Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Human Lab Rats

I'm thinking of participating in a Phase I clinical trial. This is where you volunteer to be locked up in a clinic for 2 weeks while the drug company gives you an experimental drug. You sit around all day and read and watch movies. They take your blood a few times every day and, of course, you can get sick from the medication. After it's all over they mail you a check for about $3,000.

Has anyone done this before here on DL? I live in Austin and I hope to meet some college cuties.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013

Your body, your health, is worth far more than $3000. Don't do it. You have no idea the long term effects the drugs might have on you.

by Anonymousreply 106/30/2013

I have $5.35 in my checking account and that's it. They serve you 3 meals a day -plus a snack!

by Anonymousreply 206/30/2013

"You sit around all day and read and watch movies. They take your blood a few times every day and, of course, you can get sick from the medication.."

They fail to mention that the blood will be collected from your eyes. While the trial medication sedates you, the films will be non-stop demonstrations on the art of cunnilingus.

by Anonymousreply 306/30/2013

Did one about fivd years ago right after I graduated college and dead broke. I'm pretty sure they were testing some kind of heavy dutu anti anxiety medication so i sleept a lot. Not a bad experience overall, but I was pretty lucky, I could have been something that fucked me up long term. It does happen.

Have you already signed up for the testing? Or are you just in the 'thinking it over' stage? if I were you I would sign up for it right away, you can back out any time during the pre-test screening or physical, there are a lot of people that will jump at the chance for an extra $3000.

by Anonymousreply 406/30/2013

OP, I've only done the outpatient trials. Still received the very best medical care. Thousands of dollars worth of valuable tests to see if you even qualify; most don't.

OP, If you're in excellent health, and normally resistant to minor ailments, I'd take the risk. Find out in advance the potential side effects of the drug they're testing. Sometimes they insist subjects stay "under their nose," because too many lie about drug and alcohol use, which changes the test results. That doesn't mean the drug will cause more than an upset stomach.

Just remember, if something went wrong, you'd be set for life due to the lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 506/30/2013

No, I haven't signed up.

If I'm in excellent health and taking no meds or drugs and if I have a good BMI, why would I flunk the screening physical?

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2013

R6, Most applicants, even those in very good health, flunk the screening physical. Extremely minor points will eliminate you. Still it's a fab way to get thousands of dollars worth of very high quality testing.

by Anonymousreply 706/30/2013

Hey OP. I’ve never done one of those studies, but I have the perspective from the other end. I am a coordinator for clinical trials so I set them up and get people like you enrolled and try my best to take care of the ‘volunteers’ while they are part of the project.

Sounds like you already know a fair deal about them. The fact that you know that it’s a Phase 1 study that you’d be looking at tells me that. You’d be what we call a ‘healthy normal,’ - someone that doesn’t have a condition for which test drug is intended to treat, or any health issues at all.

I guess the actual time you spend in the facility and how nice it is depends on the place you go. Some are set up almost like hospital rooms, others are more like a college dormitory with bunk beds in the rooms and common areas for people to play games and watch movies and stuff.

You’ll only be able to eat the food they supply (so if you are a picky eater, it might not be the thing for you), and only at the regular meal times.

As for your idea of meeting some hot college dudes, it’s definitely possible. I’ve known many people to maintain friendships that start while they are in with us. We have people that come back and do studies again which is how I get to know their personal lives a little bit. For the most part the people that make it on study are friendly/social types – not always, but mostly.

Keep in mind that one of the things you have to agree to as part of being on an experiment medication is to abstain from sex during the course of the study and for a defined ‘washout’ period after. Washout is usually 30 days from the last time you take the medication, but that changes per protocol. But gays kind of luck out with that because it’s specific to sex that can produce a baby. Often for Phase 1 studies the affect on a fetus hasn’t been determined to any degree, so we make both the male and female participants commit to not having sex while even a trace of the medication could still be in their body.

(more to follow)

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2013

R4 is right. If you are interested in a study that you’ve read about, call to get through the pre-screening right away.

Pre-screening is just questions on the phone (mostly about your healthy history, but there could be particular things that they are looking for, depending on the project, and they’ll get that info out of you too) and going through it doesn’t commit you to anything.

If you make it through that, they’ll schedule you to come in for the actual screening process. That’s where we go over all the details of the project with you including what the possible/known side effects are and what the drug is intended for and all of that.

They’ll take a detailed medical history from you then as well as stuff like weighing you and taking your blood pressure, maybe an ECG, and whatever specifics the study calls for. Most of the time you’ll give a blood sample that day of screening which is used to check lots of stuff like red & white blood cell counts, liver enzyme levels, and cholesterol. The blood might be used for a drug screening, but it’s more likely you’ll give a urine sample for that.

After you are done with that, it’s a waiting game for you. It takes at least a day before the blood analysis is available and then it might be a few days before you hear back on whether you’ve been selected for the study or not…and they’ll tell you why not.

But back to the point from r4, there are lots of people that watch for those studies to become available – especially in Austin and other college towns where students do the studies when they can. They all know to respond early because the slots fill up.

And one more thing about committing yourself. Actually at no point in the process are you ever committed to anything, even when you sign all of the paperwork, even when you check in for the study, even when you are part way through the study. You always maintain free will and can change your mind. It sucks for us when that happens, but that’s just the way it is. Even if you start the study, you can decide to stop and walk out the door. It’s very complicated then…for us…and you’d only get partial payment based on how much of the study you actually completed, but you can do it. So for anyone that has qualms about the process and thinks they might not be able to stick it out, I discourage them from even thinking about it in the first place.

I can go on, but I’ll stop there. If you have any specific questions though, I’ll check back here and answer them if I can.

by Anonymousreply 907/01/2013

Fascinating thread!

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2013

Pharma shill thread. F&F for all responses so far except my own.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2013

OP [and anyone else considering being a lab rat], make sure you tell them you have zero allergies, no prior or current health conditions, and are not on any medication.

The smallest things can get you kicked off a study, and you don't want to lose out on free money for being too truthful!

I've never tested actual medication, but I've done dozens of studies involving my skin: sunscreen, soaps, moisturizers, and even "patch tests" where all kinds of items are placed under a square of gauze and stuck to your skin for X amount of hours.

My last patch test had 17 items, including two small pieces of leather, a bit of "fabric" from a dental hygienist's safety mask, various dollops of soap/lotion/moisturizer, and even a few drops of nail polish remover [that last item sucked ass, EVERYONE got a painful rash from it, as expected].

The only unpleasant side effects I've experienced have been some 1st and 2nd degree sunburns from "sunscreen" that didn't freaking work, and one patch study used a different tape on the gauze pads and when it was removed, it ripped off several layers of my skin, leaving my skin oozing blood for a good hour or two.

Oh, I forgot, I also once tested pomegranate [sp?] juice: I had to drink a 350-mL bottle of it once a day for two weeks. It was yummy! [And I'm pretty sure it was for the Pom-wonderful brand of juice, which came on the market shortly after.] I didn't report any side-effects from the juice, because at the time, I didn't know pomegranate juice can affect a woman's menstrual cycle, who'da thunk!

As long as the stuff you're taking is safe, OP, I say go for it. Afaik, there are laws in place that should protect your health while on a study [especially since you're not trying to get treatment for an existing condition].

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2013

Thanks R12. Interesting post.

by Anonymousreply 1307/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!