Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"White House Down" reviews are awful

Looks like the Oscar curse will continue for Jamie Foxx. Has he had any films that were successful, since "Ray" ?

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 6509/03/2013

[quote]Has he had any films that were successful, since "Ray" ?

Yes. His last film "Django Unchained" was a huge hit and earned $424 million at the box office.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 106/29/2013

Wasn't Jamie supposed to get crtical acclaim for WHD?

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 206/29/2013

Yes OP, Quintin Tarantino's Django Unchained was a huge success.

QT got several nominations and a few awards. Leonardo Dicaprio didn't get anything but a least people talked about him being "snubbed".

Jamie Foxcwas COMPLETLY overlooked in this movie. Everyone saw it, and it was successful, and I dont think anyone would have liked it if there was a different star. That German actor Waltz received all the accolades.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 306/29/2013

RE 1 - Of course. Sorry, tired. Besides " Django" ?

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 406/29/2013

He wasn't that good in Ray. It was his never-ending campaigning that won him the Oscar. He's the male Ann Hathaway.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 506/29/2013

I can't wait to see it, OP!

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 606/29/2013

Snuck into WHD after seeing the Heat. It was ok, ending was kinda lame but it was free so i can't bitch.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 706/29/2013

Maggie G has been out big time promoting White House Down.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 806/29/2013

OP = Will Smith

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 906/29/2013

That racist asshole Jamie F. needs to go away.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1006/29/2013

Please clarify, R10. How is Jamie F. a racist?

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1106/29/2013

Both he and the movie got raves in the review I read yesterday.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1206/29/2013

I am not r10 but he said on SNL he wants to "kill all the white people".

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1306/29/2013

It's Obamarambo. If you ever want to see Hollywood softening the edges of a very murderous junta, look no further than this deadening piece of shit

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1406/29/2013

I heard his license plate was "Kill Whitey"

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1506/29/2013

R13, that's what I figured the example of JF's racism was going to be (which is why I asked the question), a bit written into his opening monologue by the writing staff of SNL (which, as I hear, is predominantly white and male). It's as ridiculous as people having blamed Jennifer Lawrence for the bit she did about her fellow nominees in her opening monologue (also written by others).

So I guess, going by this logic, Leo is a racist, too, simply because he played one in a movie. Insane.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1606/29/2013

What's even worse for JF, in the previews, he was second billed to Channing Tatum.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1706/29/2013

Vegas's major newspaper praised the buddy relationship/chemistry between Tatum and Fox, reminiscent of older movies. Of course they said the story was a rehash too but had lots of action for a summer flick.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1806/29/2013

It was a fun summer movie. Light, fluffy and fun.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 1906/29/2013

Hello!

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2006/29/2013

[quote]It was a fun summer movie. Light, fluffy and fun

Just like Tatum's cock!

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2106/29/2013

To be fair, Channing is a larger draw now than Jamie. Channing is an A-lister now.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2206/29/2013

Maybe not, R22:

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2306/29/2013

[quote]It was a fun summer movie. Light, fluffy and fun.

Shouldn't a movie called White House Down be something other than light and fluffy?

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2406/29/2013

It has a budget of $150 million. Why would a movie like that need a high budget? It's looks so boring and a previous movie already had the same plot. wow.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2506/29/2013

Lots of Roland's boytoys as extras in this movie, shirtless and everything.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2606/29/2013

R23, I don't think they will drum him out of town for one unsuccessful movie.

That said, a lot of journalists seem to underline with glee and haste how the movie underperformed, like they are doing it with a vengence. They called it a bomb as soon as early Friday afternoon with a lot of shadenfeude. Gee! Wait at least until Sunday afternoon, maybe ?

On the imdb board, there is a lot of hatred for a film the viewers perceive as Pro-Obama, leftist propaganda.

Roeper gave it an F. Tsk! It might be a C+, but hardly an "F".

Saw the movie today. It was an average, mindless popcorn movie. The buddy movie aspect with Jamie Fox is fun and the relationship with his estranged daughter, while predicatable is cute.

Believe it or not, Channing Tatum improved. Neither the movie nor his acting is Oscar material, but he seems A LOT more comfortable than before and his confidence makes him more charming. Since, I'm rooting for the guy, I'm sorry this film won't ciment his reputation as a star able to open a movie no matter what. But down and out he is not... yet.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2706/29/2013

So, I just got back from seeing it.

It was ridiculous and over-the-top, of course. And kind of clichéd. But it was fun. Lots of adrenalin. It didn't let up much, once it got going. Kinda corny towards the end, but I still left the theater with a smile. Mindless summer pop-corn fun.

Channing Tatum was awesome. Jamie Foxx was good. Maggie Gyllenhaal was better than I've seen her before. Some really great effects (and a few not-so-great).

Really, sometimes I think people just like to shit on things that aren't serious or deep or Shakespeare. There's a place for mindless fun, and you can do worse than this.

At least it's not utter pretentious crap like "Prometheus".

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2806/30/2013

How soon will Fox News blame Obama for the failure of the movie?

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 2906/30/2013

Actually, R29, I think FOX News types would think this was a horribly pro-Obama, anti-Republican/conservative movie. Which might be why it's not doing so well.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3006/30/2013

It's a fine line to walk... a gung-ho military explosions movie that's also incredibly liberal in its politics.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3107/01/2013

It was a fun movie, imho. Check-your-brain-at-the-door pop-corn fun. Shit blowed up real good.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3207/01/2013

I knew it would [bold]FLOP[/bold]

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3307/01/2013

I wonder if it'll be more popular over the 4th of July holiday.

Patriotic Rah-Rah and explosions do well then. It might not drop a lot compared to other movies if that's the case.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3407/01/2013

I thought it was good.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3507/01/2013

I agree with R28, R30 and R31. They nailed it.

The movie present itself as a patriotic fare, with a lot of explosion and noise and ludicrous twists.

And yet, when reading the comment on imdb, I notice with surprise that the movie had serverly alienated ab BIG part of its intended audience because of the political ideas of the president played by Jamie Foxx. They call it left-wing propaganda and they seem as angry as that time with the Dixie Chicks. It's that hysterical.

Well, that was unexpected.

Anyway, more "liberal", "left-wing" viwers might not care for that kind of "save the president" by the number story. Red states are actively boycotting it.

So, there you have the bomb I didn't expect to happen this summer. Oh, well.

Unkind articles taking vicious fun of the fact that Channing Tatum couldn't open and make profitable a 150M movie that had a lot of markting problems are also pourring in.

It has to happen eventually.

I'm just a bit annoyed he got beaten by Sandra Bullock and the other annoying woman.

But, what can I say. The people has chosen.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3607/01/2013

I like Tatum and am okay with Foxx. I still have no desire to see this. It looks completely stupid and the bad reviews completely back up that expectation.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3707/01/2013

Regardless of what you think of the movie itself, Channing Tatum was really good in it. He's no Oscar caliber performer by any means, and never will be. But his abilities are a strong fit with this sort of movie, and he did well.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3807/01/2013

R37, you can go just to see those two in action.

The movie isn't bad. The bad reviews are kind of heavy-handed. It's a stupid movie to be sure, but in the fun pop-corn summer fare sort of way.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 3907/01/2013

Just read , per Deadline, movie considered huge disappointment at box office- came in 4th after Monsters University, The Heat, & World War Z. Marketing is blamed. I blame Jamie Foxx.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4007/01/2013

[quote]a very murderous junta

You didn't mine when it was a murderous REPULICAN junta, though, did you, Freeper Cunt?

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4107/01/2013

Why can't Tatum and Foxx play heroes who expose the Big Brother Surveillance State imposed on us by the Pentagon and Wall Street aided by their paid-for lackeys in the White House and Congress?

Fuck their War on Terror propaganda!

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4207/01/2013

Roland. Channing. Jamie.

Throw in Hugh and you'd have a beautiful multi-layered sausage fest.

Think about it.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4307/01/2013

At 3,222 theaters, White House Down got off to a slow $25.7 million start. In comparison, similar movie Olympus Has Fallen opened to $30.4 million with less star power and cheaper effects. It's also way off from star Channing Tatum's 2012 trifecta (The Vow/Magic Mike/21 Jump Street), all of which opened to at least $36 million.

While White House Down was too small-scale to possibly match director Roland Emmerich's biggest movies, this particularly disappointing debut should be chalked up to poor scheduling. While this is Sunday Morning Quarterbacking (trademark pending), it does seems like opening after Olympus Has Fallen hurt the movie's prospects. Armageddon and Deep Impact had the same basic premise, but the movies were very different after that; that wasn't the case with White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen, which had similar titles and imagery. It didn't help that Channing Tatum's female fanbase also had The Heat this weekend, and that action-craving audiences have been hearing good things about World War Z all week.

Distributor Sony Pictures reported that the audience was 51 percent female and 61 percent were 25 years of age or older. They gave it a good "A-" CinemaScore; while that suggests it will play well over the next few weeks, getting to $100 million seems like an impossibility given how low this debut was.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4407/01/2013

Why can't Tatum and Foxx play hard working government employees, at the rival CIA and FBI, who can't really protect America because of bureaucratic bungling and incompetence? (See Lawrence Wrights' The Looming Tower) Then you'd have both liberals and the far right cheering your more realistic flick.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4507/01/2013

I remember, back in the day, Hollywood was going to make 2 competing movies about a fire, in a high-rise bldg. Made no sense. So 2 studios got together (Fox & WB, I believe) , and instead of the 2 competing films, made 1 - "The Towering Inferno". It was a huge success, and everyone was happy. Why can't they try this now ? If they had only blended "White House Down" & "Olympus Has Fallin" , they'd probably have one big smash hit - instead of 2 so-so B.O. Misses.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4607/01/2013

The reviews are overly negative.

The movie is underrated.

It's too bad there was that other movie that came out before this... this one is actually more believable.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4707/02/2013

Jamie...."kill all the white people" "how great is that?"....Foxx has gotten quite militant.

Maybe a great many white people said FUCK YOU to Foxx and White House Down.

That's fair.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4807/02/2013

What in the fuck is R48 babbling about?

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 4907/02/2013

google is your friend R49

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5007/02/2013

If it has to be googled, then I doubt it's going to have a significant effect on attendance.

And I still have no idea what the fuck you're babbling about.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5107/02/2013

Huh r51.

Maybe it just has to be googled for you.

Foxx said it in a SNL skit and has already had to explain himself.

But maybe his.... Hey, I'm a comedian excuse didn't go over too well with white people.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5207/02/2013

" I'm gonna get me a shotgun and kill all the whities I see..."

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5307/02/2013

(rolling eyes at R52)

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5407/02/2013

Foxx has also been militant about Trayvon.

Putz probably didn't even think a trial was in order.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5507/02/2013

r48 is a nutcase. So is r52. These idiots cannot even handle a black president IN A MOVIE! lulz

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5607/02/2013

[quote]Foxx said it in a SNL skit and has already had to explain himself.

Only to fucking idiots who don't know the difference between performing a monologue written by the all-white male staff of SNL and an expression of one's true-life political convictions.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5707/02/2013

Jamie Foxx is insufferable. Used to like him, till I heard too many stories about what an asshole he is - besides being on the DL, hating whitey, and thinking he can do anything.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5807/02/2013

And yet none of that has anything to do with his performance or character in this movie. Yeesh.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 5907/03/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 6007/03/2013

The cinemascore ratings for White House Down are at least double the rotten-tomato reviewer ratings.

Having seen it, I think the audience score is closer to reality.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 6107/03/2013

People have finally figured out that they themselves are fully capable of providing their own entertainment.

Whether it's daydreaming, falling in love, writing short stories, playing music, or just dressing fashionably, the average person is realizing their own POWER.

Like Spielberg said, Hollywood is dying off.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 6207/03/2013

Tatum just doesn't do it for me-average face and acting abilities. His body is nice that's about it. Give me the dilfs Stallone and Lundgren any day over him. The best modern day action star is the fucking hot Dwayne Johnson.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 6307/03/2013

I'll take Channing Tatum's personality over Stallone or Lundgren's any day (besides, both of those guys are ancient and icky now... they were hot in their day, but not fun like Tatum)

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 6407/03/2013

I watched this over the weekend and really didn't think it was as bad as the reviews made it out to be. It was a fun blow-em-up action movie, nothing more. And I'll watch Channing Tatum in anything.

One thing they really got right was the White House tour group really looked and sounded like actual Americans (fat, slovenly and poorly dressed, with atrocious grammar) instead of the usual Hollywood types that are cast in those kinds of roles.

by Marcus Anthony - stick with music my lovereply 6509/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.