Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Texas DataLoungers. Why?

I'm one of them. I moved to Texas (Austin) because the economy is better than my home state of SC.

I regret it because the traffic in Austin is bad, real estate and property taxes are high, the heat is unbearable, and I miss my true Southern friends, even the lunatics.

Would I be better off in Houston or Dallas?

by Anonymousreply 6412/20/2013

Cuz Shiner Bock is Good!

by Anonymousreply 106/30/2013

I've lived in Dallas and Houston, I prefer the weather in Dallas the dry heat over the sweat bath in Houston, although it's great for the sinuses. Dallas is a LOT less junky than Houston, it really is a swamp pithole.

Dallas: cleaner, better weather more things to do , the drive over lake texoma is beautiful .

by Anonymousreply 306/30/2013

Oh but the people in Dallas are snobby depending on where you go. It's still better than Houston though.

by Anonymousreply 406/30/2013

The chemical smog in Houston is atrocious. You will live on Visine there. Believe me, it is cancer alley from there to Beaumont and the gay life is absurdly comical.

by Anonymousreply 506/30/2013

I adore Houston. Then again, I'm a native of the city - well, about as much as I'm a native of any city. I've lived all over the globe, but Houston is the place I love to call home.

Why do I love Houston? I enjoy the multiculturalism, the friendly people, the fine arts community, and the unique and massive restaurant scene. If any of those things matter to you, you might like it here.

The traffic is bad, but it's actually worse in Austin. I must confess, though, that Austinite men are way hotter than Houstonian men.

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2013

It's hard to make friends in the Metroplex (Dallas / Fort Worth), but fairly easy to do so in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 706/30/2013

Houston, any day of the week.

Dallas sucks hard, and not in the good way.

by Anonymousreply 806/30/2013

Austin is most peoples favorite city in Texas. Traffic will be worse in Houston and the weather will be worse. Both cities arre better than Dallas which I agree with R8 absolutely sucks.

by Anonymousreply 906/30/2013

Texas will be a blue state in 6 years.

by Anonymousreply 1006/30/2013

I've always found Austin traffic way more harrowing than that of Houston. Your mileage may vary, though... Literally.

And yes, Texas will be blue before long. Nice, right?

by Anonymousreply 1106/30/2013

Austin used to be a great city... until everybody fucking moved here. Yeesh.

I loved living here ten years ago (and even more so 15 years ago when I first moved here). Now? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 1206/30/2013

Dallas actually has a very interesting arts and theatre scene, but it doesn't really get any support from the city. The conservative money that controls the city would rather spend the money on buildings with famous architects to show off and then import all the art from elsewhere. The PTB in the city are trying to nurture the arts scene, which has potential, but they don't understand that that sort of thing is built from the ground up and not from the top down.

But Dallas has some interesting areas, as long as you don't go North. North is suburb central in the worst way (Richardson is okay). But east and south Dallas have lots going for them. Some really amazing neighborhoods and interesting people.

But the gay 'scene' is kind of a joke, and oil money controls the city. Look closer, though, and there is lots there.

by Anonymousreply 1306/30/2013

Between those two choices you'd be better off dead.

by Anonymousreply 1406/30/2013

Do they not teach people like R14 comma use anymore?

by Anonymousreply 1506/30/2013

Do they not teach people like [R6] comma abuse anymore?

by Anonymousreply 1606/30/2013

The big question is why Texas at all? The legislature and the governor are jokes and the climate sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1706/30/2013

That was the dumbest response I've ever read on the DL, R16. Ask one of your wittier dealers to help you in the future.

by Anonymousreply 1806/30/2013

R17, because there are jobs here.

It can be tough to handle the climate here in Houston, and the million indigent people and great swaths of slumlike neighborhoods on the havenot sides of town are depressing. But there is a much higher concentration of educated and creative people from all over the world than Dallas. That's tips the scale in Houston's favor for me.

by Anonymousreply 1906/30/2013

R17, Houston's massive restaurant scene is reason enough to live here.

by Anonymousreply 2006/30/2013

R21, now post a photo of yourself, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2206/30/2013

I like Dallas. You just have to learn to laugh at being sneered at by a lot of salesbottoms who drive leased Mercedes and think that they are high society

by Anonymousreply 2306/30/2013

If you're trying to turn the Lone Star State blue, OP, it's understandable; otherwise, there's nothing appealing for a LGBT with choosing to live in the south.

by Anonymousreply 2406/30/2013

Houston is far more gay friendly and has a much larger gay scene. People are more tolerant too great people. It is all air conditioned,- so the weather is manageable if you do what locals do avoid going out in the midday heat in the summer.

Dallas is arrogant, homophobic, and has a lot more narrow minded bigots in it.

by Anonymousreply 2506/30/2013

That's not true R25. Just the reverse. Dallas is less homophobic. Houston is run by oil whackjobs and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 2606/30/2013

R21, did the guy you hooked up with (and whose photo you posted here) somehow piss you off?

by Anonymousreply 2706/30/2013

R26, you seem confused.

by Anonymousreply 2806/30/2013

R26 has it utterly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2906/30/2013

My sister lives in Ausin, been there many times. I would not want to do with the traffic daily . Plenty of things happening in Austin. It's hot everywhere.

Houston is a swamp, hat the place, hot, humid, clogged streets.

I lived in Dallas for many years. It has also been many years. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. When I lived there the gay community was under constant siege by the pigs. Drive by a place where gay people meet or hang out twice and you are subjected to a safety check on your car. It discourages activity they say. Not something they do where straight people meet up.

by Anonymousreply 3006/30/2013

Texas is, in two words, a shit hole. All of it, and nearly everyone in it as well.

by Anonymousreply 3106/30/2013

I will also chime in to say that R26 is definitely wrong and makes me wonder how well he really knows Texas.

The city limits of Houston and especially within and around the 610 loop is a much more progressive and gay friendly culture than Dallas. That is inarguable, Houston does have a lesbian mayor you know.

Dallas's culture is a whole nother beast. Not saying there isn't a gay scene. But it is not a scene I want to be a part of. The guy who made the quip about a culture where everybody is trying to lease mercedes gets it.

by Anonymousreply 3206/30/2013

Obama carried Dallas county by a far wider margin than in Harris county

by Anonymousreply 3306/30/2013

It's not like Harris County is vast and sprawling and twice the land size of Dallas county to make that a misleading comparison.

Not saying Dallas is rural missisippi or anything, but anyone who has spent a good amount of time around Houston's culture and Dallas's culture I think would agree there is a difference and Houston has a more open and progressive culture. Though obviously Austin has them both beat by far.

by Anonymousreply 3406/30/2013

Actually, the guy @ r21 might be worth moving.

by Anonymousreply 3506/30/2013

Obama BARELY carried Harris County, so to claim that Houston is far more progressive based merely on its unwieldy size is rather silly. I'm not claiming that Dallas is the next SF, but to say that it is regressive and conservative is no longer true. The suburbs around Dallas, however, are about as conservative as they come.

by Anonymousreply 3606/30/2013

Girls, girls, don't worry... Whatever our differences, we can all agree that New York City is an irrelevant piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 3707/01/2013

Houston is a horrendous shithole. Why the fuck would anyone in their right mind want to live in a place where you have to go from one air conditioned place to another because it is unbearable to be outdoors?

by Anonymousreply 3807/02/2013

Both Dallas and Houston have many black and Hispanic people who don't vote, so you can't entirely judge them on totals from the last presidential election. There's tons of Latinos who live in both places who aren't citizens, so they can't vote. When you evaluate both places you'd best understand that they are heavily Hispanic.

by Anonymousreply 3912/16/2013

If it is the Old South you miss, I would recommend Tyler or Texarkana

by Anonymousreply 4012/16/2013

I moved to Dallas six years ago from Portland and am currently in DC for a 1 year project. Kept my house in Dallas and can not wait to go back. Will I retire there? NO but for all other reasons I like it...especially the cost of living and the fact I can have a house with a pool inside the 635 loop for the price of a coastal apartment. When I am back laying in my pool all you haters can wave when you are flying over. And when the haters post it would be nice to hear what mecca you are living in.

by Anonymousreply 4112/16/2013

I thought the Metroplex suffers from horrible ice and flash floods?

by Anonymousreply 4212/16/2013

If you're good looking, go to Dallas; uglies go to Houston.

by Anonymousreply 4312/16/2013

[quote]If you're good looking, go to Dallas; uglies go to Houston.

Heh, and exactly this childish vapid attitude is why Dallas sucks. Certain people love Dallas, but more sophisticated people do not like the people who do.

by Anonymousreply 4412/16/2013

I've heard bad things about Houston.

by Anonymousreply 4512/16/2013

Houston is awesome. Lots of gorgeous guys and big Texas dicks. Great beer, great food, grat live music scene, and lots of gyms where the hot studs hang out. I have lived here for most of my 48 years and it's a great city for a bi/gay man. It's a great place if you're White, Black or Hispanic (as long as you're documented).

The drawbacks - the humidity and all of the undocumented Mexicans panhandling on the streets. Rock on!

by Anonymousreply 4612/16/2013

Houston is WAY too black ever since Katrina hit. They all came here. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 4712/16/2013

A lot of gays are moving to Laredo. It's the new Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 4812/16/2013

Move to Galveston and rot away.

by Anonymousreply 4912/16/2013

I realize this is an old thread someone bumped, but I have to question whether the OP is a troll if only due to his complaint about Austin weather. I could understand it from someone who moved there from, say, San Francisco, but South Carolina? It's nearly as big a swamp as Houston!

I may be the only person on DL who's lived in all three cities being discussed (Austin, Houston, Dallas), so allow me to discredit some of the bullshit being propagated about each. There is no "chemical smog" in Houston; that shit dissipated years ago, much like the smog in L.A. Houston and Dallas are equally pretentious in their own ways, and both are surrounded on two sides by wealthy, ultra-red suburbs (even while the urban cores of both cities are quite pleasant and surprisingly liberal). Traffic sucks in all three cities, and right now Dallas and Austin are worse than usual because of ongoing expansions on two major freeways (635 in Dallas, MoPac in Austin). Houston and Dallas both have surprisingly good arts scenes.

Housing prices in any of the three cities will seem cheap to anyone used to West or East Coast prices, but they're rising rapidly, particularly in Austin, and property taxes are insane (and will remain that way) because that's the price we have to pay to avoid a state income tax. I don't know the last time R30 was in Dallas, but I have *never* heard of police hassling gays in *any* of the three cities, though there was an incident last year in Fort Worth. Gays are abundant in all three cities, particularly in the neighborhoods near downtown. Montrose in Houston is one of the oldest "gayborhoods" in the country, and back in the '80s was fully 20% gay, but these days it's been gentrified and settled by breeders like most other gay American neighborhoods.

I don't see much point in arguing about the weather in each place: all three are horrifically hot and humid in the summer, with Houston being slightly more humid and Dallas being the hottest, but real Texans just stay indoors most of the time between May and October. Winters are noticeably different, however; Dallas is prone to awful snow and ice storms in particular, like the one last week that practically shut down the country's ATC system with delays through DFW. Houston compensates for its lack of freezing weather with lovely hurricanes every three or four years, though it's been about 12 years since the last direct hit with Allison (which left one of the main freeways under 20 feet of water - Houston is about as flat as New Orleans). Austin doesn't get hurricanes or ice (very often), but it's still stuck in a years-long drought that's left its area lakes practically shriveled down to nothing.

All three cities are remarkably segregated, with some neighborhoods in Houston and Dallas in particular being literally 100% black and/or Hispanic. I have no idea who's under the delusion that Hispanics are panhandling; almost without exception, panhandlers are white in Austin and black in Houston, and routinely found at high-traffic intersections near freeways. Finally: yes, Texas will likely go blue by 2020 or so, but unfortunately the GOP has managed to gerrymander the state to such an extent that both the state legislature and U.S. House reps from Texas will remain Republican for many years to come. (Statewide elections are another story, and at this point I wouldn't even count on Ted Cruz being reelected in 2018. Last year he won a fairly weak 56% of the vote against an incredibly weak Democrat contender.)

by Anonymousreply 5112/17/2013

The Chamber of Commerce you ain't R51

by Anonymousreply 5212/18/2013

That's what my sister says, R47. And she's black. A self hating black. There's alot of resentment towards the Katrina "refugees" here in Houston. As if Houston was this great mecca before they arrived.

OTOH Houston is pretty ghetto though lol.

by Anonymousreply 5412/18/2013

r41, why did you leave Portland?

by Anonymousreply 5512/18/2013

Portland was Ok but got tired of the dreary days. Dallas was growing more and still is more than most other areas of the country so the opportunities were greater. I found the northwest unfriendly especially to the Californians relocating there as well as any other non-locals. In Dallas we welcome the California people and money especially the ones who buy real estate saying Wow this is really cheap and in a couple of years the locals buy it back at a fraction due to long distance mismanagement or lack of knowledge of the local market in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 5612/19/2013

What's El Paso like? Corpus Christi? Brownsville?

by Anonymousreply 5712/19/2013

Like it or not, Kirker.

I love my city. It is too hot, but then so is LA and Miami; NYC and Chicago are too cold.

Go ahead and try to live in a part of Houston that costs the same and has better traffic with as many things to do close by (assuming you aren't one of those loosebians who live in Wimberly)? Dallas? Okay, let us know.

If you don't like Austin, why don't you just get the hell outta here? I hear there are some really great places in Pittsburgh right now.

by Anonymousreply 5812/19/2013

[quote]Texas is, in two words, a shit hole. All of it, and nearly everyone in it as well.

This is the only post here that speaks the truth.

by Anonymousreply 5912/20/2013

R59 Where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 6012/20/2013

"(Statewide elections are another story, and at this point I wouldn't even count on Ted Cruz being reelected in 2018. Last year he won a fairly weak 56% of the vote against an incredibly weak Democrat contender.)"

..and it looks like the Democrats haven't again bothered to field a candidate to oppose John Cornyn who's up for re-election next year. Now the teabagger Steve Stockman (a notorious whack job who makes Cruz look almost sane) is opposing Cornyn and could well win the primary and then the election with no opposition from the Democrats. This is crazy.

I've been working for Battleground Texas and they seem to be doing a good job for Wendy Davis and Leticia van de Putte who could well - if voter turnout is high enough - get Gov. and Lt. Gov but it's true with gerrymandered districts and a weak Democratic Party, Texas looks depressingly red for the next few years. My one hope is if Leticia (who is Hispanic - van de Putte's her married name) can get out the Hispanic vote for both her and Wendy. The Castro brothers are throwing all their support behind the two, maybe they'll make the difference.

by Anonymousreply 6112/20/2013

Texas has the lowest voter turn out of any state in the union. Black and Hispanic voters turn out in an anemic rate;

In 2002, when the Democrats ran the "dream ticket" that was brown/black/white, the Republicans won by 18 points.

Ann Richards was elected governor of Texas by getting 61 percent of the women's vote. One of the reasons -- and there were several -- that George W. Bush defeated her was that he ran as a pro-choice Republican. Only when the state GOP took a very sharp right turn did Bush adopt a 'pro-life" position.

by Anonymousreply 6212/20/2013

Either that or Texas is lying on the census and is overrepresented in Congress!

by Anonymousreply 6312/20/2013

Because of all the 6'2"+ men with massive cocks and the abundance of tops.

by Anonymousreply 6412/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!