2013

Stinkfish hate normal-looking sisters because they have no power over them.

by Anonymousreply 3307/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 3407/01/2013

In a similar story, heterosexual have been participating in an annual event focused around prostitution, drug abuse and vulgar behavior.

Each year hundreds of thousands of heteros flood the city get drunk off their ass then participate in the annual even "show us your tit and here are your beads" know as Mardi Gras.

As a gay man I was shock and disgusted with how women were treated and objectified. Most of the women were prostituting themselves by showing their bare breasts to total strangers for the price of a cheap pearl necklace.

I thought to myself, are these the people who are supposed to raise our children? Are these the morals of heterosexuals? The debauchery is so ingrained into society they even changed the names of the streets after choice of drug abuse which is alcohol.

Partially naked men and women in costumes practically having sex in the streets, people throwing up left and right, and dozens of 911 calls to break up fights and violent behavior. Is this the side of heterosexuals they don't want you to see?

"I have a cousin who's a breeder, and he seemed like a decent enough guy to me, Now, thanks to this parade, I realize what a freak he's been all along. Breeders are all sick, immoral perverts."

by Anonymousreply 3507/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.