Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Prop 8: Gay marriages can resume in California, court rules

The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday cleared the way for gay marriages to resume in California.

The court lifted its stay on an injunction which ordered state officials to stop enforcing Proposition 8. With the court's action, counties can now begin issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

A spokesman for the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals had originally said it would takes the court at least 25 days to act after a Supreme Court ruling. Immediately afterward, Gov. Jerry Brown ordered his public health agency to advise the state's counties to "begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in California as soon as the 9th Circuit confirms the stay is lifted."

(more at link)

by Anonymousreply 3707/01/2013

That's great! Now I just need to find someone to marry.

by Anonymousreply 106/28/2013

FReeper heads are exploding over this, of course.

by Anonymousreply 206/28/2013

Californians have been jerked around for over 5 years now. I am glad this final legal obstacle has been dealt with quickly.

by Anonymousreply 306/28/2013

Is everyone out getting married now?

Only 3 posts. Really?

by Anonymousreply 406/28/2013

[quote] Two plaintiffs in the Prop. 8 case, Sandy Stier and Kris Perry, were first in line at San Francisco City Hall waiting to get their marriage license. State Attorney General Kamala Harris was expected to officiate the ceremony on Mayor Ed Lee’s balcony.

by Anonymousreply 506/28/2013

Maybe we're on Primetime.

I love that it happened the weekend of Pride.

And that the first wedding in San Francisco will be Kristen Perry and Sandra Stier, and that Kamala Harris is going to officiate.

by Anonymousreply 606/28/2013

What dose Freeper actually stand for? New to the DL.

by Anonymousreply 706/28/2013

No primited. When "primetime" it's only 2 people posting here

by Anonymousreply 806/28/2013

Real marriages take time and planning, dont most straight people plan almost a year in advance?

And last time I checked, they dont have drive through Elvis weddings like they do in Las Vegas... where gay marriage is not allowed.

by Anonymousreply 906/28/2013

[quote]Real marriages take time and planning, dont most straight people plan almost a year in advance?

Perhaps weddings do. But marriages don't.

And I think people are in a carpe diem mood about this.

Look at it this way, some of these people have waited four and a half years. Let them have their moment.

by Anonymousreply 1006/28/2013

R9 = MARY!

by Anonymousreply 1106/28/2013

[quote] What dose Freeper actually stand for? New to the DL

FReepers are posters from the right wing website Free Republic (which is actually and oxymoron)

by Anonymousreply 1206/28/2013

Life wedding of Perry couple

by Anonymousreply 1306/28/2013

Sandy Stir and Kris Perry

by Anonymousreply 1406/28/2013

Well, if I can get married now, I want all the bells and whistles especially after waiting so long.

HusBitch better get down on her knees too. LOL

by Anonymousreply 1506/28/2013

I know Kamala Harris' short-term career goal is to be Governor, but I hope she runs for President someday.

And given her ethnic background, they can revive the Obama citizenship conspiracy theories and just change the gender and "Kenya" to "India."

by Anonymousreply 1606/28/2013

Is Kamala Harris gay? She sure pings a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1706/28/2013

I want Kamala on the Supreme Court.

But Republicans would filibuster.

by Anonymousreply 1806/28/2013

Ask Willie Brown, R17.

by Anonymousreply 1906/28/2013

I can't even get a date.

by Anonymousreply 2006/28/2013

For R20

by Anonymousreply 2106/28/2013

I'm really happy about all the positive motion toward equal rights, also the sunny weather in SF this week, Frameline film festival, and also Pride coming up...

But I just broke up with my boyfriend a few weeks ago, and this is all really challenging for me. I really miss him, it's a rough breakup, and we had lots of plans this week, and in the future, to do lots of things together.

Plus, I had surgery yesterday where they had to remove a full hemorrhoid vein from my ass, and I am forced to work because we have a major deadline I'm sitting here, bleeding out my ass, sick of crying, drafting documents, and trying to 'man up'...but it's difficult. I am tempted to text him and see how he's doing, but I know it's a bad idea.

Just one queen's story this Pride.

by Anonymousreply 2206/28/2013

Dont do it R22, you are just down and out at the moment, the ass pain (literal and figurative) will pass. A week from now you will be saying what was I thinking.

by Anonymousreply 2306/28/2013

Prop 8 proponents heads exploding, per their website:

[bold] Outrageous Act by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals! [/bold]

We just received word that the Ninth Circuit, without waiting for the Supreme Court’s decision to become final and depriving us of our right to ask for reconsideration, has rushed forward to order same-sex marriage licenses.This outrageous act tops off a chronic pattern of lawlessness, throughout this case, by judges and politicians hell-bent on thwarting the vote of the people to redefine marriage by any means, even outright corruption.”Homosexual marriage is not happening because the people changed their mind. It isn’t happening because the appellate courts declared a new constitutional right. It’s happening because enemies of the people have abused their power to manipulate the system and render the people voiceless.

“The resumption of same-sex marriage this day has been obtained by illegitimate means. If our opponents rejoice in achieving their goal in a dishonorable fashion, they should be ashamed.

“It remains to be seen whether the fight can go on, but either way, it is a disgraceful day for California.”

by Anonymousreply 2406/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 2506/28/2013

Wow, R24. These idiots will just not give up a lost battle.

by Anonymousreply 2606/28/2013

In the words of a great American, to the Prop 8 supports, I say this: Keep fuckin' that chicken.

by Anonymousreply 2706/28/2013

And Rachel Maddow carried Paul Katami and Jeff Zarillo's wedding live on her show, in what was probably Antonio Villaraigosa's final act as mayor.

She and I were both tearing up by the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 2806/28/2013

Me too R28, just saw that breaking on the news and I live in LA so it hits close to home.

Our city Mayor even looked like he was tearing up after he saw one of the guys going there.

I am so proud of the gay community right now.

by Anonymousreply 2906/28/2013

[quote] Prop 8 proponents heads exploding, per their website:

And what website would that be? Maybe its time for some revers Freeper man on man action.

by Anonymousreply 3006/28/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3106/28/2013

[quote] And what website would that be? Maybe its time for some revers Freeper man on man action.

It's the Protect Marriage website. They were the ones who got Prop 8 on the ballot and were "defending it" in court.

by Anonymousreply 3206/28/2013

r32 hilarious.

Congrats California!! May the rest of the states follow soon!

by Anonymousreply 3306/29/2013

[quote]Outrageous Act by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals!

Not enough cheese in the state of Wisconsin to go with that whine.

by Anonymousreply 3406/29/2013

If anything, legalizing same-sex marriage will reduce the HIV infection rate, as it does encourage people to settle down and be monogamous. Granted, many paople (gay and straight both) still sleep around on the side. But it does encourage monogamy, if the spouses are genuinely committed to one another.

by Anonymousreply 3607/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!