Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What happened to Julia Roberts?

She was all the rage a few years ago. Now, she's vanished completely? I guess that's life in Hollywood: here one second, gone the next. I didn't mind her. Actually I kind of liked her. She was very charismatic. Unlike Jennifer Lawrence. Let's hope the same fate will befall Jen.

by Anonymousreply 5307/02/2013

In some cases, stars choose to disappear, or rather become more selective.

by Anonymousreply 106/30/2013

She's grown moles on her face and now Hollywood doesn't want her.

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2013

I remember an interview in which she said that a lot of actresses react to stardom with an irrational fear of losing said stardom.

She likened her career (and fear of losing her career) to an old car. She said she was afraid to turn off the ignition in fear that the car would not start again. She felt compelled to keep working although she had achieved a high level of success in the industry.

I guess she finally said 'screw it' and pulled the key out of the ignition.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2013

She was all the rage 15 or 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 407/01/2013

It happened to Lady GaGa, too.

by Anonymousreply 507/01/2013

Everyone has talked about what a bitch she is in real life, but that should not have effected her career. What did, is choosing lousy roles /movies. I mean a rich matron, in "Charlie Wilson's War". Yawn. "Larry Crowne".The Queen, in "Mirror, Mirror". Meh. She needs a challenging role again. Meanwhile, Sandy Bullock has cleaned up ( including getting an Oscar), with all JR's rejects - from "Speed", to "While You Were Sleeping", "The Blind Side", and now "The Heat", which is guaranteed to be a huge summer hit. Either Julia, or her agent, or both, have failed miserably.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2013

Her limitations caught up with her.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2013

She's been put out to pasture.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

Women over 40 mostly fall off due to Hollywood sexism.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

That's interesting R3. It shows she has some insights and a vulnerability.

Things I never would have suspected of her before.

I did enjoy reading the play "August Osage County", if she turns out to be good in it -- I may have to move her out of the 'yuck' category.

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

She's starring with Meryl Streep in August: Osage County, one of two leads.

She's back...

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

R11 is right. With "Osage" she will be back - and then we can start complaining all over again on DL!!

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

After that Low Vera incident with Moder's then wife, she went from sort of loved/liked to really detested.

She has never recovered from it. People just think she's an entitled cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

[quote]What did, is choosing lousy roles /movies. I mean a rich matron, in "Charlie Wilson's War". Yawn.

That could have been great, but Julia Roberts wasn't actress enough to play the part. Joanne King-Herring-Davis is a right-wing nut with enough beauty and charm to convince powerful men to do things her way. Julia Roberts is one of the least seductive women I've ever seen on screen. She just wasn't up to what should have been a great role.

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

[quote]She needs a challenging role again.

No, she's not up to the challenge.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

Some people reach an age when fame and fortune take a backseat to raising a family.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

She's in H.B.O.'s big forthcoming movie; The Normal Heart, produced by Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

She is an entitled cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

People have started to notice the ugly and the crazy. Not to mention the lack of talent.

by Anonymousreply 1907/01/2013

Can't understand how she lasted as long as she did, coasting on the coattails of a few flicks, considering her very limited range, and a few abilities not shown on screen.

by Anonymousreply 2007/01/2013

R17 I don't think Barbra has nothing to do with the film.

by Anonymousreply 2107/01/2013

She began to get annoying with me when she started recycling her spontaneous (not) laugh.

by Anonymousreply 2207/01/2013

Sometimes people start seeing emperor's new clothes for what they are, i.e. not something worth caring about anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2307/01/2013

I like her.

by Anonymousreply 2407/01/2013

Jennifer Lawrence lacks charisma? She's one of the few young actresses who actually possesses it.

by Anonymousreply 2507/01/2013

What r16 said. And isn't she a homewrecker too? I would think she wants to avoid any questions about that.

by Anonymousreply 2607/01/2013

R26

Her whole thing about cutting back on work to raise a family was just BS she was telling everyone to make it look like not doing as many films was a choice. It wasn't.

She got old and no one was interested in her. She doesn't have the talent to do anything beyond Rom Coms and no one wants to see a Rom Com starring someone her age.

by Anonymousreply 2707/01/2013

[quote]And isn't she a homewrecker too?

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 2807/01/2013

R27, Hollywood should understand that age is not the #1 factor in casting rom-coms. Chemistry between the 2 leads, acting skill and comedic timing, and an appealing persona on the Red Carpet is far, far more important. That said, I think JR fails in all areas.

I could easily see a very popular rom-com with 2 older, divorced leads finding love again. It would have to be a well-written, funny story with very talented leads.

by Anonymousreply 2907/01/2013

R29

In theory, yes. However, more often than not, that doesn't translate into Box Office success.

And lets face it, Hollywood is a business and in it to make money.

None of this is to say I agree with it, but I can't fault them for only wanting to turn a buck.

by Anonymousreply 3007/01/2013

It's not like Julia needs the money. probably being more selective and choosing not to work as much.

by Anonymousreply 3107/01/2013

Age is no longer a huge factor at the box office.

Bullock/McCarthy: Let's see how that plays out, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 3207/01/2013

R32, You chose a very poor example, citing Bullock/McCarthy. They have some name recognition but neither one matches any of my criterion for casting actresses. I see it as Hollywood just "trying to make them happen."

It would at least help if either actress were also known for her charity projects.

by Anonymousreply 3307/01/2013

R21, Barbra has been associated with filming Normal Heart for 20 years. She's even had Larry Kramer staying at her house, working on the script.

by Anonymousreply 3407/01/2013

If you look at her career though, she did take time off at it's apex--Erin Brockovich is when she started to slow down. She used to have a Rom-Com out every summer in the late '90s/early '00s. I do think she slowed down by her own choosing, not because of lack of offers, because I'm sure at the time of Brockovitch she was offered everything. Even now she can still get pretty much have her choice of roles (think of the Bullock stuff she turned down and Osage County) so people who suggest that she's not getting parts doesn't match up with events.

by Anonymousreply 3507/01/2013

R32

Bullock filming that movie with McCarthy is way different than a RomCom, which was Julia's forte and pretty much the only thing she was "good in."

And R35

That's exactly what she wants you to believe. The scripts stopped coming in for her. I know this as a fact.

by Anonymousreply 3607/01/2013

I don't miss her hideous face, her mediocre acting or her foul personality at all.

by Anonymousreply 3707/01/2013

[36] Unless you are her agent, how do you know this for a fact? If she turned down "The Blindside," and "The Proposal," and got "Osage County" it doesn't seem like the scripts stopped coming in.

I really don't have a horse in this race (pun completely intended) so I don't really care, but there's nothing in the evidence that proves that "the scripts stopped coming in" since they are...well...still coming in. She might not have made the best choices, but she still seems to be getting offered great roles, if Bullock's two biggest hits of the past decade were offered to her first.

by Anonymousreply 3807/01/2013

With the movies inthe can, she's certainly not over.

As for her career, that AFI Tribute to her a few years ago was fun when they went to the clips of her films. Her limitations were underlined and highlighted. It was a scream watching her look uncomfortable as the camera cut to her, punctuated by tepid applause.

by Anonymousreply 3907/01/2013

R34 I know, but not any longer. Barbra has nothing to do with the movie.

by Anonymousreply 4007/01/2013

R38

No, you don't have to be her Agent to know this. You can be anyone working in her camp or anyone who works in production, primarily casting, to know who's being sent what.

If you want to believe that Julia's mostly non-existent career from 2005 to 2010 was self-imposed, then you're welcome to it.

I know that wasn't the case.

by Anonymousreply 4307/01/2013

The only reason Julia turned down the Proposal is because she wanted more money. She thought she was still a big box office draw. Even the Studio knew she wasn't worth the money and didn't give it to her.

by Anonymousreply 4407/01/2013

I simply refuse to see a Julia Roberts movie.

Same thing goes with Sean Penn.

by Anonymousreply 4507/01/2013

R33 and R36, I was referring to box office success for actresses of a certain age, not the RomCom genre, though R33, both actresses match all of your criteria. Yes, even chemistry.

R36, RE: Bullock/McCarthy film - I was under the impression the McCarthy character was originally written as a male. Doesn't really mean anything but it may be interesting to watch the dynamic of these two characters (and the chemistry between the two actresses) play out on screen. The original script may have been written as a RomCom. Would Sandra still have been cast opposite a male actor in a romcom at her age? No idea.

And why is everybody so shocked by Julia Roberts lack of range? Stars play similar characters/genres throughout their career. Actors have more range and ability but Stars have charisma and bring in the box office - just ask Robert Redford.

Also, R33, what do you mean by "known by her charity projects" ???

by Anonymousreply 4607/01/2013

R46

My argument is basically that you can see Actresses of a certain age getting cast, like Sandra Bullock, in films like that because that's what she can do and what people like seeing her do.

Julia isn't being considered for projects like that because people identify her as a Rom Com star, at least when it comes to Box Office success.

Sure, she's done other stuff, but no one thinks she's particularly good at it and the Box Office isn't great when she does.

by Anonymousreply 4707/01/2013

That's a catch-22 R41. Hollywood studio chiefs assume they're not, so they're not cast as leads in the big budget movies.

So the previous poster that said women over 40 have a hard time (actually everyone except white dudes)IS true.

by Anonymousreply 4807/01/2013

She was the first of the fish-lipped female stars. I think that is what catapulted her career and kept her on top. Those puffed up blowjob lips.

by Anonymousreply 4907/01/2013

R47, R46 here. I understand what you mean. I guess you're saying SB is more versatile than JR.

Though I do recall she had some success in dramatic roles. i.e. The Pelican Brief, Flatliners and Sleeping with the Enemy and lets not forget Erin Brockovich.

by Anonymousreply 5007/01/2013

I guess she is a movie star more than a good actress- always has been lost on me.

by Anonymousreply 5107/01/2013

Sandra Bullock is older than Julia and still is a big name. Jodie Foster is still relevant. A number of 40 and 50 something women have kept up a presence in cable TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 5207/01/2013

r41 BS. Older women don't sell because Hollywood doesn't even bother to promote them. And when they do they under-fund the movies. The same thing is done to other groups Hollywood deems "un-sellable" or "non-universal." It is all a self serving and circular logic.

by Anonymousreply 5307/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.