Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is there a cure for hiccoughs?

I've been getting hiccoughs nonstop today. Is there a remedy for it since I hate having that spazzing feeling for a whole minute then have it stop and start again.

by Anonymousreply 3306/28/2013

Hold your breath, count slowly to 15, takes 3-4 sips of water, continue to hold your breath for as long as you can.

by Anonymousreply 106/28/2013

Suck on a lemon wedge soaked in bitters, sugar optional. Old bartender's trick.

by Anonymousreply 206/28/2013

Ten times, extremely fast do the GGPCWA (Gay Gasp Pearl Clutch Wrist Arched) move.

by Anonymousreply 306/28/2013

R3, don't you mean bend and...SNAP?

by Anonymousreply 406/28/2013

Nothing worse. Except vomiting/nausea which is my least favourite thing in the world. And I have been sick for the past few weeks. :(

by Anonymousreply 506/28/2013

No, there is no cure for the hiccoughs since there is no such thing. There is, however, a cure for really bad spelling and its called a dictionary.

by Anonymousreply 606/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 706/28/2013

All cures do basically the same thing, less oxygen and more carbon dioxide.

Easiest way is to breath into a paper bag for about a minute. It lets in just enough fresh air to mix with what you exhale.

Or, just swallow water slowly without taking a breath of air, but that's much harder.

by Anonymousreply 806/28/2013

Swallow a teaspoonful of sugar. It's not that easy. Works every time for me.

by Anonymousreply 906/28/2013

r9 is correct. Swallowing a teaspoonful of granulated sugar has always stopped my hiccups.

by Anonymousreply 1006/28/2013

R6. What is the cure for being an incorrect prick?

by Anonymousreply 1106/28/2013

An actual old bartender introduced me to R2's solution, and it works like magic every time.

by Anonymousreply 1206/28/2013

They're muscle spasms; anything you do which causes you to relax for a bit should do the trick

by Anonymousreply 1306/28/2013

R14 then deep throating a big cock will do the trick!

Or just drinking a glass of water.

by Anonymousreply 1406/28/2013

They are the spasm of your diaphragm muscle under your ribs. Lift your rib cage as high as you can, stretching that muscle to its limit, and hold it for about a minute.

by Anonymousreply 1506/28/2013

I like catsup!

by Anonymousreply 1606/28/2013

JHC, it took enough posts for people to see the misspelling, hello?!?

by Anonymousreply 1806/28/2013

Drink water from the opposite side of the glass.

It's hard. You have to bend way over and stretch your diaphragm in the process, which is why it frequently works. Plus, you're thinking so hard about how to fucking do it that it distracts you enough that they go away.

by Anonymousreply 1906/28/2013

Echoing others, the only solution I've regularly had success with has been holding my breath while drinking continuously. I usually keep going until I can't hold my breath anymore. That generally solves it.

by Anonymousreply 2006/28/2013

Try sticking your finger in your mouth, as if you're attempting to make yourself vomit, but you have to do at the exact moment you feel the hiccup coming. It's a tad bit complicated but when you get it right, it works when nothing else does. Trust me. And remember to total relax afterwards. Don't watch anything funny.

by Anonymousreply 2106/28/2013

Besides the spoonful of sugar, what works for me is to plug my nose and ears while drinking water through a straw.

by Anonymousreply 2206/28/2013

Be careful, if you hiccup, sneeze and fart simultaneously you will be thrown to another dimension

by Anonymousreply 2306/28/2013

OP, if you are having frequent episodes of hiccuping, you might want to think about what you're doing to cause it. If it's not something you're doing, there maybe something causing it. I wouldn't overlook it.

I said to think about what you're doing because carbonated drinks set me off. Easy enough to avoid them. Hopefully your solution will be as simple.

by Anonymousreply 2406/28/2013

If you can force yourself to burp, that has always worked for me. I just swallow as much air as I can and let out a big burp, for me at least, it has worked every time.

by Anonymousreply 2506/28/2013

I've heard chronic hiccups are a symptom of pancreatic ca.

by Anonymousreply 2606/28/2013

That's the only way that works for me, r20.

by Anonymousreply 2706/28/2013

What I've always done to get rid of them: take a big breath, then keep taking in breath until my lungs are so full that I've got to force more air down by swallowing it one mouthful at a time.

Get to the point where you can't even take in another "sip" of air, and then hold it for as long as possible. You'll feel a lot of pressure in your chest and diaphragm as you fight your body's impulse to expel the air. That pressure should be making your muscles so taught that it's impossible to hiccup (if you still feel hiccup spasms, you haven't sucked in enough air). Silently count to 20 or 30. Then exhale forcefully. Hiccups should be totally gone after that.

Some of the other suggestions on this thread sound good but most require that you go *get* something which may not be readily available, like sugar or a glass of water or a paper bag. The lemon wedge soaked in bitters sounds delightful but who has the time?

by Anonymousreply 2806/28/2013

Pineapple juice (including juice from canned pineapple).

by Anonymousreply 2906/28/2013

[quote]The lemon wedge soaked in bitters sounds delightful but who has the time?

I tend to get hiccups when I've been drinking, and thus a bar is often conveniently nearby. If I'm at home, I find the gulping down of water until I can take no more works for me too.

by Anonymousreply 3006/28/2013

put a teaspoon of sugar on your tongue and hold your breath until it dissolves. Works for me everytime!

by Anonymousreply 3106/28/2013

Not R6, but I have never in my life heard of hiccups being called "hiccoughs," despite Rll's link.

by Anonymousreply 3206/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!