Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Grease 2- what were they thinking??

Why were relative unknowns cast to be the leads? Why was 30-something Lorna Luft cast as a teenager? Why was Michelle Pfeiffer's hair and makeup contemporary and not period authentic? Why such shitty music?

Someone signed off on all this shit and I don't think Allan Carr can be solely responsible for everything. I was only 12 when it came out but I read the newspaper and watched TV and can't even remember any advertising for this movie, I guess it didn't play in every market .

by Anonymousreply 10610/08/2014

I don't know OP, but I was severely disappointed by that movie . Not even maxwell caulfield could mitigate that mess .

by Anonymousreply 106/30/2013

The film however has almost as many fans as the original. I'll never understand why. A lot of young directors always name it as one of their all-time favorite films. They still play that stupid "Cool Rider" song. It really helped Michelle Pfeiffer's career oddly enough. She said that she lived on Coca-Cola, cigarettes, and a bagel every so often at the time.

by Anonymousreply 206/30/2013

There were trailers and TV ads at the time because I drove my parents nuts every time one played insisting we go. It played at our local theater that summer and they dropped me and my sister off to see it. We didn't like it and recognized how awful it was even as kids.

Read the imdb trivia page for some insight into why the film is a mess. Casting-wise, they apparently didn't care about the actors real ages (much like the original.) Cher was offered the Lorna Luft role! Pfeiffer's role was apparently offered to actual singers like Pat Benatar, Debbie Harry and Kim Carnes. It doesn't say why they ended up with Pfeiffer, but I'll assume it was because she was cheaper.

By 1982 I don't think anyone cared so much about being period authentic. Look at TV's "Happy Days" and "Laverne & Shirley" from that era - they were still ostensibly set in the past but the hair and fashion was all out of place. It looks like they were trying to go with *some* kind of style for Pfeiffer, but her hair doesn't even match within scenes sometimes. Sometimes it's curled and styled with maybe a partial wig piece on top, other times is just straight and flat with that dried out, 80s bleached-blonde look.

by Anonymousreply 306/30/2013

If not for the hotness trio of Maxwell Caulfield, Adrian Zmed and Christopher McDonald (and that track scene where that extra's nuts pop out of his shorts), this would be unwatchable. Oh, and "Cool Rider" is NO "Grease is the Word".

by Anonymousreply 406/30/2013

[quote] It doesn't say why they ended up with Pfeiffer, but I'll assume it was because she was cheaper.

She explained in on "Inside The Actor's Studio". It's on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 506/30/2013

It's a mess, but I loved Carr's over the top messes. They were accidentally good like Ed Wood movies. And let's give Carr credit for discovering Caulfield. I'm sure he had earlier roles***, but Grease 2 was his breakout. And I do remember going to see it just for him. I was only 14 and had just become aware of being gay. So Carr knew how to get people into the theater just for the star's looks.

***so spare me the lecture about how Carr didn't literally discover him. Also, I realize Caulfield fizzled out fast and never really made it big, so it wasn't much of a discovery anyway. Just at the time, he was hot, and Carr knew it.

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2013

Michelle Pfeiffer and Maxwell Caulfield did not get along during filming. A few years after the film was released, Maxwell said in an interview that he and Michelle "got along infamously". Michelle stated in an interview that Maxwell was "self-adoring".

Deborah Harry was initially asked to play Stephanie Zinone. She declined, saying she was too old to be playing a high school student.

by Anonymousreply 706/30/2013

Allan wasn't speaking to Olivia during this time because she turned down the Valerie Perrine part in Can't Stop the Music to do Xanadu. Carr felt that she owed it to him because he gave her the Sandy role. Her future hubby has a small part in the film, however, but Carr would never turn down a cute boy. I'm assuming Travolta thought it was senseless to just have him cameo and not Olivia too.

So we got a Didi Conn cameo instead. Which was fine at the time, because she already snagged a gig on the hit show Benson.

The film isn't very good. Michelle was greatly embarrassed by it for a number of years and refused to talk about it in interviews. She eventually came around to embrace it (somewhat).

Carr lusted over Caufield, and I think might have even made a pass at him.

by Anonymousreply 906/30/2013

R6 did you read his biography? It's a blast.

by Anonymousreply 1006/30/2013

I've never seen "Grease 2" but there were a hell of a lot of movies that came out at that time that you look at now and wonder, "What were they thinking?" Well, they weren't, they were all on coke.

by Anonymousreply 1106/30/2013

Exactly r11. Looking at the movies from that era, you can see how cocaine influenced so many choices back then.

by Anonymousreply 1206/30/2013

Any opportunity to see the luminous Lorna Luft on the silver screen is always cause for celebration.

by Anonymousreply 1306/30/2013

I kinda love some of the songs, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1406/30/2013

I was going to say what R11 did. This movie was all about cocaine. I didn't get that as a kid but seeing it as an adult that was my first thought from that horrific opening number.

by Anonymousreply 1506/30/2013

[quote]Any opportunity to see the luminous Lorna Luft on the silver screen is always cause for celebration.

Typed Lorna while sitting in her breakfast nook.

by Anonymousreply 1706/30/2013

For those of us of certain age who had HBO or The Movie Channel in the summer of 1983, this movie means a lot to us.

by Anonymousreply 1806/30/2013

I like campy crap, but the one time I tried to watch it, I had to shut it off. It was beyond awful!

This coming from someone who has seen "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" numerous times!

by Anonymousreply 1906/30/2013

R10: Who's bio are you referring to? Maxfield's or Allen's.

If either of them have one, i didn't find it Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 2107/06/2013

It's called Party Animals, R21. I've attached the link to the Amazon page.

by Anonymousreply 2207/06/2013

Fuck you all! I love Grease 2. Lorna Luft is in it so it's an instant gay classic.

"What's the new look Sharon?" "Jackie Kennedy. It only landed her a president." "Yeah? Well the movie magazines say that JFK secretly prefers the Marilyn Monroe look!"

by Anonymousreply 2307/06/2013

I love it because it is so horrible.

by Anonymousreply 2407/06/2013

People who slate this movie have just never watched it. The script is actually fabulous, genuinely dorky, absurdly funny and potent. Here's one of my favorite scenes between Pfeiffer and Maxwell - in the diner. There's so much in this scene about the nature of duality, coming out of the closet about who you are and the deception of teenage idealism. In a way, it alludes to Pfeiffer's most iconic role (Catwoman) A gorgeous, romantic and very witty scene:

"You know, I don't usually do this bad in English. It's just, I've got other stuff on my mind these days."

"Can I help?"

"No, it's not school. Let's get this stuff over with."

"All right. Where do you want to start?"

"It's this guy!"

"What guy?"

"Oh, forget it."

"I'm trying. You're not making it easy."

"OK - I had this idea of Mr Right, which was a stupid idea, right?"

"Then, out of nowhere he shows up, like some dream or something!"

"Oh, right."

"And the weird thing is that I've seen him twice now and both times, he's wearing these goggles. I don't even know who he is!

"Mr Right?"

"Isn't that kind of weird? Not WEIRD weird but, like, EXCITING weird?"

"So, what's the problem?"

"Well, the problem is that maybe he's just not everything I imagined. What if, underneath those goggles, he's just some ordinary guy?"

"What if he is, eh?"

"What if we get back to the Shakespeare essay?"

"You know, I figured out what Hamlet's big problem is too--no KETCHUP!!"

"He seemed to get along OK without it.

"They never put ketchup on - even when you ask for it. How can you eat a hamburger with no ketchup?! Could you shoot that over here? Thanks. Where were we?"

"You figured out the problem with their hamburgers. No ketchup."

"I mean, you know what his big problem is? No laughs. I mean, the guy's gotta lighten up, right? Bite?

"Uh. No, thanks. Who are we talking about now?"

"Oh, right.

'Hamlet went nuts when he caught his mother doing it with his uncle'?"

"Not so great, right?"

"Well, you have the right idea. But you could've said, 'Hamlet was tormented by his mother's incestuous relationship with his uncle.'

"Incestuous relationship"! OH GOD! Mason's gonna FLIP when she reads this!!! "lncestuous." You're a really smart guy, you know that? You must think I am some kind of dummy, huh?"

"Actually, I think you're kind of terrific."

by Anonymousreply 2507/06/2013

Pat Birch and Louis St. Louis did great work on Grease so they handed the sequel over to them --a choreographer directing and an arranger composing. The cast is talented, but the songs and direction- not so much.

It's still pretty fun and Birch sure knows how to stage a camp fest-

by Anonymousreply 2607/06/2013

Without Stockard Channing Grease never will be the same.

by Anonymousreply 2707/06/2013

Grease 2 would have been a better movie if it weren't a musical.

Oh, and without Adrian Zmed.

by Anonymousreply 2807/06/2013

Caulfield was hot-too bad he didn't become a big star. Who didn't love Michelle's "Cool Rider" number? lol

by Anonymousreply 2907/06/2013

It's an absolutely awful movie but that diner scene between Pfeiffer and Caulfied is fascinating because it shows exactly why Pfeiffer became a huge imternational movie star and Caulfield had to go back to England to do TV hospital dramas and soaps. She is fantastic in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 3007/06/2013

Totally agree, r30. Grease 2 was the first time I saw Pfeiffer -- I was 13 -- and even though I was gay, she fascinated me, especially in that diner scene. Everything around her was only blandly entertaining, but she just dazzled.

by Anonymousreply 3107/06/2013

Dollar signs. That's what they were thinking. They figured that if people loved the original (which, despite its popularity, was really a piece of shit) they would also go crazy over a sequel. The sequel was as bad, if not worse, than the original, but people weren't buying it this time.

by Anonymousreply 3207/06/2013

I was only 8ish when I saw Grease 2 and I fell in love with Michelle Pfeiffer, was so happy when she went on to bigger and better things. I was definitely fully aware of my gayness even then but I hated Maxwell Caulfied in that film, thought he was so dull and boring. As an adult I can appreciate his other charms but then I thought he really weighed the film down and hated his love scenes with Pfeiffer.

by Anonymousreply 3307/06/2013

I felt the same exact thing, R33. And watching it now, I'm shocking at just how gorgeous he was.

by Anonymousreply 3407/06/2013

[quote] I was only 12 when it came out but I read the newspaper and watched TV and can't even remember any advertising for this movie,

It's fascinating to me that you think what you remember as a 12-year-old make any difference to anyone in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3507/07/2013

I was 13 when the original GREASE came out in the Summer of literally was life-changing...

The pressure to follow it with a sequel was overwhelming (One must remember that, in 2013 dollars, GREASE grossed about $600,000,000 million US dollars...about $700,000,000 overseas and about $200 million in music and licensing...and no, that doesn't count TV, cable and home video).. idea being floated around starting the fall of 1978(while Grease was STILL in theaters - months after it's release) was that somehow that graduating class would be found to be ineligible for graduation and that they would all come back to SUMMER SCHOOL! thus calling it.

GREASE 2: Summer School

The enormity of writing a script to this idea, and ten songs and getting the biggest star in the world Travolta and the now even more famous ONJ to sign on AND paying even the minor players what would amount to huge salaries to return...well...

...the idea died by late 1979..

and yes...that Grease 2 script and the song Cool Rider were written especially for the film debut of Pat Benatar...Pat read the script and said fucking way...

by Anonymousreply 3607/07/2013

Caulfield had a major success off-Broadway in "Entertaining Mr. Sloan," as the hot stud whom men and women wanted to get into bed. It turned out that he was only at his very best when he played that kind of role, which was certainly not the case in Grease 2.

by Anonymousreply 3707/07/2013

Was Pamela Segall (Adlon)'s character supposed to bring to mind Mackenzie Phillips in "American Graffitti?"

by Anonymousreply 3807/07/2013

The bowling alley song is terribly choreographed and sung.

by Anonymousreply 3907/07/2013

I feel badly that the villain in the first film came back to do this. God, he had an unfortunate complexion.

I heard he later died of AIDS-related complications.

by Anonymousreply 4007/07/2013

Caulfield also did My Night with Reg in NY, where he was beautifully bare-assed along with Sam Trammell (later of True Blood). Now that's a night in the theatre that won't soon be forgotten!

by Anonymousreply 4107/07/2013

He was completely naked, lying face down onstage for over an hour in the play Salonika at the Public Theater in NYC in the 1980s. It was set on a Greek island and his character was sunbathing. Poor Jessica Tandy and Elizabeth Wilson, who had all the dialogue, didn't stand a chance with him there. Talk about upstaging. His body was utterly magnificent. And it was a 3/4 stage so it was surrounded on 3 sides. It was hilarious to watch all the gay men on the other side keeping their eyes fixed on Caulfield's fabulous ass.

by Anonymousreply 4207/07/2013

Pat Benetar of Hell is for Children fame turned down Grease 2? Damn ... that speaks volumes!

by Anonymousreply 4307/08/2013

How come they never made a Hello, Dolly! 2?

by Anonymousreply 4407/08/2013

Or a Mamier?

by Anonymousreply 4507/08/2013

It really is a stupid ass movie.

by Anonymousreply 4607/08/2013

It makes sense now why Pfeifer (spelling) was cast. She looked exactly like a cross between Debbie Harry and Pat Benatar. She kind of played it like Debbie would have. (think thin seventies debbie, not later)

by Anonymousreply 4707/09/2013

The Pink Ladies pledge To ACT COOL To LOOK COOL and to BE COOL Til death do us part THINK PINK!

by Anonymousreply 4807/11/2013

While I think the film version of "GREASE" is heavily flawed (name by by jettisoning 70% of the great stage songs), it's light years ahead of Grease 2 which feels joyless.

by Anonymousreply 4907/11/2013

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Joyless? Grease 2 is filled with laughs a minute. It's a complete delight. Repoduction? The Bowling Song? Louis trying to get Sharon to have sex with him in the bomb shelter? Who's that Guy? It's thrill after thrill as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 5007/11/2013

Also, Lorna Luft is wonderful in this film. Her sweet little homage to Marilyn Monroe in that fateful summer of 1962 went over a lot of viewers heads but not this one. Her mother was Judy Garland, she grew up witnessing that whole generation of legendary stars. Her performance as Paulette really resonates and Luft's presence as a throwback to this classic Americana is also a sweet compliment to Michelle Pfeiffer's very modern, cutting edge and inevitable stardom.

by Anonymousreply 5107/11/2013

I love it. It did hurt the franchise and made no Grease 3 at the time, but since...I've come to love it and all the songs.

by Anonymousreply 5207/11/2013

R51, are you serious? She was a total mediocrity and looked 15 years too old to be a college student.

by Anonymousreply 5307/11/2013

r53, log off Liza. Nobody wants you here.

by Anonymousreply 5407/11/2013

If it was just a year later, why wasn't Frenchie still a Pink Lady? How did she get downgraded from cool girl to semi nerdy? Why did the T-Birds focus shift from hot-rods to motorcycles in one year? Wasn't Sandy Australian? Wasnt her cousin supposed to be British? What high school can afford to put up a swimming pool for a luau?

by Anonymousreply 5507/11/2013

What high school can afford a traveling carnival on their football field?

by Anonymousreply 5607/11/2013

R51 = Lorna Luft

by Anonymousreply 5707/11/2013

Never seen it - how did they justify that Frenchie was still hanging around high school kids?

by Anonymousreply 5807/11/2013

She didn't graduate because she was a high school drop out

by Anonymousreply 5907/11/2013

Why was Lorna Luft's ass heart-shaped? Was she padded or did she really have a good body? Why didn't she become a big star?

by Anonymousreply 6007/11/2013

The music was godawful. The two leads were beautiful but vacant. The only funny actor in it was the one who played Sharon, who somehow looked more vibrant than everyone else in it.

But the two leads were beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 6107/11/2013

"The most important thing in my life now is skin care!"

(Sorry, it's on Logo now ...)

by Anonymousreply 6209/15/2013

It's a Gen X touchstone. It came out the summer everyone got HBO.

by Anonymousreply 6309/15/2013

A "Grease 3" script was actually written and passed around Hollywood for a long time. The studios deliberated over it because the first draft wasn't up to scratch and they didn't have anyone to write the music.

The story involved Sandy's daughter (a smart, honors society student) having a fateful meeting with Danny's son one summer at the beach. John and Olivia were meant to make cameo appearances at the beach and were supposed to keep missing each other. So neither family realized who the other person was.

Cue to the new school year and Sandy's daughter and Danny's son end up attending the same high school in California. Danny's son is the star of the football team but dreams of singing and performing. The school is putting on a play and he is scared what his team mates might think if he auditions.

Sandy's daughter falls in with the academic crowd and is seen as a nerd, but because she's pretty, she's also seen as a threat by the school's most popular girl - Rizzo's daughter - who also has a crush on Danny's son.

Eventually, Sandy's daughter and Danny's son get to know each other, realize they share a mutual love of singing and encourage each other to audition for the play. However, Rizzo's daughter schemes to come between them. Danny's son's team mates find out about the singing and attempt to stage an intervention. He hurts Sandy's daughter's feelings when he succumbs to peer pressure.

Danny's son eventually realizes his mistake and shows up to audition with Sandy's daughter. When Sandy's daughter and Danny's son win the lead roles in the school play, they realize that opening night clashes with the championship football game and an academic tournament. Will they make it to opening night or will Rizzo's daughter steal the show?

If you think that plot sounds familiar, then you're right. The first draft script for "Grease 3" was eventually sold to Disney, and 15 years later, after a few major adjustments, was turned into "High School Musical" starring Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Tisdale.

The setting changed from California to New Mexico. The beginning of "HSM" was set at a ski resort on NYE, where the two lead characters sang together for the first time. In the original "Grease 3" script, they sang about each other separately just like Sandy and Danny did for "Summer Nights" in the original "Grease" when they went back to school. The football turned into basketball and the school play became the spring musical.

by Anonymousreply 6409/16/2013

R60, the answer to your question can be found WHERE THE BOYS ARE '84. La Luft enters a "Hot Bod" contest. But be warned! Some things, once seen, can never be unseen.

by Anonymousreply 6509/16/2013

The original GREASE film is a P.O.S., ineptly directed by the indescribably untalented Randal Kleiser.

The financial success of that movie is one of the great mysteries of human civilization, and the movie ONLY looks good in comparision to GREASE 2, which admittedly was even worse. But at least the sequel was an original creation, not a howlingly bad adaptation of a really entertaining Broadway musical.

by Anonymousreply 6609/16/2013

A friend of mine was in the film, and remembers how nice Dennis Stewart was - he played 'Crater face', the tough guy head of the motorcycle gang. Stewart was gay, and his (then) boyfriend would always show up on the set ( Norwalk High School). Sadly, Stewart died of AIDS , in 1994.

Apparently , I found out later, he used to do a lot of cruising in WeHo, and Beverly Hills - including the (then) empty bldg. where hairstylist Jay Sebring's salon had been. He was Sharon Tate's best friend, and was killed, next to her. Spooky.

by Anonymousreply 6709/16/2013

I lived in Germany when Grease 2 came out so never saw it. However, at the time of its release Michelle Pfeifer was in a commercial for Lux soap ("Die Seife internationaler Filmstars" -- the soap of international movie stars!) I had no idea who she was, and she was dubbed (everything in Germany is dubbed, they don't do subtitles there), but I remember marveling at how beautiful she was.

Found the Dutch version of the ad on YouTube:

by Anonymousreply 6809/16/2013

I am 44 yr old Gen Xer and watched this continuously one summer.

Loved the campiness of the movie and the corny songs.

by Anonymousreply 6909/16/2013

Lorna Luft stated in an interview that Michelle did her own hair and makeup - the stylist wasn't too happy about that

by Anonymousreply 7008/05/2014

Michelle Pfeiffer singing, "I Want a Rider That's Cooooool..." was absolutely painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 7108/05/2014

Grease 2 was atrocious, but, really, was it any worse than the god-awful first one? I hated the first Grease with a passion!

by Anonymousreply 7208/05/2014

By a margin as big as the Atlantic and Pacific oceans put together, R72. In the first [italic]Grease[/italic], you actually care whether the characters end up together. In [italic]Grease 2[/italic], it's more like "they deserve each other, especially after that death-faking thing."

by Anonymousreply 7308/05/2014

lmao @ Michelle trying to sing! Bitch can't sing at all. She looked pretty though.

by Anonymousreply 7408/05/2014

R74 Shut up and listen! At least I sing it better than Madonna or Elena Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 7508/05/2014

A zillion times worse, R72.

by Anonymousreply 7608/06/2014

r73, I cared about the Grease 2 characters much more. They were all unconventional. I didn't give a fuck about Sandy and co in the first one.

by Anonymousreply 7708/06/2014

Chelsea Cinemas recently had a special screening of Grease 2 and Patricia Birch was the guest of honor. She even autographed a DVD copy of both movies, which was then given away as a prize.

I wonder what she had to say... Did anyone here go to that? Reports are welcome.

by Anonymousreply 7808/06/2014

[quote]The original GREASE film is a P.O.S., ineptly directed by the indescribably untalented Randal Kleiser... The financial success of that movie is one of the great mysteries of human civilization

There is no mystery Dear, a billion people worldwide ENJOY the movie. You sound like a complete joy to be around.

by Anonymousreply 7908/06/2014

Spent that summer ('83?'84?) watching it continuously on HBO. Loved it then, love it now. Maxwell and Michelle were completely gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 8008/07/2014

R75 it's not hard to sing better than Vadge lol

by Anonymousreply 8108/07/2014

Nobody would have supported a "Grease 3" knowing Danny & Sandy didn't live happily ever after. They actually did what should have been "Grease 3" as "Back To The Beach " with Frankie & Annette who come back to visit their daughter who is secretly shacking up with a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 8208/07/2014

[quote](everything in Germany is dubbed, they don't do subtitles there),

I've recently discovered that a lot of European countries dub foreign movies and TV shows. I had to laugh, because Americans are given a lot of flack if a foreign film is even dubbed, and yet they do it, too.

by Anonymousreply 8308/07/2014

Was there room in the Universe for a Grease 3 and Can't Stop the Music and Xanadu? Don't think so!

by Anonymousreply 8408/07/2014

I remember when I first saw The A Team in French. I was surprised because they even had their own version (a VOCAL version) of the theme tune.

by Anonymousreply 8508/07/2014

Upthread, last year someone recommended Party Animals, with sounds interesting and which I have just requested from my library.

by Anonymousreply 8608/07/2014

Who wrote Party Animals?

by Anonymousreply 8708/07/2014

Robert Hofler wrote it; he also wrote several other entertainment books, including the one about agent/manager/mentor Henry Willson and Rock Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 8808/07/2014

[quote]The original GREASE film is a P.O.S., ineptly directed by the indescribably untalented Randal Kleiser.

My good sir!

I am 49 years old, and represent a great many in my generation.

Those are fightin' words!

by Anonymousreply 8908/07/2014

Who wants advice on reproduction from Tab Hunter? That's like taking diet advice from Rob Ford.

by Anonymousreply 9008/07/2014

"There is no mystery Dear, a billion people worldwide ENJOY the movie. You sound like a complete joy to be around."

A billion people worldwide have also enjoyed pieces of crap like the Fokkers movies, and I can't understand that, either :-)

by Anonymousreply 9108/07/2014

Grease was a simple play. Boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl.

If you read original reviews, they are astonished by the success of this "Simple" play.

Grease as a play and movie was a good time musically to look back 20 years to another time.

Grease the movie was made that much better by the music of John Farrar and the Bee Gees, but as story goes it's nothing, but neither are the Beverly Hillbillies, I Love Lucy or Green Acres. They're still fun to watch and provide enjoyment.

As Orsen Wells said, "Not everything I do has to be highbrow"

by Anonymousreply 9208/07/2014

That movie was soooo panned in the Summer of 1982 by idiot critics who jack off to sci fi and action films. I personally preferred Grease 2 to that sappy E.T. or those boring sci-fi wank offs like Blade Runner, Road Warrior, Star Trek II-The Wrath of Khan, etc. or putrid teen sex comedies like Porky's, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Last American Virgin.

The BEST and most entertaining three movies of the Summer of '82 were, in my opinion, The Pirate Movie, Annie, & Grease 2. Just my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 9308/07/2014

R93, you have shitty, infantile taste.

by Anonymousreply 9408/07/2014

Hey R94, pump it and plow it.

by Anonymousreply 9508/07/2014

r93 writes that the most entertaining three movies of the Summer of '82 were The Pirate Movie, Annie, & Grease 2.

This is a parody post, right, because the general consensus, my opinion included, is these are three of the worst movies of that year, or any year.

by Anonymousreply 9608/07/2014

"Grease the movie was made that much better by the music of John Farrar and the Bee Gees."

The Bee Gees had nothing to do with "Grease." You're thinking of "Saturday Night Fever."

by Anonymousreply 9708/11/2014

After I watched Grease 2 this weekend...having forgotten how bad it was...I tuned in to "Roller Boogie" with Linda Blair.

Roller Boogie is worse than Grease 2, and that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 9808/11/2014

I'd take [italic]Annie[/italic] over any of the other dog turds R93 mentioned, [italic]Grease 2[/italic] included ([italic]ET[/italic] excepted). My God, those teen sex "comedies" were all awful, homophobic, sexist, heterosexist, heteronormative trash. Every last one of them. They weren't funny then and they aren't funny now.

[quote]The Bee Gees had nothing to do with "Grease."

Except for one of the Gibb brothers writing the title song.

by Anonymousreply 9908/11/2014

[quote]They weren't funny then and they aren't funny now.

by Anonymousreply 10008/11/2014

>>heteronormative trash

Clutching my pearls as I type.

by Anonymousreply 10108/11/2014

I just got Party Animals out of the library, and look forward to an entertaining read.

by Anonymousreply 10208/11/2014

@Anonymous - you're an idiot for suggesting that it has as many fans as the original. It cost more than twice to make as the original, it lost money at the box office. The only single from the soundtrack: The Four Tops 'Back to school again' peaked at UK 62 and US 71!!!

The album didn't even chart anywhere in the top 100 of either country...why don't you go and check the figures if you don't believe me. The only 'young directors' who like it quite clearly like it because it's a pile of camp garbage. The head of Paramount hated it, so did Jim Jacobs who wrote the original Grease called it 'The Pits'.

None of the original songwriters were asked to return, apart from Louis St Louis who wrote 'Sandy', and clearly that one song was a fluke the first time around. Grease 2 was an obvious cash that everyone did half heartedly. I'm not saying it isn't fun as an exceptionally bad movie, like Trog or The Room, but it's still total shit!!

by Anonymousreply 10310/08/2014

R103, not that I disagree with you but nothing you stated proves that Grease 2 doesn't have just as many fans as the original. Box office receipts, chart placement, nor who wrote the songs has anything to do with anything.

Grease 2 developed a huge following thanks to Cable and Video/DVD releases. An entire generation grew up with Grease 2 and some prefer it over the original (why I don't know, but that's not the point).

by Anonymousreply 10410/08/2014

My high school Drama teacher was an EXTRA in Grease 2 and she would throw that fact around ALL THE TIME like it gave her special privileges. She BRAGGED about it at least once a week. I imagine she led a pretty sad existence.

by Anonymousreply 10510/08/2014

One of the dumbest movies EVER. Could not sit through it.

Same goes for that stupid ass Footloose remake. That's even worse!

by Anonymousreply 10610/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!