Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think the Hunger Games was plagiarized?

Do you think the Hunger Games was plagiarized? I mean there are so many similarities between it and Battale Royale that I think the author should be sued.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

This thread is making me hungry.

by Anonymousreply 106/30/2013

I've been reading/skimming it - truly one of the worst pieces of writing I've ever come across. I think the plagiarism accusations are important because the plot is the ONLY thing that makes the book in any way acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 206/30/2013

See the movie. It's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 306/30/2013

The writing isn't bad at all. She's not Stephenie Meyer.

by Anonymousreply 406/30/2013

The similarities to early episodes of the anime version of Naruto Uzumaki are interesting. Still, I'd rather read/watch The Hunger Games than Naruto any day.

by Anonymousreply 506/30/2013

If so, then "Battle Royale" was plagiarized from "Lord of the Flies."

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2013

R4, that's like saying a chef is good because he doesn't burn the SPAM before serving it to you.

by Anonymousreply 806/30/2013

For YA it isn't that bad. Not great, not bad. But if I was the writer of Battle Royale, I'd sue. It's essentially the exact same thing, with a reconfigured setting.

by Anonymousreply 906/30/2013

No, R6. Just, no.

by Anonymousreply 1006/30/2013

i think there's a quote that says something about how artists steal.

i think plagiarism would need to be more obvious and closer than Hunger Games is. it differs in too many other ways.

by Anonymousreply 1106/30/2013

R11, I would normally agree. But the premise of Battle Royale isn't a universal theme type story like unrequited love or revenge against a father or something like that. Different variations on the same thing is common in literature of all levels. But this isn't that sort of case.

The plot of one is:

Teenagers are forced to fight to death after being being unwittingly captured and placed in a remote area with no way out other than being the last one standing. All the world watches.

And the other:

Teenagers are forced to fight to death after being forced to do so based on the district where the live and then are placed in a remote area with no way out other than being the last one standing. All the world watches.

Those would be the loglines for both stories. They are essentially the same.

by Anonymousreply 1206/30/2013

I was a fan of Battle Royale. The plot was lacking, but the interactions between the kids were sometimes good. Hunger Games is a better movie as far as character development and having a more meaningful message. I can't bring myself to read either book since all that blood is meant to be viewed on a screen.

by Anonymousreply 1306/30/2013

Battle Royale isn't a new concept, though. It's just a ripoff of The Lottery.

by Anonymousreply 1407/01/2013

Yeah, neither story is an original concept. This idea has been around forever. The difference is the execution. Hunger Games focuses on one contestant while Battle Royale is the group as a whole. There's no case for plagiarism.

Not only that, but we've had this thread before.

by Anonymousreply 1507/01/2013

There's also The Long Walk to throw in there if we're going to discuss plagiarism. It predates Battle Royale.

by Anonymousreply 1607/01/2013

It's a total rip off of the "The Long Walk" by Richard Bachman (aka STEPHEN KING!!!!!)

Im surprised this wasn't headline news!

by Anonymousreply 1707/01/2013

"Theme" is one thing, nearly identical plots are another.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!