Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do Europeans appear to Americans?

My Dutch friend is in consistent bad humor, mumbles his words, and is over 50 but wears speedos or neon banana hammocks to the beach. My French friend is on welfare but if you take him out to a restaurant, he will comment negatively on the food and send everything back at least once, and still complain. My Brit friends aren't even fit fat, and they take the ferry every weekend to Amsterdam (their version of Vegas) in order to drink, fight and f****. My German friends tell me how amazing it is in their country, that they get all this vacation time and still manage to produce the best cars in the world. Meanwhile, the Muslims they've ignored silently plot their host country's demise in the Dish Cities they've been assigned to.

by Anonymousreply 13712/17/2013

Sounds like you need a better class of friends.

by Anonymousreply 106/28/2013

Actually, I started this so people could respond to something besides the "How do Americans appear to Europeans" thread. Apparently, nobody really cares. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 206/28/2013

"...and is over 50 but wears speedos or neon banana hammocks to the beach."

This isn't necessarily just a European thing, but yes, fat, ancient men shouldn't go around flaunting their inguinal hernias in Speedos. Know your limits, antediluvians.

by Anonymousreply 306/28/2013

Such a weird piece of fiction on your part, OP. Nobody would regularly take the ferry from the UK to Amsterdam, particularly every weekend.... Because London-Amsterdam by rail and ferry takes ten and a half hours, one way. By Eurostar train, four and a half hours; or about an hour by plane. Amsterdam is NOT London's version of Vegas, you just sound a little silly saying that... Have you ever left your own flyover state ? Don't think so. Your imaginary friends need to be retired to your childhood nursery of American fairytales.

by Anonymousreply 506/28/2013

Your British friends take the ferry to Amsterdam every weekend? I don't think so. Plus, the bigot shit you added at the end proves most of this is in your imagination.

Since you're such a Euro expert, then you must have heard about the neo-Nazi trial on at the moment in Germany, when a bunch of neo-Nazis would go around shooting Muslims because they that that they were "silently plotting their host country's demise" or some such crap.

Other than that, Germans don't go on about how they make the best cars in the world or that they get all this vacation time.

by Anonymousreply 806/28/2013

I forgot to mention the Welsh. I know they are Brittish, but they are in a category all of their own. Who would want to share it with them? These are the most inhospitable people you will come across. Vile, Cold and odiferous. Visit Wales and you will see exactly what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 906/28/2013

Hard to say. I've hung out with Scandinavians, Belgiums, Spaniards and Eastern Europeans and they're all very different. The Scandinavians usually had drinking problems and loved to talk shit about Americans yet they preferred the US over their domain. The Belgians were down to earth, loved their chocolate and were friendly towards Americans. Eastern Europeans were somewhat unhinged but fun and passionate. Spaniards were hospitable, passionate, friendly and warm.

by Anonymousreply 1006/28/2013

I depends what country in Europe we're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1106/28/2013

[quote]Such a weird piece of fiction on your part, OP. Nobody would regularly take the ferry from the UK to Amsterdam, particularly every weekend.... Because London-Amsterdam by rail and ferry takes ten and a half hours, one way. By Eurostar train, four and a half hours; or about an hour by plane. Amsterdam is NOT London's version of Vegas, you just sound a little silly saying that... Have you ever left your own flyover state ? Don't think so. Your imaginary friends need to be retired to your childhood nursery of American fairytales.

Not complete fiction, but about as "generalized" as the other thread (which garnered more replies) on how Americans appear to Europeans. All of my examples are true, esp. Amsterdam, but obviously not the travel time. As for the "racist" Muslim reference, that's generalized and "fictive" too.

by Anonymousreply 1206/28/2013

OP, do you work at the UN? I've never known anyone to have so many friends from so many different parts of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 1306/28/2013

[quote]Muslims because they that that they were "silently plotting their host country's demise" or some such crap.

What part of that is false?

by Anonymousreply 1406/28/2013

No R13, I've just lived in NYC for a while.

by Anonymousreply 1506/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 1606/28/2013

I like most Europeans. Sure, there are a few European jerks I've met, but that goes with any ethnicity or nationality. What I love most about Europeans? Their ripe, musky foreskins.

by Anonymousreply 1706/28/2013

And yes, I know that 'European' is not an ethnicity or nationality. I just wanted to use the blanket adjective for now...

by Anonymousreply 1806/28/2013

Anyone who is not an American, is inferior.

by Anonymousreply 1906/28/2013

The warmer the climate they come from, the nicer they are.

Northern European women who travel here need to wash their hair more and don't seem to care about appearing attractive.

by Anonymousreply 2006/28/2013

Europeans are bright enough to see the workers in America have given up all their rights...we are next thing to China and I'm sure that European workers know that since Americans have given everything up for the wealthy few...they will be the next, who are forced into slavery.

by Anonymousreply 2106/28/2013

Many Europeans have yet to discover the joys of a daily bath and soap. It's simply amazing that in the year 2013, basic human cleanliness evades so many.

Many Europeans are smug about their position in the world, living off a sense of some historical grandeur or Empire that has long faded. France anyone??

And, the Nazis, I mean the Germans, forget that their grandfathers were exterminating millions of Jews, gypsies, gays, Poles, and other "undesirables". Most act as if it never happened. But, it did did!

I laugh when Europeans talk about "ugly Americans". Have you have seen a British package tourist in the South of Spain or on the Greek Islands?? It's like a pack of wild drunken animals. Uggghhhh.

Europeans will always point out to Americans when we travel through Europe that we are in their country and we must respect their traditions and their ways. HYPOCRITES!! As one example, when Europeans travel through the US, most don't tip, because as most of my European friends say, "We don't believe in it." or "We don't do that at home." Anyone working in the service industry in the US can confirm this if it is doubted as Europeans are notoriously cheap.

It goes on and on, but I think that you get the point.

by Anonymousreply 2206/28/2013

R22 is spot on. I will add that German women all look and dress like lesbians, which is very confusing for a lesbian traveler looking for action.

by Anonymousreply 2306/28/2013

OP is lying. he has no european friends. i mean, why would europeans visit a trailer park?

by Anonymousreply 2406/28/2013

Trim and fit

by Anonymousreply 2506/28/2013

R25 is obviously a European. LOL

by Anonymousreply 2606/28/2013

Highly opinionated but not nearly as informed about the state of international affairs as they would like to think.

Forget of their own (Brit/German/Dutch/Spaniard) spotty colonial/genocidal histories while wagging their finger at the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 2706/28/2013

Europeans do seem a bit hung up on their past glory of Empire and it can be smug and pompous but at the same time I realize that if it wasn't for that Empire my life as an American, and all the benefits in my life I have enjoyed as a result, would not exist. If it hadn't been for that Empire, I would most likely be some goat herder in the Scottish hinterlands so for that I can cut them some slack.

by Anonymousreply 2806/28/2013

Yeah....R28....because most Scotts are goat herders. LOL

by Anonymousreply 2906/28/2013

My ancestors apparently were, r29

by Anonymousreply 3006/28/2013

Those people aren't Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 3106/28/2013

R22, giving the opinion of a supposedly typical American, doesn't seem to be aware of the irony of their own post.

"Many Europeans have yet to discover the joys of a daily bath and soap. It's simply amazing that in the year 2013, basic human cleanliness evades so many." It's simply amazing that in the year 2013 such crap is still believed by Americans, especially ones who know nothing about Europe.

Do Europeans really talk of "ugly Americans"? Sometimes we are forced to acknowledge the existence of pig-ignorant ones, such as r22, who is probably very ugly, but we don't think all of you are ugly.

It's good to know that Americans have such a nuanced, balanced and unbiased understanding of other peoples and that they don't think of themselves as the "special ones"!

by Anonymousreply 3206/28/2013

R28, If it weren't for the Empire, you would be wearing a plaid skirt right now!

by Anonymousreply 3306/28/2013

Europeans get most things right that the US gets wrong, as in tax funded "free" universal healthcare, affordable or free university education, full equality for gays in most countries, and a sophisticated transit system that runs on time.

However, they're becoming increasingly nationalist and xenophobic, their far right movements are growing, and a lot of European countries are outrageously expensive to live in and have limited job opportunities.

Many immigrants in Europe don't assimilate because they're either ostracized in decaying and forgotten suburbs or told that they don't have to assimilate.

by Anonymousreply 3406/28/2013

P.S. R22, we do "tip" (i.e. pay an extra gratuity as wait staff don't get paid decent salaries) when we're in the US, we're just a little astonished at the concept that employers don't actually pay their staff a living and, more to the point, that this is socially acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2013

Misleading title, which should have been "I shit myself whenever brown people are around."

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2013

I think the French look effortlessly chic. But why do they wear scarves all the time?

I like how the Brits don't take themselves to seriously.

I found the Dutch to be very direct, so much so that it came across as hostile.

Spainards and Italians: very friendly.

by Anonymousreply 3706/28/2013

Omg German tourists have hip checked me in trader joes. No manners at all - and they all wear strange colored shoes..

by Anonymousreply 3906/29/2013

[quote]The Brittish ones are more unattractive than the rest, with teeth than resemble baked beans, the German ones are rude assholes, the Dutch are racist embarrassments,the French are no where near as chic as their reputation would portray them.

This says so much about R6 and so little about the "Brittish", French, Germans and Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 4006/29/2013

I'm Dutch too and most here find americans to be shockingly friendly and polite compared to themselves.

One snarky Dutch journalist was skeptical and tried to find out if it was all just a farce.

When he went to Starbucks in NY (I believe) he put on a sad face and when a Starbucks employee asked if he was alright, he lied to her that he was sad because his wife had just passed away. According to him major drama ensued: the girl started sobbing and all the other employees joined in and offered their teary-eyed condolences.

Finally they all joined in a circle around him, joined hands and started singing 'You've Got a Friend'. He was completely shocked and felt embarrassed afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 4106/29/2013

That was funy!

by Anonymousreply 4206/29/2013

Serves him right for being such an asshole. Are politeness and hospitality lost in European culture? What kind of twisted fuck would lie about the death of his pause???? :O

by Anonymousreply 4306/29/2013

[quote]Finally they all joined in a circle around him, joined hands and started singing 'You've Got a Friend'.

Forget Guantanamo Bay - if this doesn't prove that Americans are the cruelest people on earth, then nothing else ever will.

by Anonymousreply 4406/29/2013

Hehe, I'm loving this thread. Please post more about the British, French, Portuguese and Germans. Such vile people.

by Anonymousreply 4506/29/2013

The Amsterdam thing is weird. Brits abroad wanting to get drunk either take the ferry to Calais (the infamous 'booze cruises') or go to Ibiza or somewhere. Maybe Croatia on EasyJet for a stag night. Amsterdam's not really on the radar. It's the kind of place Brits might go once as a student.

by Anonymousreply 4606/29/2013

Most Americans are descended from Europeans who got up off their asses, packed up their shit and moved.

Most Europeans are descended form the lazy ones that stayed.

by Anonymousreply 4706/29/2013

The majority of Europeans spend at least 85% of their waking hours thinking or talking about the United States, what they feel about how the President is doing, etc. It's the major topic of conversation at every social function.

by Anonymousreply 4806/29/2013

Do Americans really think that, r48. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 4906/29/2013

R47 most Americans of British origin are descended from the crazy religious fundamentalists we thankfully managed to get rid. Americans of other European origin are descended from starving peasants.

R49, I know. This thread is not so much "enlightening" for American views of Europeans, but for what it reveals about the strange view that some Americans have of themselves and their country's place in the world.

by Anonymousreply 5006/29/2013

Not hardly, r50. When you say Brits, you bring in the Scots as well as the Welsh on top of all the non-Puritan English. Most of the Americans of British descent are NOT descended from the Puritans, Pilgrims or Quakers who came from Great Britain to settle the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 5106/29/2013

R40, R6 could have put it nicer, the baked bean bit was harsh, but what R6 said was in fact true. The British are more unattractive generally than other Europeans. Germans do tend to be harsh. I don't know much about the French, but I've been to Holland, and I can assure you, the Dutch really are quite racist.

by Anonymousreply 5206/29/2013

Meanwhile: Italy is simply fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 5306/29/2013

[quote]How do Europeans appear to Americans?

by Anonymousreply 5406/29/2013

It depends, r51. Even before union with England, to create Britain, most Scotch migrants to the Americas were hardened protestants, I believe, or at least the dominant element. I think these are the ancestors of the Appalachians and various other rednecks, especially the Ulster Scots.

On another note, whenever Americans visit Europe and we start going on about our convoluted politics and centuries-old concerns, all in various languages, I do wonder whether you guys get confused. The ones that think beyond the teeth colour thing or decide on the basis of 3 days in Amsterdam that all Dutch are racists, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 5506/29/2013

R49, think it? No, I know it.

by Anonymousreply 5606/29/2013

Exiting the jet bridge at major airports.

by Anonymousreply 5706/29/2013

I don't know if all Dutch are racist, but I do know that all Dutch are fugly

by Anonymousreply 5806/29/2013

[quote]Meanwhile: Italy is simply fabulous

No one seems to have a problem with Italians, everybody likes them. They're effortless sharp dressers, they smell good, speak beautifully and are not emotionally flat like Northern Europeans. Their food is popular everywhere on earth; but they also gave the world the mafia.

by Anonymousreply 5906/29/2013

You'll find R49 that R48's 85% figure comes from a major scientific survey at Eye Roll Community College.

by Anonymousreply 6006/29/2013

I also love Italians, and Italy in general.

by Anonymousreply 6106/29/2013

I love uncut cock, but that was just stupid, R54.

by Anonymousreply 6206/29/2013

R59 has never met a mammone.

by Anonymousreply 6306/29/2013

Wealthy, educated, intelligent, liberal, sophisticated, and better looking.

by Anonymousreply 6406/29/2013

I will never understand some of you. Many of the people on this board are well traveled and they are not more worldly and open minded. You'd think travel and awareness of other culture would broaden your minds, but you sound even more provincial, bigoted and narrow minded than the average suburbanite who has never left their country. The problem is not other cultures, it is you.

by Anonymousreply 6506/29/2013

I don't know many intercontinental gay couples. Are any of you American or Canadian gay men dating or married to a European right now?

by Anonymousreply 6606/29/2013

Well, the deranged alcoholism in the UK - also including but not only chav women (somehow a woman in this debased state is worse for me to see) - is really repugnant , like chubby baby people turned into zombies. Wise Brits only smoke herb. Europeans are snooty about a past that is anachronistic, if they are snooty at all.

by Anonymousreply 6706/29/2013

Contrary to popular belief, the largest slice of "white" American DNA is German.

Germans were recruited to fight on both sides of the Revolutionary war with promises of free land.

They all stayed, and fucked like rabbits.

by Anonymousreply 6806/29/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6907/02/2013

My spouse is French, R66.

by Anonymousreply 7007/02/2013

Humorless and dour. Cranky, judgmental and brusque.

by Anonymousreply 7107/02/2013

Generalizations are meaningless and this thread is too full of them. I've lived (six months minimum at a stretch) in London, Munich and Milan, have been to Prague often for reasonably extended stays and have spent a lot of time in France (not only Paris), Switzerland and Scandinavia.

In my experience, Americans are a lot friendlier than Europeans in general, all over the country and regardless of educational level, political beliefs or even bigotry. It may be superficial but to the degree it's real, it's real. Hygiene is much better in America but not perfect of course, poor people, rural people are less attentive to how they smell, dress and how often (if ever) they see a dentist than urban middle classes and up.

Europeans are more aloof as a matter of course (unless drunk, when they are likelier to be belligerent than friendly) but it really does depend on the country in question and how well you know the people you're seeing most often.

Work colleagues are usually proper and sometimes amicable but they observe boundaries (you may get asked to lunch or for a drink, but it means a slight opening to a warmer relationship if you get asked to dinner at their home, especially in Germany, Central Europe generally and Scandinavia).

How bad people smell varies on how close you have to get to them (I still have a too vivid memory of a long ride on a crowded bus in Paris a decade ago); but also there are exceptions -- they may be class or education related and generally it's gotten better among urban middle class and up than it was, or still is in rural areas.

I disliked the English the most; I thought they were snarky, backstabbing and mean spirited about one another and worse about an "outsider", a term that applied to a lot of people, including other English. Germans can be very warm if they get to know you and a place like Berlin is very like New York (so is Milan), people are more approachable and easier to get to know. However, when a German dislikes, suspects or resents you, run.

Scandinavians are hard to read and really formal, though if you can make friends especially within a circle, they are surprisingly warm and accepting (that however is a big IF).

Italians perform their warmth a lot; it's usually skin deep and many will cheat you if they can. But for a slightly hammy charm they are hard to resist. I've always thought Spanish people rather more formal than Italians but again if you make friends, there is a lot of warmth and they are very good friends.

Educational and cultural levels are much higher generally in Europe than in America where even highly educated people are often ignorant of the arts, philosophy, history and so on (though sometimes brilliant in the field they specialize in); although that doesn't mean everybody in Europe is a savant, of course.

Well, I've made my own silly generalizations and should get a blog, also I write like a fatty, so I submit this trembling.

by Anonymousreply 7207/02/2013

French people are friendly and hospitable, especially those from the south. They have strong opinions about how to live and how to eat, but they shouldn't be taken as arrogant.

Germans are refreshingly blunt and logical, but also very hospitable.

Spaniards are proud, but not boastful. They have a very "live and let live" attitude that means they don't judge harshly BUT they can be a bit nosy, especially the older ones. They are also sappy as hell. I have seen many grown Spanish men cry over very silly things (movies, babies, romantic gestures, football games),

Portuguese and Italians are very warm, but not as hospitable.

Scandinavians are perfect, or at least they think they are, and strive to present themselves as such which is nice when you are a tourist in need of assistance.

Swiss are creepy. Sort of like people from Singapore. Too perfect, too measured in their responses. Something about their society rings false.

Eastern Europeans are still fucked. The closer to Russia, the more fucked they are. Racist, willfully ignorant, homophobic, superstitious, constantly playing the victim role (with the exception of Estonians and some Lativians).

Russians are the worst. Just truly awful people. Take all the Eastern European attributes mentioned and add to them a national identity composed of dueling complexes of superiority and inferiority and you have a nasty bunch, indeed.

Obviously, I know of many exceptions in Russia, but they all tend to be creative members of very marginalized groups (feminists, gays, people don't hate Americans, artists, writers, etc.). They all feel trapped right now.

by Anonymousreply 7307/02/2013

Personally, I love meeting people from other cities and countries. I'm always fascinated by differences in culture, behavior etc. Just as with any group, there are Europeans who are nice, rude/mean, hot, ugly, fit, fat, skinny...The only Europeans I dislike are the ones who make sweeping generalizations about Americans. If anything, it shows how stupid they are. I'm actually going to meet a guy from Hungary for a date in a few days. Excited!

by Anonymousreply 7407/02/2013

I work with a nasty French bitch at an ad agency. She started about 2 months ago and has fired probably 4 or 5 people and there are several more on her list. She sticks her nose into everything and micro manages to death. She's rude. She overreacts and has accused people of getting in her face and screaming (funny, we've never had that problem with employees before she started) and immediately demands that they be fired. We're hoping she burns out fast because she's only lasted a few months at her previous jobs. Oh, and she's married but we're all assuming it's a green card marriage.

by Anonymousreply 7511/09/2013

I've known a lot of Belgiums. A little snooty like the French, similar attitude as the Dutch, but every single one of them is HUNG HUGE!

by Anonymousreply 7611/09/2013

Brits - Constantly copy American style and culture, serious alcohol problems, looks go downhill at light speed after 30, not as well-mannered as TV tries to make them out to be.

Germans - Contrary to popular belief, very nice people. Good looking.

Dutch - Biggest assholes in Europe. Many are racist. Not as laid back as people might think.

French - Very nice; the stereotype of them being snotty isn't true (no more than anywhere else).

Danish - Reserved, not very outgoing, but nice when spoken to.

by Anonymousreply 7711/09/2013

[quote]Germans - Contrary to popular belief, very nice people.

Agree* .... *as long as you ignore the whole WWII thingy.

by Anonymousreply 7811/09/2013

[quote] Apparently, nobody really cares.

You're quite right, OP

by Anonymousreply 7911/09/2013

R78 Lets not even start with that shit. We could say the same thing about white Americans and slavery days. Hell, just 50 years ago, blacks still didn't even have equal rights in the South.

Countries change.

by Anonymousreply 8011/09/2013

[quote] I think the French look effortlessly chic. But why do they wear scarves all the time?

I could never live in France. Ever since menopause, I cannot tolerate anything around my neck. Instant hot flash. I see French women wearing elaborate scarves in summer and I think, "Wait till you hit 55 girls..."

by Anonymousreply 8111/09/2013

[quote]I will add that German women all look and dress like lesbians, which is very confusing for a lesbian traveler looking for action.

This as well as many Dutch women. The Dutch women are also very big-boned and mannish looking.

by Anonymousreply 8211/09/2013

The Dutch can be REALLY rude and judgmental for no reason sometimes. Obviously not all, but it seems to be a cultural thing for some of them.

The British really do copy Americans (like the Canadians) and the internet has made things cross over the Atlantic even faster than before. I'll never forget the first time I heard a pack of British boys in London saying "dude" to each other. Just hilarious.

The French are so hit or miss. They can be very nice and cool or very snobby and rude.

Italians are usually the friendliest of the bunch from my experience.

The Spanish are the sluttiest, and like the French, are either very nice/cool or very snobby/rude.

Russians are typically ice cold to strangers but very friendly, jovial and loving around friends/loved ones.

1 thing I hate is the bohemian/Euro hippie and Euro trash styles of dress. So ugly.

Things are getting better, but I still wish more attention was paid to having nice teeth. I'm not talking about overly bleached teeth, but please, no large gaps in the front of your mouth and have your teeth be more white than yellow or brown.

by Anonymousreply 8311/09/2013

I've found Spaniards to rather cold. The French have been nice to deal with, but I speak the language (at least without butchering it too badly). I'm kind of amazed that foreigners crow about how boorish Americans are, yet come here to subject themselves to being among millions of us?

by Anonymousreply 8411/09/2013

Fat, obsessed with celebrities and guns. Oh wait that's us.

by Anonymousreply 8511/09/2013

R23 posted a while back complaining that all German women dress like lesbians. I think German girls are great! Never met a German girl i didn't like. Well, except one or two, but these were really in the minority. And even when they're straight, they won't totally rule out sleeping with you.

by Anonymousreply 8611/09/2013

Italians *IN ITALY* are great.

by Anonymousreply 8711/09/2013

Czechs are tons of fun.

by Anonymousreply 8811/11/2013

[quote]obsessed with celebrities

Not just Americans. I think the Brits started the reality tv craze and their gossip rags are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 8911/11/2013

[quote]Actually, I started this so people could respond to something besides the "How do Americans appear to Europeans" thread.

Who knows whether the OP is still hanging around several months later, but ... This is a predominantly American board. We already KNOW how Europeans appear to Americans because we ARE American. The opposite question is therefore much more interesting and deserved more replies, IMO. But I suppose OP is among the Butthurt Brigade who loses his shit at the mere idea that somebody might have something remotely critical to say about Americans.

by Anonymousreply 9011/11/2013

French people can be very kind and loyal friends when they know and trust you, but drama-prone and irritable if they do not. No one likes to be made fun of in public, and the French are notably proud and detest losing face in a public situation.

They hated their former president and hounded him from office. Now they hate the man who took his place even worse. Their political landscape is more rancorous than ours, and that's saying a lot.

The French rapport with Muslims and minorities is very fraught. The society suffers from a high level of tension. It's a pity because they are talented and smart.

by Anonymousreply 9111/11/2013

Other than England or Ireland, I tend to associate continental Europeans with being Jew-haters. I'm not saying British or Irish people don't hate Jews, because I'm sure they do . But anti-semitism seems part of the cultural landscape of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 9211/11/2013

How do they appear?

How do the appear!

Higher minimum wages, humane working hours, double the amount of holidays, free health care, great education, great pension plans, deep culture, dozens of countries to explore, a belief in the common good and a belief that life isn't just about wage slavery:

they appear fucking BLESSED.

by Anonymousreply 9311/11/2013

"You take your Germany, France, and Spain, roll them all together and it wouldn’t give us room to park our cars. We’re the big boys, Jack, the original, giant, economy-sized, new and improved butt kickers of all time. When we snort coke in Houston, people lose their hats in Cap d’Antibes. And we’ve got an American Express card credit limit higher than your piss-ant metric numbers go. You say our country’s never been invaded? You’re right, little buddy. Because I’d like to see the needle-dicked foreigners who’d have the guts to try. We drink napalm to get our hearts started in the morning. A rape and a mugging is our way of saying 'Cheerio.' Hell can’t hold our sock-hops. We walk taller, talk louder, spit further, fuck longer and buy more things than you know the names of. I’d rather be a junkie in a New York City jail than king, queen, and jack of all Europeans. We eat little countries like this for breakfast and shit them out before lunch.”

P.J. O'Rourke, Holidays in Hell

by Anonymousreply 9411/11/2013

LOL R94. I read that years ago. What was he writing in reference to?

by Anonymousreply 9511/11/2013

The British are bitchy and love to criticize Americans. They go to America and every place they visit they stand around making fun of everything and criticizing it.

by Anonymousreply 9611/11/2013

[quote]The British are bitchy and love to criticize Americans.

The irony of it all is how they criticize and bitch about Americans, yet they copy our culture, are obsessed with our music and movies, and move over here the first chance they get.

by Anonymousreply 9711/11/2013

Europe contains more than 60 separate countries most speaking their own language. The European Union has 28 member states. How come Americans think they all do and think the same.

by Anonymousreply 9811/11/2013

It's the closing to his chapter, Among the Euro-Weenies. He wrote (and said) it after he'd been in Europe for a month and was sick of hearing Europeans rag on the US every single day. Eventually one Londoner resorted to "your country's never been invaded" to defend the European attitude toward Americans, and he lost it.

His disdain of the French is particularly amusing, and in my opinion, dead accurate. "French women, whether pretty or not, all walk around with their noses in the air - and pretty big noses they usually are. I guess this is what's meant by their "sense of style." Where did this sense of style thing get started? The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and on average not dressed any better than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know…. I called my girlfriend who was back in the States and asked her to recommend a good place for dinner. "There's the Basserie Lipp on the Avenue St. Germaine," she said, "or La Coupole in Montmartre." "Not La Coupole," I said. "I've been there before. That's the place that's crowded and noisy and smells bad and everybody's rude as hell." "I think you just described France," she said."

I also loved this passage at the beginning of the chapter: "Say what you want about "land of opportunity" and "purple mountains majesty above the fruited plain," our forebears moved to the United States because they were sick to death of lukewarm beer - and lukewarm coffee - and lukewarm bathwater and lukewarm mystery cutlets with mucky colored mushroom cheese junk on them. Everything in Europe is lukewarm except the radiators. You could use the radiators to make party ice. But nobody does. I'll bet you could walk from the Ural Mountains to the beach at Biarritz and not find one rock hard, crystal clear, fist sized American ice cube."

My personal opinion of Europe can be summed up by various reviews and pictures of Pontins Southport Holiday Park. It's telling to me how many in the UK consider this inexplicably popular yet shockingly unsanitary, mold-infested hellhole "not that bad."

by Anonymousreply 9911/12/2013

I lives in Barcelona for two years (as a student) and made short travels to France and Italy. So I only know people from those 3 countries.

My experiences:

French (Paris): I found them to be extremely cordial, albeit a little cold (and that's fine with me, me being of a rather distant personality).

Italy (Rome): Filled with tourists, and the Italians there were either rude or upper class that they don't give you the time of the day. (Bear in mind that I stayed there for just 1 week, and in a tourist fasion).

Italy (Florence): I spent 1 month there, and I loved the city. The people were friendly enough, and it's true that almost everyone dresses nicely.

Spain: It really depends from where the person is (or his family/ancestors). Catalans are rude, ugly and racists. But people from the South provinces (even if they have lived in Catalonia for decades) are just wonderful human beings. I can vouch for that. Funny, loving, easy going, and when they open their houses for you, they really go all the way to make you feel as part of their family.

by Anonymousreply 10011/12/2013

They appear on TV, movies and magazines.

by Anonymousreply 10211/12/2013

Guns should have been banned in the USA back in the 1970s, before they got out of control. Now, thanks to the gun freaks we're less safe. Of course they argue that tired Mexico bullshit which makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 10311/12/2013

To me, they come off as nerdy and much less masculine. They seem more cultured due to longer history and close vicinity to other countries. We Americans can drive to Mexico or Canada. Euro seems sketchy.

by Anonymousreply 10411/12/2013

Some are very nice. I would assume they are the less ignorant of the bunch.

I deal with Europeans on a daily basis and it seems that most are cheap, want everything for free, disrespectful towards Americans, have a false sense of entitlement, some don't know how to smile, some need showers, some think their own shit smells great and they are stuck up, arrogant, cocky, and some just flat out think we are out to get them. I think the thing that bothers me the most is some just flat out lack manners and are disrespectful. Its as if they were taught hate from early childhood and it resinates all around them.

Americans like to be treated with respect. That's if you want us to respect you in return. If you haven't been taught these basic principals then don't expect anything from us. Don't come to America for vacation if you hate us. It makes us want to puke because we can read you a mile away. If you hate America that much then stay home. If you don't like spending your money in America because you think we are out to get you then just remember your teaching us to do the same. If you have a false sense of entitlement and your cheap and disrespectful or miserably hateful then will mirror you.

by Anonymousreply 10512/14/2013

No wonder most Europeans call Americans uneducated and narrow-minded. But you sound like an extreme version of that.

by Anonymousreply 10612/15/2013

This is clearly about OP and the bad choices he makes as friends and not a commentary on any other culture.

by Anonymousreply 10712/15/2013

R22 and r105 are right. I have several married into my family. The French are especially annoying.

by Anonymousreply 10812/15/2013

Lol at the guys disserting about europeans and certainly never meet one in their life.

by Anonymousreply 10912/15/2013

As a European, I am embarrassed for the U.S. to have R105 as a representative.

"Remember your teaching us"? "Resinated"?

by Anonymousreply 11012/15/2013

Whenever I think of Americans I think of Nancy Mitford's Hector Dextor.

by Anonymousreply 11112/15/2013

Are we actually supposed to believe that, after he rattles off a list of euro-stereotypes, that OP has any non-imaginary friends at all?

by Anonymousreply 11212/15/2013

The Paris Metro reeked of piss in the middle of July and more than half of them walked around with disgusting armpit odor. Don't try to fucking pretend it's not true. Take a fucking shower already.

by Anonymousreply 11312/15/2013

I agree, Paris metro stinks as hell and I'm french.

by Anonymousreply 11412/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 11512/15/2013

I find Italians cowardly.

by Anonymousreply 11612/15/2013

Agree completely with r93. On the other hand ,r9 must be a new kind of moron. The Welsh are the very best thing about Britian. Kind generous fun-loving incredible artists and musicans. They are the most beautiful gems of the Great Britian. One day soon may the dragon wave free.

by Anonymousreply 11712/15/2013

lol at the outrage by some overly sensitive Euros and Europhiles in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11812/15/2013

The Welsh: it's the cleanest country I've ever been in- they make the Swiss look like slobs. They love Americans and are very hospitable to them but damn are they rude to the English.

by Anonymousreply 11912/15/2013

Every straight European man that I've ever met has been a smug know it all prick.

by Anonymousreply 12012/15/2013

I spent 2months living and traveling around Europe (France and Italy mostly). My take on the people is the French are just sort of condescending, but I've never been treated so poorly as an American as I was in Europe, mostly in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 12112/15/2013

I am an European who's been living in NYC for over 15 years. My take on this is that no place is perfect.

We're talking two very different mentalities. Americans are casual people in some regards; in other, they are very self-serving, especially when it comes to work. This is a country of individuals. I would say that I have never experienced self-motivated generosity from the people I worked with. Flattery is the number one currency among the business people, precisely because it costs nothing. But I love the live and let live attitude of NYC; I love the fact that I never felt like a stranger living here. I experience Americans as non-judgemental.

Europeans can be maddening know-it-alls. I had friends visiting from Europe who'd try to explain to me what America and Americans are like. Insufferable to no end. But, Europeans love to spend time talking about life, art, politics... everything. And I mean, daily. I truly miss that kind of compulsive involvement in the world.

I would say that Americans and Europeans value time differently. In the most basic way, you can see that in the way American and European films portray the world.

by Anonymousreply 12212/15/2013

So, according to this thread, Europeans smell and are rude, at least in the eyes of Americans?

by Anonymousreply 12312/15/2013

Europeans do smell. Especially the men, who like to slap some cologne over the days old funk.

by Anonymousreply 12412/15/2013

I would like to add that I think Americans do self-censor themselves a lot. (Not here on DL, which is why I like this site.) The reason is, you can easily be labeled as a little difficult or complicated (both perfectly human) if you are not careful about expressing your true feelings and thoughts. One is expected to be "nice" and "fun to be around" all the time, and that's not always easy.

by Anonymousreply 12512/15/2013

[quote]One is expected to be "nice" and "fun to be around" all the time, and that's not always easy.

Read an Edmund White line years ago about how Americans smile more readily and frequently than others. He attributed it to the violence that pervades our culture and lurks beneath commonplace interactions. The smiling face is an attempt to ward off the ever present possibility of violence.

by Anonymousreply 12612/15/2013

Are you saying I smell, r125?

by Anonymousreply 12712/15/2013

[quote]The Welsh are the very best thing about Britian.

Oh, my sides!

The Welsh smell, and have miserable attitudes. Horrid people.

by Anonymousreply 12812/15/2013

Gosh. You people. I've lived in the UK, France, Switzerland and Italy, working for international organizations. I'm an American. The biggest, most humorless assholes I've ever worked with were Americans.

They talk about Aussies suffering from 'cultural cringe' , but Americans living abroad are even worse.

by Anonymousreply 12912/16/2013

R10 - Belgiums? You mean BELGIANS, don't you?! They live in Brussels and Belgium is the capital? Do you mean those?

by Anonymousreply 13012/16/2013

My reaction exactly r129. Add troll-looking with grating accents. "Best thing about Britain my eye", it would pay to encounter a few Welsh before lavishing praise on them.

by Anonymousreply 13112/17/2013

Not only that, the Welsh are notorious for being inhospitable. [Bold]NOTORIOUS![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 13212/17/2013

Well that didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 13312/17/2013

BS, OP. Or, BSOP. Dutch haven't tolerated UK binge drinking and public nonesense since famous soccer (football) fights initiated by British yobs in Amesterdam many years ago. In fact, any behavior earning negative public attention is highly frowned upon from any tourists or visitors. Period. The last 5 years have seen a great deal of national debate over Amsterdam's status as a party town. Red light districts have been reclaimed and many hash-bars have been closed and those still open face greater police scrutiny. Amsterdam civic leaders believe its reputation of a party town, a sin city, is unearned and this kind of tourist isn't necessary for survival of city (Shades of the same civic decision in Fort Lauderdale, which abandoned Spring Break, Inc. image and money without loss of revenue).

by Anonymousreply 13412/17/2013

I don't think there's any group where you won't have people on here saying negative things about them.

You can start a thread about blind, Filipino-Norwegian Buddhist women and they'll be a DLer who claims they met a few who were assholes.

by Anonymousreply 13512/17/2013

Germans can embarrass you with their directness. There are things you just don't someone to their face, but Germans don't seem to have a filter. The stereotype of the rude, self-important French is largely true in my experience. Scandinavians are flat and boring. The British can be miserable and pessimistic but have a great sense of humor, which I enjoy.

[quote]Spain: It really depends from where the person is (or his family/ancestors). Catalans are rude, ugly and racists. But people from the South provinces (even if they have lived in Catalonia for decades) are just wonderful human beings. I can vouch for that. Funny, loving, easy going, and when they open their houses for you, they really go all the way to make you feel as part of their family.

This is so true. We could be talking about two entirely separate cultures here. The Catalans are repulsive, ugly people with an unwelcoming, unappealing culture. They cheat, lie and steal and will stab you in the back the minute you blink. If you're talking to Catalan, you learn to be on your guard because they're probably thinking what they can get out of you.

Andalusians, on the other hand, are the extreme opposite: Warm, happy, fun-loving, welcoming people who love their food, music and enjoy being around other people. They will invite a stranger to their house at the drop of a hat and when you get there, the entire family will embrace you and make you feel like a guest of honor. They will be genuinely interested in you and your culture and ply you with food and wine, and take offence if you don't clear your plate. I have NEVER, in my life met a more hospitable people, especially considering Andulusia is generally poorer, than other parts of Spain. Seeing an Andalusian spontaneously bust a flamenco move isn't unusual especially compared to the servere and uptight Catalans. And their landscape, architecture and music is breathtaking, like from a storybook.

If you think I'm hating, check out this stomach-churning racist incident in the Barcelona subway by a Catalan against a helpless South American immigrant. Vile!

by Anonymousreply 13612/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!